• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

trillbo

I'm all over this tonight. What steering angle and wheel rotation do you use?

I use 450 degrees on my wheel, keep the Vee steering angle at default. I also bump the gear ratio down one notch, and set brake pressure to 70%. Using a T500rs with modded load cell though, so brake pressure might be different for you.

I'd love to do some online Vee action, but never see it being used! Would there be any interest here?

_machine

There's an update on Reiza's Simracing Bonanza crowdfunding page confirming the Mitsubishi Lancer Cup, the Lancer Evo Rallycross besides the previously confirmed Super V8s, and three new tracks: Montreal Modern, Vello Cittá and Foz dirt track, and a few more updates.
Fantastic, the Lancer Evo Rallycross was probably the most exciting thing of the campaign for me, though the tracks are really great too as I don't think I've ever driven any of them.

Zeth

I use 450 degrees on my wheel, keep the Vee steering angle at default. I also bump the gear ratio down one notch, and set brake pressure to 70%. Using a T500rs with modded load cell though, so brake pressure might be different for you.

I'd love to do some online Vee action, but never see it being used! Would there be any interest here?

I prefer the Skippy, but this is one of the great sim cars. I use 540/22 like most of the SCE stuff.

Yes! But I'm not sure there are enough chaps here who have the sim...

Wow - this thing takes some serious precision/balance to be fast I can tell fairly quickly.

At first I thought it wasn't going to make it up the hill on the main straight, haha. Very fun - yet another sim car I need to spend more time with. I used ~460/~20 which is what I use for most of the Reiza open-wheelers. At Taruma it could do with less steering angle probably, but I'm still losing the rear regularly.

Whoa, 1.37 beta with Super V8s and Modern Montreal is coming this week for backers. Awesome.

I can't get enough of the Formula Vee at Taruma in Stock Car Extreme. Racing it every day, and even dreaming about it at night. This video got me into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEzZhLdjf2I

Also, that FOV!

The F-Vee is a hall of fame sim car in my opinion. It's an absolute riot to drive.

I started putting together a list of my favorite sim cars for a post. Need to finish that. It's not as easy as it sounds!

Yeah, Remco has an incredible setup. Not only does he have the crazy to-scale screen, but he also made a replica Tyrell six wheeler cockpit for it. Dude is a nutter.Here's a thread about it.

Yes! But I'm not sure there are enough chaps here who have the sim...

Count me in. I'd take a F-Vee time trial in the meantime however :)

Reiza's indiegogo said:
if we hit 70%:
Cars: Formula V10, Supertrucks;
Tracks: Additional & longer Foz layouts, Supertruck layouts for existing tracks;
Features / Improvements: New UI & HUD system, drivetrain physics development to demand more realistic gear-shifting

if we hit 80%:
Cars: Copa Montana, Renault Fluence (Marcas);
Tracks: Interlagos update to 2015 version;
Features / Improvements: VR support (including Rift DK2); tire damage & dirt pickup; dynamic track conditions (rubber build up on the racing line & marbles offline based on vehicle interaction)

Yeah, Remco has an incredible setup. Not only does he have the crazy to-scale screen, but he also made a replica Tyrell six wheeler cockpit for it. Dude is a nutter.Here's a thread about it.
giphy.gif

Makikou

Alright something's up with my internet connection.

Trying to watch a race on iRacing and it loads in, i get some cars but everything is VERY slow-motion and the sounds are just all wonky until in a few seconds everything just disappears.
This usually only happens during evening time (19-22:00 GMT +3)

I have ran a pingplotter to one of the servers in iRacing's US server farm.

Pretty sure this is quite unacceptable:

_machine

You're on 3/4G? I'd recommend checking it on the official forums, I know that it can at times cause is issues with some servers software, especially proprietary gaming software so it could be an issue on their end. Though you never know with a mobile connection; mine simply isn't very suited for gaming as I get regular latency spikes even though I still do play online every now and then.

Makikou

You're on 3/4G? I'd recommend checking it on the official forums, I know that it can at times cause is issues with some servers software, especially proprietary gaming software so it could be an issue on their end. Though you never know with a mobile connection; mine simply isn't very suited for gaming as I get regular latency spikes even though I still do play online every now and then.

I'm on 4G, it has been pretty flawless since last Autumn when i got it (it's a lot faster and cheaper than ADSL around here) but in the last 2-3 weeks it's been getting a lot worse.

