• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Dave_6

Both worked fine for me with a TX (almost the same wheel I guess) on Win 7. Haven't had a chance to test them in Windows 10 yet though.

Nice to know, thanks. I'm thinking about getting a T500 soon and I'm still on Windows 7 (out of room on my SSD to upgrade right now).

So does GCSE have a lighter steering feel for you than say iRacing or RRE?

EDIT: Tested it against both RRE and iRacing, GCSE is noticeably looser
Hard to answer that question, as it varies by car and each sim has a different FFB system with a different scale. But no, the way I have each of these sims set up, SCE does not have a lighter steering feel in general for me. I just tested R3E and SCE in various cars, main strength set at 60% in both sims. If anything, SCE felt stronger. In iRacing, assuming the default non-linear FFB set to '12' is the equivalent of '100%' in the other two, then it also seems in the same ballpark, but again it varies massively by car, tyre pressures, etc.

Anyone here ever had any issues using a newer wheel like a T500 with older games like Race 07 and GTR2? Just curious if those older games would recognize that wheel or not.
No problems with the T500 in those games - works the same as SCE/rF1.

TJP

From the answers I presume you gents disagree.

To be honest, I completely forgot the same vehicles were featured in rF2; I've been more interested in the URD mods (an aside - all of the URD AC mods were updated & released today), the AC 427 and the NSX drift-mobile.

More pics from the ISI track team:
CM3Oo5kUYAAZ_WW.jpg
CM3OoEIUcAI1twL.jpg

In rF2 modding news, ISI announced a new modding tool called gJED:

As a non-modder I've no idea how great the news is.. Tim Wheatley posted
Today we would like to announce gJED, an effort to remove the reliance on 3DS Max as the only tool for rF2 modding: "Probably a few weeks from release, it's time to talk about gJED, a new mesh and materials property editor for gMotor2-based applications. gJED allows for real-time editing of gMotor2 content created in any content editor which can export the FBX file format.

Content creators are no longer tied to a single platform (3DS Max). gJED is a real-time DirectX application built using the same engine and shaders as rFactor2, and therefore has most of the same graphical options as rFactor2. Much of the operation of gJED is similar to that of the latest gMotor2 plugins for 3DS Max
This software might re-ignite interest in rF2 modding if it works ala the tools offered in Assetto Corsa.

DD

Reiza posted this today:

11896536_10153571820007743_3331738901145703781_o.jpg

GRID Autosport, worth a fiver?

Yeah, definitely. It's an amazing game, but not exactly a sim. Grid Autosport and Dirt Rally are the result of Codemasters trying to redeem themselves, and both are incredible, specially the new Dirt.

Megasoum

Banned
Guys.... I kinda stopped playing racing games for a couple of months and now I just started playing pCARS again...

It's still a ton of fun but now that Thrustmaster announced the new 30cm/alcantara rim I really hate my stock TX rim lol. I bet it's gonna take forever before it's finally available (especiall in Canada).

I don't disagree, it's just that the 3.5 correlates to the larger popularity comparison between the sims. In fairness to the article though, that's what it mostly focused on. That is the crux however. The 3.5 is just part of the machine.

I tease about the features & functionality comment, because I think it's pretty obvious it's not about that. Well then what's it about? Well, you could write a thesis about it, but chapter one would have to be about graphics, a word only recently imported into the PC sim lexicon by people who prize it above all else. They also brought an indifference to shit AI, barebones multiplayer, and poor motorsports simulation. In many ways AC is just a PC version of that game the devs take their sweet time with, but thankfully their existing wheels will work here. Needs moar campaign tho.

OK! OK! I'll put the machine gun down!

No, seriously, that wasn't fair to anybody/sim. rF2 has a shit-ton of problems, and AC is a great sim, but I do think this stuff is a lot lower level than most people are willing to acknowledge. rF2 has some of the best physics/ffb, easily the best AI, and a great feature set, so why isn't it more popular? You know why.

To be honest, I completely forgot the same vehicles were featured in rF2; I've been more interested in the URD mods (an aside - all of the URD AC mods were updated & released today), the AC 427 and the NSX drift-mobile.

Nice! I was afraid the NSX would fall by the wayside.

I drove the FR3.5 in rF2 and AC back to back the other day. The one in rF2 feels better, but only because rF2 feels better in general. They're very similar otherwise. So it pretty clear why AC's version is more popular. AC's physics are good enough, it's much prettier than rF2, and it's on Steam.

