• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

HaL64

Main problem at the top of the page was due to a corroded trade on the motherboard that had to be repaired. Other issue was I couldn't get a green signal for some reason. Worked correct on composite, but my amp and the amp I purchased from someone wasn't fixing the problem. Turned out the green leg on the 8 pin din I used was slightly too long and had rubbed mask of the board causing it to ground on the copper below. It was frustrating as fuck because I could trace the signal all the way to the green pin on my scart cable, but couldn't figure out where the issue was.

Very nice. Glad to see you got it working. How much did you pay for it?
I had something similar happen once. Since then, whenever I have a problem I always test it by just touching each pin with the multimeter to ground.

woodypop

^ Niiiiiice. That cover art is gorgeous!

I'm not much of a Truxton fan, but that's a great pick up. How does it compare to the Genesis version?

Celine

^ Niiiiiice. That cover art is gorgeous!

I'm not much of a Truxton fan, but that's a great pick up. How does it compare to the Genesis version?
Music in the PC Engine version kick all kind of asses.
Much better than the music in the arcade/MegaDrive versions.

reson8or

Very nice. that's another one on my list. Has gone way up in price. Were you able to get a good deal on it?

Would'nt say good deal, but it was what I was willing to pay and was a little cheaper than what was on offer recently. It doesn't come up for auction too often.

reson8or

Music in the PC Engine version kick all kind of asses.
Much better than the music in the arcade/MegaDrive versions.

While I haven't played the PC Engine ver. yet (curse you work) I've read it is a lot harder and more comparable to the Arcade version. Really looking forward to digging in tonight.

Bar81

While I haven't played the PC Engine ver. yet (curse you work) I've read it is a lot harder and more comparable to the Arcade version. Really looking forward to digging in tonight.

It's retarded hard to the point of being stupid and nothing like the PCB. I have the PCB, MD and PCE versions and unless you put it on easy, the PCE version is a masochistic endeavor.

reson8or

How's this compared to the Genesis version?

this is the only impression i saw so far here

I don't have the genesis version to compare, but may check out an emulated version for curiosity sake.

What I can say is I'm very much enjoying it so far. I've seen people complain about the difficulty, and yes its balls nasty hard, but I've yet to be discouraged or get the defeated feeling. I was always able to push a little further with each play.

I played on normal, but there is a custom menu available in this version by hitting exactly 7100 in the first stage, resetting then hitting select > start. It offers several options to increase/decrease amount of ships, extends and even a "slim" screen mode, sound test, etc. very cool.

woodypop

Random question:

Is the A/V cable for the Super Grafx compatible with the PC Engine Core?

Edit: my Duo-R A/V cable seems to fit the PC Engine Core. Is it the same cable for all three consoles?
After some testing, I can confirm that the PC Engine Core, Duo-R, and Super Grafx can all use the same A/V cable. The same cable can be used with the Model 1 SEGA Genesis, except in mono.

After some testing, I can confirm that the PC Engine Core, Duo-R, and Super Grafx can all use the same A/V cable. The same cable can be used with the Model 1 SEGA Genesis, except in mono.

That's cool, so the pinout is the same with Sega? I show the connector is similar on neo geo but they aren't compatible.

woodypop

That's cool, so the pinout is the same with Sega? I show the connector is similar on neo geo but they aren't compatible.
Yeah, same plug into all the units. Just don't connect the red RCA into your TV when using the Genesis, otherwise you'll get a mad buzzing. I did that and was thinking "wtf?!", until I remembered that the Model 1 outputs stereo only from the front headphone jack.

Re: the neo geo, do you mean the AES system? I'm not familiar with its connections. I haven't checked with my NGCD units though. I've only been using RCA-to-RCA cables with those.