_machine

I'm on 4G, it has been pretty flawless since last Autumn when i got it (it's a lot faster and cheaper than ADSL around here) but in the last 2-3 weeks it's been getting a lot worse.
Yeah same for me, though I'm situated in a student-heavy area where the network is really at it's limit. It could be more traffic in your area or just some regular downtimes and mainentance.

hitgirl

Do racing wheel stands get posted up on ebay often? I want a simple one, but I see they are still about $179. Maybe I can swoop in and steal someones failed race life dreams.

TJP

There has been a massive to-do on the Assetto Corsa forums regarding a non-laser scanned version of Zandvoort. Here is one response from Stefano ;)

The actual response of note is from Aris:
Hello everybody, wow what a thread.
I'll be honest I didn't had the time to read it all from start today. So please forgive me if I have missed any important posts from specific people, that might need a specific answer.

So Zandvoort is not laser scanned. Why? Is this going to be the end of laser scanned tracks for AC? Why we didn't tell you from the beginning?

I'll answer all this one by one. The answers are more straightforward than you might think and there are no side secrets. Here we go.

Why?

It's a simple experiment. The track is made by a modder with GPS and CAD data, although it was never released in public. Simone obviously made the necessary improvements and we tried to bring the track up to par, but without losing too much development time. Thus the release is free.

As I said it is an experiment. We want to see your reaction, we want to see if it's a yes or no. If the community thinks that a non laser scanned circuit made by modders is a good thing to have, then we might contact more modders and ask the license from the respective real tracks owners. Tracks like Donington or Paul Ricard could be great examples... but we'll see.

If you guys do not appreciate it, then the experiment is a failure and we won't waste more time with things like that. So thank you for voicing your opinion on this.

Is this going to be the end of laser scanned tracks for AC?
You should already know the answer to this. Barcelona is being totally laser scanned and in various configurations. Simone is hard at work on this amazing track and I can assure you the result is impressive!

Brands Hatch has been just laser scanned and boy what a track it is, I can't wait to drive it in AC. More will follow.

Why we didn't tell you from the beginning?
Why? Good question. Guilty as charged. We said from the beginning we need to communicate this as fast as possible and then one thing brings another, simple things like "don't talk about that now, console announcement is more important, E3 is more important, wait Brands Hatch is happening now..." and things like that. We didn't find the window and... well what can I say, we should have told you before, I'm sincerely sorry we didn't.

Ok ok ok but again, why offer something as official content when everybody can get it from free from a modder? What's the point? Why go to all this trouble?
I have the answer to this and it is much more simple than you think. AC has sold hundreds of thousands of copies and we are so grateful for this. While mods are very popular, in the "community" their download numbers are way too low in comparison to the total user base of AC. So buying a modder content and offering it as an official licensed content of AC is a win win situation for everybody.

• We get an extra content to convince more people to buy AC.
  • Modder gets his work recognised and paid.
  • Licensor gets his fair share for the content
  • Thousands of people get a new content that would have never try before, especially for the future console users.

So always remember, the AC user base, which is what brings future to AC for us and for all of you as the project is alive and healthy, is much much bigger than the hundred-ish people that are constantly active in this forum. It's a much bigger world than what you think. Something that you feel is easy to get, is not so easy for the vast majority.

Hope all of the above makes the situation more clear, again sorry for not writing all of this some weeks ago. I hope you all looking forward to the bonus pack which as usual will be everything discussed and then some more! Multi, AI, contents... everything updated and improved. Step by step we make AC better and better. Thank you all for your support and feedback.
I'm always amazed at the over reaction some in the sim community have to announcements that are perceived as detremental.

Empty Box - Stock Car Extreme/Formula Truck Giveaway & Simracing Bonanza Update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Umeyo9fWUg

So far, the public funding is at 65% of the goal - $50,404 USD raised by 727 people in 25 days ;)

As usual, one can read about it here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reiza-simracing-bonanza#/story

Since they released update 8 the contribution rate has increased dramatically. It was getting stagnant for a while. Kinda wish they had released an update as detailed as that a few days ago.

Really hope they reach at least 80% so we can get the dynamic track conditions, tire damage and pickup.

TJP

I tried, doesn't work :(

I'm very grateful for your help, but I'm going to give up on this for now.

Will try after Windows 10 is out officially, or after a new nvida driver comes out or Simbin puts out an update.
SimBin is dead but Sector 3 has an update and will push out a new update for R3E in Win10 versy soon ;)

Ya'll done gud. Real gud.

OdLjrg6.jpg
urkftrv.gif

This thing is going awfully quickly now as it enters the last few days. I think it jumped like 10% in the last 12 hours.