TJP

I'm surprised about the Steam comment; many of the sim racer posts I've read indicate there is quite a significant number who absolutely hate Steam.

I recall meltdowns when Kunos stated AC would be Steam only and Reiza felt obliged to keep SCE as a stand alone install as well as the Steam version.

I'm surprised about the Steam comment; many of the sim racer posts I've read indicate there is quite a significant number who absolutely hate Steam.

I recall meltdowns when Kunos stated AC would be Steam only and Reiza felt obliged to keep SCE as a stand alone install as well as the Steam version.
I'm sure it's a vocal minority. I think AC's success can be attributed largely to it being on Steam and being pretty. It's a killer combination, as the Steam front-page impulse-buy is the way many people get games these days. And when people actually go looking for racing games on Steam, AC is the one that looks most like Gran Turismo or Forza in the screenshots.

Reiza was in a different situation, as 100% of their existing customers were using a non Steam version, so it was the right choice. I think their brand new game would do absolutely fine if they decide to make it Steam-only.

* what BL said

Those people are a tiny minority to the large numbers of people who've purchased AC because of Steam. AC wouldn't be where it is today without Steam. All those people help generate hype about mod releases, and subsequently they get talked about and covered by media and youtubers.

TheBear

In regards to SCE, I haven't been able to improve the firmness of the FFB, but I am really enjoying the racing, much more so than other sims. I've started a Evo X season and I love the racing it's great.
but, I tried out the Formula Retro, and the weak steering really took me out of the experience. Those cars would be an absolute bastard to drive without power steering, and here I am steering it with one finger. A bit disappointing really, and I can't seem to work out if that's actually the game or if my settings are wrong. FWIW, I've used and double checked the recommendations in this thread and I haven't missed anything. Anyway, I guess I'll stay away from the open wheelers for now

In regards to SCE, I haven't been able to improve the firmness of the FFB, but I am really enjoying the racing, much more so than other sims. I've started a Evo X season and I love the racing it's great.
but, I tried out the Formula Retro, and the weak steering really took me out of the experience. Those cars would be an absolute bastard to drive without power steering, and here I am steering it with one finger. A bit disappointing really, and I can't seem to work out if that's actually the game or if my settings are wrong. FWIW, I've used and double checked the recommendations in this thread and I haven't missed anything. Anyway, I guess I'll stay away from the open wheelers for now

You should post your control panel, and in-game settings (strength basically). Let's see what you've got, and then go from there.

-------

EDIT: or for the sake of brevity;

Although all the settings in both the control panel, and in-game work together to make the ffb work correctly, the "overall strength of forces" (first slider in the control panel), and the "force feedback strength" slider in-game are what control the strength of the ffb. If everything else feels OK, but you think it's weak, raise one of these. Personally, I never change the the value in the control panel. I always leave it at 60%, which is the default for the T500. I change the forces within the game, and in this case it's I run it at 100%. Perhaps with the T300, with the in-game setting at 100%, you may feel you want even more strength so turn it up a little (not 100%, like 70). What you don't want under any circumstance is clipping which is basically like turning up the volume too high on a cheap stereo. There's no detail, and just noise.

So here's my settings for the T500 in GSC:

Control Panel:
180°(karts), 540°(everything else), 900°(road cars)
60 - strength
100 - constant
100 - periodic
8 - spring (this is a dirty little secret of mine. It's the only game (rF1 too) that I run any spring. Not sure where I picked that tip up from, but I've used it for so long I've never bothered exploring a change)
0 - damper

Stock Car Extreme:
100% strength
Setup menu, steering lock - 16(karts), 22(everything else), 32(road cars)

TheBear

Just tried these settings and found a huge improvement. I think adding the spring maybe made the difference, I'm not sure but it works great.

Thank you very much Big Takeover and everyone else I really appreciate it!

BTW this game with super sampling AA looks gorgeous!

Really enjoying this so far.

- ADAC GT Masters Experience 2015 coming probably a month from now. New physics and tire model which will also be applied to the previous GT Masters packs. Physics improvements come largely from better car data which Kelvin van der Linde (2014 champ, Rene Rast's teammate btw // SIM FIGHT!) helped source. Reaction from him and the devs is that the handling improvements are big. "Boat" feeling is gone.

