• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

baphomet

Slim chance anyone knows, but it can't hurt to ask.

So my supergrafx arrived today from Japan. There's a really strange issue that I can't figure anything about online. When I play a supergrafx game it doesn't seem to be displaying anything actually generated by the supergrafx. I get lots of white boxes in mado granzort, ghouls and ghosts, and battle ace. The other games won't even boot.

I've already posted on PC engine fx, but I figured it can't hurt to ask here either.

HaL64

Slim chance anyone knows, but it can't hurt to ask.

So my supergrafx arrived today from Japan. There's a really strange issue that I can't figure anything about online. When I play a supergrafx game it doesn't seem to be displaying anything actually generated by the supergrafx. I get lots of white boxes in mado granzort, ghouls and ghosts, and battle ace. The other games won't even boot.

I've already posted on PC engine fx, but I figured it can't hurt to ask here either.

Good news is, it is the coolest looking console ever made, and you have one.
Bad news is sounds to me like memory or caps. Hopefully just caps. but seems unlikely.
Possibly the cart slots or hucards just need to be cleaned? That's usually why games won't boot for me.
Was a it an untested deal from Japan? In other words actually tested and determined not to work so listed as "untested"?

baphomet

Good news is, it is the coolest looking console ever made, and you have one.
Bad news is sounds to me like memory or caps. Hopefully just caps. but seems unlikely.
Possibly the cart slots or hucards just need to be cleaned? That's usually why games won't boot for me.
Was a it an untested deal from Japan? In other words actually tested and determined not to work so listed as "untested"?

Definitely not caps, nor hu card slot. It was sold as tested and working, but giving them the benefit of the doubt, when you boot up mado granzort(which came with the console) it works fine unless you notice that the " press run" and Hudson copyright are white boxes. Most of the games play fine, but only the parts generate by the PC engine are shown. So there are giant white squares where there should be the graphics generated by the supergrafx part of the console.

I can't find any information on this happening to anyone else on the net, so my guess is its fucked.

uPOHJry.jpg

C4wgkys.jpg

52oOpG6.jpg

IrishNinja

damn baphos, i'm sorry to see that man. hopefully someone on PCE can get you sorted, those guys are like wizards with this stuff.

Welp, I just let my most wanted PC-Engine game, Madou Monogatari, go away on eBay.

I thought it would be okay to wait a day or two to gather the courage to make my offer (and justify what it was going to cost) and somebody else got it.

On one hand, I'm trying to curb impulse buys, but it is constantly costing me cool crap, like that $75 mint Bubble Bobble 2 NES I saw last year and said "Oh, I'll get it tomorrow."

Welp, I just let my most wanted PC-Engine game, Madou Monogatari, go away on eBay.

I thought it would be okay to wait a day or two to gather the courage to make my offer (and justify what it was going to cost) and somebody else got it.

On one hand, I'm trying to curb impulse buys, but it is constantly costing me cool crap, like that $75 mint Bubble Bobble 2 NES I saw last year and said "Oh, I'll get it tomorrow."

I was trying to stop the impulse buys, but this month I have gone off the deep end. I already have a ps1, but I just picked up another because it was a good price and region modded. Sometimes I just have no control.

Teknoman

75 for BB2, you really shouldnt have waited on that :(

The first of my two ultra-slow orders came in today.

These was the most pricey order I made, but I paid less than what they typically go for.

GC2qJRm.jpg

I finally got my PCE Duo-R from DoujinDance, along with Dragon Spirit and Valis II. I cannot wait to put in some more time on it, just awesome so far.

Shining

no lie, good cityscapes like that make me wanna try out games too!

It looks like it's a visual novel, so you probably won't get much in the way of opinions here.

Funny thing is, I want to see the anime after recently seeing a preview.

It's dirt cheap so i might as well buy it. Can't get anough of dem good ol' cityscapes. Always remember: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700000

Yeah, the anime looks mighty fine.

syphic

Neo Member
Thought some of you may get a kick out of this. So a buddy of mine in Vegas was at his local Goodwill sifting thru a crate of computer junk and came across this. Yes its some kind of surge protector molded from a Turbografx 16 controller

10352560_1391734317782140_8598002849477050471_n.jpg

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I had an unexpected encounter with a PC Engine lot at a local thrift store today :D

I got all these 20% off the marked price because I had a birthday discount too.

Teknoman

I had an unexpected encounter with a PC Engine lot at a local thrift store today :D

This is simply mindblowing in that NO TG16 stuff let alone PC engine usually shows up at a thrift store...or even the majority of flea markets!

