• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

DD

Yet on the Dirt Rally subject, they'll keep raising the price until the full release. :p

Anyway, you'll rarely see me saying this, but even in early access, it's well worth it's price tag. Funny because since day one it feels more a finished product than the final version of Project Cars after lots of patches.

Lach

From my experience, I would've gotten one without the bar where it is on the Evolution. It makes quick pedal work a pain in the ass sometimes. If you do get one, try to get whichever one has the bar up near your crotch.

Good hint. The Evolution has it directly on the seat which seems good. I currently have a wheelstand pro where I sometimes have problems with the bar. I'm not in a hurry and will keep looking.

StuffRuff

You'll be waiting a while, don't expect it to drop until long after it's left early access.

GMG would be your best bet for Dirt Rally if you want it at a discount. I got my copy for $24 from them.

Damn knew I should have bought it in the summer sale. Looks like I might just have to bite the bullet and pay the £29.99!

Thanks for the recommendation of GMG, unfortunately its the same price as steam on there.

As I'm UK based could I go onto the US version of the site and pay the US price in dollars and save myself some money that way?

Mascot

I see there's been some recent Fanatec hardware/pedal discussion here. I just posted about my recent experiences in the wheel thread which you might (or might not) find useful and/or save you a few quid/bucks/euros/groats, or not.

This guy has a great blog. I remember some of the other car-to-sim comparisons he did. Good stuff.

I see there's been some recent Fanatec hardware/pedal discussion here. I just posted about my recent experiences in the wheel thread which you might (or might not) find useful and/or save you a few quid/bucks/euros/groats, or not.

Nice work. Reminds me I should get some switches to have on hand.

StuffRuff

Damn knew I should have bought it in the summer sale. Looks like I might just have to bite the bullet and pay the £29.99!

Thanks for the recommendation of GMG, unfortunately its the same price as steam on there.

As I'm UK based could I go onto the US version of the site and pay the US price in dollars and save myself some money that way?

And just like that Dirt Rally is on offer with 15% off! (on steam)

Just a heads up if anyone else is after it :D

Makikou

Ahh i'm finally getting somewhat confident in the 12C GT3 @ iRacing. Just finished this week's 2nd race in Twin Ring Motegi. Surprised myself in quali absolutely blasting my earlier PB's even though i thought the weather woulda been slower than usual. (It's night though so it doesn't matter too much how warm/humid it is).

Car #10.

http://scpr.eu/makikou/a1IH

Ahh i'm finally getting somewhat confident in the 12C GT3 @ iRacing. Just finished this week's 2nd race in Twin Ring Motegi. Surprised myself in quali absolutely blasting my earlier PB's even though i thought the weather woulda been slower than usual. (It's night though so it doesn't matter too much how warm/humid it is).

Car #10.

http://scpr.eu/makikou/a1IH

Nice one.

I've always liked the Mac in iRacing. Good balance of entertainment, and stability. The RUF can get a little weird, and the BMW is a bore. People swear by the Ford these days too. I need to spend more time with it.

Makikou

Nice one.

I've always liked the Mac in iRacing. Good balance of entertainment, and stability. The RUF can get a little weird, and the BMW is bore. People swear by the Ford these days too. I need to spend more time with it.

For this past Season 3, it's been that the Ford GT got BoP'd as fast and stable.
It sort of excels where it logically shouldn't, like at Motegi.
Mclaren is quite balanced at the corners, dominates straights and most setups you can run 1-2 wing on every circuit as the grip gain using more downforce is negligible. I think the Mclaren also gives fantastic feedback of what it is doing nowadays..

RUF, being rear-engined car has that super tricky weight transition and the hollow feeling on front tires as there is no weight on them. It's very well balanced though and is right on par with Mclaren but sometimes can challenge the Ford (as can Mclaren ofc).

BMW really got the short stick on BoP this season. Not enough traction during acceleration off corners really kills it including the fact it's also god damn slow in general off them. I think the downforce at high speeds is right where it should be but it's losing way too much traction right now.

Thanks for the breakdown on the BoP, and how they're currently performing. If you look away for a second, it changes ;-) Nature of the beast though. Now gimmie that AMG GT GT3! What a sexpot.

-----------

Shaun Cole is doing a nice video series on building an 80/20 rig. The stuff is expensive, but it's awfully versatile. Worth a watch if you're looking for a rig. Monitor stand video coming soon.

https://youtu.be/yOTogHf0PVo

EDIT: Here's his parts list

Just adding the parts to my Amazon cart it looks to be roughly $400 usd. I'm sure with some shopping around that price would come down. The 40 corner brackets alone make up 25% of the cost. I can do better.

Oculus 0.7 beta w/ "preliminary" W10 support (yay!) came out last night.

From what I'm seeing pCARS, Dirt Rally, and LFS work. iRacing doesn't (yet?), and AC won't ever. They actually went as far as removing the VR compatibility tag from their Steam page. They'll be back next year when the consumer Rift ships. Unfortunate.

Hey guys.

I made a thread but no one bit so maybe asking in here is the better idea.