Reiza mentioned dedicated servers as part of their crowdfund, but guess what? They're already live and sounding pretty great. They're being run by Race Department. Dedis on a schedule is the kind of thing GSC really needed. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

News link
Thread link

Race Schedule

Race Department said:
Reiza Studios has announced a new community orientated project to provide open access servers for it's titles Stock Car Extreme and Formula Truck 2013 in an effort to provide a readily accessible and fun environment for the community to race in.

The five servers provided, group the content into common themes and will run on a fixed schedule, rotating through the entire car selection database of the games. Each server will run a single circuit per day and feature up to three car classes which change at fixed times of 10:00GMT, 18:00GMT, 02:00GMT. A full schedule of what will be running is available here with new content being added as it is released.

Server 1 - Touring / Tintop
Stock Car V8
Marcas
MetalMoro
Camaro SS
Mini Challenge
​
Server 2 - Formula / Open-Wheel
Formula Vee
Formula Reiza
Formula 3
Formula Extreme
​
Server 3 - Historic
Opala Stock Car
Formula Retro
Formula Classic
Formula V12
​
Server 4 - Karts
125cc Karts
Superkart
​
Server 5 - Formula Truck​

The servers will be regularly supervised by both Reiza and RaceDepartment staff who the studio have engaged with to help make the project a success.

While labelled as 'experimental' by Reiza, the project if successful looks likely to be expanded in the future with additional features and infrastructure if participation warrants. Leader-boards, competitions and prize give-aways are amongst a list of possible offerings touted in the official announcement. Data from the servers including race results and best laps are already being recorded in anticipation of this.

With this announcement, in addition to engine and content updates to be funded by the ongoing Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, Reiza are clearly stepping up to the plate in an effort to ensure their users can really get the most from their purchase of Stock Car Extreme and Formula Truck 2013.

_machine

I think it's definitely looking good, I see no reason why it should be exempt from the general progression of crowdfunding and not receive a major boost in the end, though I think it'll be there and there, probably right about their original goal.

Shaneus

Great news for Reiza and the community at large. Currently funding sits at 76% with 4 days left - 80% is likely ;-)

Anyone fluent in Portuguese? Reiza posted an interview with Rubens Barrichello, alas there are no English subtitles as yet..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCDsT-9MbxQ
Yeah, I was hoping for a translation. Also asked on Twitter if he mentioned the croudfunding campaign at all. Going from the 10% jump overnight, I guess he did?

TJP

Betta, your video was great, but yo, this one has a shot of pillows in it. Bring pillows next time or unsubbed. K?
Not the old ISR pillows but pillows on a bed..perhaps Betta can do a video reclined on a bed with his wheel out.

Rubens Barrichello always comes across as a great guy. He clearly loves sim racing and the league he's a part of.

DD

Wait, there are Porches on GSCE?! Or are these mods?

Anyway, it's just an very amateurish interview from the guys that run a Brazilian virtual league that apparently Rubens takes part along some other Brazilian professional drivers such as the Formula Truck champion Beto Monteiro and other Stock Car and Marcas drivers. I believe that even Massa had some fun with these guys sometime ago. Apparently the Stock Car drivers have have their own virtual league along with the real thing.

Anyway, about the interview, he's asked about how does it compare with the real thing, and he says that today the simulator is not just a game anymore. He has his own cockpit at home and says that the level of realism is very high and it really helps, specially for boys like Dudu, his oldest son, who's learning a lot at the simulator and putting what he learns on the track and beating his own times with it.

Rubens even goes on about a day when he got at home and Dudu was using his cockpit, and then on the next day he got home again and there was Dudu playing on the sim, and when he asked for him to leave because he had a race and needed to train, Dudu didn't liked, so Rubens had to buy a second cockpit for his son. Then, the other day, for his surprise, there was Fefe, his younger son using his setup, so now he has a third one.

He also says something about the weight of the wheel and grip levels that I'm not getting exactly what he means (probably something about FFB), and says that this helps so much that Dudu is gaining a lot of time on the real life kart track.

Then he's asked about the new Super V8s and he says that this kind of car is one of the best to show the "reality of the real thing", says something about door-to-door action, streamlines, and that his expectation is to have fun above everything else because that's how he lives his life, with a smile on his face all the time to move on.

TJP

R3E news:

We are happy to spread some joy during the upcoming vacation time with 4 Weeks of summer sale in RaceRoom! Each week we will celebrate summer with multiple packs being additionally discounted at 25%.

We will kick the Summer Sale off this weekend at Friday 18.00 CEST with 4 packs on sale AND an "All you can drive for free" weekend that will run until Sunday 23.59 CEST.

