• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

woodypop

The PC-FX is such an impractical machine. Aesthetically, it just resembles a tower pc--meh. But hey, if you've got everything else, why not?

baphomet

The PC-FX is such an impractical machine. Aesthetically, it just resembles a tower pc--meh. But hey, if you've got everything else, why not?

Its much smaller than a PC though. It does look quite large in pictures, but I believe its just slightly taller than a GameCube.

One of the coolest looking consoles ever? Absolutely.

Zeroigar looks fun, and I have pretty much every other console out there. Its down to this or a Neo Geo CD, and I already have a Neo Geo MVS. I'm content to purchase it, play it for an hour, and pack it up until I feel like playing it again.

Well, the NGCD has like one game not available elsewhere (Crossed Swords 2; Iron Clad has that Wii VC port of course, which is the Neo-Geo (cart) version). The PC-FX has more than that. If you can't speak and read Japanese the library is quite limited of course, since most games on the system in its small library are visual novels, RPGs, or strategy games, but there are a few action games -- Zeroigar (decent shmup), Zenki (expensive and short but fun sidescrolling action game), Chip Chan Kick (decent single-screen platform/action game), Ruruli ra Rura (sidescrolling action/RPG, has translation patch for English), Last Imperial Prince (another sidescrolling action/RPG), and... uh, that's about it, unless you actually like those horrible anime FMV fighting games (the system has two of those). All four of these games are exclusives, too.

For other stuff there are also a couple of sports, mahjong, and shanghai games, and I at least would want to try the strategy games at least (Der Langrisser FX, Farland Story FX, etc.; Der Langrisser/Langrisser II is multiplatform, but the PC-FX apparently has one of the best versions) and maybe some of the RPGs (if any are playable without knowing much Japanese; some look interesting, but how far could I get... much like all those Turbo CD RPGs only released in Japan!).

Of course, most of the rest of the library are visual novels or such, and I don't care about those, but even so I'd like to get a PC-FX, it's got more games worth having than there are on the SuperGrafx, and the system is probably cheaper too...

The PC FX was such a strange choice for NEC, it's like whoever designed it was trying to completely destroy the success of the PCE (am I wrong or didn't PCE outsell the MD?) and that it did. I guess I can *kind of *see the warped reasoning, "People liked Super CDs which has pseudo animation clips, let's make a system designed to run real animation clips!" Man, bad '90s video game execs and their insane FMV fixation.

Also, once I have some extra money I plan on buying one of doujindance's modded system (s-video unit since the RGB he uses is Pal based and also want one that is region free for Hucards), how are the quality of his units overall? My U.S. Duo died years ago (due to the bad capacitors in the American units I assume) and I have a big library of Hucards and CDs I want to play again.

baphomet

Rgb is just rgb. And his duos are definitely NTSC. The wiring itself of the cable is euro scart, but if you are able to use the Japanese wiring you can request he do that before shipping it.

Of course you have to have a way to use rgb to enjoy it.

Rgb is just rgb. And his duos are definitely NTSC. The wiring itself of the cable is euro scart, but if you are able to use the Japanese wiring you can request he do that before shipping it.

Of course you have to have a way to use rgb to enjoy it.

Thanks for the info. I have a Commodore 64 monitor which I use with my Supergun, would the RGB cable I use with that somehow work or would I need an adaptor for SCART? Or I'd have to have him custom make it?

baphomet

Thanks for the info. I have a Commodore 64 monitor which I use with my Supergun, would the RGB cable I use with that somehow work or would I need an adaptor for SCART? Or I'd have to have him custom make it?

Does your supergun run directly into the input on the monitor? Or do you have a scart to c64 adapter that the supergun plugs into? I know they make scart to commodore cables which is what you would need to use any regular rgb scart cable on it. Of course everything has its quirks so without knowing more about the exact monitor I can't say 100%.

Does your supergun run directly into the input on the monitor? Or do you have a scart to c64 adapter that the supergun plugs into? I know they make scart to commodore cables which is what you would need to use any regular rgb scart cable on it. Of course everything has its quirks so without knowing more about the exact monitor I can't say 100%.

I think it's basic RGB that runs directly from the Supergun to the monitor (been in storage for awhile so not 100% sure) so guessing I'd need an adaptor.

baphomet

I think it's basic RGB that runs directly from the Supergun to the monitor (been in storage for awhile so not 100% sure) so guessing I'd need an adaptor.

