• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers, what screen size do you use?

What monitor size do you use?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 26 9.3%

Votes: 91 32.5%

Votes: 64 22.9%
  • 43 or bigger

Votes: 99 35.4%

• Total voters

Hoddi

3440x1440 at 34" that I use for both work and gaming. I had two 27" 1440p and 4k monitors before that but I wanted to simplify my setup.

My 2080Ti was also getting a bit long in the tooth at 4k. I'll probably go back when the next-gen GPUs start rolling out and hope we'll see some ultrawide 4k OLEDs.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

SoloCamo

28" 4k since 2014 (on a IPS model now though, first was TN) - I should be wearing my glasses and the screen size doesn't help since I refuse to use scaling but man do the games & videos look good.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

VR Headset. Gives me virtually unlimited sized screens which is neat but I rarely use it that way (Emulating 3DS games in 3D: Metroid Samus Returns in 6x resolution with 60fps mod and AI-Upscaled textures looks gorgeous). I prefer to play native VR games or flat games modded to VR the rest of the time, though.

Ellery

Went from 21'' 1080p to 24'' 1080p high refresh rate and then 27'' 1440p 144hz
and now I am on 32'' 4K 144hz.

I think with 32'' now I feel pretty good about the size and going bigger might be harder unless I put it further away or mount it to the wall

Rickyiez

48" LG C1 Oled
27" Gigabyte M27q IPS

Both on my desk. All the gaming goodness but ironically I game alot less now :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Larxia

28" 4k since 2014 (on a IPS model now though, first was TN) - I should be wearing my glasses and the screen size doesn't help since I refuse to use scaling but man do the games & videos look good.
I'm confused about 4K on 27-28" screens. Isn't everything in windows way too small? Even 1440p on a 27", everything feels much smaller than on a 1080p 24", so I couldn't imagine at 4K.

At the moment I have both screens 27”, one is an OLED 1440p 240hz and the other an IPS 1440p 180hz.

On my holiday house I have a single 3440x1440 IPS 100hz screen.

I’m thinking of getting a 32” 4K OLED, honestly playing on the desk is much better for shooters like CoD and some other MP games.

Whenever I’m playing Single Player games on the PC I usually end up connecting it to my LG G2

Last edited:

smbu2000

In my main pc room I use my old tv as my main monitor (48” 4K LG CX) along with a 24” 1200p monitor as secondary.

When I want to use my pc in the living room then I use my other monitor, LG 27” 1440p 240hz, and connect it to my secondary microatx PC.

Main PC has a 4090 which is fine for 4k and my smaller secondary PC has a slightly weaker gpu, so it is fine at 1440p on the 27”.

Garibaldi

A 38" 3840x1600 (144hz freesync) Ultrawide is the main monitor for work and big m/kb gaming. Got a separate 27" 1440p (144hz freesync) that gets used for browsing/email etc

Then a 55" LG CX 3840x2160 (120hz freesync) HDR OLED TV is available if I wanna lie on the study couch with a controller.

Last edited:

hinch7

At the moment I have both screens 27”, one is an OLED 1440p 240hz and the other an IPS 1440p 180hz.

On my holiday house I have a single 3440x1440 IPS 100hz screen.

I’m thinking of getting a 32” 4K OLED, honestly playing on the desk is much better for shooters like CoD and some other MP games.

Whenever I’m playing Single Player games on the PC I usually end up connecting it to my LG G2
Can recommend the move to 32" at 4K. Big gains in visual fidelity and immersion, without it being too large for desktop use. And assuming you have something like a 7900XT or 4070Ti Super and beyond.

Not great for competitive games full screen as its size, distance and your FOV will put you at a disadvantage verses people with smaller screens and ultrawides.. but you can set something like 1600P (DLSS works in MW3 at this res) with 21:9 aspect ratio in game. In which case you get the best of both worlds. I have a 21:9 toggle on my Samsung G8 and its a great feature as is the remote for it.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
A 29" ultra-wide Phillips and a 24" MSI (mostly using them for work though). My main gaming 'monitor' is a 55" Samsung S95B OLED-TV.

Can recommend the move to 32" at 4K. Big gains in visual fidelity and immersion, without it being too large for desktop use. And assuming you have something like a 7900XT or 4070Ti Super and beyond.

Not great for competitive games full screen as its size, distance and your FOV will put you at a disadvantage verses people with smaller screens and ultrawides.. but you can set something like 1600P (DLSS works in MW3 at this res) with 21:9 aspect ratio in game. In which case you get the best of both worlds. I have a 21:9 toggle on my Samsung G8 and its a great feature as is the remote for it.
Yep I own a 7900XTX, hence thinking to do the jump.

Not a problem for competitive as I'll keep the 1440p OLED on the side for it!

Braag

32" 3840 x 2160 IPS

I saw the OLED version like 2 months later for only 80€ more so I felt a little pissed lol

BlackTron

24" is my sweet spot to have a "big monitor" but not so big the downsides pop up. For FPS you don't want the screen too small (small targets) or too big (have to move your eyes too much). Another few inches and 1440p is really required, but playing at 1080 leaves my hardware with comfy breathing room for solid framerates and it looks fine on 24".

It's ideal for a comp shooter or RTS game but if I play say a third person adventure on PC I'm likely to run a cable to my TV, but not always lol. Consoles make life easy there but sometimes a PC version is so much better you don't care about convenience and just wanna geek up.

Melon Husk

I still find 24" the most ergonomic size for long sessions. I wish there were 2160p/120Hz options available.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Using a very rare 24" 1440p display. I like the smaller screen size and the increase in dpi is noticeable in comparison to 1080p at the same size. Not a lot of gaming monitors available with this size/resolution, 100hz was the best I could do.

NahaNago

recently bought two 27 inch monitors but they aren't really gaming monitors. I'll probably upgrade next year. I just wanted something for the pc I just bought.

27" 1440p 360 Hz Alienware AW2725DF QD-OLED here, bought in February, and that was a replacement from my 6 year old 165 Hz 1440p ASUS PG279Q IPS monitor.

Although I play PS5 and Xbox Series X games on my 55" LG C3 OLED TV, I personally think that 4K is overrated so upgrading from 1440p was never a consideration when I was looking at OLED and QD-OLED monitors last year. 1440p is the sweet spot for me offering great image quality at max graphical settings with either a 120 fps framerate cap or an uncapped "up to 360 fps" when using DLSS3 frame gen.

The reality is that when you buy a 4K monitor you are not actually going to be playing games at native 4K anyway, unless they're low fidelity indie games or really old titles, but upscaled from lower resolutions using DLSS or FSR etc. Upscaled games look fine on a TV from a normal viewing distance but you generally sit much closer to a PC monitor so any image imperfections are much more noticeable in my view.

I get using 4K monitors for productivity work, however, as it gives you more screen space and better IQ at native resolution. For games though, not so much in my experience, when you have to compromise on settings to get playable framerates.

Last edited:
55' LG OLED E8 with a 4090, I9 setup at 4K, 60fps.

I don't need a higher framerate than this so I can really push every game's graphical capabilities.

Top Bottom