• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

hmm...well what are you into?

that's the thing; for a while there i'd ve said Legendary Axe, Bonk's Revenge, Ninja Spirit, Bloody Wolf, Devil's Crush, Splatterhouse, etc were the reasonably-priced go-to's (especially loose PCE hucards), but i stopped paying attention when the spike got stupid a while back, so i don't know which of these are easily attainable - though they're all quality!

IrishNinja

best one i know of offhand...and kind of? Ys is an action one and it's awesome, ive always wanted to get into Neutopia 1 & 2 (zelda clones) but i imagine they're likewise not super cheap these days

Rydeen

Is this version of Splatterhouse one of the better ports?

Next to the FM Towns Marty version, it is THE port. Recommend getting the PC Engine version over the Turbografx-16 version (original mask color, not the changed "red" version in the TG-16 version).

IrishNinja

there might be others - my roommate has a PCE everdrive and there's still tons of stuff to be discovered on my end - but as far as i know, Neutopia 1 & 2 kinda hold it down for zelda-like experiences

Cosmic Fantasy 2. Not a lot of choices in English.

Luckily Ys I & II is one of the best.

CF2 is a standout title for being about one of the most kick-you-in-the-balls JRPG endings but based on fellow gaffer gunsmithX's experience a few years back, i don't know that i can tell you it's a smooth ride in 2015...i recall the encounter rate being kinda high, not sure how bad the grinding necessity was

Dicer

Banned

Also are there any decent RPGs?

Y's I thru IV, for IV you'll need to find the English translation patch, it worth it though
Beyond Shadowgate and Loom, both are more point and click, but well worth playing
Might and Magic III is amazing, but will eat a large part of save memory
Neutiopia if love Zelda both are inspired rips of zelda but awesome in thier own right
Order of the griffon if you love early PC D&D games
And if you want a RC car or tennis RPG check out final lap twin and world court tennis, lol

Edit forgot to add, if you have an Everdrive, try Splatterhouse Chrome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcysR85kd8c

piggychan

Also are there any decent RPGs?

If you like strategies you can also try Daichi Kun crisis and NHK's taiheiki. Both are hucards and may require some back up to save the files but also they both require huuuge save spaces.

I did a write up some time ago on Daichi Kun which I am fairly certain it's about 98% accurate now and someone called Esteban has used it to make a page dedicated to the game.

http://www.tg-16.com/Daichi_Kun_Crisis_FAQ_Guide.htm

I need to get some time to get back into Taiheiki which I feel is another great huCard strategy war game.

I lucked out and got a minty Devil's Crash from eBay for $11 (+$4 ship).

That more than makes up for missing out on cheap a Dragon Knight + Graffiti and a Macross 2036 back to back.

Copying over my posts from the Sega Genesis thread.

I'm in the process of selling some of my older collection on ebay for needed cash, and am putting together groups of stuff to sell:

Current stuff for sale

I thought I'd give the peeps here first look and dibs:
So full list of what I'm thinking of selling:

Genesis games
Have game, case, and instructions, though not is pristine condition (instruction book is pretty beat up, and tend to have stickers from being former rental copies):

Phantom 2040
Target earth
Arcus Odyssey
Ghouls & Ghosts
Traysia

Just game and case:
Super Thunder Blade (case is really beat up)
Pirates of Dark Water
Thunder Force II
Biohazard battle
Dungeon & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (I currently have no idea if the battery is still good)

Just game:
Thunder Force III
Whip Rush
The Lost VIkings

TG-16 games
Double Dungeons (just game and instructions...I'll send in a generic jewel case)

game, instructions, and original jewel case.
Road Spirits
Ys Book I & II
Exile
Valis II
Valis III

holding off on Ys III for the moment, though if someone here were interested, I'd look up prices.

Rydeen

Man the Neutopia games are pretty expensive. Hopefully I find one for pretty cheap, they seem to be decent games.

I just got Neutopia 1 complete for $65 at the Seattle Retro Game Expo. Considering that a complete copy on eBay starts at $80 not including shipping, I think I did pretty well! It's too bad the North American version of Neutopia II is so absurdly expensive.

Teknoman

So its been a week since Cinemassacre put up a Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu video for NES, so I guess its time up.

NES version or TG16 version? I've been going back and forth on this forever, leaning towards TG16 just because it seems like it was the original game(?) but I do like the more cartoony look of the NES version.

I know its the PC engine / TG16 thread, but figured i'd ask here and in the NES thread just to see.

Dicer

Banned
So its been a week since Cinemassacre put up a Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu video for NES, so I guess its time up.

NES version or TG16 version? I've been going back and forth on this forever, leaning towards TG16 just because it seems like it was the original game(?) but I do like the more cartoony look of the NES version.

I know its the PC engine / TG16 thread, but figured i'd ask here and in the NES thread just to see.

PCE/TG16 version is prettier (duh) easier too they aren't exact, the PCE seems to have more actual human enemies while the NES has more mice and stuff.

You really can't lose it an exceptional game on either platform.

Basically think of them as two different platformers with the same name. They're both decently good. The NES game is cheap though while the TG16 one isn't, so getting the NES game first makes sense...

Samuray

I mostly have JP games but for six or seven lesser titles I would prefer the Turbo version. Figured I'd ask on GAF, but....should I do it in here or in the BST?
I'm leaning towards the former option simply because BST is so full with Steam stuff and moves at a really brisk pace....but it would be more of a correct choice to ask there, I suppose.

Teknoman

I mostly have JP games but for six or seven lesser titles I would prefer the Turbo version. Figured I'd ask on GAF, but....should I do it in here or in the BST?
I'm leaning towards the former option simply because BST is so full with Steam stuff and moves at a really brisk pace....but it would be more of a correct choice to ask there, I suppose.

