• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mzo

Play Legendary Axe, the greatest game Aicom (Not Red, who never developed anything or Atlus) worked on.

Also it's Faussete Amour, not Armor.

piggychan

Play Legendary Axe, the greatest game Aicom (Not Red, who never developed anything or Atlus) worked on.

2nd one is pretty slick especially in the audio department. Has that very unique pc engine sound.

I am a little too pre occupied with AC Happy Home on the 3DS to see all the posts but also..

Most of the IREM pc engine games and Taito ports and original titles are pretty decent too.

Mzo

The 2nd game is completely different in every respect and was likely an Atlus joint.

There's also Photograph Boy aka Gekisha Boy or just Gekibo. Pretty unique aside from the PS2 sequel or Pokemon Snap.

AmyS

My contribution to this thread today:

pAIQTs7.jpg

While I never enjoyed Section-Z, I really liked Side Arms on Turbo.

Also:

guzb9ya.jpg

.........................lol ^

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Has anyone played Bubblegum Crash!: Knight Sabers 2034? I loaded it up on a lark on my everdrive and was surprised to find there's a translation. Seems like a neat cyberpunk whodunit visual novel. Wondering if anyone here has spoiler free thoughts on it.

Dicer

Banned
Are there not many PC Engine fan translations out there? Any notable ones?

Xak III
Ys IV
Shada (posted a while back)
Aoi Blink (Blue blink)
Bubble Gum Crash
Die Hard
Knight rider Special
Crest of Gaia
Lode Runner
Maerchen maze
Photograph boy
Puzzle Boy
Shanghai
Son Son II
Tower of Daruga
Wobder boy in Monster land

In progress
Anearth Fantasy Stories
Xanadu II
and more...

Teknoman

Xak III
Ys IV
Shada (posted a while back)
Aoi Blink (Blue blink)
Bubble Gum Crash
Die Hard
Knight rider Special
Crest of Gaia
Lode Runner
Maerchen maze
Photograph boy
Puzzle Boy
Shanghai
Son Son II
Tower of Daruga
Wobder boy in Monster land

In progress
Anearth Fantasy Stories
Xanadu II
and more...

Awesome that Xanadu 2 is getting one. Hopefully it's more cd games than anything, since those are easier for real hardware.

Teknoman

This has probably been asked a dozen times, so forgive me for this:

What PC Engine games are worth a shit if I've already played Bonk, Dragon's Curse and Rondo of Blood, and I don't really care for shmups?

If you like run n gun, Bloody Wolf is good. Splatterhouse is cool for a run through every so often.

D.Lo

Here's something hilarious.

The original PC Engine pad, which does not have turbo functions, has almost the entire infrastructure to be a turbo pad. The PCB supports it, and the case even has the clips for the turbo buttons.

Why? Either they were pulled at the last minute, or NEC had a plan to sell turbo pads right from the start, and pulled them to sell an upgrade to players.

piggychan

Just got legend of Xanadu in the post today from yahoo auctions altogether including shipping about 14 USD

2C50DA5B-C6C7-4004-AD3B-868CA028F35A.jpg

Although the instructions and game cd is fine unfortunately the casing is not..
59EE10F5-E987-42A3-B4ED-49CDFA3C9350.jpg

Mzo

I hate that feeling when something survives intact for 20+ years and gets wrecked on its way to me or (heaven forbid) in my possession.

Just got legend of Xanadu in the post today from yahoo auctions altogether including shipping about 14 USD

Can I ask why you got it off Yahoo Auctions? I think you could've gotten it off of eBay for a similar price.

Anyway, really sucks what happened to the case. Was it badly packaged or did your mailman go Ace Ventura on it?

Dicer

Banned

2C50DA5B-C6C7-4004-AD3B-868CA028F35A.jpg

59EE10F5-E987-42A3-B4ED-49CDFA3C9350.jpg

That case is brittle. Mine has some slight damage too as do others, comes with the age sadly...

piggychan

Can I ask why you got it off Yahoo Auctions? I think you could've gotten it off of eBay for a similar price.

Anyway, really sucks what happened to the case. Was it badly packaged or did your mailman go Ace Ventura on it?

came in bubble wrap and jiffy bag most likely got squashed with all the other parcels.

but regarding ebay..in short I just had enough of ebay and some of it's buyers and sellers.

Cross-post from the October pickup thread:

Picked up these PCE games: Farjius no Jakoutei - Neo Metal Fantasy, Dungeon Explorer, Kuusou Kagaku Sekai Gulliver Boy, Mashou Denki La Valeur, Cosmic Fantasy 3, Xak I-II, Ys III, The Legend of Xanadu II, Super Raiden, and Puyo Puyo CD

Most of them were cheap, so it will be fun to give them a spin.