The RaceRoom Store will be open during the free weekend as the Discounts are already active.

So head over to RaceRoom, sign-up if you don't have an account already and see all of you online during the Summer Sale Free weekend kick off!

Don't forget that if you want to take full advantage of the summer sale to get your vRP pack in the RaceRoom vRP store. Here you can buy redeem codes that you can you can redeem directly in the store to top off your vRP's!

Shaneus

Anyway, it's just an very amateurish interview from the guys that run a Brazilian virtual league that apparently Rubens takes part along some other Brazilian professional drivers such as the Formula Truck champion Beto Monteiro and other Stock Car and Marcas drivers. I believe that even Massa had some fun with these guys sometime ago. Apparently the Stock Car drivers have have their own virtual league along with the real thing.

Anyway, about the interview, he's asked about how does it compare with the real thing, and he says that today the simulator is not just a game anymore. He has his own cockpit at home and says that the level of realism is very high and it really helps, specially for boys like Dudu, his oldest son, who's learning a lot at the simulator and putting what he learns on the track and beating his own times with it.

Rubens even goes on about a day when he got at home and Dudu was using his cockpit, and then on the next day he got home again and there was Dudu playing on the sim, and when he asked for him to leave because he had a race and needed to train, Dudu didn't liked, so Rubens had to buy a second cockpit for his son. Then, the other day, for his surprise, there was Fefe, his younger son using his setup, so now he has a third one.

He also says something about the weight of the wheel and grip levels that I'm not getting exactly what he means (probably something about FFB), and says that this helps so much that Dudu is gaining a lot of time on the real life kart track.

Then he's asked about the new Super V8s and he says that this kind of car is one of the best to show the "reality of the real thing", says something about door-to-door action, streamlines, and that his expectation is to have fun above everything else because that's how he lives his life, with a smile on his face all the time to move on.
Great summary, thanks a heap!

Hmm... anyone having problems launching GSCE?

All I'm getting is a black screen loading it from Steam. Never had this problem before. I haven't had any gfx driver updates or anything I can think of that can explain it. Checking the integrity of the game cache yields no errors too. :/

Edit: It's working now, however there is at least a 30 second period where I just get a black screen before it starts.

Zeth

There are at least three great Porsche mods. Carrera Cup (my favorite), 911 RSR (997) GT3 Cup, and the 1974 911 Cup RSR 3.0L.

http://www.racedepartment.com/search/1610026/?q=porsche&t=resource_update&o=relevance&c[rescat]=82

Hmm... anyone having problems launching GSCE?

All I'm getting is a black screen loading it from Steam. Never had this problem before. I haven't had any gfx driver updates or anything I can think of that can explain it. Checking the integrity of the game cache yields no errors too. :/

Edit: It's working now, however there is at least a 30 second period where I just get a black screen before it starts.

I occasionally get a flashing colored screen at launch which might be driver or resolution/refresh related. Launching the config tool before the game seems to solve it consistently.

I occasionally get a flashing colored screen at launch which might be driver or resolution/refresh related. Launching the config tool before the game seems to solve it consistently.

Just tried that, still have the same issue. I also do that after every driver update since the settings get reset back to defaults.

Shaneus

They cracked $60k:
3MmfWon.png

I haven't even put mine in yet (likely going for the $75 tier). No idea where this push came from, but 80% is at least looking like a lock. I'd even say they'd come close to hitting 100%.

Makikou

So i went triple screens yesterday. Drove about 3 hours of Spa in iRacing without noticing. I will never want to go back to single now. Just mindblowing experience.

TJP

Talk and Drive 17A: Reiza Super V8 at Bathurst :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOq-LJcbkM
Bathurst is coming to SCE :)

Talk and Drive 17B: SimSteering ~26Nm (19lbft) torque torture!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVLr7hhs9A

80% funding has just occured ;)
zDAAYxX.png

With 4 days left, can Reiza crack 90%?

Edit #2 - the following is from Race Department and shows the income increase since the extra info and a few videos, most notably the not-V8 Supercars:
Reference: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...ve-now-ask-your-questions-here.107775/page-37

Atrophis

Wow what a big increase since I last checked. I'll back before it ends (get paid tomorrow) but not sure what tier yet.

So glad we are getting VR for my favourite sim. Will be a lot easier to run it in VR too considering its much less graphically demanding than AC or PCars.

Dave_6

Anyone else have the flickering shadows issue in SCE? I have it every time I play it, after ~15 mins or so of playing. I've seen others in the Steam community having it and it doesn't seem to have been fixed yet.

Top Bottom