Imo, here, the bst thread, and pcenginefx.com if you have an account there.

Samuray

I do, but I didn't want to spam my requests everywhere at the same time.
If it's okay with everyone I'll try it in here first then.

----

So I recently missed out on a couple of TurboGrafx games, and since most of them seemed to be rather common, maybe I have a chance to find them again.
Looking for games in their cases but no outside cardboard boxes....don't really need those, the standard plastic cases would do just fine.

WTB:

Bravoman
Tiger Road
Victory Run
Boxy Boy
Deep Blue
Devil Crash
Neutopia
Cadash
Keith Courage
Military Madness

If you have any let me know how much you"d want for them, and if you'd be willing to ship to Germany.
Thanks for letting me ask here, by the way! It's not really a trade thread, I know. ^^

IrishNinja

like, if it even said "fan made" or gave any indication, really, i'd be fine with it...pretty scummy though, and look at what it's already catching

Dicer

Banned
like, if it even said "fan made" or gave any indication, really, i'd be fine with it...pretty scummy though, and look at what it's already catching

There is plenty of indication...

Honestly aside from the translation work calamity from the other works, these are printed with the reproduction logo on them, and are just another reproduction with some nice effort tossed in, Anyone that knows half a thing about the PCE knows there was never a release like that. Sure his prices are a bit much for some and his ethics are a bit skewed, but no one else has made an effort to bring us something like this. And obviously someone is buying these because they keep coming out.

I know this community is smaller that the others, but with this and the huge influx of "collectards" it's getting quite bitter, I just want to enjoy the system I grew up with and look forward to what ever homebrew/translations/reproductions come down the pipeline, and people should work together not against each other.

Just my .02 on the matter.

D.Lo

There is plenty of indication...

Honestly aside from the translation work calamity from the other works, these are printed with the reproduction logo on them, and are just another reproduction with some nice effort tossed in, Anyone that knows half a thing about the PCE knows there was never a release like that. Sure his prices are a bit much for some and his ethics are a bit skewed, but no one else has made an effort to bring us something like this. And obviously someone is buying these because they keep coming out.

I know this community is smaller that the others, but with this and the huge influx of "collectards" it's getting quite bitter, I just want to enjoy the system I grew up with and look forward to what ever homebrew/translations/reproductions come down the pipeline, and people should work together not against each other.

Just my .02 on the matter.
It's selling for $220 when it's available for $60 on the guy's website.

People think it's a legit vintage special edition.

IrishNinja

i mean, i agree to an extent - you should know there was no official Secret of Mana 2 SNES, for example - but not saying it on the auction is still kinda shady i think. if we argue "should know better" type stuff this gets a bit closer than id like to repro carts of actual rare games/etc...also a practice im okay with as long as everyone knows what's up

piggychan

The original only came with one disc right ? which is the translated one? So does that mean the japanese game disc is legit then ??

TeaJay

Potential future PCE owner here, just collecting information before making a purchase. I've been thinking that I will probably get a Core Grafx, since most of the games I want to play are on hucards.

Also need to figure out what kind of PSU I need in euroland, but I haven't been able to find confirmation that the same one I use on my AV Famicom would work.

Teknoman

Potential future PCE owner here, just collecting information before making a purchase. I've been thinking that I will probably get a Core Grafx, since most of the games I want to play are on hucards.

Also need to figure out what kind of PSU I need in euroland, but I haven't been able to find confirmation that the same one I use on my AV Famicom would work.

Not trying to make you throw down extra money...but...if you like shooters you probably should have a way to play the CD / SuperCD games.

TeaJay

I like shooters, but I suck at them, so a couple ones would probably suffice.

And unfortunately I like original carts and boxes and cd cases too much to go for everdrives for any device. Thanks for the warning, though.

e: Although I am a bit discouraged already just by looking at the prices of some games that interest me. Not that the NES/SNES/MD/Saturn market is much better nowadays...

This has probably been asked a dozen times, so forgive me for this:

What PC Engine games are worth a shit if I've already played Bonk, Dragon's Curse and Rondo of Blood, and I don't really care for shmups?

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member

What PC Engine games are worth a shit if I've already played Bonk, Dragon's Curse and Rondo of Blood, and I don't really care for shmups?

I really loved Full Speed Delivery Boy. There's a bit of a learning curve for the japanese but you can watch the GCCX episode to get you started. It plays sorta like early GTA, but it's got a lot of personality. The last level is next to impossible for me. Also, it's still very cheap. I think I snagged my loose copy for under $10.

Dicer

Banned

*=might present language barrier, unless you cop US versions
HuCards
Devils Crush (crash)
Kato and EKn (JJ and Jeff)
New Adventure Island
Dungeon Explorer*
Bomber man 93/94
Ninja Spirit
Jackie Chan action Kung Fu
Neutopia 1 and 2*

CD
Dynastic Hero*
Dungeon Explorer II*
Kaze Kiri
Ys series (all are available in English)
Future boy Conan
Fausette Armor

And if you do give a shit about racing, Road Spirits (CD) and Victory run (hucard) are both worth a look.

Hope that helps a bit, there are more but that's a solid start.

catabarez

I'm thinking of adding an LED to my PC Engine Duo R. How difficult would it be to add an LED right next to the existing CD activity bulb? I'd rather not use any hot glue for this.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna have to try out the Dungeon Explorer and Neutopia games. I've only just recently gotten into action RPGs of that era, so they seem like a good fit.

New Adventure Island rocks. Try it!

It's probably my favorite Adventure Island game (great art and audio), but I don't think the gameplay of the series as a whole has enough substance for me to really get into it.

Top Bottom