• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Shaneus

This is why I'm not excited.... yet.

The game looks great, and I absolutely love this guy's perseverance, but this is the Duke Nukem Forever of racing sims. Just show me the money.
Partially that, partially the name and partially because somehow, to me the original footage of the game looks so much better than when it was moved to UE4 (or whatever engine it's now using).

I'm looking forward to it and I know it'll be amazing, but it still seems like it'll be a long way off yet.
Fake edit: Holy shit it's been almost 10 years?

Azzawon

Guys, is it actually happening?

Quite a large presence at Gamescom
This Facebook comment - "Yes - KartKraft will be released on Steam's Early Access in Q4 this year."

11246591_10155869347120484_4394315857487238901_n.jpg

The HUD looks very clean. I like it.

Damnit the TM 599 wheel isn't out until Q4.

I need that officially licensed Alcantara.

--

Formula Renault 3.5 2014 is releasing tomorrow for AC. From VirtuaSimulazioni, makers of the incredible McLaren MP4-13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf65wVExUxg

Out

Can't wait to give this a whirl. EDIT: Nice car, although not really my thing. The middle ground between the formula abarth and the MP4/13 is generally no man's land for me. I either want an open wheeler with finesse, or one that'll light my hair on fire.

I really enjoyed my brief test, behaves similarly to the one in rF2, so that's good. The concentration and precision required to drive these things is pretty intense - it doesn't feel that far away from F1 really.

I like the mod but it makes my G27 feel like it's going crazy; constant buzzing/vibrating.

I do believe I saw some chitchat in the thread on the AC forum about this. I think it had something to do with the canned effects (road, slip, curbs). Run without them and you won't have a problem. They add nothing of value anyway.

TheBear

Need to replace the T300RS pedals as they are complete shit.
Is the T3PA a worthy upgrade? The Pro looks unneccessary as I prefer floor mounted pedals and as far as I'm aware the only difference other than the pedal arrangement is the sweet 90's spec checkerplate floor.
Are the fairly robust? I was surprised at how cheap and flimsy the T300 pedals were.

Is the TH8A shifter good for sequential shifts?

Also, is there a way to increase FFB in PCars? I have it set to 100 but it's still fairly weak compared to iRacing, which on high settings feels like it's about to whip me out of my seat (awesome)

_machine

New video of someone playing KartKraft at Gamescom. Honestly, this really looks great. Now we just need actual gameplay to see how the game has evolved in the past year.
I had a quick go there, but just with the controller. It looks pretty good for such a small scale production, but I can't say much about the feel with just a pad and I'm also not really a fan of karts in games.

Azzawon

I had a quick go there, but just with the controller. It looks pretty good for such a small scale production, but I can't say much about the feel with just a pad and I'm also not really a fan of karts in games.

Did it feel playable at least? Games I've played with karts are usually a waste of time because the handling is so bad and unrefined (pCARS is by far the worst). A dedicated kart game like this looks quite promising.

_machine

Did it feel playable at least? Every game I've played with karts are usually a waste of time because the handling is that bad. A dedicated kart game like this looks quite promising.
Yeah definitely playable, but at least with a controller I've always felt that karts are a bit unpredictable and lacking in feel and the game wasn't really any different from others. After 2 races it felt pretty much comparable to what I remember pCARS karts being, though I haven't probably driven karts in pCARS for months (probably not even this year). So yeah, I'm not excited about it, but I'd also say it's got much more to do with me than the game and the game looked pretty solid still.

Azzawon

Yeah definitely playable, but at least with a controller I've always felt that karts are a bit unpredictable and lacking in feel and the game wasn't really any different from others. After 2 races it felt pretty much comparable to what I remember pCARS karts being, though I haven't probably driven karts in pCARS for months (probably not even this year). So yeah, I'm not excited about it, but I'd also say it's got much more to do with me than the game and the game looked pretty solid still.
That's quite promising at least, I think the biggest issue is that karts rely on twitch-controls and even the smallest of inputs make a huge difference. It's quite possible that they threw something quick together for people to use with a pad at Gamescom. What I've seen and heard about the handling with a steering wheel however is very good. Looking forward to the early access release.

