• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Teknoman

Was all happy to test my TG16 controller. Turns out the seller sent the wrong adapter. Got a pc engine to tg16 adapter instead. They seem to sell both, so honest mistake I guess. Still should've double checked before shipping.

Edit: Anyone know of a custom cover for the 3 in one? I'm sure the manuals are pretty expensive?

Apenheul

Last year I bought a PC Engine DUO-R in Osaka and by now I have a decent collection of games (about 25), mostly multiplayer games and shmups. Today I spent almost the entire day playing Ys Book I which is a lot of fun but with my limited Japanese vocabulary it can be hard to know where to go at times. I made it into this tower which at first boggled my mind; I didn't quite understand why some doors just lead back to the room you just came from until it dawned to me that the tower was round and I was basically walking in circles on every floor. Talk about wasting time.. still, what a fun game, even if I don't understand everything the gameplay holds up today. And the music..

I'll be in Osaka again soon and I'm considering buying the other Ys games too, if I can find them of course. Another thing on my mind is a Framemeister; my PC Engine is unmodded as are all of my other consoles and instead of modding each and every one of them it seems to me like a Framemeister is a smarter investment, even though a modded console would probably produce better visuals.

Mercutio

Last year I bought a PC Engine DUO-R in Osaka and by now I have a decent collection of games (about 25), mostly multiplayer games and shmups. Today I spent almost the entire day playing Ys Book I which is a lot of fun but with my limited Japanese vocabulary it can be hard to know where to go at times. I made it into this tower which at first boggled my mind; I didn't quite understand why some doors just lead back to the room you just came from until it dawned to me that the tower was round and I was basically walking in circles on every floor. Talk about wasting time.. still, what a fun game, even if I don't understand everything the gameplay holds up today. And the music..

I'll be in Osaka again soon and I'm considering buying the other Ys games too, if I can find them of course. Another thing on my mind is a Framemeister; my PC Engine is unmodded as are all of my other consoles and instead of modding each and every one of them it seems to me like a Framemeister is a smarter investment, even though a modded console would probably produce better visuals.

I used my Duo R for a while with just composite in conjunction with my XRGB Mini. Having it RGB modded by Baphomet though, was a revelation. By far my favorite console of that era.

piggychan

Check out the other games by Falcom for the little wonder console

Mzo

Just ran through Legendary Axe twice in a row. It's such a great game! Playing it again for a podcast about Aicom. I really think in this game they made something that is way better than it has any right to be. Great music, great controls, and it looks fantastic. Really deliberate level design that feels challenging but fair. Plus monkeys that hump your face until you die.

I don't know of too many things that are quite as satisfying as landing a fully powered axe hit on an enemy in this game. It's just too good.

Apenheul

I used my Duo R for a while with just composite in conjunction with my XRGB Mini. Having it RGB modded by Baphomet though, was a revelation. By far my favorite console of that era.
Thanks I'll look into it. I do expect an RGB mod looking much better, it's just that then I'd want to mod all my other consoles too :)

piggychan said:
Check out the other games by Falcom for the little wonder console
Will do!

D.Lo

Just ran through Legendary Axe twice in a row. It's such a great game! Playing it again for a podcast about Aicom. I really think in this game they made something that is way better than it has any right to be. Great music, great controls, and it looks fantastic. Really deliberate level design that feels challenging but fair. Plus monkeys that hump your face until you die.

I don't know of too many things that are quite as satisfying as landing a fully powered axe hit on an enemy in this game. It's just too good.
It's the best insane clunkily animated action platformer ever.

Apenheul

Alright, I finished Ys Book I. I think I've spend as much time inside the tower as outside. I really enjoyed playing the game though and I'll continue with Ys Book II soon.

Celine

One of the best PCE game. Period.

Just got these 4 games.

Really am liking Legend of Xanadu II. It's on par with the SNES JRPGs. Going to have to hunt the first one down.

