• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

From a bad article written by gamepro.

Reliable japanese figures:
PC Engine: 5.84 million (of which 1.92 million are PC Engine CD-ROM2 or Duo models)

Mega Drive LTD provided by Sega to CESA (japanese gaming industry association) is 30.75 million.

ah, didn't know that! as for Mega Drive LTD, Sega-16 seems to put the # closer to 40 mil when incorporating Tec-Toy/etc conversions in other countries, nomad etc sales too. all revisions put together, some of them think it's quite a bit higher.

Ban Puncher

What is the technical or proper name for those Apple cables you can use as PCE controller extensions? I want to try and find a couple on eBay.

D.Lo

So my replacement RGB Duo is on the way. Last one had mobo problems. Now I'll have an RX instead of an original Duo which I'm conflicted about, The RX is a better piece of hardware, but I love the original Duo's utilitarian design. Classic early 90s.

ah, didn't know that! as for Mega Drive LTD, Sega-16 seems to put the # closer to 40 mil when incorporating Tec-Toy/etc conversions in other countries, nomad etc sales too. all revisions put together, some of them think it's quite a bit higher.
Yeah there's always arguments about MD final total.

The problem with counting Tectoy etc is you should then also count the recent 'system in a controller' stuff, which are equally genuine licenced Sega products with the same or parts of the same chipset. And I'd dare say some famiclones should be counted as 'legit' system sales before 'Sonic in a controller' sales from 2009 or whatever (though counting famiclones might put the NES final tally at like 200+ million consoles sold or something crazy).

Also reminds me of the final original Xbox 'sold' figue - the last couple of million were dumped in stores are sold for nothing, I got one for $30 (in Australia). It didn't beat the Gamecube in genuine profitable in-lifetime sales, they just made a couple of million too many which were left over when they dumped the system in the garbage to launch the 360.

smbu2000

Well I don't have a SuperGrafx, but I saw these at one of the stores I usually check out so I picked them up. For 100 yen each is pretty good I think. They don't usually have too many PC Engine games there.

P1030645_a_zpsc96e2b61.jpg

TheWraith

Recently got a copy of Bonk 2 (PC Genjin 2), but the game has the weirdest issue: enemies and flowers are misplaced on the screen and some other sprites like coconuts are moving along the screen. Bonk is also untouchable or can't touch enemies and can just run through the levels.

Anyone heard of this? Was this is a bug on a limited production run, or did I just get a weirdly malfunctioning cart somehow? My PCE Duo seems to be running fine on all other games btw.

2014-08-01150205_zpsabdbfe90.jpg

Ban Puncher

8-pin mini-DIN

Apple serial cables.

Thanks guys. Eventually found one for a decent price of $8 including free delivery from South Korea and not $5 for the cable and $30+ for shipping like all the other listings.

Recently got a copy of Bonk 2 (PC Genjin 2), but the game has the weirdest issue: enemies and flowers are misplaced on the screen and some other sprites like coconuts are moving along the screen. Bonk is also untouchable or can't touch enemies and can just run through the levels.

Anyone heard of this? Was this is a bug on a limited production run, or did I just get a weirdly malfunctioning cart somehow? My PCE Duo seems to be running fine on all other games btw.

2014-08-01150205_zpsabdbfe90.jpg

Tried cleaning the pins on the HuCard?

Well I don't have a SuperGrafx, but I saw these at one of the stores I usually check out so I picked them up. For 100 yen each is pretty good I think. They don't usually have too many PC Engine games there.

Oh shweet. Makes me miss the Japan life. Coming across a handful of great games for peanuts. Good times.

I didn't know Ghouls 'n Ghosts was on PC engine.. (I barely know a thing about the PC engine library though). That would have made my week.

Yep, although cart looks just like new. Don't think that is the problem...

I've had similar problems with the same game. The card looks fine but it doesn't work right. Mine got some corrupted graphics and after you get to level 3 you can't progress further. I just bought another copy.