Rydeen

So this is my current PC Engine collection so far, just started collecting for it this past year. The last two major consoles I hadn't collected anything for were this and the Saturn, and of the two, the PC Engine has been much more fulfilling to collect for, the software is more to my liking and prices are less crazy that the Saturn stuff out there. I love how distinct the library is for the system, there's very little overlap with the SNES or Genesis in terms of what's available for it, lots of great exclusives. Love all the Namco arcade ports, too.

img_20140605_1800560aqn3.png

Yeah, same plug into all the units. Just don't connect the red RCA into your TV when using the Genesis, otherwise you'll get a mad buzzing. I did that and was thinking "wtf?!", until I remembered that the Model 1 outputs stereo only from the front headphone jack.

Re: the neo geo, do you mean the AES system? I'm not familiar with its connections. I haven't checked with my NGCD units though. I've only been using RCA-to-RCA cables with those.
I was specifically referring to the NGCD. I have both that and my MD1 on an RGB switch so it would save me one of the inputs if I can use the same cable on both systems. I have them separate because I was told the pins were different.

woodypop

I was specifically referring to the NGCD. I have both that and my MD1 on an RGB switch so it would save me one of the inputs if I can use the same cable on both systems. I have them separate because I was told the pins were different.
Yeah, you're right. I checked last night and the pin outs are different between the NGCD and Genesis Model 1 (NGCD has more holes, so I'm assuming it also takes more pins.)

syphic

Neo Member
So this is my current PC Engine collection so far, just started collecting for it this past year. The last two major consoles I hadn't collected anything for were this and the Saturn, and of the two, the PC Engine has been much more fulfilling to collect for, the software is more to my liking and prices are less crazy that the Saturn stuff out there. I love how distinct the library is for the system, there's very little overlap with the SNES or Genesis in terms of what's available for it, lots of great exclusives. Love all the Namco arcade ports, too.

img_20140605_1800560aqn3.png

Another thing to love is how you can fit all of this awesomeness into a small bag. Always take my Coregrafx and like 15-20 loose games with me when I travel. Even better if you have an Everdrive.

Rydeen

Another thing to love is how you can fit all of this awesomeness into a small bag. Always take my Coregrafx and like 15-20 loose games with me when I travel. Even better if you have an Everdrive.
Oh yeah, in fact I was just about to put it all in a little case and go over to a friend's place with it.

Mzo

Got Sidearms and Veigues today as well as some really cheap imports: Cosmic Fantasy 1, 3, and 4 (part 2), Ys IV, and some game with Lum on the cover because my friend told me to find out what it was.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, that seems like it is a pretty common cable from back in the day. It is also the same one used in the Sigma Supergun (the composite cable).

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
I could never afford any of those systems back then, but man i remember i used to be jealous by all the very very heavily japanese games and artwork style that came out for this system. I loved my nes and snes but hated how every games box art and advert art was changed to muscly commando barbarians.
( keep in mind this is way before internet or anime was well known in america, and the best glimpses of that artwork i could get was in articles and advertisements for import companies in the back of EGM)

unfortunately then this happened..lets call it NEC's Dreamcast

PC-FX.jpg

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
Umm you guys are taking it the wrong way, im not comparing the machines in technical ability or "coolness". Both machines brought their respective companies to an end in the console market

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

I'd say with the PC Engine and Turbografx-16 that I'm pretty close to wrapped up. Definitely more money went into these that some of the other systems, especially getting my PC Engine itself (I have a region-modded briefcase setup) as well as some of the CD games making quite a dent, like Rondo of Blood. If you can't read the Japanese spines you can see what I have on my Backloggery.
( HuCard / CD )

Click here for the full album.

Only showing the face for those three since they don't have spines on them. Bloody Wolf doesn't have the original case, unfortunately.

Teknoman

I need to get my system modded. Maybe if I find a TG16 game in the wild or end up snagging Neutopia series, that'll give me the push.

On that note, lol at Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer voice acting. Logan sounds way older than he should + bored with the situation, and the enemies have some Paper Mario'ish retorts.