Gotzendiener I'm also liking the premise but controls are an annoyance and almost makes using the pce controller unbearable at times. Unfortunately I am not having much time to play or write up stuff for now.
P1030016.jpg
Gotzendiener is wasted potential.
Still an isometric game on PCE is a rare sight.

LoX2 is awesome.

Mercutio

One of the best PCE game. Period.

Gotzendiener is wasted potential.
Still an isometric game on PCE is a rare sight.

LoX2 is awesome.

Every time I see it on my shelf (easy cause of the specially colored spine) I'm all like:

"Hey! Why don't I play Gotzendiener more!?"

*10 minutes of Gotzendiener later*

"Oh, right."

And that's happened like, a dozen times.

*lol* A friend of mine on Facebook is acutally gunning for that thing right now. He has crazy deep pockets and I have a feeling he might just get it. He's insane.

Apenheul

Neutopia is a pretty fun game but man, those hitboxes are aweful. It's as if my sword needs to hit an actual pixel of the enemies while they can sort of touch the tile I'm standing on. I can understand some of the Japanese but I still need a walkthrough to find certain tiems.

Dicer

Banned
wow not sure what to do now. I was planning on getting the original dracula X japanese release within the next few months and now this pops up...

What will happen with value of the japanese one? and again what happens when people try to pass the copy as an original...?

They are also asking for a lot of money for that stuff.

This is what gets me... it's not like the repro process costs an arm and a leg, sure it's nice work, but it's not costing him NEARLY what he's asking.

I was all for these initially, as long as they don't interfere with looking like an original, but now it's just robbery, and someone's gotta be buying them because he keeps on going.

Khaz

This is what gets me... it's not like the repro process costs an arm and a leg, sure it's nice work, but it's not costing him NEARLY what he's asking.

What does it cost him? I see a custom cardboard with a full colour manual with new content. I can see there is a lot of work in these reproductions. Sure I'd prefer to get Dracula X without the can or the other game for a lower price, but as a bundle it doesn't seem excessive.

Unless you are arguing he shouldn't make any profit from it?

I do find the Survival kit silly, but I find all legit limited editions silly too so it doesn't matter to me, I'm just not a client for such boxes.

piggychan

What does it cost him? I see a custom cardboard with a full colour manual with new content. I can see there is a lot of work in these reproductions. Sure I'd prefer to get Dracula X without the can or the other game for a lower price, but as a bundle it doesn't seem excessive.

Unless you are arguing he shouldn't make any profit from it?

I do find the Survival kit silly, but I find all legit limited editions silly too so it doesn't matter to me, I'm just not a client for such boxes.

yes but in the past that Tobias guy has ripped of other peoples translated work and passed it off as his own and made a profit from it.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18596.0

Rydeen

Yeah it seems way more dodgy to sell a game like Dracula X that's still available via virtual console or the PSP port than something like Kaze Kiri or Renny Blaster that saw one print run and was never available again in any form.

yes but in the past that Tobias guy has ripped of other peoples translated work and passed it off as his own and made a profit from it.

And don't forget to mention that he's also the guy behind the infamous near-perfect pirate copy of Sapphire.

Yeah it seems way more dodgy to sell a game like Dracula X that's still available via virtual console or the PSP port than something like Kaze Kiri or Renny Blaster that saw one print run and was never available again in any form.
Definitely. I do agree that it's not quite as bad for something that's currently out of print... but selling an (expensive!) copy of a game still being sold on other formats? That's just piracy...

D.Lo

Like all the other repro places do constantly? Using other people's fan translaions (and of course other people's whole games) on expensive cart packages is pretty much standard practice for profiteering bottom feeders (like Rose coloured gaming etc).

(Not that I'm saying you're condoning them either, just pointing out it's widespread).

I'm against the lot of them myself. But when anyone can easily burn up a copy of Dracula X for $1, he's not really selling the game, he's selling a bunch of fancy printed paper and plastic.

Mercutio

His packaging has gone from sensible to outright nonsense. Good lord.