Lettuce

So just managed to score...

2x PC Engine Core Grafx 2 console with pad and AV cable
2x PC Engine console with pad and psu
1x PC Engine console only

for £155 delivered, i think thats a good deal?....as looking at prices here in the UK there about 60 quid unboxed

Am going to clean them up and RGB mod them, keep 2 and sell the rest on.

What is the actual difference between a, PC Engine (White), Core Grafx (Grey with Blue text), and Core Grafx 2 (Grey with Orange text) please?

Dicer

Banned
So just managed to score...

2x PC Engine Core Grafx 2 console with pad and AV cable
2x PC Engine console with pad and psu
1x PC Engine console only

for £155 delivered, i think thats a good deal?....as looking at prices here in the UK there about 60 quid unboxed

Am going to clean them up and RGB mod them, keep 2 and sell the rest on.

What is the actual difference between a, PC Engine (White), Core Grafx (Grey with Blue text), and Core Grafx 2 (Grey with Orange text) please?

PCE (White) is RF only, so needs modding or an IFU/AV booster for anything better...

Core GFX adds AV out, Core GFX II is pretty much the same just a cosmetic variance that matches the SuperCDrom2 unit.

And you got a heck of a deal...

Lettuce

PCE (White) is RF only, so needs modding or an IFU/AV booster for anything better...

Core GFX adds AV out, Core GFX II is pretty much the same just a cosmetic variance that matches the SuperCDrom2 unit.

And you got a heck of a deal...

Cool thanks. So what needs to be done the Core GFX 1 & 2 to get RGB??

Samuray

One of the best, if you import go for the CD unless you want the game split between 2 cards, you'll also get some cinematic and new music...

That "cinematic and new music" is the reason why I sold "R-Type Complete" the same day I got it and imported the single HuCard version from the US. Damn, that was nasty....

Well, maybe it's nice but I really wasn't expecting that....didn't read up properly befpre the purchase. I figured it would just be the normal game on one disc instead of two cards. Boy, was I wrong... :-/

Dicer

Banned
That "cinematic and new music" is the reason why I sold "R-Type Complete" the same day I got it and imported the single HuCard version from the US. Damn, that was nasty....

Well, maybe it's nice but I really wasn't expecting that....didn't read up properly befpre the purchase. I figured it would just be the normal game on one disc instead of two cards. Boy, was I wrong... :-/

I like the music, some don't...

Samuray

I like the music, some don't...

Yeah, sure, I mean....maybe it's nice to have in addition to classic "R-Type", but when you expect the well-known and loved melodies and are treated to ....that.... then it takes some getting used to.

(Personally I don't think it goes with the atmosphere of the game at all.)

The CD version has infinite continues, while the HuCard versions, US or Japanese, do not. That alone makes me very much want the CD version, though I have the US card release; R-Type is very difficult and those continues would be a huge help.

The music is weird though, in the CD version, yeah. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

I have a few pads for my PC Engines, but they're all a bit, well naff. The original pads are quite nice, but need complete reconditioning. I do have a fairly newish avenue pad that I got with my Duo, but the D Pad isn't great.

I have a few really good joypads for the PS1 with excellent D Pads, so ... I Just picked up one of those Tototek PS1 -> PCE joypad adapters.

It works really great and is nice to have a bit more length on the cable. It needs remapping for 6 button Street Fighter and I'm not sure how to do that yet, but it'll be great for my PCE gaming.

Anyway, now that I have a PS1 interface, I'm thinking what's the best arcade stick out there, that Namco one? I used to own one of those, then I sold it years and years ago for next to nothing. :(

Anyway, now that I have a PS1 interface, I'm thinking what's the best arcade stick out there, that Namco one? I used to own one of those, then I sold it years and years ago for next to nothing. :(

The beauty of that adapter is it works fine with PS2 sticks as well. Skip the Namco and get an HRAP or HRAP2 instead.

Mercutio

The best PCE native arcade stick out there kicks the crap out of anything made for the PS1:

http://magweasel.com/2009/07/16/i-love-the-pc-engine-xe-1-pro-he/

$_35.JPG

It has a multi-tap on the side. A GOD DAMNED MULTI-TAP ON THE SIDE.

Or you could build your own with an MC Cthulhu board, which is what I did. The only downside is that my Duo R can't seem to comfortably run two MC Cthulhus at once.

AmyS

R-Type was an outstanding port. It was also expensive. i remember it being $70 here in the U.S. for a long time.

Rydeen

I've been in Japan since Friday. For three days I was in Nagoya, and now I'm in Tokyo. I wanted to show off my pick-ups in here specifically because of the PC Engine scores, which are INSANE. These are all Nagoya pick-ups BTW, haven't even started looking around Tokyo yet.

Top Bottom