- No word yet on if these improvements can/will trickle down to other content.

- Kelvin van der Linde is giving some good, unfiltered info. He's a sim racer. He understands sims.

Need to watch more!

Ha, indeed! I want to see "removed stilts" in the changelog. :p

EDIT: Video of the new cars at Spa. Perhaps it's placebo, but I think you can even see the difference. The front wheels are turning the car in the manner in which you'd expect.

They're right on the doorstep of making something great. Hopefully this update will be The One.

- The cars are getting early downshift prevention code too, which iRacers will recognize. No more leaderboard killing, bullshit gamey shifting.

-----------

Back to the vsync conversation. Pablo Lopez just put up a comparison video of off vs on. You don't need to speak Spanish to see the massive difference.

rF2
Apex Modding GT3 mod has been released. This has the new CPM on all cars unlike the URD paid-for mod which will be updated sometime soon.
Great fun to drive but Apex don't seem to have put too much time into AI yet, as they're driving all over the place. It's 0.92, so hopefully some tweaks will come.
Ha, indeed! I want to see "removed stilts" in the changelog. :p

EDIT: Video of the new cars at Spa.
Judging by that video, RRRE's AI has taken a few steps forward. Can't wait for Spa... and some open wheels.

Great fun to drive but Apex don't seem to have put too much time into AI yet, as they're driving all over the place. It's 0.92, so hopefully some tweaks will come.Judging by that video, RRRE's AI has taken a few steps forward. Can't wait for Spa... and some open wheels.

I was pretty disappointed to hear the dev say these are league racing cars. We don't really care about much else. (pretty sure it was a dev) Perhaps that's the truth, but that does me no good. Insular sim is insular.

R3E's Spa AI does look pretty good though. Getting around OK. Could use some speed here and there, but who knows what difficulty it was on, and of course there's some speed differences between the makes.

Hard to say. But I'm seeing the AI are still able to fling the tails of the cars around like nobody's business, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

A couple of times, yes, but by and large they move realistically. Is that evidence of some sort of centerpoint turning? Hard to say. There are too many moving parts to point to that and say aha. The driver in the video drives in a realistic manner, but I suppose the true question is what happens when you don't? Kelvin mentions that's how you have to drive now, so I'll remain optimistic.

TJP

Happy to read you gents like the updates! The updates are being driven partly from two devs taking a different approach to the physics and from racers such as Kelvin and Bruno Spengler. SimHQ's Motorsport forum has a good run down of the two hours spent on twitch.

There are lots of changes coming from the aero to tyre model improvements and wear tweaks. Don't know when these will be reflected in all of the sim however they'll be in in at least two of the 2015 experiences and several separate classes. Surprised the size of the grids hasn't been mentioned 8)

As for the AI, they are being tweaked. The video may not be indicative of the final product as the AI are being worked on now. Rest assured Sector 3 know the limitations of the AI in isimotor 2 and are working to improve the single player experience.

I know it's an overused excuse however changes within R3E take time to because there are 11 people working on every aspect of the sim (that is, from licencing to physics). It is a team that is the size of Kunos and nothing like the size of SMS or Turn10.

TJP

Great fun to drive but Apex don't seem to have put too much time into AI yet, as they're driving all over the place. It's 0.92, so hopefully some tweaks will come.Judging by that video, RRRE's AI has taken a few steps forward. Can't wait for Spa... and some open wheels.
I believe the URD cars are more polished and once the newest tyre model has been implemented, their cars will be fantastic. I thought the Apex mod was good but I deleted it after a day of mucking about. The models look like Forza rips although I could be wrong.

Spa is sensational with a very large grid of GT3 or ADAC cars. The open wheel car looks to be a GP2 or Formula Renault. Hope we get a few licenced open wheel cars because the tracks are there to support them!

TJP

rF2:

A newer version of 32_pixels Toyota Celica GTO 1986 has been released. The Toyota Celica GTO 1987, is partially based on 32_pixels original, with plenty of fixes as 32-pixels dropped out of sight and so did support for his mod some time ago.

