• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I've tried the settings suggested in these but they don't help. I'm looking for a kind of input smoothing like the one in pCARS/GTR Evo games. On rFactor engine games I can go from left lock to right lock instantly, making the car unstable, whereas on the other games they have smoothened input to accommodate the lack of range in analogs.

DD

I've tried the settings suggested in these but they don't help. I'm looking for a kind of input smoothing like the one in pCARS/GTR Evo games. On rFactor engine games I can go from left lock to right lock instantly, making the car unstable, whereas on the other games they have smoothened input to accommodate the lack of range in analogs.

Try deactivating the steering wheel also. It's distracting as fuck. :p

Hmm, Mills has a white line between the curb and circuit, these are yellow. So they've either updated the colour for an unknown reason or we've a new track on the way :)
Well shut my mouth, it IS Mills. I guess they had to update the line colour for an unknown reason.

Br1bG77.jpg

Makikou

Anyone got any advice for getting off a slump?

I really feel like i am approaching the rockbottom very fast in my simracing success. Just constantly bad races and decisions i make in iRacing. Either i drive like a numpty just trying to keep it on track (i can do full-race-simulation in a practice session and my tires feel good all the way) or ruin someone else's race by hesitation or something equally idiotic.

My speed is about 1-2s off-pace from where i SHOULD be and it's just getting me. I feel like my self-confidence has been torn apart.

Patrick S.

Banned

I really feel like i am approaching the rockbottom very fast in my simracing success. Just constantly bad races and decisions i make in iRacing. Either i drive like a numpty just trying to keep it on track (i can do full-race-simulation in a practice session and my tires feel good all the way) or ruin someone else's race by hesitation or something equally idiotic.

My speed is about 1-2s off-pace from where i SHOULD be and it's just getting me. I feel like my self-confidence has been torn apart.

1-2 seconds is nothing :) When the guys here were doing hotlap challenges in pCARS, I was like 15 seconds slower than the fastest guys there :)

Couple things:

The weather differences between practices and races can make a big difference on lap times and tire wear. The best way to overcome that is to make your own test session and copy the exact atmospheric conditions that the official race uses. Practice in that.

Unless....

You're driving in one of the series that uses the new dynamic weather conditions in which it's not made public prior to the race. This element of the unknown is going to be compounded later in the year with dynamic surfaces. It's all done to make you drive to the limit of the track for that uniquely specific race.

That's the track, but your race pace should be pegged down a half notch too, although this is different for everyone. The best racers are able to close that gap down to nothing. It takes a high level of comfort though. You need to find your own comfort level, so you can relax when driving. You're better off driving that 1-2 off your practice pace, finishing the races without incident, and then building speed on top of that. Just live with less than ideal results for a bit.

Perhaps change series for a bit. Race something that is less frustrating to you at the moment. The MX5s or SRFs make for a nice change of scenery. Go find some fun.

Go find some fun.
Indeed. I would also recommend the SRF. It's a friendly, courteous series, and it's one of the most enjoyable cars to drive on iRacing, imo. As for confidence, just take it easy for a while, but maintain 100% concentration. It's an unusual combination - intense concentration + a relaxed mindset, but I think it's very important. If you drive too relaxed, you'll make even more mistakes and it'll dent your confidence further.

Alternatively just step away from competitive racing for a while and just muck about. My fun is currently found drifting the kart tracks in SCE in the Camaro, for example. :)

Makikou

Cheers for your responses Big & Betta.

Big:
Yeah, it's BSS/BES so it has dynamic weather. It's just so.. weird for me in a race. In practice when i do a full-race-stint, as in Full -> empty -> pit, no tires 30l fuel (for spa) -> drive for about 10 minutes more, i can usually keep it on the track and i dont find myself sliding around too much.

Now i try to do that in an official race and it's like everything has changed. I guess this is a sub-conscious thing where i am tense, excited and trying to push it even though i think i am not pushing it

You know, i think i might give SRF a go. Maybe it's just a thing where i am so excited and tensed up and anxious that i ruin my driving by that so maybe a slower car for awhile would help with that.

TJP

Reiza managed to get 124% of their original goal of $78K. Will be interested to see how the additions progress and the community interaction/involvement.

