• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mercutio

^ Ninja Spirit and the Valis series (specifically 1 and 3) are personal favorites.

Ninja Spirit has actually gotten pretty expensive. It trends for $70+ for only the card.

I really like Blue Blink, that's a good platform game and I think my sealed copy was like $15. The Doremon games are also really awesome, and inexpensive.

Mzo

That price is disgusting.

If you're coming in to the game now, Turbo Everdrive. It's over. The dream is dead.

Dicer

Banned
That price is disgusting.

If you're coming in to the game now, Turbo Everdrive. It's over. The dream is dead.

Hate to double down on this, but it's the sad truth...Collectards ruined any chance for the people that want to just play the games...

Best bet for real games are imports, still some decently priced stuff there, with little or no language barrier.

Rydeen

Ninja Spirit has actually gotten pretty expensive. It trends for $70+ for only the card.

I really like Blue Blink, that's a good platform game and I think my sealed copy was like $15. The Doremon games are also really awesome, and inexpensive.

What's insane is that happened literally in just the last year. I got into PC Engine / TG-16 last year in March of 2014 and Ninja Spirit was still a reasonable price. I'm wondering what caused the price jump in just a year?

Hate to double down on this, but it's the sad truth...Collectards ruined any chance for the people that want to just play the games...

Best bet for real games are imports, still some decently priced stuff there, with little or no language barrier.

Sad thing about Ninja Spirit is the Japanese version is the expensive one. U.S. version complete can still be had for around $35.

Dicer

Banned
What's insane is that happened literally in just the last year. I got into PC Engine / TG-16 last year in March of 2014 and Ninja Spirit was still a reasonable price. I'm wondering what caused the price jump in just a year?

Sad thing about Ninja Spirit is the Japanese version is the expensive one. U.S. version complete can still be had for around $35.

I think that's a case of the PCE version just looking better, US got stuff with lame art all around...

Mercutio

That blew my mind when I found out. I managed to find a complete one for $65 in the spring and immediately jumped on it. You'd REALLY think that it would be less expensive like everything else on the PC Engine side.

Apenheul

Thanks for the suggestions, Ninja Spirit does look really fun, I'll consider that one. Pomping World looks like a great co-op game!

piggychan

Can anyone recommend me some nice and affordable PC Engine games? I have four controllers and am mostly interested in multiplayer games, or good single player action games / shoot 'm ups. These are the games I already have:

- Battle Lode Runner
- BE Ball
- Bomberman
- Bomberman 93
- Bomberman 94
- Bomberman Panic
- Deden no Den
- Detana! TwinBee
- Devil's Crush
- Dragon Spirit
- Dungeon Explorer
- Final Lap Twin
- Final Soldier
- Hellfire S
- Kunio-kun Dodge Ball
- Kunio-kun Downtown Nekketsu
- Kunio-kun Soccer
- Legendary Axe
- Legion (yeah... )
- Motoroader II
- Motoroader MC
- Nectaris
- Neutopia
- Ordyne
- Psychic Storm
- Shubibinman 3
- Super Momotarou Densetsu II
- Super Star Soldier
- Ys Book I & II
- Ys Book III

I don't particularly like the Bonk games for some reason, I bought them on the virtual console but they didn't click with me and titles like Castlevania or Lords/Gate of Thunder are too expensive IMO. I can read some Japanese, Ys was doable for the most part but as soon as Kanji are involved I'm out :)

Thanks in advance!

multi play games:
Cadash
parasol stars
shockman / Shubibinman I & II
aero blaster
salamander
final match tennis
world court tennis
formation football
Nekketsu Koko PC Soccer
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodge Ball Bu
break in
naxat stadium
hit the ice
don doko don
dragon saber

single player:
jackie chan
legend of hero tomna
jigoku meguri
mizubaku daibouken
mr heli no daibouken
valkyrie no densetsu
populous

Apenheul

Thanks piggychan, going to spend some time watching videos of those games you've listed :)

EDIT: don doko don in particular looks like a gem. I've seen that one lying around quite often and next time I see it I'll purchase it. Thanks again!

D.Lo

Despite warning to the contrary, I got one of these puppies to go with my RX:

ybXzHWx.jpg
$15 in beautiful condition, bargain!

It's actually quite good! A bit chunky, and the dpad is definitely on the rigid side of the scale (compared to the usual PCE controllers having mushy dpad) but I like it! Played some Gradius II and Dracula X and felt completely natural, unlike the feeling with actual bad dpad controllers (e.g. Master System, original PS1).

enewtabie

Quick question. I can pick up a Turbografx 16 cheap today,but can you use the A/v cables from a PC Engine/Japanese version on it? I'm not interested in RF and the turbobooster is like $200.

I've always wanted one and couldn't afford it as a kid so I can now buy one in good condition.

Quick question. I can pick up a Turbografx 16 cheap today,but can you use the A/v cables from a PC Engine/Japanese version on it? I'm not interested in RF and the turbobooster is like $200.

I've always wanted one and couldn't afford it as a kid so I can now buy one in good condition.

There's no AV multi-out. Your options are to use RF or mod it for RGB (or component or S-video, or composite) if you wish. I've also seen some homemade adapters that enable RGB from the turbobooster port for like $50-$60.

enewtabie

There's no AV multi-out. You options are to use RF or mod it for RGB (or component or S-video, or composite) if you wish. I've also seen some homemade adapters that enable RGB from the turbobooster port for like $50-$60.