Features v0.99 Toyota Celica GTO 1987 and changes compared to Toyota Celica GTO 1986:
- Showroom display fixed (FIX)
- Undershadow disappearing fixed (FIX)
- Fixed the "Tire-remove-Chassis-Bug" (FIX)
- Missing Discglow added (New Feature)
- AI default Setup changed (FIX)
- Steve`s Skinpack added to Teams (incld. Icons). At the moment there are 50 Skins available (New Feature)
- Pitlimiter as upgrade added, default on (New Feature)
- SemiAutomatic as Upgrade added, default off (New Feature)
- Penalty added for semiautomatic (0,0.003) (New Feature)
- New Tire with CPM added (New Feature)
- Weight Distribution changed (Fix)
- Level of Downforce increased (FIX)
- Changeable Weight Distribution added (New Feature)
- Increased steering weight (FIX)
- Roof Antenna added (New Feature)
- Paint support for rims added (wcextra1) (New Feature)
- WaterTemp and OilTemp heating changed (FIX)
- OilWaterHeatTransfer changed, wasn`t really working (FIX)
- Down- and upshift delay decreased (FIX)
- Gears changed to rF2 System (New Feature)
- FinalDriveLine added (for tracks with longer straights) (New Feature)
- First gear shorter ratio added (New Feature)
- Engine Cooling Menu "repaired", wrong values replaced (FIX)
- Set of Medium & Hard Tire added (CPM) (New Feature)
- Values to the brake kg/f added (FIX)
- Moveable/detachable (Debris) parts added (Front Grid & Rear Wing) (New Feature)
- Fixed looped Sound (FIX)

DL here: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/toyota-celica-gto-1987.7105/

An update to 32_pixels fictional Lester track has also been released, which can be found here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/25930-Update-for-Lester-originally-created-by-32_Pixels

Changelog:
-Complete new AIW
-Pitlights and -lines to better see where you enter/leave the pitlane and when it's red light to avoid penalties.
- added 8 Corner workers to make also Yellow-Flag work

Makikou

Just bought used Clubsport Pedals v2 from my team mate for 120eur, pretty good deal in my book for now, atleast. Should be much better than these T300RS pedals which feel like trash.

Just bought used Clubsport Pedals v2 from my team mate for 120eur, pretty good deal in my book for now, atleast. Should be much better than these T300RS pedals which feel like trash.

Nice. Great set of pedals imho. I replaced the pedal plates with DSD Tilton style pedal pads (a bit like the one's on the V3's) and would recommend taking a look at some point.

Ark

Nice. Great set of pedals imho. I replaced the pedal plates with DSD Tilton style pedal pads (a bit like the one's on the V3's) and would recommend taking a look at some point.

I didn't know he sold those! Woah. I am super tempted to pick some up for my CSP V2's.

Would you recommend them? Do you have a picture of how they look on the V2's?

TJP

RaceRoom's physics test with Kelvin van der Linde:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ4oVhxZyQU

Topics are as follows:
0:00 Introduction
1:35 How Kelvin got involved
3:25 What has changed?
14:02 Home- vs High Tech Simulators
17:12 Using RaceRoom as a practicing tool
20:10 Difference between Tracks
22:20 Driving Aids
23:50 ADAC GT Masters Experience 2015 Target Release Date
26:11 GT Masters Virtual Championship
29:03 Balance of Performance
33:10 Tire wear
42:20 Differences between real driving and simracing
44:45 What is Kelvin´s favorite race track?
46:42 Hardware & FFB
50:06 Race Start
50:20 Tire wear in ADAC GT Masters
53:00 Car Setups
56:55 Lack of g-forces & motion simulatorss
1:00:35 future ambitions in racing
1:04:27 Influence of framerate on physics and ffb
1:06:24 DTM Physics
1:08:20 GTR3 Class Updates
1:09:00 What race track would Kelvin like to race in RaceRoom?
1:20:00 Casual Racing with Kelvin

I disagree about not making R3E as realistic as possbile and have said so directly to the dev's. One needs to listen to the dev's before making a comment as they explain their reasons for the statement.

paskowitz

I figure nobody would be interested in the BTS thread.

My Fanatec ClubSport Pedals v2s are up for sale. PM for price/questions if interested.

I am selling them because I got a set of v3s. I also put a really strong spring on the brake pedal that (IMO) greatly increases the level of feel in the brake pedal. Personally, I am a bit bummed with the V3s as the brake feel is mediocre without the damper. I actually prefer the V2's brake. I was tempted to sell my V3s, but I figured there would be no market since you can just get them new.