This should hopefully be the place to ask; I used to mostly play arcade racers until I got my hands on Forza 3 on the 360. That game looked amazing, and gave me all the handholding I could hope for and incentive to turn that off one by one. I have a powerful PC and it seems a lot is going on right now with racing sims.

Basically I'm looking for a PC racing sim that works similar to Forza. It should be playable with a gamepad and have enough assists to get comfortable with the game. To be honest the rewind feature was probably the biggest thing for me since I used that A LOT at first until I got better until I rarely if ever needed it. But it helped a ton in getting used to the game and learning. Basically the making mistakes and learning cycle was really short and the frustration minimal.

Does such a game exist for pc or is that seen as too much dumbing down? Which would otheriwse be the most newbie friendly (and awesome looking) game to get?

DD

Does such a game exist for pc or is that seen as too much dumbing down? Which would otheriwse be the most newbie friendly (and awesome looking) game to get?
Not exactly a sim (and not too arcadey), but I recommend Grid Autosport. But if you want something more hardcore (more than Forza, and broken as fuck), get Project Cars. If you love rally, Dirt Rally is mandatory.

Need to replace the T300RS pedals as they are complete shit.
Is the T3PA a worthy upgrade? The Pro looks unneccessary as I prefer floor mounted pedals and as far as I'm aware the only difference other than the pedal arrangement is the sweet 90's spec checkerplate floor.
Are the fairly robust? I was surprised at how cheap and flimsy the T300 pedals were.

Is the TH8A shifter good for sequential shifts?

Also, is there a way to increase FFB in PCars? I have it set to 100 but it's still fairly weak compared to iRacing, which on high settings feels like it's about to whip me out of my seat (awesome)

The T3PAs are a worthy upgrade.

If you aren't interested in running the Pros inverted you can probably skip them. However, they are made entirely of metal and weigh a ton which might help with slippage, if that's a potential problem for you. The plastic T3PAs are likely engineered well enough that chassis flex isn't an issue. I can't say for sure though.

Here in the States at least, Amazon has a couple of Pros on sale "used" through wearhousedeals for $126. I'd take them at that price regardless if I thought they were necessary or not.

* of course you could always go with Fanatec's CSR Elite pedal which are both invertible, and have a load cell. If console compatibility isn't an issue then this is probably your best course of action.

The TH8A is a really nice shifter which triples as gated, sequential, and hand brake.

Branson

There's a great article on Pretend Race Cars about Dirt to Daytona that just popped up. What a great game. I loved it back in the day.

I brought it up here because it mentions a lot of current PC sims in the review. Basically saying D2D is better than most of the current crop. Which, in some ways, I can agree with. I still play NR2003 over a lot of them.

I know this is going to fall mostly on deaf ears because it wasn't released recently. But with all of the disappointments in most of the big sims released lately it's a good thing to go back and see how good some other games were in comparison to what we have today.

TJP

Not exactly a sim (and not too arcadey), but I recommend Grid Autosport. But if you want something more hardcore (more than Forza, and broken as fuck), get Project Cars. If you love rally, Dirt Rally is mandatory.
Before Dirt Rally was made available, Grid Autosport was the best CM release since Grid. It isn't a car collecting game nor a full racing sim but a highly enjoyable mashup of several CM games rolled into one package. Looks good, runs well on a potato and is huge fun. Shame it tanked!

There's a great article on Pretend Race Cars about Dirt to Daytona that just popped up. What a great game. I loved it back in the day.

I brought it up here because it mentions a lot of current PC sims in the review. Basically saying D2D is better than most of the current crop. Which, in some ways, I can agree with. I still play NR2003 over a lot of them.
Occasionally PRC post an article that is solid on every point and you've highlighted one such post.

Edit: Here is Empty Box playing Dirt to Daytona:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQgjoj_yQRk

DD

Before Dirt Rally was made available, Grid Autosport was the best CM release since Grid. It isn't a car collecting game nor a full racing sim but a highly enjoyable mashup of several CM games rolled into one package. Looks good, runs well on a potato and is huge fun. Shame it tanked!

