• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

problem is in here in rainy UK I can't find anyone around who can do a decent job of modding my console so I had to buy one of these from ebay. It's not cheap either cost about £70+ including shipping to UK from France.

a173e47a6db4adaf4a30244bac73ed25.jpg

plugs into the back of any pc engine except the shuttle and handhelds.

1e728f2fdbd076f7bae2ff4e75916f61.jpg

yes I know the picture quality isn't great but I am using my ipad mini to take the pics.. too lazy to get out the digital camera at this time of the morning.... :(

cc8a8aafda48406fcb652d9564666271.jpg

3776320d93cf90d15ae805320fd2ee1d.jpg

5b131e3b18aafc46c11dfb3bbcd8dfed.jpg

04ae2d039efa9c7426d4d0e3b38f2953.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just talking about my dislike for rpgs. Only RPG I ever completed was Tale of the Monsterpath.

Zelda and Mana don't count.

Or Destiny.

piggychan

I wouldn't consider tales of the monster path an rpg, but it was one of the early games that made me fall in love with the pc engine especially the graphics and the music. Really hard game too..

AKA shadow lands or yokai douchuuki

youkai-douchuuki-occasion-bon-etat-fr.jpg

Mercutio

I wouldn't consider tales of the monster path an rpg, but it was one of the early games that made me fall in love with the pc engine especially the graphics and the music. Really hard game too..

AKA shadow lands or yokai douchuuki

youkai-douchuuki-occasion-bon-etat-fr.jpg

I got a copy of this a while ago and it didn't run on my Duo. I got another copy, same thing. Anyone else have this problem?

piggychan

I got a copy of this a while ago and it didn't run on my Duo. I got another copy, same thing. Anyone else have this problem?

either the connectors on the HUcard need cleaning or... (and this was discussed on another forum) it seems like this game only works properly without any multi-player taps connected to the joypad port.

Khaz

there is a cheaper one going on ebay but I've no idea on the picture quality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-RGB...Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item27ede1fac2

this one will only work if your pc engine/core grafx/supergrafx has an din8 connector
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-RGB..._Vidéo_Autres_Accessoires&hash=item5ae5904b7a

I didn't know about the ext connector of the PC Engine, but it seems an adapter is fairly simple to make: http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php you just need to connect the correct pins to your scart. You don't really need a big box.

Prices are really expensive though for such low quality cables (both obviously lack internal shielding), I wonder how difficult is it to source the correct connector for the PC Engine.

D.Lo

I didn't know about the ext connector of the PC Engine, but it seems an adapter is fairly simple to make: http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php you just need to connect the correct pins to your scart. You don't really need a big box.

Prices are really expensive though for such low quality cables (both obviously lack internal shielding), I wonder how difficult is it to source the correct connector for the PC Engine.
Yes people have made their own ones, but a proper connector would be great.

I always wanted a white PCE, beautiful little device, and having one with a single cable delivering RGB would be so cool.

Mercutio

either the connectors on the HUcard need cleaning or... (and this was discussed on another forum) it seems like this game only works properly without any multi-player taps connected to the joypad port.

Son of a... That was it! I unplugged the multi tap and instantly the game came on. So weird! I have other Namco games from the same era and they seem fine with it.

I have a lot of experience with RGB modding various PC Engine models. Unfortunately if you are really anal about IQ then it is very hard to be completely satisfied with the old Engine. From what I gather it is impossible to get a perfect picture out of most models as the image it will net you, while infinitely better than composite, will suffer from banding artefacts.

So far it seems the only way to avoid them is by modding an original white PC Engine with a 3 channel IC RGB booster. You have to be be borderline OCD to even see the artefact, let alone let it bother you,

Currently on eBay there are two auctions for complete copies of the U.S. version of Magical Chase. One is Buy it Now at $7,200 the other $12,999.99 Are you kidding me? Obviously the U.S. version had a limited print run but was it really enough to be legitimately valued at between $7-12K? Who on earth do these two dealers expect is really ever going to buy one of these? The Tony Stark version of a TG-16 fan? Has the game ever actually completed an auction at one of those price levels?

D.Lo

Currently on eBay there are two auctions for complete copies of the U.S. version of Magical Chase. One is Buy it Now at $7,200 the other $12,999.99 Are you kidding me? Obviously the U.S. version had a limited print run but was it really enough to be legitimately valued at between $7-12K? Who on earth do these two dealers expect is really ever going to buy one of these? The Tony Stark version of a TG-16 fan? Has the game ever actually completed an auction at one of those price levels?
Yeah that's ebay for you, full of idiots and wishful thinkers.

All these sealed copies of NES games for $2000+ they just sit there and never sell and clog up searches.

It's ebay's fault for having free listings. Ebay was best when there were listing fees and lower final value fees, but that didn't work for their plans to become Amazon so they ruined it.

Yeah that's ebay for you, full of idiots and wishful thinkers.

All these sealed copies of NES games for $2000+ they just sit there and never sell and clog up searches.

It's ebay's fault for having free listings. Ebay was best when there were listing fees and lower final value fees, but that didn't work for their plans to become Amazon so they ruined it.

Yeah, they should definitely bring back paid listings in some kind of limited form for idiot dealers like these.

Man, and people say the Genesis add-ons can get convulted. With all the different CD units, RAM cards, memory banks, AV boosters, and the SuperGrafx, the PC Engine has to be the craziest.

Yeah, the TG16/PCE is in a class of its own in terms of addons, remodels, etc. for a console, I think. It's ridiculous how many things there are for the system... it's annoying from a price standpoint, but it does make things interesting! :)

I'd love to have that setup sometime... it's ridiculous, but that's part of the charm! :)

Some people on PCEFX have talked about making a Supergrafx Arcade CD game someday, for fun because there are, of course, no CD titles which use the Supergrafx. That'd be cool to see, even if very few people could actually play it. :)

Mercutio

The one in PixyJunket's pickup picture is the PC Engine game, which got me confused.