If you have the model number I can probably be a bit more help. I'm assuming its a 1084 something or other. If the supergun plugs directly into the monitor you would need an adapter which are easily found online.

Kinda on topic, but here's an rgb capture I just did earlier of my doujindance duo r.
RGB NEC Turbo Duo R Capture - Psychic Storm - XRG…: http://youtu.be/ZQe9lD9fJEI

Celine

Someone quick, talk me out of buying a PC-FX.
My opinion regarding PC-FX:

PC-FX is of interested only for '90s anime fan, PC Engine fanatics and for japanese PC games of the time which were ported/remade for the system.

The game library is small and overall not much impressive however there are a few good games especially if you understand japanese.

The most interesting games are:

Zenki: Probably the game that shows the system at its best. It's indeed a nice brawler.
Last Imperial Prince: Good sidescrolling action RPG made by NAC (same developer of Engacho for WonderSwan/PS1 another hidden gem)
Fire Woman Matoigumi: Mix between RPG and school life sim. Very good, recommended.
Power Dolls FX: Port/remake of a quite popular strategy game for japanese PC.
Farland Story FX: Another remake of the first FS.
Megami Paradise 2: sequel of MP for PCE. There are less RPG elements in this game. Very quirky.
Akazukin Cha Cha: Funny table top game based on a popular anime.
Blue Breaker: Interesting RPG which got ported to Saturn too.
Welcome to Pia Carrot: If you are into VN this one should be quite good from what I've heard (english patch translation available).
Battle Heat/Tengai Makyou: Dennou Karakuri Kakutouden: Very peculiar fighting games based on the same engine (the second one came later and it is more refined, also more expensive). If you can learn how these games work they can be fun.

Chip Chan Kick!: Sort of Bubble Bobble clone. Not that interesting IMO.
Team Innocent: it sucks but the anime opening by Kenji Kawai is great.
Super God Trooper Zeroigar: Another holy grail for PC-FX but contrary to Zenki this shmups is overrated. It's a mediocre vertical shooter with very good FMVs.

In italics are the games which I would really get if I could freely collect for PC-FX.

Well if its between those two, PC-FX i'd say. Would be nice to see a personal experience post about it too.
But only because he already owns a MVS.
NGCD trounce the PC-FX as far as games go (very different library but the average quality is much higher on NG)

The PC FX was such a strange choice for NEC, it's like whoever designed it was trying to completely destroy the success of the PCE (am I wrong or didn't PCE outsell the MD?) and that it did. I guess I can *kind of *see the warped reasoning, "People liked Super CDs which has pseudo animation clips, let's make a system designed to run real animation clips!" Man, bad '90s video game execs and their insane FMV fixation.

Also, once I have some extra money I plan on buying one of doujinance's modded system (s-video unit since the RGB he uses is Pal based and also want one that is region free for Hucards), how are the quality of his units overall? My U.S. Duo died years ago (due to the bad capacitors in the American units I assume) and I have a big library of Hucards and CDs I want to play again.
Oh yeah, very bad successor to the mighty PCE.
NEC reasoning was a mix of "uh girl games sell on PCE" and "a 2D system that play FMV is much more cheaper to design and produce compared to those 3D ready console by Sony, Sega and Nintendo!".

If you have the model number I can probably be a bit more help. I'm assuming its a 1084 something or other. If the supergun plugs directly into the monitor you would need an adapter which are easily found online.

Thanks, once I get it out if storage someday I'll check it out.

Mercutio

Oh yeah, very bad successor to the mighty PCE.
NEC reasoning was a mix of "uh girl games sell on PCE" and "a 2D system that play FMV is much more cheaper to design and produce compared to those 3D ready console by Sony, Sega and Nintendo!".

The FX was kind of a perfect storm of decisions that seemed good at the time, but were not well based in the current market or where it was going.

At this point in the PCE's lifespan, sales were good for girl games and the like but the system started to suffer from a real image problem: it was where you went to get dating sims and other associated nonsense. Hardcore gamers in Japan had jumped ship and had moved on to greener pastures. NEC wasn't working with Hudson to the same degree either; and Hudson had developed the brains of the PC Engine.

Hell, the system wasn't even current gen when it released... it was old tech that NEC had shelved literally YEARS earlier. The PCE was still hitting its stride, so why mess with a good thing? When they finally took a look back at (and put into production) the then shelved PC FX hardware, it still ran nice 2D and FMV, and everyone agreed at the time that this was all that mattered, even Sega of Japan in their initial version of the Saturn.