Yeah, it certainly deserved to be a million seller, even with the blurred cockpits. That game is absolutely a joy. They should have released it on PS4 and the Xbone too.

Zeth

The T3PAs are a worthy upgrade.

If you aren't interested in running the Pros inverted you can probably skip them. However, they are made entirely of metal and weigh a ton which might help with slippage, if that's a potential problem for you. The plastic T3PAs are likely engineered well enough that chassis flex isn't an issue. I can't say for sure though.

Here in the States at least, Amazon has a couple of Pros on sale "used" through wearhousedeals for $126. I'd take them at that price regardless if I thought they were necessary or not.

* of course you could always go with Fanatec's CSR Elite pedal which are both invertible, and have a load cell. If console compatibility isn't an issue then this is probably your best course of action.

The TH8A is a really nice shifter which triples as gated, sequential, and hand brake.

Tempted to get the T3PA-pro but I don't know how much of an upgrade they will be from G27 pedals with spring mod. That warehouse deal looks great.

In other news I think I stripped the clamp threading on my TH8A - probably the result of installing and removing it 5 times a week and tightening it way too much. I think it can be fixed by putting additional padding/spacers on the bottom cup so the force is on fresh threading above the weakened area. Idk - need to look at it.

Looks like chargingcar and Formula Corsa had another meltdown - links and threads removed/closed. I know it's happened before but it's still a shame if permanent. That dude never had a way with words though, seemed like he was always fighting an uphill battle with the language barrier and the constant stream of ungrateful know-it-alls giving them shit.

Tempted to get the T3PA-pro but I don't know how much of an upgrade they will be from G27 pedals with spring mod. That warehouse deal looks great.

In other news I think I stripped the clamp threading on my TH8A - probably the result of installing and removing it 5 times a week and tightening it way too much. I think it can be fixed by putting additional padding/spacers on the bottom cup so the force is on fresh threading above the weakened area. Idk - need to look at it.

Looks like chargingcar and Formula Corsa had another meltdown - links and threads removed/closed. I know it's happened before but it's still a shame if permanent. That dude never had a way with words though, seemed like he was always fighting an uphill battle with the language barrier and the constant stream of ungrateful know-it-alls giving them shit.

I used to own modded G25 pedals, and let me tell you that going to T500 pedals with the basherboard bushing mod (now considered inferior to the conical brake mod of the T3PAs) was the single greatest sim purchase I've made. I can brake entirely on muscle memory now, and it's such a game changer. It's amazing how you can quickly learn and retain the braking limits when your brain is measuring in force. I could never get that out of G25 pedals (or stock T500 pedals). You could get them closer to that, but within 3 minutes of using the modded T500 pedals I knew I had crossed over into a different world.

Zeth

I used to own modded G25 pedals, and let me tell you that going to T500 pedals with the basherboard bushing mod (now considered inferior to the conical brake mod of the T3PAs) was the single greatest sim purchase I've made. I can brake entirely on muscle memory now, and it's such a game changer. It's amazing how you can quickly learn and retain the braking limits when your brain is measuring in force. I could never get that out of G25 pedals (or stock T500 pedals). You could get them closer to that, but within 3 minutes of using the modded T500 pedals I knew I had crossed over into a different world.

Ok I ordered it - $130 shipped with tax is pretty great. I think you pushed me over the edge on the T300 btw, you're great at spending my money. :lol - thanks!

If I decide to get into load cells that's still an option in the future I guess - but I've honestly been pretty content with my current setup so this should be a nice upgrade. Now I just need a preorder page for the TM 30 599 wheel.

Branson

Yeah, it certainly deserved to be a million seller, even with the blurred cockpits. That game is absolutely a joy. They should have released it on PS4 and the Xbone too.
Yeah I felt like the only person in the world playing that game. I really liked it.

Ok I ordered it - $130 shipped with tax is pretty great. I think you pushed me over the edge on the T300 btw, you're great at spending my money. :lol - thanks!

If I decide to get into load cells that's still an option in the future I guess - but I've honestly been pretty content with my current setup so this should be a nice upgrade. Now I just need a preorder page for the TM 30 599 wheel.