Also, would any of you happen to know a good forum for selling PC sim gear? Outside of being an iRacing member (I am not) I cannot think of a good place.

I disagree about not making R3E as realistic as possbile and have said so directly to the dev's. One needs to listen to the dev's before making a comment as they explain their reasons for the statement.

Yeah, I wasn't terribly impressed with that comment. Not because they're tuning the drivability, but in the manner in which they're implying they are (faked). For example, Niels gets great results from the same physics engine because he has a great understanding of the tire model. They said in the video that they're working heavily with the tires, well if they aren't happy with the drivability of the cars the answer isn't bandaid fixes, it's keep working with the tire model. If they have to "keep in mind it's still a game", something is not right.

Also, would any of you happen to know a good forum for selling PC sim gear? Outside of being an iRacing member (I am not) I cannot think of a good place.

The ISR forum seems pretty good for that.

TJP

Yeah, I wasn't terribly impressed with that comment. Not because they're tuning the drivability, but in the manner in which they're implying they are (faked). For example, Niels gets great results from the same physics engine because he has a great understanding of the tire model. They said in the video that they're working heavily with the tires, well if they aren't happy with the drivability of the cars the answer isn't bandaid fixes, it's keep working with the tire model. If they have to "keep in mind it's still a game", something is not right.
My comment to the devs was that going down the utmost realism path will see far more people play than dissuade. If the 'get real' is too difficult for noobs, they can use TC on its maximum setting or play in amateur mode.

I also added that I'd never read anyone state Stock Car Extreme or rFactor 2 was too difficult with all of the aids turned off and that Asset to Corsa has pretty much stolen the SimBin mantra of 'easy to pick up, hard to master' physics. I never got a response however several testers agreed 8)

I was probably seen as going for the jugular by the physics guys but fuck being polite all the time. Sector 3 are on the cusp of making something great (amazing given how shit it started off being) and I don't want them to get cold feet again about the sim being too hard.

My comment to the devs was that going down the utmost realism path will see far more people play than dissuade. If the 'get real' is too difficult for noobs, they can use TC on its maximum setting or play in amateur mode.

I also added that I'd never read anyone state Stock Car Extreme or rFactor 2 was too difficult with all of the aids turned off and that Asset to Corsa has pretty much stolen the SimBin mantra of 'easy to pick up, hard to master' physics. I never got a response however several testers agreed 8)

I was probably seen as going for the jugular by the physics guys but fuck being polite all the time. Sector 3 are on the cusp of making something great (amazing given how shit it started off being) and I don't want them to get cold feet again about the sim being too hard.

Yeah, personally I don't think there's a market for artificially toned down sims on PC. I think that's perhaps more applicable to console where you've got a much wider range of players. I think approachability is still important, but you get that by working hard on the tire model to get more inline with reality.

I'm not sure why they keep trying to tailoring their product for beginners. I thought they already went down that road. What did that get them?

EXCITE! Should be a fun car.

TJP

I'm not sure why they keep trying to tailoring their product for beginners. I thought they already went down that road. What did that get them?
It got SimBin in a situation where its many loyal fans said "WTF?!?!"before moving onto rF2, AC and likely pCARS.

Lach

Damn I'm really tempted to get a playseat. F1 is way to expensive, but the revolution looks nice.

But I really don't have enough space for it!

Watevaman

Damn I'm really tempted to get a playseat. F1 is way to expensive, but the revolution looks nice.

But I really don't have enough space for it!

From my experience, I would've gotten one without the bar where it is on the Evolution. It makes quick pedal work a pain in the ass sometimes. If you do get one, try to get whichever one has the bar up near your crotch.

Megasoum

Banned
So... SMS announced that the pCARS2 sign up with close in 7 days on the same day they announced that the pCARS 1 payment to members will come in september...

They said on multiple occasions in the past that the pCARS2 sign up would stay open until at least WMD members get their money from the first game so they could use it to sign up which is obviously no longer the case anymore... Classic SMS bs...

The worst part... If you look at the pCARS2 forums you obviously can't access the private sections without paying first (which is fine of course) but you can read the public sections. The moment you sign up for an account and login (for example, to participate in the public discussion) you suddenly can't see ANY threads, even the public ones. You need to logout to be able to read the threads. So basically you gotta pay to say anything, even in the public forums.

Glad to see that the whole thing is still a big ol clusterfuck.

Top Bottom