I wouldn't be shocked if Konami actually went after him though. Some of the older stuff that is kind of orphaned software is one thing (though still messed up, with the fan translations), but holy crap this is something Konami actually SELLS currently.

Khaz

So he must be forever shamed eh?

Konami may sell it, but not on the PC-Engine. Last I know, we were pretty adamant about playing the games on the original hardware and not emulated on a virtual console.

Mercutio

So he must be forever shamed eh?

Konami may sell it, but not on the PC-Engine. Last I know, we were pretty adamant about playing the games on the original hardware and not emulated on a virtual console.

I get both sides of the argument on the whole "This system isn't made anymore etc" but Konami does actually still sell this game, regardless of platform. I think there's a clear legal issue here.

Khaz

There is a legal issue even if the publisher weren't selling the game. The IP are still alive whether being sold or not. Let's not conflate the ethics and the law again.

What he is doing is clearly illegal, just like the myriad of other reproduction makers. To my knowledge no console game has ever been released from its legal chains, unlike on computers.

Would you feel better if he were to only sell the boxes and a CDR with printed art on it? is that your only issue? We all know where to find CD images on the internet, he is just saving the end user the hassle of downloading an iso and burning it. And it's not a very big hassle, it's probably something like 1% of his asking price.

piggychan

There is a legal issue even if the publisher weren't selling the game. The IP are still alive whether being sold or not. Let's not conflate the ethics and the law again.

What he is doing is clearly illegal, just like the myriad of other reproduction makers. To my knowledge no console game has ever been released from its legal chains, unlike on computers.

Would you feel better if he were to only sell the boxes and a CDR with printed art on it? is that your only issue? We all know where to find CD images on the internet, he is just saving the end user the hassle of downloading an iso and burning it. And it's not a very big hassle, it's probably something like 1% of his asking price.

I'm not too fussed on the ethical side of piracy. I'm at the point where I am interested in bootlegs and oddities and while this certainly falls into place I'm debating whether it is worth paying up 99 euros for something that might possibly been made for a fraction of that price. I am also wondering how durable they are and the workmanship gone into them.

It definitely will end up being a collectors piece itself and could possibly end up being more collectible than the original.

Mercutio

His discs do seem to be of good quality. I have his Sapphire and I did get the two free RPG discs minus the dumb packaging. Made my own cases for them. They all work well, and look like originals. Sapphire could easily pass as the real thing if you didn't know what to look for.

I'm just kind of amazed though. He's never sold anything that was still in production or for sale by the rights holder, and that is what is going on here. It's brazen.

Mzo

Can anyone help me break down the incestuous game development between Red/Hudson Soft/Atlus/Aicom/etc.? It's really hard to find out who was responsible for what.

I'm pretty sure Red isn't a developer. They're more like Comcept in that they match devs with pubs and oversee projects.

Apenheul

Can anyone recommend me some nice and affordable PC Engine games? I have four controllers and am mostly interested in multiplayer games, or good single player action games / shoot 'm ups. These are the games I already have:

- Battle Lode Runner
- BE Ball
- Bomberman
- Bomberman 93
- Bomberman 94
- Bomberman Panic
- Deden no Den
- Detana! TwinBee
- Devil's Crush
- Dragon Spirit
- Dungeon Explorer
- Final Lap Twin
- Final Soldier
- Hellfire S
- Kunio-kun Dodge Ball
- Kunio-kun Downtown Nekketsu
- Kunio-kun Soccer
- Legendary Axe
- Legion (yeah... )
- Motoroader II
- Motoroader MC
- Nectaris
- Neutopia
- Ordyne
- Psychic Storm
- Shubibinman 3
- Super Momotarou Densetsu II
- Super Star Soldier
- Ys Book I & II
- Ys Book III

I don't particularly like the Bonk games for some reason, I bought them on the virtual console but they didn't click with me and titles like Castlevania or Lords/Gate of Thunder are too expensive IMO. I can read some Japanese, Ys was doable for the most part but as soon as Kanji are involved I'm out :)

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom