• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

What about T300 base + 599xx rim + ProtoSimTech PT-1 pedals + adapter (there is an adapter that lets you use them on a Thrustmaster base for console use and 100% compatibility on PC sims, right?)

Or wait until GT Sport is released, then we'll know if the Thrustmaster wheel will be direct-drive or if Kaz lied (sorry, "was lost in translation") again. Also, there might be a chance that Thrustmaster will offer better pedals along with that wheel, if it will be over $700.

Makikou

What about T300 base + 599xx rim + ProtoSimTech PT-1 pedals + adapter (there is an adapter that lets you use them on a Thrustmaster base for console use and 100% compatibility on PC sims, right?)

Or wait until GT Sport is released, then we'll know if the Thrustmaster wheel will be direct-drive or if Kaz lied (sorry, "was lost in translation") again. Also, there might be a chance that Thrustmaster will offer better pedals along with that wheel, if it will be over $700.

Good luck getting PST PT-1's. They dumped the waiting list so now you just have to get lucky and check their site when they have some stock. And even then you have to wait a damn long time.

I didn't list T300RS' with other rims simply because I'm sure US members of GAF can find better deals than me. I only really know Amazon.com so I linked from there. (as I am European)

Also I really doubt Thrustmaster could make as high quality and performance pedals as Fanatec does with Clubsport's. They are simply superior in under 400$ price range.

Good luck getting PST PT-1's. They dumped the waiting list so now you just have to get lucky and check their site when they have some stock. And even then you have to wait a damn long time.
WoaH, I didn't know that. I remember hearing they dumped the waiting list because they could make and deliver them faster, must have gotten that wrong.

I'm sure Thrustmaster could make great pedals, but yeah, they won't. I still could see them making a cheap load-cell set (or an upgradeable set to have people buy the brake pedal over and over again like they kind of did with the rims as every new rim was better than the last).

Makikou

So is fanatec the best of them all? I'm looking for a servo base/wheel base since I'd prefer to play cars with the right wheel rim.

That TS-PC Racer looks great.

Thrustmaster also has multiple wheel rims that fit the TS-PC, T300RS, T500RS & TX bases for example.

Thrustmaster Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel, Alcantara Edition - 179.99$

Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 GTE Wheel Rim - 123.90$

Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel Rim - 149.99$

Thrustmaster Leather Wheel Rim

Fanatec has slightly more options but I think the Thrustmaster rims are also pretty good. No rev lights or anything in Thrustmaster rims though, while Fanatec do have those.

I have personally not used Fanatec CSL nor do I have experience with the TS-PC Racer yet. My teammate got the TS-PC last week and has been super satisfied with it after switching from T500RS. I only have a T300RS.

Ocho

Thrustmaster also has multiple wheel rims that fit the TS-PC, T300RS, T500RS & TX bases for example.

Thrustmaster Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel, Alcantara Edition - 179.99$

Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 GTE Wheel Rim - 123.90$

Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel Rim - 149.99$

Thrustmaster Leather Wheel Rim

Fanatec has slightly more options but I think the Thrustmaster rims are also pretty good. No rev lights or anything in Thrustmaster rims though, while Fanatec do have those.

I have personally not used Fanatec CSL nor do I have experience with the TS-PC Racer yet. My teammate got the TS-PC last week and has been super satisfied with it after switching from T500RS. I only have a T300RS.

Yeah, those looks nice. I have a Thrustmaster TMX Pro, I can't remove the steering wheel from that version, right? I can't find anything about it in the manual.

Makikou

Yeah, those looks nice. I have a Thrustmaster TMX Pro, I can't remove the steering wheel from that version, right? I can't find anything about it in the manual.

Yeah TMX base does not have a swappable wheel rim. Looked up on Thrustmasters website.

I love my T500rs. Should I upgrade to something else?
The T500 lacks what the Inside Sim Racing guys semm to call "smoothness". I always thought smoothness was about how much you feel the teeth from the drivebelt, but it seems it's how easy you can turn the wheel when it's supposed to be forceless. The T500 is still really hard to turn and thus swollows up subtle forces, you don't feel the rims own angular momentum, just the motor's torque and momentum. From the build quality, my TX kinda feels like a toy compared to my T500, but I usually avoid using my T500 since I've gotten my TX because of the lacking "smoothness".
Looking at just a spreadsheet about digital precision, torque, force linearity and so on, you'd never guess the shortcomings of the T500 - I sure didn't. For comparison: A direct-drive wheel is supposed to be able to feel like it's on a glass-bearing when the software is working perfectly.
The T500 feels kinda right in a heavy GT car on slicks with traction control where you hopefully never need much quick feel and countersteering. My current favorite car in sim racing, the Caterham 360R from Automobilista, would lose its magic on a T500 in my opinion.