:D

Let me personally apologize to your wallet. Chin up, at least I'm not pushing some Heusinkvelds. :)

From my own experience with the bashermod, and what I know of the conical brake mod is you'll be doubting how much more performance you can really get out of the brakes.

I love a new toy as much as anyone, but I have little motivation to enhance or replace my pedals with a loadcell brake. I'd like a longer more realistic throw, and of course a better clutch, but I've achieved what I've always wanted out of the brakes - consistent, brain-free threshold braking. I've ripped apart countless sets of pedals trying anything I could to improve the brake, and now I'm 98% chill with what I've got. Anything more would be gravy.

YMMV, but that's my story.

going to T500 pedals with the basherboard bushing mod (now considered inferior to the conical brake mod of the T3PAs) was the single greatest sim purchase I've made.
Indeed. Going from cheap to expensive pedals feels a much greater leap than cheap to expensive steering wheel. All hail quailty braking.

TJP

One needs very thick skin when making a sim or mods 8( Know-it-all people exist in every field of endeavour and I get the feeling making mods can be a thankless exercise at times.

Looking at RD forum, a poster called Mr.Alex appears to have posted comments that caused the mods to be removed. Shame too as the mods are well thought of and used in league racing.

Based on previous hissy fits, I'd give it a few weeks and his mods will resurface.

TheBear

I noticed the reiza crowdfunding page is still open. If I donate, do I get a steam key for GSCE immediately or do I have to wait?

I noticed the reiza crowdfunding page is still open. If I donate, do I get a steam key for GSCE immediately or do I have to wait?

Reiza said:
We have decided to give steam keys (or NonSteam serial numbers) to contributors opting in for perks which include digital copies of Stock Car Extreme and/or Formula Truck 2013 right away, rather than at the end of the campaign.

Please contact us at sales@reizastudios.com with the email used for your contribution, specifying your options (which games, and what platform).

It may not be instantaneous, but it should be fairly quick.

TheBear

Awesome, time to pick it up!

Are there any updates on the OZV8 mod? Or should I just wait for the new Reiza game? any idea how long that it will be?

Awesome, time to pick it up!

Are there any updates on the OZV8 mod? Or should I just wait for the new Reiza game? any idea how long that it will be?

They have their own thread in the Reiza dev subforum on Race Department which you should have access to now that you're a backer. No eta, but it looks somewhat close.

Shaneus

From memory, if you have an account at RD and it's the same email address used for the IGG crowdfunding, it will be automatic.

In other news, the Reiza guys meet each other for the first time (in Netherlands):
cN6yhVv.jpg

From left to right: Dom Lovric, Renato Simioni, Alex Sawczuk, Marcel Offermans, Niels Heusinkveld

Mascot

Damnit the TM 599 wheel isn't out until Q4.

I need that officially licensed Alcantara.

My Fanatec GT2 has alcantara and I'm not a fan, to be honest. I have to wear gloves to get a decent grip and to keep it sweat-stain free. I much preferred the perforated leather on my old G27.

TJP

In other news, the Reiza guys meet each other for the first time (in Netherlands
Hard to believe that is the case but what a team they are! The geographical distance between them hasn't hampered their ability to make a great sim.

TJP

A lot of the pCARS devs seem to be scattered around the globe as well.
Same for Sector 3, ISI and plenty of other dev teama. I bet most of them have met at least once whereas this was the first time the guys at Reiza have met in a physical sense.

Anyone know when patch #3 for pCARS dropping anytime soon?

StuffRuff

So I just picked myself up a G27 set up with wheel stand pro on the weekend as I used to love racing games and sims when I was younger. Got it for an amazing price and just trying to get some games together now.

Currently using it primarily on the PS3 while I wait for the games I'm looking at on PC to go on offer (Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Euro Truck Sim 2 etc) but am downloading the RBR setup so will use that soon as I love rally games.

At the moment on the PS3 I dug out my old copies of GT5 and Dirt 2, and bought Shift 2 Unleashed and Grid Autosport as part of the EU PSN sale.

Looking at maybe F1 2014 for £7.99 as its on the PSN sale as well now, is it worth a buy?