Thanks
I was just looking at the adapters. I just realized it was rf only without a booster.

Dicer

Banned

If you are handy with some wire cutters you can make a ghetto AV solution on the cheap..

http://www.cgquarterly.com/2010/04/26/building-a-turbografx-16-pc-engine-composite-av-cable/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ9boDVJTAI

Mercutio

I haven't played multiplayer on my PC Engine yet. I don't have a multiplayer adapter
or friends

I had some good ones in NYC. Did a lot of Bomberman / Dungeon Explorer with the maximum number of players! Super fun. Then I moved and now I don't have as many friends in Boston...

Don't waste your money on either kind of Turbo Booster. Get a CD addon instead (and region mod the TG16 as well, preferably)... or just go buy a Japanese Duo, that's a good option too. Yeah, it's pricey, but it's worth it to do at some point, a LOT of the best games are on CD.

Apenheul

Just a question.. Does anyone else's dpad controller input get stuck at times? Sometimes one of the directions just won't work all of a sudden during gameplay and then I need to reconnect the controller. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that mentioned but this happens very regularly with at least two of my controllers.

Dicer

Banned
Just a question.. Does anyone else's dpad controller input get stuck at times? Sometimes one of the directions just won't work all of a sudden during gameplay and then I need to reconnect the controller. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that mentioned but this happens very regularly with at least two of my controllers.

Probably due to age, but they are easy to take apart, and get the innards cleaned up....

Mercutio

Does anyone know if there's a reference for which Turbo CD games came in a cardboard box and which are jewel case-only?

I want to say there was one over at PC Engine FX, but I can't find it now. There was definitely a guide to which games came without jewel cases because someone created labels to create authentic looking packaging.

enewtabie

Thanks everyone. Picked one up today and some games for less than $200 so I'm happy. Had a Splatterhouse CIB that I may go pick up.

thomasos

Has anyone played Lords of the Rising Sun? Is it any good? And I'm really gonna go out on a limb with this next question: does anyone know which is better between the Turbo CD and CD-i versions?

Dicer

Banned
Has anyone played Lords of the Rising Sun? Is it any good? And I'm really gonna go out on a limb with this next question: does anyone know which is better between the Turbo CD and CD-i versions?

I enjoyed it way back in the day, idk how it holds up however, nor do I know anything about the cdi version...

Chibot

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement power source for a Turbo CD combo?

I recently found a decent deal on a TG16 + CD attachment bundle, but the power adapter did not come with it. I was able to test the TG16 with another cable I already had, but I have been unable to find a suitable replacement to power both at the same time. I need to figure this out soon in case the CD attachment is broken. I've searched a couple of other forums and found mostly speculation and people claiming to have had success but with links to sites that no longer sell the adapter. The original brick is hard to find and expensive.

This is what I think I know about the specifics of the OEM adapter at this point:

11v, but 12 should be fine
1.53A (1,530 mA), but 1300-1500 is ok
Negative polarity

Partial cross-post from the September pick up thread.

Got a shipment in from Japan, and it contained mostly PC Engine games. I'll probably get another one in a couple of weeks, with around 10 more PCE games.

Anyway, I was able to add these guys to the collection:

Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo, Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes, Final Soldier, Gate of Thunder, Gunhed, Parodius Da!, PC Genjin, PC Genjin 2, PC Genjin 3, R-Type Complete CD, Hyper Dyne Side Arms Special, Spriggan Mark 2, Tengai Makyou - Fuun Kabuki Den, Tengai Makyou II - Manjimaru, Tengai Makyou - Ziria, Tokimeki Memorial, Yawara! 2, Shin Megami Tensei, and Seirei Senshi Spriggan.

Already owned SMT, but loose disc. Now I got it CIB.

great haul foobarry81

It's probably the haul that ends all other PC Engine hauls. I own most of what I wanted to get for the system now. Not withcounting unrealistic desires such as Magical Chase, Sylphia or Sapphire.

Obviously, I'm missing a good number of quality games still (such as PC Denjin and CD Denjin, Nexzr, Star Parodier, Parasol Stars, ... ) But I'm quite satisfied with my PCE collection at this point. So this was probably the last large batch of PCE imports for me.

That's like $600+ worth of games!

If that is really the case, I did a very good deal. :)

Dicer

Banned
Partial cross-post from the September pick up thread.

Got a shipment in from Japan, and it contained mostly PC Engine games. I'll probably get another one in a couple of weeks, with around 10 more PCE games.

Anyway, I was able to add these guys to the collection:

Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo, Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes, Final Soldier, Gate of Thunder, Gunhed, Parodius Da!, PC Genjin, PC Genjin 2, PC Genjin 3, R-Type Complete CD, Hyper Dyne Side Arms Special, Spriggan Mark 2, Tengai Makyou - Fuun Kabuki Den, Tengai Makyou II - Manjimaru, Tengai Makyou - Ziria, Tokimeki Memorial, Yawara! 2, Shin Megami Tensei, and Seirei Senshi Spriggan.

Already owned SMT, but loose disc. Now I got it CIB.

Mad Jealous, excellent pickup

Top Bottom