Mzo

:O

Oh my. Well I didn't realize that.
Looks like I need to expand my horizons further.

Anyone care to give me a rundown on Supergrafix?

It's the successor to the PC Engine. They made like 6 games for it (2 of which can also play on the PCE), but it can play all PC Engine games and hook up to the old PCE CD.

Wow. Only 6 games. Crazy. Was it a major bomb?

Are the controllers interchangeable? I think I have a couple Super Grafix gamepads thinking they were all just PC engine gear.

Mercutio

Are the controllers interchangeable? I think I have a couple Super Grafix gamepads thinking they were all just PC engine gear.

Yep, same exact port. If you wanted to have the "ultimate" NEC system, you'd combine one of these guys with a Super CD system. My understanding is that it would be a good deal more expensive than getting a good Duo R though. If you watch doujindance's eBay, RGB modded Super Grafx systems come up once a month or so. There are tons of them unmodded floating around though, around $200. Boxed ones are more of course.

Here's a great breakdown of the version differences in what you just bought, by the way:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33981

Teknoman

Yep, same exact port. If you wanted to have the "ultimate" NEC system, you'd combine one of these guys with a Super CD system. My understanding is that it would be a good deal more expensive than getting a good Duo R though. If you watch doujindance's eBay, RGB modded Super Grafx systems come up once a month or so. There are tons of them unmodded floating around though, around $200. Boxed ones are more of course.

Here's a great breakdown of the version differences in what you just bought, by the way:

Sucks that the Duos werent jacks of all trades. Cant see myself snagging a Super Graphx for just a few games, unless I found it for cheap.

Mercutio

Sucks that the Duos werent jacks of all trades. Cant see myself snagging a Super Graphx for just a few games, unless I found it for cheap.

Yeah, it's a bummer... but there just isn't anything truly worthwhile on the Super Grafx. Only true NEC completionists or those who have a thing for console oddities will really bother.

smbu2000

Yeah, it's a bummer... but there just isn't anything truly worthwhile on the Super Grafx. Only true NEC completionists or those who have a thing for console oddities will really bother.
Yeah, definitely. I only picked up the SuperGrafx games because I found them for dirt cheap ($1 each) otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
The game that drew my eye was Daimakaimura and I can already play that on my Megadrive without having to buy additional hardware.

They do make a nice addition to my collection though even if I never play them. If I happen to find a Supergrafx machine for cheap though I'll probably pick it up though.

Mercutio

Yeah, definitely. I only picked up the SuperGrafx games because I found them for dirt cheap ($1 each) otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
The game that drew my eye was Daimakaimura and I can already play that on my Megadrive without having to buy additional hardware.

They do make a nice addition to my collection though even if I never play them. If I happen to find a Supergrafx machine for cheap though I'll probably pick it up though.

I think most people like the MegaDrive version better, too. "Better music" is always what they say.

Looks like DoujinDance actually just put up a Super Grafx:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191275664100&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I did not realize that it was less powerful than the Genesis. I assume that it was at least a step up.

antibolo

Banned
I did not realize that it was less powerful than the Genesis. I assume that it was at least a step up.

Hardware and capabilities-wise the PC Engine is closer to the Famicom/NES than the rest of the 16 bit era consoles.

Basically you take a NES, you add a lot more colors, bigger and more simultaneous sprites, two more audio channels, and that's it.

The biggest disadvantage it has over later consoles is that just like the NES, the PPU only has a single layer to work with. The SuperGrafx added a second layer but it was too late.

andymcc

Banned
The best contemporaneous home version was definitely the X68000 release.

does it allow you to change directions while crouched in the x68000, or is it more close to the arcade version in that respect?

i think that is a huge advantage to the genesis version, even if inferior in graphics and sound.

Celine

Hardware and capabilities-wise the PC Engine is closer to the Famicom/NES than the rest of the 16 bit era consoles.

Basically you take a NES, you add a lot more colors, bigger and more simultaneous sprites, two more audio channels, and that's it.