Well... to its credit... Its the only pc engine that looks like a pc.

X1 Twin yo

1388510064144.jpg

Finally the proud owner of a TurboGrafx 16. Found one at a cool little retro shop in downtown Chicago. $85 with all original cables, controller, Keith courage in case, and the extension port cover. Was surprised to see it wansnt $100+.

Is it just me or does this console have really good rf output?

Like I don't even mind it that much.

Also here's what I don't get either. I get HD Over the air with rabbit ears connected to a coaxial in. Nice, crisp, uncompressed HD depending on the channel. Why can't these older consoles output a nice signal to the coaxial input on a TV?

This doesn't make any sense, right?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is the Turbografx-16 region free? I live in Pal-land, but the machine never really got going here, so I think it would be better to get a ntsc system, but that means probably more costs on games and such.

Well, your broadcast TV signal is digital and these systems output analog video.

But even when you were using rabbit ears for television back then I feel like you were getting better, clearer signal than rf gives you on a console.

And the coaxial jack is the Exact same on an HDTV as a CRT as far as I can tell. Maybe I just don't know enough.

Teknoman

Looking at prices, its getting more and more convincing to try and muscle through the japanese versions of the Neutopia series. I know Mercutio said it was pretty easy to tackle the first game, but what about 2?

Mercutio

Looking at prices, its getting more and more convincing to try and muscle through the japanese versions of the Neutopia series. I know Mercutio said it was pretty easy to tackle the first game, but what about 2?

I too would love to know. I really enjoyed 1 in Japanese, and if 2 is at all similar I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Finally the proud owner of a TurboGrafx 16. Found one at a cool little retro shop in downtown Chicago. $85 with all original cables, controller, Keith courage in case, and the extension port cover. Was surprised to see it wansnt $100+.

Is it just me or does this console have really good rf output?

Like I don't even mind it that much.

Also here's what I don't get either. I get HD Over the air with rabbit ears connected to a coaxial in. Nice, crisp, uncompressed HD depending on the channel. Why can't these older consoles output a nice signal to the coaxial input on a TV?

This doesn't make any sense, right?

$85 is about right for a tg16 without any games. Keith Courage was a system pack in, so that's pretty much a freebie as is. I'm in Chicago and have a modded duo-R, so shoot me a note if you want to go hunting in the area.

Teknoman

Dragon Slayer question:

Do enemies have elemental weakness, or are spells just like Dragon Quest where more MP = more damage no matter the element?

Teknoman

Sorta cross post, but if you havent watched this in awhile or for some reason still dont have Lords of Thunder:

Best VHS promo ever -

Lords of Thunder promo

jFVjLSmErrHTH.png

No one at my elementary school had any idea what I was talking about, and I didnt get to play the game until I was in college lol. I still have no idea how I got on the mailing list for the video.

Mercutio

Sorta cross post, but if you havent watched this in awhile or for some reason still dont have Lords of Thunder:

Best VHS promo ever -

Lords of Thunder promo

jFVjLSmErrHTH.png

No one at my elementary school had any idea what I was talking about, and I didnt get to play the game until I was in college lol. I still have no idea how I got on the mailing list for the video.

There's some interview with the guy who was in charge of TTi... he talked about how proud he was that they "brought the 16 bit fight to the streets" or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Best VHS promo ever -

Lords of Thunder promo

Best part is when they're driving and they're trying to talk to the girl.

Yup game is fantastic. I'd go with the turbo version if at all possible, its the better of the two.

I have both, but I never gave the Turbo one a fair shake. Even so, it might be hard to go back to composite after enjoying the SCD one in RGB. Gotta get my PC Engine RGB modded.

I finally had to file a claim for an order I made in April of Ys IV and Dungeon Explorer II, a real shame as I wanted to play both of them pretty hard.

But they're easy to find and the refund went towards a rare Sega CD game I spotted for (maybe) a decent price, so I can try to get these again later.

Yup game is fantastic. I'd go with the turbo version if at all possible, its the better of the two.

The TG-16 version plays a bit better, but the Sega CD version is a touch easier, and personally I prefer the arrangements of the music in the Sega CD version.

For those that don't know, both games have the same music tracks, but they're arranged differently.

Both are still hard rock/metal in terms of style, but the TG-16 feels like a crunchy live recording, and the Sega CD version sounds more produced with Randy Rhodes style overdubbing (I <3 this soundtrack).

Top Bottom