Zeth

Given the success of the campaign in hitting its target and the ongoing demand from people willing to participate, Indiegogo has offered us the option to continue running it InDemand - that means people willing to participate, or upgrade their contribution level will still be able to do so for an undetermined period of time.

Nice!

The SRF really is a great sim car. Watch some of this guy's real life SRF videos to get yourself pumped up!

That was awesome. I was totally transfixed for 20 minutes. And the captions were fun, lol.

Shaneus

Reiza Simracing Bonanza - $80,210USD 103% funded 52 hours left :cool:
Their total amount was insane. I wasn't sure they were going to make it at all but then they get to almost $100k... crazy! Very happy for the guys.

Is it possible to play emulated arcade driving games on PC with FFB? Like Daytona USA etc?
Figured you guys might know
From memory (it's been a while) M2 has support for FFB and is supposedly pretty good. I've never had it working myself, but I don't think it's too difficult. Sorry I can't be less vague :/

I don't know how Codemasters can make a sublime release in Dirt Rally, then pump out shite like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwyscF6Zv5g

Alan seldom has a bad word to say about any release, so hearing him talk about F1 2015 in such negative terms says it all about the state of the game on PC.

Two different divisions, AFAIK. From what I've heard, the F1 division is basically bled dry from the licencing so that they don't really have the resources to make the games better, so they're kinda stuck in a vicious cycle of churning out crap or being shut down.

TJP

Two different divisions, AFAIK. From what I've heard, the F1 division is basically bled dry from the licencing so that they don't really have the resources to make the games better, so they're kinda stuck in a vicious cycle of churning out crap or being shut down.
I understand that there are two seperate teams and it's regrettable how the F1 games are. Talented people work at CM and their release schedule/bosses/contract with F1 mean a rushed release; a point I and others often forget.

Dirt Rally is largely sublime (even partially finished), Grid: Autosport ran flawlessly as did Grid 2 versus F1 2015 which is a dog's breakfast. The series on PC has nearly always been plagued with issues.

Yeah, that's incredible.

I see a lot of $35 tiers being purchased too. It makes this Indiegogo extension a nice alternative to selling GSC on Steam with it's 4% cut as opposed to Steam's 30%. I'm sure Reiza will be happy to ride that for as long as they're allow to.

I'm throwing caution to the wind by updating to Win10 tonight. I'll try and keep the thread abreast with all the software and hardware that's bound to go sideways.

Makikou

Yeah, that's incredible.

I see a lot of $35 tiers being purchased too. It makes this Indiegogo extension a nice alternative to selling GSC on Steam with it's 4% cut as opposed to Steam's 30%. I'm sure Reiza will be happy to ride that for as long as they're allow to.

I'm throwing caution to the wind by updating to Win10 tonight. I'll try and keep the thread abreast with all the software and hardware that's bound to go sideways.

Going to jump in too probably. It will be.. interesting.

iRacing is confirmed working atleast, as is DisplayFusion.

Going to jump in too probably. It will be.. interesting.

iRacing is confirmed working atleast, as is DisplayFusion.

Definitely let us know how the upgrades go. I'm trying to decide whether to keep my current Win7 install and dual boot Windows 10 or just have Win 10 on its own.

I have read that all updates are now forced onto you, whereas before you could choose what to install and when. This has caused problems for people with GeForce experience as Windows tries to update the gfx drivers itself.

Hope all goes well, guess you two are the guinea pigs for this experiment. Are you upgrading from Win 7 or 8.1?

Also, does anyone know if there are tracks available for Hidden Valley Raceway and Sydney Olympic Park Street Circuit for SCE?

Got to get setup for the not-V8 supercars.

Makikou

Definitely let us know how the upgrades go. I'm trying to decide whether to keep my current Win7 install and dual boot Windows 10 or just have Win 10 on its own.

I have read that all updates are now forced onto you, whereas before you could choose what to install and when. This has caused problems for people with GeForce experience as Windows tries to update the gfx drivers itself.

Hope all goes well, guess you two are the guinea pigs for this experiment. Are you upgrading from Win 7 or 8.1?

If you have Windows 7 Professional/Windows 8.1 Pro, you get to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro which lets you disable automatic updates and so on.

I'm upgrading from 8.1 Pro myself.

If you have Windows 7 Professional/Windows 8.1 Pro, you get to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro which lets you disable automatic updates and so on.