Mercutio

I need to get my system modded. Maybe if I find a TG16 game in the wild or end up snagging Neutopia series, that'll give me the push.

On that note, lol at Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer voice acting. Logan sounds way older than he should + bored with the situation, and the enemies have some Paper Mario'ish retorts.

I thought I'd be chomping at the bit to get my PCE region modded to play TG16, but I've had just no incentive at all. TG16 games have become super overpriced, I can play the disc games regardless, and the card art on American releases is so lame in comparison to the Japanese cards.

Heck, I've even been playing Neutopia in Japanese and have had no problem at all.

Rydeen

I thought I'd be chomping at the bit to get my PCE region modded to play TG16, but I've had just no incentive at all. TG16 games have become super overpriced, I can play the disc games regardless, and the card art on American releases is so lame in comparison to the Japanese cards.

Heck, I've even been playing Neutopia in Japanese and have had no problem at all.
Yeah, I had the same realization. There's almost no reason to start collecting for the overpriced and lackluster library of the TG-16 when you can just collect for the cheaper and much larger library of the PC-Engine. Let's just say that since I started collecting for it, I now know why it was number 2 in the console war in Japan and dead last in North America, NEC's US division and Hudson US had no idea what they were doing.

Mercutio

Yeah, I had the same realization. There's almost no reason to start collecting for the overpriced and lackluster library of the TG-16 when you can just collect for the cheaper and much larger library of the PC-Engine. Let's just say that since I started collecting for it, I now know why it was number 2 in the console war in Japan and dead last in North America, NEC's US division and Hudson US had no idea what they were doing.

And it's absolutely amazing to play the early games, then play something like Dracula X, or Sapphire. The system REALLY matured incredibly over the years, and as opposed to say the 32X, the addons were actually really cool and had obvious benefits.

Teknoman

Its really that easy to play in Japanese huh? Have a good translation guide handy?

Mercutio

Its really that easy to play in Japanese huh? Have a good translation guide handy?

Well, I don't really know what people in houses are saying to me, but as long as you're willing to much around and investigate every nook and cranny it's not too hard to progress. It's still a hell of a lot more clear what to do next than a lot of poorly translated American NES games. Like, Castlevania 2 is WAY harder to figure out than this game has been.

Someone quick, talk me out of buying a PC-FX.

How in the hell would anyone get talked INTO buying such a thing? Like, what do you intend to get out of it? I'm not trying to be a punk, I'm genuinely curious.

Teknoman

Well, I don't really know what people in houses are saying to me, but as long as you're willing to much around and investigate every nook and cranny it's not too hard to progress. It's still a hell of a lot more clear what to do next than a lot of poorly translated American NES games. Like, Castlevania 2 is WAY harder to figure out than this game has been.

How in the hell would anyone get talked INTO buying such a thing? Like, what do you intend to get out of it? I'm not trying to be a punk, I'm genuinely curious.

Oh wow. Yeah CV2 was hell getting through in certain points. Cool, guess i've got no real reason to mod it.

PC-FX do look kinda cool lol.

baphomet

One of the coolest looking consoles ever? Absolutely.

Zeroigar looks fun, and I have pretty much every other console out there. Its down to this or a Neo Geo CD, and I already have a Neo Geo MVS. I'm content to purchase it, play it for an hour, and pack it up until I feel like playing it again.

Teknoman

Zeroigar looks fun, and I have pretty much every other console out there. Its down to this or a Neo Geo CD, and I already have a Neo Geo MVS. I'm content to purchase it, play it for an hour, and pack it up until I feel like playing it again.

Well if its between those two, PC-FX i'd say. Would be nice to see a personal experience post about it too.

Mercutio

Then hell yeah, it's a way more interesting curiosity than the Neo CD if you've got the real thing in an MVS. Seems like you totally know what you're getting and it might be a fun surprise in some respects. Zeroigar does look pretty neat. Is it readily attainable, or are you just gonna burn it?

Top Bottom