• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I cannot for the life of me get round T1 consistently at Brans Hatch.

Same here. I must admit that Project CARS is the only game the track is in that I have (save the mod for Assetto, but I havent downloaded that).

For me it's absolutely impossible to find the correct braking point and not go too fast through the turn and ending up in the gravel.

Patrick S.

Banned
That looks so good.

Heh, I had never heard about that circuit before, but decided to try it out in Assetto the other day when I was checking out mods like the aforementioned Brands Hatch. The circuit is a bit tricky, but I really like the layout and I'm sure I'll do quite a few laps on it.

AxeMan

Need a suggestion for a racing wheel.

Don't waste my time with anything less than a g27?

I just bought a Thrustmaster T500.
I haven't had a chance to use it yet but the weight and feel of it makes it proper manual shifter) I had.

Pedals feel infinitely better to push as well

TJP

Latest version of Sim Racer mag is free at the moment:
http://issuu.com/ebconpublishing/docs/simrace-issue06

Please let me know what you think.
It was a solid read with quite a few very good articles :)

Reading the reviews section, it was clear by the third paragraphy pCARS left quite an impression on the reviewer and the length of the article indicated this. In contrast, by the end of the first column of text, I knew SCE didn't really get the reviewer overly excited - apart from the Opala and a few of the low aero cars. Good to see no review scores - one must read the text (and in between the lines) to understand what the reviewer actually thinks of the software. As an aside, I would like to see a mention of how each of the sim being reviewed was obtained - e.g. own expense or a review code. The same would extend to hardware reviews too. Given we can 'buy into' many of these sims (e.g. pCARS public funding, Reiza's public funding drive, AC's and Dirt Rally's Early Access), I'd like to read how the reviewer obtained the software.

On a personal level, the lack of R3E in the 'Best Sim' category left me a little disappointed; R3E is a part of the 'game' category. Simraceway gets a nod in the physics category and R3E doesn't. Oh well..

Shaneus

Looks promising, reminds me a bit of Rallisport Challenge for some reason. Hard to tell from a vid but I like the way the car is moving - something I couldn't say about the first footage of Loeb...
Yeah, you know... I think you're right (about RSC).

Is there a way we can download that mag? Be easier for me than trying to read it in a browser while on the go :)

It was a solid read with quite a few very good articles :)

Reading the reviews section, it was clear by the third paragraphy pCARS left quite an impression on the reviewer and the length of the article indicated this. In contrast, by the end of the first column of text, I knew SCE didn't really get the reviewer overly excited - apart from the Opala and a few of the low aero cars. Good to see no review scores - one must read the text (and in between the lines) to understand what the reviewer actually thinks of the software. As an aside, I would like to see a mention of how each of the sim being reviewed was obtained - e.g. own expense or a review code. The same would extend to hardware reviews too. Given we can 'buy into' many of these sims (e.g. pCARS public funding, Reiza's public funding drive, AC's and Dirt Rally's Early Access), I'd like to read how the reviewer obtained the software.

On a personal level, the lack of R3E in the 'Best Sim' category left me a little disappointed; R3E is a part of the 'game' category. Simraceway gets a nod in the physics category and R3E doesn't. Oh well..
Thanks for your points TJP. Interesting idea about including how the reviewer obtained the product. It's not something that the mainstream gaming press would normally do; stating the version tested is about as far as they go. Not sure where I'd draw the line in some cases. I've bought a lot of content for iRacing over the years, but also I was given access to more content for the purposes of certain articles. I own a bunch of content for R3E, but was also given Steam codes for the DTM pack for instance. I bought a T500, but was given the Leather 28 rim. In some cases this would be explained within the article itself, but it's hard to remain consistent about that kind of thing - and more difficult when other writers are involved too. Perhaps that would be more suitable as a feature for 'reader reviews', if we ever did such a thing.

As for the 'Awards' section, you're absolutely right. The idea was introduced before I was fully involved, and the category lists were very confusing. I adjusted the entries as much as I dared, but some of it still doesn't really make sense. I would rather not have this section in the magazine at all!

Yeah, you know... I think you're right (about RSC).

Is there a way we can download that mag? Be easier for me than trying to read it in a browser while on the go :)
Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to download it (unless you buy it on iOS Newsstand or via pocketmags.com)!