Also are there any other PS3 games worth getting until I move onto primarily PC racing?

One last question, GT5 seems fine for wheel rotation but I'm struggling to get S2U and Grid Autosport to match the G27? It always feels like the in game wheel isn't turning as fast as I am in real life and sometimes I've got to go full lock to just get round a medium corner. Which settings should I be looking at on each game to sort this out and any advice on to manipulate those settings for the issue I'm having? I've tried to search on google but most advice seems to be for PC where people are able to make use of the logitech profiler software so make it do what they want!

trillbo

So I just picked myself up a G27 set up with wheel stand pro on the weekend as I used to love racing games and sims when I was younger. Got it for an amazing price and just trying to get some games together now.

Currently using it primarily on the PS3 while I wait for the games I'm looking at on PC to go on offer (Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Euro Truck Sim 2 etc) but am downloading the RBR setup so will use that soon as I love rally games.

At the moment on the PS3 I dug out my old copies of GT5 and Dirt 2, and bought Shift 2 Unleashed and Grid Autosport as part of the EU PSN sale.

Looking at maybe F1 2014 for £7.99 as its on the PSN sale as well now, is it worth a buy?

Also are there any other PS3 games worth getting until I move onto primarily PC racing?

One last question, GT5 seems fine for wheel rotation but I'm struggling to get S2U and Grid Autosport to match the G27? It always feels like the in game wheel isn't turning as fast as I am in real life and sometimes I've got to go full lock to just get round a medium corner. Which settings should I be looking at on each game to sort this out and any advice on to manipulate those settings for the issue I'm having? I've tried to search on google but most advice seems to be for PC where people are able to make use of the logitech profiler software so make it do what they want!

Supercar Challenge is pretty decent on PS3, and GT6 is worth looking at too. Check out Raceroom Racing Experience on PC (It's f2p and has a few free tracks & cars). Stock Car Extreme is an absolute must IMO, some of the best handling & FFB out there.

Regarding wheel rotation, you can try different rotation angles and see if they feel any better. Hold the two middle red buttons on the shifter and then press one of the 4 top buttons:

Top: 240 degrees
Right: 670 degrees
Left: 450 degrees
Bottom: 900 Default

Mascot

Same for Sector 3, ISI and plenty of other dev teama. I bet most of them have met at least once whereas this was the first time the guys at Reiza have met in a physical sense.

This was surprising to me. I'd always assumed most devs are mainly under one roof, probably based on various studio tour videos (Turn 10, Epic, Bungie etc). I guess fragmentation makes total sense with modern comms, and especially for smaller independent studios.

Anyone know when patch #3 for pCARS dropping anytime soon?

I'm not even sure the three versions have even left Namco yet, but might be wrong. I did hear a rumour that patches for all three formats would be released at the same time, but this seems daft. MS are incredibly slow with approval, Sony are quicker and Steam just chuck them out. No reason for PS4 and PC to keep time by Microsoft's clock.

Dave_6

Is it worth upgrading from a G27 to a T300RS? I see that quite a few people have and they say the FFB is better with the T300. If I do, can't I use the G27 pedals with it?

Anyone that has a T300RS; any idea the maximum thickness of a surface it will clamp to? I'm using an old desk and it is quite thick. I had to take the 'spacers' out of my G27 to
get it to fit.

Looks like my week old T300RS is going back as it's started making noises. Ugh, what a piece of crap.

Not what I wanted to hear :( Sorry man.

TJP

I'm not even sure the three versions have even left Namco yet, but might be wrong. I did hear a rumour that patches for all three formats would be released at the same time, but this seems daft. MS are incredibly slow with approval, Sony are quicker and Steam just chuck them out. No reason for PS4 and PC to keep time by Microsoft's clock.
Interesting. The way Steam allows publishers to push out updates is the correct method in my humble opinion.

Why do the pCARS patches need to go through Namco? I thought they were responsible for marketing/distribution and little else. I haven't followed the pcars funding closely.

In a traditional publisher-developer relationship, from what I understand the publisher requests the dev team to create fixes for said game. I was of the understanding the SMS and Namco relationship was different.

Top Bottom