• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

LOL! oh dear I tried to make a design of Ripple from Magical Chase for my pumpkin
P1020384.jpg

but I don't have the patience or skill, Happy Halloween guys !
P1020386.jpg

Teknoman

Better than what I could do, but I honestly was hoping for some sort of Terror Mask from someone :p

Is Bomberman 94 really that much better than 93?

Dicer

Banned
Better than what I could do, but I honestly was hoping for some sort of Terror Mask from someone :p

Is Bomberman 94 really that much better than 93?

Just feels more complete, the single player is a blast and the multi is very engrossing as well.

piggychan

Is Mega Bomberman the same as Bomberman '94? Any reason to get one if you have the other?

Yes I think it is. The megadrive is a port of the pc engine's Bomberman 94' and it's the first and last pc engine bomberman on an 8megabit card. There are most likely color, screen resolution and sound differences between the two. whichever one to get I guess will depend on what platform you prefer..

The graphics and presentation are top notch however I did find the music on 93' superior.

Teknoman

Just feels more complete, the single player is a blast and the multi is very engrossing as well.

Yes I think it is. The megadrive is a port of the pc engine's Bomberman 94' and it's the first and last pc engine bomberman on an 8megabit card. There are most likely color, screen resolution and sound differences between the two. whichever one to get I guess will depend on what platform you prefer..

The graphics and presentation are top notch however I did find the music on 93' superior.

Well that makes my decision.

'93 saves your progress to the system, if you have a CD drive or save addon, while '94 does not, for some stupid reason. Sure, the passwords are very simple 4-digit numbers, but still! That's one reason I got '93 and not '94. Japanese version though, the US version is a bit expensive...

Hm, I think I did ok. I just won an auction for 8 hucard only games for $42. Jackie Chan was one of them, as well as PC Genjin 2, Wataru, Son Son II, Bravoman, Dragon Egg and a couple others.

piggychan

So PC Engine multitap + one more PC engine controller...best place is just to keep checking ebay or pcenginefx.com?

i guess so or you can also try japan game stock website. I haven't used them in a while but I have ordered a lot in the past. They may have gotten pricier these day..

http://japangamestock.com/

Also do not use yokai douchuuki with a multi tap otherwise you will just get a blank screen.

D.Lo

Why? I don't understand?

Doesn't affect me, 90% of my GAF hits are just checking my subscribed threads. But farewell to any new people joining :(

Jamix012

Did the other retro threads also move to community? I think we'll be ok anyway, I'd say most of the posters here are ones that are subscribed so we should be good.

Jamix012

The Gen/MD thread was in community for a while but got put back on Gaming after some protests, lol

Wow really? Again though I don't think this will really effect any retro threads though. It'll never happen but if there was a "retro/collecting" subsection of the forum, I think that would be the ideal way to keep these threads getting attention while also stopping them from "cluttering" the front page every now and again.

Teknoman

Well it stopped LTTP for certain retro games from popping up for awhile, and helped people learn about new things they've never known about. Being in community, it'll probably only be discovered through word of mouth.

I guess they're hidden gem threads now lol.

Jamix012

My understanding is that the Genesis version is superior... So don't worry about that one!

The Genesis one is easier from what I've seen, but the Supergrafx version is more faithful to the arcade. In the end the best version is on one of the Capcom compilations floating around.

D.Lo

I bought Götzendiener. It's too intriguing and cheap. Can't wait.

My understanding is that the Genesis version is superior... So don't worry about that one!
It most definitely isn't IMO. SGX one looks so much better.

Capcom Ages one on Saturn is the best console port however. Avoid the PS2 Capcom classics, 480i blurry ass digital ellipse turds.

Capcom Ages one on Saturn is the best console port however.
Capcom Generation 2 on Playstation is a preferable package since Chomakaimura's aspect ratio is fucked up on the Saturn version. Be aware that both PS1 and Saturn versions run a lot better than the original though, and it's harder without the slowdown.

D.Lo

Capcom Generation 2 on Playstation is a preferable package since Chomakaimura's aspect ratio is fucked up on the Saturn version. Be aware that both PS1 and Saturn versions run a lot better than the original though, and it's harder without the slowdown.
True, but if you wanna play super ghouls and ghosts, there's a better system for that ;)

Back in the day (15 years ago :/) I chose the Saturn version because the Saturn has a non-awful dpad. Of course I have a Saturn playstation controller these days so it's moot.

Mercutio

I bought Götzendiener. It's too intriguing and cheap. Can't wait.

It most definitely isn't IMO. SGX one looks so much better.

Capcom Ages one on Saturn is the best console port however. Avoid the PS2 Capcom classics, 480i blurry ass digital ellipse turds.

I just got a copy of Götzendiener myself. It's... I have regrets. It doesn't play nearly as well as it looks.

True, but if you wanna play super ghouls and ghosts, there's a better system for that ;)

Back in the day (15 years ago :/) I chose the Saturn version because the Saturn has a non-awful dpad. Of course I have a Saturn playstation controller these days so it's moot.
When it comes to controller, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. The Ultra Street Fighter IV Evo 2014 champion used a 20 year old PS1 controller, and I'm sure he doesn't think it's shit.

D.Lo

The intro is by far the best part of the game. The gameplay feels super unfinished. I was warned about it though, so I have nobody but myself to blame.
Yes there was a 'warning' earlier in the thread. I'm intrigued enough based on videos to have justified my $14 delivered price tag however ;)

StevieWhite

Seconded. I know licensed sports games have to bring in big money, but it's amazing to me that "fake sports" have almost vanished entirely from modern gaming. I was thinking of trying "Hit the Ice" next.

Ban Puncher

A copy of Devil Crash in fantastic condition I ordered from Japan a few weeks ago finally arrived today. Paid well below the usual eBay scumbag price so am well chuffed.

I still can't decide which version I prefer, the original on PCE or the MD port by TechnoSoft.

A copy of Devil Crash in fantastic condition I ordered from Japan a few weeks ago finally arrived today. Paid well below the usual eBay scumbag price so am well chuffed.

I still can't decide which version I prefer, the original on PCE or the MD port by TechnoSoft.

Tecnosoft version got the better tunes but I can't shake the feeling that the aspect ratio of the play area is all wrong.

Top Bottom