Jamesways

Hello ;) The number of circuit variations is around 165 from memory; the testers got to vote for their favourite layouts.

It's such a shame it's only appeared in just a handful of video games, great track.

Man, I'd love to recreate some Blancpain Endurance racing on there!

It looks great in R3E. Hope its in AC on the ps4 release, I'm jealous of you PC guys.

WRC5, think they'll be a cockpit view? If that's that video shows the default views, probably not.

Jesus, they've really opened the floodgates!

Both 2.0 and 3.5 will fit right in. I love the Taatus in AC, and I think the 2.0l is just about the same car. It's got about 50hp less than a Star Mazda if I've found accurate info.

markao

Formula Renault 2.0 and Formula Renault 3.5 coming to iRacing.

http://www.iracing.com/iracingnews/...-renault-single-seaters-to-online-racing-game

Yey! Never got on with the Star Mazda, hopefully the 2.0 makes a nice alternative.
Great additions,

would love to see the top guys drive something different than their current F1 championships (highest tiers). Do understand that you try to mimic RL, but in the virtual world using some more exiting (lesser down-force) cars would be at least as exiting to watch.

Great additions,

would love to see the top guys drive something different than their current F1 championships (highest tiers). Do understand that you try to mimic RL, but in the virtual world using some more exiting (lesser down-force) cars would be at least as exiting to watch.
Huttu on Twitter was very excited by the 3.5! :)

Great additions,

Yeah, I'm with you 100% on that, especially since it's not a very good sim car. Give us the equivalent of a M1 Procar/Merc 190E race, please!

Watevaman

Man, I really need to learn how to edit videos properly. I have so many ideas for some videos with racing sims set to some killer music I got, but I have to learn how to do what I want first.

AxeMan

I just fired up iracing for the first time in a couple of years and I need a lot of practice
Forgot how unforgiving it is

Makikou

Really looking forward to driving the FR 2.0 car. Really could become my go-to single seater since i dont like those hyper-fast cars too much but would like a slightly faster version of the Skip. (and SM isnt my thing)

TJP

It looks great in R3E. Hope its in AC on the ps4 release, I'm jealous of you PC guys.
The plan was to have marbles build over time but these were removed for frame rate reasons. The track artist does a sublime job with the reference photos etc. I hope the laser scanned Nurburgring and Spa (not scanned) comes out soon.

Assetto Corsa is getting Brands Hatch..more tracks is exactly what is needed along with AI updates. I've been reading Stefano's Tweets and he appears to have a solution to some of the AI's woes.

TJP

Thanks for your points TJP. Interesting idea about including how the reviewer obtained the product. It's not something that the mainstream gaming press would normally do; stating the version tested is about as far as they go. Not sure where I'd draw the line in some cases. I've bought a lot of content for iRacing over the years, but also I was given access to more content for the purposes of certain articles. I own a bunch of content for R3E, but was also given Steam codes for the DTM pack for instance. I bought a T500, but was given the Leather 28 rim.
I've seen some publications and YT reviewers such as Jim Stirling state where their game copies have come from. It's nice to see a bit of disclosure from the reviewers.

I like the magazine; I've read it twice now and I really like the format and articles.

Zeth

Paul Ricard track mod for AC is indeed fantastic. Definitely top tier among AC mod tracks. Can't wait to check it out in RaceRoom.

Went in at the $100 tier for Reiza yesterday - time for some Formula Classic tonight I think.

AxeMan

Does anyone know how to adjust the driver history chart in iracing?

I've haven't raced sinced 2012 but I've re-activated my account and have done a few races over the course of a couple of days and the 'irating' graph is only displaying 2012 details.

Does anyone know how to adjust the driver history chart in iracing?

I've haven't raced sinced 2012 but I've re-activated my account and have done a few races over the course of a couple of days and the 'irating' graph is only displaying 2012 details.
I think it can take a few days for the chart to move - I believe it updates on a timer rather than reacting immediately after you race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qBp6iFBCw&feature=youtu.be

Congratulations for Greger Huttu for his 50th win in the iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series.

This guy is an absolute legend.

It's hardly believable that he's still at the top of sim racing after all these years. With the sheer number of additional people who have raced sims over the past 20 years, you'd think surely there would have been some 15 year old prodigy to dethrone him. Nope, still the best.

Top Bottom