I wonder why some were 14:99 though?

Evenball

This is simply mindblowing in that NO TG16 stuff let alone PC engine usually shows up at a thrift store...or even the majority of flea markets!

I wonder why some were 14:99 though?

I was shocked to see it myself. Some were a little more expensive because VV usually does their homework on Video Game related items and they knew those ones were usually going for $20-$30.

The most expensive video game related item I'd seen there before was a CIB Donkey Kong Game and Watch for $99. I didn't buy that, but someone else sure did later that day.

woodypop

Random question:

Is the A/V cable for the Super Grafx compatible with the PC Engine Core?

Edit: my Duo-R A/V cable seems to fit the PC Engine Core. Is it the same cable for all three consoles?

No picture, since it's just a single card, but I got Cadash this week.

One of the first orders I placed on my PC-Engine binge has probably the two games I was most anxious to actually PLAY and they are still MIA. My estimate ends on June 11th, so I'm still having to be nice about it, but given the number of orders I've placed from Japan since that have already arrived, I'm starting to get worried/annoyed.

I might have one last batch of games (waiting on a reply to an offer) and then I for real this time have to calm down for a few months, unless I see something really good for a really good deal, haha.

So I'm at a point now where I'm actively playing and enjoying my game room, but I'm also starting to hesitate because I feel like I should wait until I get my setup all juiced up. Like, s-video mods for everything (and a TV that'll use it) or RGB mods and one of those upscalers. Of course, either route is going to take a lot of cake, so if I wait, it's going to be a long wait.

I'm going to buy some nice speakers today though, so not having to play Lunar: The Silver Star on TV speakers will be a nice step up, at least.

what's the best star soldier game?
I'm pretty sure that was one of those series that simply got better with each entry, so you're probably looking at Solider Blade or maybe Star Parodia.

But even the first PC-Engine entry is pretty solid, so if you're just looking for one of them, any of them should be a good grab.

baphomet

Alright, after nearly 2 weeks and a ton of issues, my Supergrafx console is working perfectly in RGB. Not only that, but considering how cheap I picked it up for, it's in great condition. Original power adapter, all the little removable covers, as well as a copy of Mado Granzort. Super happy with finally getting it up and running like it should have been.

Here's a couple of shots of it running in RGB through my XRGB Mini.

And here's a video of the first stage in Aldynes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzO4aEndfcA

Bar81

Alright, after nearly 2 weeks and a ton of issues, my Supergrafx console is working perfectly in RGB. Not only that, but considering how cheap I picked it up for, it's in great condition. Original power adapter, all the little removable covers, as well as a copy of Mado Granzort. Super happy with finally getting it up and running like it should have been.

Here's a couple of shots of it running in RGB through my XRGB Mini.

And here's a video of the first stage in Aldynes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzO4aEndfcA

Congrats. What was the problem(s)?

syphic

Neo Member

Awesome score especially on a Jamiko PC-II PC-engine clone system. Those are pretty rare and hard to come by. I have a Jamiko PC engine Shuttle clone myself. Love this kind of stuff!

baphomet

Let me be clearer, what ended up being the thing that needed fixing?

Main problem at the top of the page was due to a corroded trade on the motherboard that had to be repaired. Other issue was I couldn't get a green signal for some reason. Worked correct on composite, but my amp and the amp I purchased from someone wasn't fixing the problem. Turned out the green leg on the 8 pin din I used was slightly too long and had rubbed mask of the board causing it to ground on the copper below. It was frustrating as fuck because I could trace the signal all the way to the green pin on my scart cable, but couldn't figure out where the issue was.

Evenball

Awesome score especially on a Jamiko PC-II PC-engine clone system. Those are pretty rare and hard to come by. I have a Jamiko PC engine Shuttle clone myself. Love this kind of stuff!

Yah I didn't notice it was a clone at first, but after taking it out of the package, I noted how it doesn't say PC Engine or NEC anywhere on it. After some searching I found out that it was a clone from Jamiko as you said.

Bar81

Main problem at the top of the page was due to a corroded trade on the motherboard that had to be repaired. Other issue was I couldn't get a green signal for some reason. Worked correct on composite, but my amp and the amp I purchased from someone wasn't fixing the problem. Turned out the green leg on the 8 pin din I used was slightly too long and had rubbed mask of the board causing it to ground on the copper below. It was frustrating as fuck because I could trace the signal all the way to the green pin on my scart cable, but couldn't figure out where the issue was.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Glad you got it working finally.

Top Bottom