VVV Mars VG

The T500 lacks what the Inside Sim Racing guys semm to call "smoothness". I always thought smoothness was about how much you feel the teeth from the drivebelt, but it seems it's how easy you can turn the wheel when it's supposed to be forceless. The T500 is still really hard to turn and thus swollows up subtle forces, you don't feel the rims own angular momentum, just the motor's torque and momentum. From the build quality, my TX kinda feels like a toy compared to my T500, but I usually avoid using my T500 since I've gotten my TX because of the lacking "smoothness".
Looking at just a spreadsheet about digital precision, torque, force linearity and so on, you'd never guess the shortcomings of the T500 - I sure didn't. For comparison: A direct-drive wheel is supposed to be able to feel like it's on a glass-bearing when the software is working perfectly.
The T500 feels kinda right in a heavy GT car on slicks with traction control where you hopefully never need much quick feel and countersteering. My current favorite car in sim racing, the Caterham 360R from Automobilista, would lose its magic on a T500 in my opinion.

I can see where you're coming from, to me that sounds more like wheel weight. You like a wheel that feels loose and communicates the road detail, where as the comparatively grindy nature of the T500 system may feel heavier. The TSPC wheel is definitely smoother and impressions so far are excellent, but I won't review it till I've got it working on more games, right now only R3E officially supports it. You do notice how much smoother the CSL Elite is, they are very closely matched so far.

I can see where you're coming from, to me that sounds more like wheel weight. You like a wheel that feels loose and communicates the road detail, where as the comparatively grindy nature of the T500 system may feel heavier. The TSPC wheel is definitely smoother and impressions so far are excellent, but I won't review it till I've got it working on more games, right now only R3E officially supports it. You do notice how much smoother the CSL Elite is, they are very closely matched so far.

That's weird. John Sabol from ISR reviewed the CSL Elite and said that (aside from not clever placed mounting holes) it is better in build quality and deliver stronger forces, but the T300 is smoother and that's why he personally would prefer it over the overall better CSL Elite. In the TS-PC review he then said that the wheel is as smooth as a T300 and about as strong as the T500.

In theory, the reason why the T500 is not "smooth" is because it still uses a motor with brushes. All the newer wheels (Thrustmaster T300/TX, Fanatec wheels) use brushless motors, but depending on how many slots the motor has and for how much nominal power it's built, a brushless motor can still feel heavy/unsmooth. You would want a small motor for smoothness, but a big motor for power. If you want both, you need to send more current through your smaller motor without overheating the coils, that's where cooling might become important.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to your review and seeing the TS-PC tested with more sims and different cars.

VVV Mars VG

Those are good points, there is always refinement but I prefer not to compare specs. For me specs are all well and good but the proof is always in the puddling. Whatever the cost of the wheel, how does it feel? That can be very subjective depending on the games you play, the cars you drive and the level of FFB you use. I wish I could have a 3 rigs with all the wheels set up with the same game, but alas that's not possible, so I try to garner what I can from any given experience. Suffice to say the FFB on R3E with TSPC has been excellent, in contrast I found the Fanatec tricky to dial in. Again I'll test as much as I can and break it down but I'll reiterate first impressions were excellent, with either of these wheels you just can't go wrong. My difference of opinion comes with pedals, I'm on my own when I say I'm much more comfortable with T500 pedals than the CSL Elite pedals.

Those are good points, there is always refinement but I prefer not to compare specs. For me specs are all well and good but the proof is always in the puddling. Whatever the cost of the wheel, how does it feel? That can be very subjective depending on the games you play, the cars you drive and the level of FFB you use.
I'm weird and love data analysis and mathematical modeling, but I agree 100%. A good description how it feels with a certain game/track/car combination is much more important than specs or some WheelCheck.exe data.

paskowitz

The best thing I can say about the Fanatec CSW v2 is it feels like the Toyota/Subaru GT86/BRZ steering (IRL). Its got this smooth, natural responsiveness but not necessarily brute force or even granularity.

My biggest gripes are it still has a small amount of on center play (only direct drive wheels don't have this), you have to enable drift mode if you want the wheel to spin quickly... but this changes its characteristics to be undesirable for many situations, the quick release has play unless you screw in the included bolt... thus not making it a quick release and the damn I/O is impossible to get to once the base is mounted. I guess it could be $100 cheaper as well (it was cheaper in the past but they raised the price).

mrsmr2

I quite enjoyed it.

A shame they didn't spend as much on the track conversion and testing it all worked as they did on the event presentation - which was very good.

Ocho

Looking to buy those Fanatec pedals, but I noticed they have some extra kits. Should I get those as well?

I'm looking to go full Fanatec probably by next month (v2 servo/formula carbon steering wheel/still not sure which round wheel rim is the best to get, any recs?).

paskowitz

Looking to buy those Fanatec pedals, but I noticed they have some extra kits. Should I get those as well?

I'm looking to go full Fanatec probably by next month (v2 servo/formula carbon steering wheel/still not sure which round wheel rim is the best to get, any recs?).

