• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

I've been in Japan since Friday. For three days I was in Nagoya, and now I'm in Tokyo. I wanted to show off my pick-ups in here specifically because of the PC Engine scores, which are INSANE. These are all Nagoya pick-ups BTW, haven't even started looking around Tokyo yet.

Spriggan!

Still need Kiki Kaikai and Kaze Kiri for my own collection. And like Irish said the Batman game is "special", but I've heard it's really worth it too.

piggychan

Oh yeah for sure, but after the awesome action of both the NES and Genesis games, it's a nice change of pace.

I wish those maze like levels had some variety or even a mixture of maze and platforming... but I suspect Sunsoft didn't want to bring their hucard games size past 4megabits. Such a shame considering how much went into the music sampling and cut scenes.

Rydeen

I wish those maze like levels had some variety or even a mixture of maze and platforming... but I suspect Sunsoft didn't want to bring their hucard games size past 4megabits. Such a shame considering how much went into the music sampling and cut scenes.
I love the variations on the iconic NES tunes.

The beauty of that adapter is it works fine with PS2 sticks as well. Skip the Namco and get an HRAP or HRAP2 instead.

The best PCE native arcade stick out there kicks the crap out of anything made for the PS1:

http://magweasel.com/2009/07/16/i-love-the-pc-engine-xe-1-pro-he/

$_35.JPG

It has a multi-tap on the side. A GOD DAMNED MULTI-TAP ON THE SIDE.

Or you could build your own with an MC Cthulhu board, which is what I did. The only downside is that my Duo R can't seem to comfortably run two MC Cthulhus at once.

Thanks chaps, I'll keep my options open.

That xe-1 looks dope.

I've been in Japan since Friday. For three days I was in Nagoya, and now I'm in Tokyo. I wanted to show off my pick-ups in here specifically because of the PC Engine scores, which are INSANE. These are all Nagoya pick-ups BTW, haven't even started looking around Tokyo yet.
Mmm, quite a few I've been looking for in that stack.

How were the prices for Faussete Amour and Kaze Kiri ?

They were expensive, but factoring in the yen to dollar conversion and shipping and handling costs that otherwise would exist, they were WAY below the standard eBay prices.
I guess that's not unreasonable.

Were these lucky finds or did you stumble upon them quickly? My wife wants to go to Japan and my only requests for the trip are to check out Japanese craft beer breweries and go PC-Engine hunting.

Rydeen

I guess that's not unreasonable.

Were these lucky finds or did you stumble upon them quickly? My wife wants to go to Japan and my only requests for the trip are to check out Japanese craft beer breweries and go PC-Engine hunting.
Both games were found at game stores, but like I specified they were at Mandarake and Super Potato in Nagoya, and not Tokyo. The same games at the same chain stores in Tokyo are way more expensive due to being in a higher foot traffic area, so my advice is to look for the higher end games in smaller cities / prefectures than Tokyo and just browse the Hard-Off and Book-Off chains for deals in the Tokyo area.

The only game store I'd genuinely recommend in Akihabara is Friends, which has great selection and way lower prices than the rest of the stores in the area.

D.Lo

Book off has largely ditched anything older than PSX, though some amazing PSX bargains can still be had, many good games for 100Y.

Hard offs in more regional areas are where the bargains are. At least an hour out of Tokyo or Osaka, the further you go, the cheaper the prices. 100Y for boxed consoles, sometimes game prices max out at 1000Y.

Mercutio

Jesus, some people in that thread accused the PCE of "trying."

So if the PCE tried, what the shit did the Genesis do? Shit itself and fall down?

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Bit of a shot in the dark here to see if anyone can help on this issue with my turbo everdrive. I already posted on krikkz' forum but maybe someone here has experienced this:

I just got a second TED for a friend in the mail. I already have one (v1.2) that works great on my modded Duo R. The TED I got today is another v1.2 and is apparently identical to the one I have that works fine. I swapped in the sd card, booted up and the duo goes straight to the Super CD-ROM system menu. I tried cleaning contacts, redownloading the bios files, and another sd card, swapped regions. Same result every time it just boots to the CD-ROM menu. The red LED lights up when I press reset so the TED should be getting power. Not sure if that matters. Is there anything else I can try or is this TED dead on arrival?

Bar81

Jesus, some people in that thread accused the PCE of "trying."

So if the PCE tried, what the shit did the Genesis do? Shit itself and fall down?