The biggest disadvantage it has over later consoles is that just like the NES, the PPU only has a single layer to work with. The SuperGrafx added a second layer but it was too late.
PCE was in the mid between NES and SNES, just like DC was a console "in between two generations".
I mean there is a clear gulf between something like Street Fighter 2 Dash on PCE and what you can find on NES.
What gave the competitive edge for PCE afterward was the CD addon though (the boost in ram and in game size which came with it).

antibolo

Banned
PCE was in the mid between NES and SNES, just like DC was a console "in between two generations".
I mean there is a clear gulf between something like Street Fighter 2 Dash on PCE and what you can find on NES.
What gave the competitive edge for PCE afterward was the CD addon though (the boost in ram and in game size which came with it).

But the PC Engine is closer to the NES than the SNES. It has no digital sound (without CD-ROM addon, which adds only one channel), no multiple layers, no alpha blending, no Mode 7 equivalent, etc. The CPU is also similar to the NES (6502 with 8 bit registers and 16 bit addressing), just higher clocked. It has much superior sprite capabilities but the basic philosophies are the same.

According to Wikipedia, Hudson designed the PC Engine hardware with the intent to selling it to Nintendo as the successor to the Famicom (the plan failed, so they partnered up with NEC instead). With that in mind, it makes sense that they made it similar.

Celine

But the PC Engine is closer to the NES than the SNES. It has no digital sound (without CD-ROM addon, which adds only one channel), no multiple layers, no alpha blending, no Mode 7 equivalent, etc. The CPU is also similar to the NES (6502 with 8 bit registers and 16 bit addressing), just higher clocked. It has much superior sprite capabilities but the basic philosophies are the same.

According to Wikipedia, Hudson designed the PC Engine hardware with the intent to selling it to Nintendo as the successor to the Famicom (the plan failed, so they partnered up with NEC instead). With that in mind, it makes sense that they made it similar.
Guess which other system "has no digital sound (without CD-ROM addon, which adds only one channel), no alpha blending, no Mode 7 equivalent" :)

SF2 dash is really a testament of something a NES or Master System cannot pull off with the same (acceptable) degree of fidelity (not saying the SNES/MD/PCE ports were perfect but at least they were close to the source material).

andymcc

Banned
Guess which other system "has no digital sound (without CD-ROM addon, which adds only one channel), no alpha blending, no Mode 7 equivalent" :)

SF2 dash is really a testament of something a NES or Master System cannot pull off with the same (acceptable) degree of fidelity (not saying the SNES/MD/PCE ports were perfect but at least they were close to the source material).

Wasn't World Warrior and the PC-E Dash released almost simultaneously? i remember an old EGM going on about how much better it was than the SNES world warrior.

Wasn't World Warrior and the PC-E Dash released almost simultaneously? i remember an old EGM going on about how much better it was than the SNES world warrior.

they were released about a year apart (Summer '92 and Summer '93)

egm prolly mad at nintendo for not giving out review copies or some shit

andymcc

Banned
they were released about a year apart (Summer '92 and Summer '93)

egm prolly mad at nintendo for not giving out review copies or some shit

ah, gotcha.

EGM wasn't the bastion of integrity. lol

i remember being mad jelly at the turbo getting that in Japan only though.

AmyS

Not counting the two PCE Darius games that barely used the extra hardware (mainly no flickering sprites or slowdown when played on a SuperGrafx) there were only 5 truly dedicated games released which would only work on that console.

Launched with one game in late 1989:
- Battle Ace

Two more games in 1990:
- Granzort (a follow-up to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones)
- Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N Ghosts)

And two more in 1991:
- Aldynes
- 1941: Counter Attack

By 1992 the console was dead, no more software, was well on its way to becoming a collectors item. Supposedly just 50,000 consoles were manufactured.

And we thought the Sega 32X bombed.

baphomet

Yea but the ratio of good games to shit ones is forever in the supergrafx favor. Only battle ace is bad, the rest are anywhere from good to excellent.

Top Bottom