Make sure to get 1 dampener for the brake pedal. IMO the V3s really needs it. PU foam upgrade might be worth it as well.

In terms of rims, the best rim is by far the Porsche rim. It is sooooo nice. Like, if you have the money and don't get that... man. PC only though. I would get that and the normal black formula rim. If you want xb1 support, you have to get the hub.

Makikou

Make sure to get 1 dampener for the brake pedal. IMO the V3s really needs it. PU foam upgrade might be worth it as well.

In terms of rims, the best rim is by far the Porsche rim. It is sooooo nice. Like, if you have the money and don't get that... man. PC only though. I would get that and the normal black formula rim. If you want xb1 support, you have to get the hub.

I think the Brake Performance kit makes the damper useless. Especially for the price difference. IIRC ISRTV said so aswell.

Makikou

Wow Stefano.

lvzbakshd72xtry0oqcf.jpg

It's annoying that they've back weighted the price of the hub now, and are nearly giving their rims away. I think I paid $169 for my non-xbox hub, and put a Sparco P310 on it. I'd never do that now with the only hub choice being $299.

VVV Mars VG

I'm assuming you were getting the spotter call 'car on your left' and with him being slightly ahead and covering the apex there's nowhere to go, he's got track position so in this case you were the car at fault. Its' always marginal heat of the moment type stuff but with iRacing, better to err on the side of caution.

Yeah, you turned into him pretty badly. He was so far in front of you that you should've just ceded the position and slowed down a bit so you could take a normal racing line.

Shaneus

Stefano..Ian Bell..What's with racing sim devs being arrogant dicks?
Yeah, this kind of sucks to hear. I'm pretty sure Niels works on similar principles to that guy (working out how the cars feel first, then understanding the numbers) so I don't know why Stefano was so defensive.

Plus he is Italian :p

That's not an excuse and also stereotype-thinking, but... yea my brother had an Italian art-student girlfriend when I was a teenager. She definitely could throw and break things when she was jealous (or rather in the mood to be jealous). I remember, one time she ruined a painting, that she wasn't happy with, and parts of the floor with tons of red paint, saying something with "sangue"(blood). She also was extremely beautiful and talented. I don't think she could have painted the way she did, had she had a more easy going temper. It's also probably no coincidence that the word "diva" is Italian.

Ian Bell's outbreaks on the other hand make me think more of words like "testosterone" and "bully". Still, I'd have zero problems buying a pCARS 2 day1, if I liked the demo (that SMS will hopefully put out before release).

Dave_6

Well I mean I was joking anyways. We know how Stefano can be but he let that guy get to him. He could have handled it differently but it's not going to keep me from playing and supporting AC. We all know how toxic the sim racing community can be and his outburst is just another example of it.

DD

That's not an excuse and also stereotype-thinking, but... yea my brother had an Italian art-student girlfriend when I was a teenager. She definitely could throw and break things when she was jealous (or rather in the mood to be jealous). I remember, one time she ruined a painting, that she wasn't happy with, and parts of the floor with tons of red paint, saying something with "sangue"(blood). She also was extremely beautiful and talented. I don't think she could have painted the way she did, had she had a more easy going temper. It's also probably no coincidence that the word "diva" is Italian.

Ian Bell's outbreaks on the other hand make me think more of words like "testosterone" and "bully". Still, I'd have zero problems buying a pCARS 2 day1, if I liked the demo (that SMS will hopefully put out before release).

I'm half Italian genes and my father's family (specially himself) is annoying as fuck, hahaha!

mrsmr2

Amazed by Stefano's response (and in the reddit thread).

Of all the crap posted by 'experts' with 'factual knowledge' gleamed from watching youtube videos, he's goes off on one against someone who very probably does know what he is talking about.

Stefano seems to be completely fixated on the maths. And fails (repeatedly) to understand why the poster was suggesting changing one value to an unrealistic number. It was simply to illustrate a point but Stefano is "no, you can't do that so you are talking complete rubbish".

I'm disappointed I bought a load of their dlc recently.

Ocho

So what's the science behind "heel toeing" (I believe that is what it's called), when people push brake and gas with their right feet at the same time they clutch? Stability?

So what's the science behind "heel toeing" (I believe that is what it's called), when people push brake and gas with their right feet at the same time they clutch? Stability?

Being able to revmatch as you downshift, blipping the throttle with your heel whilst you brake with your toes

Patrick S.

Banned

If you are going at high speed and have to press the clutch pedal and let the revs fall to idle speed, when you let go of the clutch the engine that is now at low revs will act as a brake until the engine speed has risen again to match the faster speed the transmission that is connected to the wheels is turning at. This will slow down and potentially unsettle the car.

I'm not a pro, but that's how I understand it.

Mascot

Fuck me, those Stefano posts were worse than Trump's Twitter account.

I'll never understand why people with high profiles have public meltdowns like this. It exposes a serious character flaw, that's for sure.

Top Bottom