While some are really overselling the PCE's alleged "superiority" over the MD, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that there's a lot of ignorance out there including on these boards.

entremet

Yeah it turned into a pissin fest of sorts, people just don't know any better...

Honestly, the main forums (read: not community) tend to attract tons of shitposting. It's kinda sad. Mods have their hands tied since it happens so frequently.

piggychan

Does the PC-Engine, Core Grafx and Core Grafx 2 all use the same PSU??

yup

EDIT

since it's halloween what to play tonight ?XD

My CD games are a bit scarce but I should have no shortage on the HuCard format :p

3417B874-EEA8-4FC6-8919-1E52143F55D1.jpg

438EF74F-6096-425B-86CD-3DA5D5510798.jpg

Even Don Doko Don wants to get in on that Halloween action!!
6BA5A13A-18E5-4BE5-A8D5-9133FC185681.jpg

Was it Don Doko Don that was the game that was originally rare, and then someone discovered a massive crate full of them?

Hey guys, I really want to start collecting for the Turbografx but I've got a few questions:

I'm from the UK, what's the best version of this system to get for peformance and cost? To my knowledge this didn't get a PAL release so i shouldn't have to deal with 50hz right?

Also what are the 5 must have games for this system (just to start me off)?

I've heard this console whispered about every now and then and I feel it's finally time to give it some love. Played Bonk on Virtual Console if that counts!

Hey guys, I really want to start collecting for the Turbografx but I've got a few questions:

I'm from the UK, what's the best version of this system to get for peformance and cost? To my knowledge this didn't get a PAL release so i shouldn't have to deal with 50hz right?

I've heard this console whispered about every now and then and I feel it's finally time to give it some love. Played Bonk on Virtual Console if that counts!

Don't want to discourage you too much, but I don't think you'll be able to pick up the 5 must have systems "just to start you off" anymore. Some of them are VERY pricey, e.g. Castlevania X - Rondo of Blood (Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo) is easily a £100+ game.

That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other games to explore on the system, and many of them can still be hand for good to reasonable prices. Mind you that TurboGrafX games are generally harder to get and pricier than their PC Engine counterparts. Many of the latter are perfectly playable even if you don't know any Japanese, btw.

Don't want to discourage you too much, but I don't think you'll be able to pick up the 5 must have systems "just to start you off" anymore. Some of them are VERY pricey, e.g. Castlevania X - Rondo of Blood (Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo) is easily a £100+ game.

That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other games to explore on the system, and many of them can still be hand for good to reasonable prices. Mind you that TurboGrafX games are generally harder to get and pricier than their PC Engine counterparts. Many of the latter are perfectly playable even if you don't know any Japanese, btw.

The majority of my Super Nintendo games are Japanese for this very reason, are any systems region locked?

The majority of my Super Nintendo games are Japanese for this very reason, are any systems region locked?

The HuCards/Turbo Chips are region locked. All (Super) CD-ROM² / Turbo CD games should be region free.

For CD-ROM based games you'll need the correct System Card however (= HuCard with an updated OS) though.

Edit: the different System Cards
System Card (CD-ROM² System, v1.00)
System Card (CD-ROM² System, v2.00)
System Card (CD-ROM² System, v2.10)
Super System Card (Super CD-ROM² System, v3.00)
Arcade Card Pro (Arcade CD-ROM², v3.00)
Arcade Card Duo (Arcade CD-ROM², v3.00)

The Super System Card covers all your needs except for a few games. The Arcade Cards cover everything. So you'll want either a Super System Card or an Arcade Card.

Dicer

Banned
The HuCards/Turbo Chips are region locked. All (Super) CD-ROM² / Turbo CD games should be region free.

For CD-ROM based games you'll need the correct System Card however (= HuCard with an updated OS) though.

Edit: the different System Cards
System Card (CD-ROM² System, v1.00)
System Card (CD-ROM² System, v2.00)
System Card (CD-ROM² System, v2.10)
Super System Card (Super CD-ROM² System, v3.00)
Arcade Card Pro (Arcade CD-ROM², v3.00)
Arcade Card Duo (Arcade CD-ROM², v3.00)

The Super System Card covers all your needs except for a few games. The Arcade Cards cover everything. So you'll want either a Super System Card or an Arcade Card.

Way to over complicate...

Get a super System card or Arcade card, only need a 1.0 card if you REALLY need to play altered beast on CD, lol...The Arcade card is only for a handful of games, mostly NeoGeo ports and the overrated Sapphire.

Add a region mod or adapter to make all hucards work.