I'm upgrading from 8.1 Pro myself.

I read a quote from a couple of weeks ago:

"Microsoft's licensing on the upcoming Windows 10 OS means that most users will find their systems updating on command from Redmond without any option to stop this.

The Licensing Agreement for Windows 10, as found in the latest release candidate build 10240 of Windows 10 Professional, stated:

The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.

You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.

By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

According to that, even Pro users get forced updates. I'll be glad to be proven wrong on that point because that is really putting me off.

Edit: Sorry if this is going off topic

Makikou

I read a quote from a couple of weeks ago:

"Microsoft's licensing on the upcoming Windows 10 OS means that most users will find their systems updating on command from Redmond without any option to stop this.

The Licensing Agreement for Windows 10, as found in the latest release candidate build 10240 of Windows 10 Professional, stated:

The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.

You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.

By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

According to that, even Pro users get forced updates. I'll be glad to be proven wrong on that point because that is really putting me off.

Edit: Sorry if this is going off topic

This is only possible in Windows 10 Professional (and Enterprise i believe..)

4m9nnVR.png

Zeth

Excited for the AC update! Just a little nervous about the FFB changes - hope they don't fix something that's not broken.

markao

What game is that for?

Also, that livery is dope as fuck. Love to see it on a real car.
I assume it is for iRacing, as that's were Team RedLine is actively racing.

Not sure how much time he will spend on iRacing's (open) service and how much in hosted (TeamRL) practice sessions. But any bit of name dropping by Max would be good for sim racing in general.

No, we'll never see him running with us mortals, but I'm drooling at the thought of a Huttu/Verstappen showdown. Winner?
Huttu, of course.

----------

BTW, I had a pissing match with the Thrustmaster drivers on Win10. It seemed as if it correctly installed, but it hadn't. The installer just kept quitting on me half way through. I had to uninstall what little it had installed, and then run the installer from scratch as admin. Even then it was sketchy. Not to mention the control panel acts funky too. That part hasn't turned out to be a big deal though. The sliders work as they should, and the wheel and pedals are fine in game. I expect I'll have to do the same for my TH8RS.

Fired up GSC, rF2, and iRacing and they all seemed to work fine. I'm going to check the rest of the sims now. I'll report back if I have any issues. EDIT: pCARS, AC, R3E all fine. Dirt Rally threw an error at load. I needed to verify the integrity of the game cache. Fixed. I'll delve deeper into my sim collection tomorrow. I haven't touched my DK2 yet either. Nvidia's triple screen bezel correction is giving some weird values, but it seems to be working OK.

Makikou

No, we'll never see him running with us mortals, but I'm drooling at the thought of a Huttu/Verstappen showdown. Winner?
Huttu, of course.

----------

BTW, I had a pissing match with the Thrustmaster drivers on Win10. It seemed as if it correctly installed, but it hadn't. The installer just kept quitting on me half way through. I had to uninstall what little it had installed, and then run the installer from scratch as admin. Even then it was sketchy. Not to mention the control panel acts funky too. That part hasn't turned out to be a big deal though. The sliders work as they should, and the wheel and pedals are fine in game. I expect I'll have to do the same for my TH8RS.

Fired up GSC, rF2, and iRacing and they all seemed to work fine. I'm going to check the rest of the sims now. I'll report back if I have any issues. EDIT: pCARS, AC, R3E all fine. Dirt Rally threw an error at load. I needed to verify the integrity of the game cache. Fixed. I'll delve deeper into my sim collection tomorrow. I haven't touched my DK2 yet either. Nvidia's triple screen bezel correction is giving some weird values, but it seems to be working OK.

Oh boy.. not looking forward to juggling the Thrustmaster drivers myself then.

Also, Nicky Catsburg also races on Team Redline.. but i mean, Huttu is the king and so on. I kinda wish everyone didnt just flock to Redline. Coanda is very competitive too imho.

TJP

We probably have Dirt Rally to 'thank' for this news:

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo release postponed until 2016: http://www.bsimracing.com/sebastien-loeb-rally-evo-release-postponed-until-2016/

Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO is the biggest project ever made by Milestone since now. We’ve decided to postpone it to focus more on the title development. This release date change will offer to the players a rally simulation that represents a higher quality on the video game experience.

Top Bottom