I'm in the market for a cockpit that serves well for both driving and flight games, but could also do me well for a heavy amount of 'regular' usage, as I'm a software dev by trade.

I imagine a couple people in here are familiar with things like the Obutto R3volution (or it's alternatives)? Does it come recommended for heavy mouse and keyboard use? Do you have other suggestions for that space or am I better just throwing out my current crap desk and trying to find a better solution to bolt a wheel and stick to?

Hey guys.

I'm in the market for a cockpit that serves well for both driving and flight games, but could also do me well for a heavy amount of 'regular' usage, as I'm a software dev by trade.

I imagine a couple people in here are familiar with things like the Obutto R3volution (or it's alternatives)? Does it come recommended for heavy mouse and keyboard use? Do you have other suggestions for that space or am I better just throwing out my current crap desk and trying to find a better solution to bolt a wheel and stick to?
I'm familiar with both the Obutto and GT Omega Pro, and I'd say the Obutto is the much better choice in your case, for the simple reason that it's much easier to remove the wheel clamp section. If you're doing both driving and flight sims, presumably you'll be swapping out the wheel regularly, and it's a complete nightmare on the GT Omega. The pedal mount on is also adjustable, unlike the GT Omega, so easier to get to the bolts if you need to swap between driving and flight pedals.

That said, I don't think the Obutto is particularly great for heavy keyboard and mouse work. Some will swear by it, particularly if the triple screens are going to be very useful for your work, but for simply sitting and typing, a solid chair and table is better, imo.

I'm familiar with both the Obutto and GT Omega Pro, and I'd say the Obutto is the much better choice in your case, for the simple reason that it's much easier to remove the wheel clamp section. If you're doing both driving and flight sims, presumably you'll be swapping out the wheel regularly, and it's a complete nightmare on the GT Omega. The pedal mount on is also adjustable, unlike the GT Omega, so easier to get to the bolts if you need to swap between driving and flight pedals.

That said, I don't think the Obutto is particularly great for heavy keyboard and mouse work. Some will swear by it, particularly if the triple screens are going to be very useful for your work, but for simply sitting and typing, a solid chair and table is better, imo.

Thanks a tonne for this. Hopefully you won't mind if I have further questions.

I currently have dual monitors, and toy with the idea of three on a semi regular basis. My current desk doesn't really have the real estate for more than two without adding far more complicated mounting solutions that would be ugly and problematic. That's been the primary case holding me back from the investment in a third one, to be honest.

The swapping between control devices is, however, a huge boon. That sort of thing is important because I'm picturing myself playing as equal amounts of driving and flight games, and if it's a huge pain in the ass as you make it sound on the Omega, that is probably best avoided.

That said, can you elaborate on what you find problematic about the keyboard and mouse usage? Do those trays not adjust enough to be comfortable/and or have enough resistance to not shift? Is it just the nature of the seat and how you're positioned in it that might cause issues for lengthy typing sessions?

Hey guys.

I looked into this same thing a few months ago, and ultimately decided to rig up a separate apparatus for my sim racing/hotas.

I ended up commandeering an old tube framed desk, made some mods to it, and hard mounted my wheel to it. I made this *triple screen monitor stand from 2x4s, castors, and vesa arms. I also used a separate arm and velcroed a K400 to it. I used some *drill press vice clamps and L brackets for my shifter/hotas. It's all semi-ghetto, but it's perfectly functional, and doesn't look too bad either. I even painted the monitor mount.

*pics aren't mine

I guess more importantly to your question is that I opted not to try and make it my general computing desk as well. Instead I routed all the necessary cabling back to a separate desk with a separate monitor and KB/M. I bought locking castors for my office chair and it does double duty between the desk and rig. Not as good as a fixed seat, but it does the job.

In regards to the Obutto, I looked long and hard at it, and decided it just wasn't going to be good enough as a desk replacement. It's not bad though, but considering the cost, I just wasn't sold. I looked at the GT Omega and rSeat too, but decided if it was only going to be a sim rig, I could do the same for significantly cheaper, which ultimately I did.

The real answer to your question however is that I'd look to to an 80/20 extruded aluminum rig like in the video I posted a couple of posts up. It may not necessarily save you money, but the modularity of 80/20 means you can build exactly what want. You're limited only by your imagination. If you do a search for 80/20 sim rig, you'll find lots of design ideas.

I'm sure you could come up with a good desktop tray design for the 80/20 too, but imo it's still a tough ask to have a setup like that be everything.

Thanks a tonne for this. Hopefully you won't mind if I have further questions.

I currently have dual monitors, and toy with the idea of three on a semi regular basis. My current desk doesn't really have the real estate for more than two without adding far more complicated mounting solutions that would be ugly and problematic. That's been the primary case holding me back from the investment in a third one, to be honest.

The swapping between control devices is, however, a huge boon. That sort of thing is important because I'm picturing myself playing as equal amounts of driving and flight games, and if it's a huge pain in the ass as you make it sound on the Omega, that is probably best avoided.