Mzo

The best hardware to get would be a Turbo Duo since it can play card and CD games. The Duos have the System cards built-in, so you only have to worry about the Arcade card (and you probably won't care.) The US version is rare and expensive, so you might have bettter luck with the Japanese Duo or Duo RX (only difference really being the controller.) US Duos are known to be unreliable, but only because they were manufactured with a bad batch of capacitors that need to be replaced ASAP.

Japanese HuCards and US Turbochips are not compatible without an adapter or a (cheap and easy) system mod. CD games are region free across the board.

My 5 game recommendations, to get started:

Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 (aka 3-in-1) US Turbo Duo pack-in disc that also includes Bonk 1 and 2)
Legendary Axe
Ys I & II
Ninja Spirit
Dragon's Curse

Just keep in mind everything has shot up in price. There are some amazing games that are too expensive for me to recommend, but that depends on who's buying I guess.

The best hardware to get would be a Turbo Duo since it can play card and CD games. The Duos have the System cards built-in, so you only have to worry about the Arcade card (and you probably won't care.) The US version is rare and expensive, so you might have bettter luck with the Japanese Duo or Duo RX (only difference really being the controller.) US Duos are known to be unreliable, but only because they were manufactured with a bad batch of capacitors that need to be replaced ASAP.

Japanese HuCards and US Turbochips are not compatible without an adapter or a (cheap and easy) system mod. CD games are region free across the board.

My 5 game recommendations, to get started:

Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 (aka 3-in-1) US Turbo Duo pack-in disc that also includes Bonk 1 and 2)
Legendary Axe
Ys I & II
Ninja Spirit
Dragon's Curse

Just keep in mind everything has shot up in price. There are some amazing games that are too expensive for me to recommend, but that depends on who's buying I guess.
Thanks so much, i'm eyeing up a few Turbo Duos. Really interested in Ys so i'll keep watching as see what turns up :)

Mercutio

Way to over complicate...

Get a super System card or Arcade card, only need a 1.0 card if you REALLY need to play altered beast on CD, lol...The Arcade card is only for a handful of games, mostly NeoGeo ports and the overrated Sapphire.

Add a region mod or adapter to make all hucards work.

You can also see "STAGE X" in Dracula X with the 1.0 card, I think. Waaaaaaay better than that shitty Altered Beast port. Nobody needs that.

I still stand by my assertion that Sapphire would be amazing if it was available for under $100. I really enjoy it, it's like a wonky over the top Star Soldier game in some ways. Not nearly as good, but kind of a blast especially in 2UP mode.

Dicer

Banned
...wait, you need a card for a certain stage in Dracula X?

No, you'll just see a "warning" if you don't have the right system card in the console when you boot some CD games... DracX had a lil SD "sonic" looking stage about not having the right card.

demo-screen3.png

Dicer

Banned
Unfortunately not, the Arcade card has an extra 2MB of RAM. It's a crazy amount for the time, ten times system 3.0 card! More than the PS1 has!

It's a shame the ACD came so late in the game, wish we had more games supporting it, because yes, it's a looney amount of ram to have at that time...

piggychan

If you want an all in one. I would consider getting the DUO-R. The older models of the pc engine ie: DUO, PC engine GT/TurboExpress, white pc engine and briefcase set up might require to be re capped and new lens.

duo_rset.gif

Added a couple more PC Engine games to the collection. Nothing remarkable. Just some cheap and common games I didn't have yet: Nectaris, Neutopia: Frey no Shou, Sorcerian and Youkai Douchuuki.

piggychan

Added a couple more PC Engine games to the collection. Nothing remarkable. Just some cheap and common games I didn't have yet: Nectaris, Neutopia: Frey no Shou, Sorcerian and Youkai Douchuuki.

I definitely need to pick up sorcerian at some stage. Youki Dou is a game that sold me on the pc engine more than r-type during the early life of the pc engine's release. I love those underworld/buddhist themes but it's soo damn frustrating at times.

I definitely need to pick up sorcerian at some stage. Youki Dou is a game that sold me on the pc engine more than r-type during the early life of the pc engine's release. I love those underworld/buddhist themes but it's soo damn frustrating at times.

It's definitely gone up in price in the past year, but don't think it's ever going to be an expensive game, so no rush imo.

Yeah, Youkai D really seems like an interesting game.

IrishNinja

love my Duo-R (now that it's acting right), and the way it shines on shelves full of black systems is great too. think i need to get back to Rondo.

Top Bottom