US box art is ugly too. That alone should make the game cheaper. :)

Oh yeah, you're right! I didn't notice that it was the PC Engine one in his original picture either.

Hahahah, ugly box art. If that was the case, I feel like 90% of "collectible" USA software would be dirt cheap.

16616_front.jpg

box-snes-jp-1.jpg

lol, what were they thinking with that?

John: "What do you think of this Japanese box art, Mark?"

Mark: "Looks terrible, let's make something Americans will love!"

John: "Alright! Brain storm! What comes to mind when you think about the game."

Mark: "We need a stick! Horns! I'm thinking a wind mill too. Oh, and there's a girl, but she's not really that important, let's put her in the background"

John: (quickly sticks together some layers in PS) "How about this?"

Mark: "Perfect!"

Apologies ahead of time as this is probably a really common question, but I've had no real luck finding a solution. Basically I'm looking for a way to connect my PC Engine to my TV, but all I have is an RF cable, with no TVs capable of accepting that input.

The AV Booster looks like it'd do the trick, but it's pretty pricey. The main reason I'm holding off is that I used to have a PC Engine as a kid and I'm absolutely positive that I had it running on my TV through the aerial and not touching RF. Is this possible, and do I need anything crazy to get that running?

Again, apologies if this is a real silly question, I'm pretty clueless on it unfortunately!

Plus I've got this copy of Dragon Spirit that is in desperate need of playing.

The original white PC Engine only offers RF out, which wont work with none Japanese TV's even if the have RF inputs.

All subsequent models of PC Engine came with an AV ports with composite out, you just need the right cable. I believe a Mega Drive/Genesis composite cable might work in addition to the proper cable for the later PC Engine models, but do not quote me on that.

The original white PC Engine only offers RF out, which wont work with none Japanese TV's even if the have RF inputs.

All subsequent models of PC Engine came with an AV ports with composite out, you just need the right cable. I believe a Mega Drive/Genesis composite cable might work in addition to the proper cable for the later PC Engine models, but do not quote me on that.

I want to say it was a composite cable I used back in the day. The weird thing is that the PC Engine we had was definitely the white model...unless they did a white model with AV? I always assumed it was the grey model only they is meant to have that.

Kinda wish I could remember the setup! I do seem to remember one of those old Sega switch boxes being involved, but I might be misremembering.

Mercutio

Isn't the english version also broken and damn near impossible to complete because the people doing the localization were messing around with the game balance and ended with fucking it up?

I know that this happened with Exile II: Wicked Phenomenon. There's discussion of it in this thread, and the guy who ran Working Designs has talked about it.

Funny thing though, best cover art of all time.

exile3.jpg

I want to say it was a composite cable I used back in the day. The weird thing is that the PC Engine we had was definitely the white model...unless they did a white model with AV? I always assumed it was the grey model only they is meant to have that.

Kinda wish I could remember the setup! I do seem to remember one of those old Sega switch boxes being involved, but I might be misremembering.

No white model had AV out. In any regard, if you plan on using a PC Engine on a modern display I would recommend you take the money for an AV box and instead put it towards an S-Video mod.

There are modders who can do the job for relatively cheap and your PC Engine games will look a few notches above absolute dog shit on your LCD.

I know that this happened with Exile II: Wicked Phenomenon. There's discussion of it in this thread, and the guy who ran Working Designs has talked about it.

Funny thing though, best cover art of all time.

That is the game I was thinking of actually, I remember Working Designs being the culprits.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm just shocked nobody has just gone and hacked the US Wicked Phenomenon back to its original balance level. I'd love to play it but all the reports of the difficulty turn me off.

piggychan

hmmmm my white pce...

I rarely use it now because it makes some pops and crackles in the game sounds.. I think some of the chips inside are about to go....
999a1aa9a0180b1158ba63f1f43df8a4.jpg

It is such a shame the original bubble bobble never came out on the pc engine...
22515b575b8e0bcd31b5b73d08e223a1.jpg

7ee114260086ccb514258b51a69e9035.jpg

da9ac4f1815ee773d47aecf3e0d6a83b.jpg

hmmmm my white pce...

I rarely use it now because it makes some pops and crackles in the game sounds.. I think some of the chips inside are about to go....

More likely it is the caps that need changing. Easy operation, and cheap if you find the right modder. I'd say get it done sooner rather than later because if those caps are leaking the fluids are eating away traces and damaging chips.

piggychan

More likely it is the caps that need changing. Easy operation, and cheap if you find the right modder. I'd say get it done sooner rather than later because if those caps are leaking the fluids are eating away traces and damaging chips.

ah man I just saw your status :(

I wish I can find someone here in the UK to do that..

Looks fantastic!!!

Parasol stars is a very good cutesy arcade platformer and it has great playability and music too. The two player is hectic and also great fun.
If you are collecting pc engine stuff grab most of the library from Taito too.. although the odd one might be very expensive *cough... Tatsujin* there are a few titles which I thought were a bit sub par ie New Zealand story and perhaps Don Doko Don, Special Criminal Investigations.

Parasol Stars is amazing, I used to know the game inside and out (and there are a LOT of deep, dark secrets to it).

I wanted to swap my TG16 copy for a PC-Engine copy, but it seems the Japanese release is higher priced out there, bummer.

I got my Fighting Commander controller, and when I tried to turn on turbo for Button I, it'd repeatedly paused the game. I had the switch set to two buttons, and then any kind of turbo setting caused rapid pausing. Did I do something wrong?

Top Bottom