That said, can you elaborate on what you find problematic about the keyboard and mouse usage? Do those trays not adjust enough to be comfortable/and or have enough resistance to not shift? Is it just the nature of the seat and how you're positioned in it that might cause issues for lengthy typing sessions?
Well to be honest I've not used it at length, I only helped to assemble one. The k&m tray's articulated arm means it's not rock solid like a desk. Not only does it move in the intended manner, but it also flexes up and down. You'll be able to feel that while typing/mousing, which may or may not be a problem.

The other issue, which is not unique to the Obutto, is that the seat is a fair bit lower than a desk chair. If you slide it back you can rest your feet on the floor rather than the pedals, but your knees will still be higher than if you were sitting on a normal chair. You can stretch them out towards the pedals, which is very comfortable of course, but perhaps too comfortable if you're trying to work. YMMV.

In my case, I use a GT Omega Pro:

triple1fraf1.jpg

The thing on the left is a desk, and my PC sits just below there, so it's feeding both the monitors on the rig and a fourth monitor on the desk. I have a more suitable office chair for the desk. I means I can work at my desk and then jump into the rig and start simming within seconds.

Like Big Takeover I have a K400 keyboard/trackpad combo for use while on the rig, and a more comfortable keyboard and mouse on the desk.

Thank you both for this, I really appreciate the input.

I wish I didn't live in an area where I'd have to order these options in, since it'd be nice if there was a place I could actually test 'em out at.

With regards to the tray, the vertical flex is indeed my biggest concern. I don't think there's a way around that with a setup like these though.

The 80/20 rigging is something I'll definitely look into. A very quick google shows a TONNE of potential.

You guys have given me a lot to noodle about. Thank you very much. Perhaps I should focus on the desk component first rather than the cockpit rigging. My current office space would not facilitate both components separately, so maybe I have to give that dream up for right now until I move into a bigger space.

Struggling to enjoy it tbh. The snap oversteer is probably something I can adjust to (or dial out with setup), but I'm not feeling drawn to drive the car for longer, as the engine sound is buzzy and a bit annoying. I think the audio is partly an issue too - it's hard to hear the clarity between your own vehicle and others, making it hard to know when to shift. Interior is a bit lacking in detail, yet it seems to be pretty demanding on performance. I don't feel as connected to the car as ISI's Civic, but perhaps that is just a characteristic of the chassis.

If the car could have the Civic's interior and audio quality, then it would be very good. Because there are a couple of things I prefer to the Civic - the torque steer is less annoying, and the brake lights are actually visible...

[Edit] Just tried the AC version... strangely I prefer the audio in AC, and the snap oversteer is so much less apparent I'm almost wondering if there is an error somewhere. Either that, or it's an extreme showcase of how much more forgiving AC is. I think this might be the first time I prefer the AC version of a car found in both sims, but it's close honestly. The AC version is too far the other way... it seems more intuitive but... more boring.

LilJoka

Struggling to enjoy it tbh. The snap oversteer is probably something I can adjust to (or dial out with setup), but I'm not feeling drawn to drive the car for longer, as the engine sound is buzzy and a bit annoying. I think the audio is partly an issue too - it's hard to hear the clarity between your own vehicle and others, making it hard to know when to shift. Interior is a bit lacking in detail, yet it seems to be pretty demanding on performance. I don't feel as connected to the car as ISI's Civic, but perhaps that is just a characteristic of the chassis.

If the car could have the Civic's interior and audio quality, then it would be very good. Because there are a couple of things I prefer to the Civic - the torque steer is less annoying, and the brake lights are actually visible...

[Edit] Just tried the AC version... strangely I prefer the audio in AC, and the snap oversteer is so much less apparent I'm almost wondering if there is an error somewhere. Either that, or it's an extreme showcase of how much more forgiving AC is. I think this might be the first time I prefer the AC version of a car found in both sims, but it's close honestly. The AC version is too far the other way... it seems more intuitive but... more boring.

Are you driving on optimum track condition in AC, if so, that's why. Try green track condition that is more realistic.

SCE update...

Main changelog for v1.38:

Cars:

Added Super V8 series.

Tracks:

Added Modern Montreal.

Features & fixes:

Minor Jacarepagua Historic LOD fixes;
Updated trackside ads;
Fixed error with 2 F3 talent files;
Adjusted F-Extreme gear & final drive ratios to better match 2015 standards;
Updated off-track & rumblestrip sounds in closed cockpit cars.

Happy the V8SC is in the regular build. Hopefully we'll see more servers running it because it's a blast to drive.

The Velo Cittá circuit, and the Lancer Cup look to be coming to the beta build in the semi-near future. Really stoked for Velo Cittá. Very cool looking track with some great elevation changes. EDIT: Bonus video because I like it, and the guy uses the threat of retinal damage to get his upshifts right. It's not calibrated properly, but he don't give an F.

Just tried rF2's new Audi and here are my impressions:

eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeek eeeeeeeeeeeek eeeeek eeeeeek eeek eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Someone should check this car's brake discs.

Seems that it's a very busy time for rF2, Macau v1.0 has been released and looks pretty decent...

I'm not going to post a link however, as I think it's a conversion, possibly from Race07? A heavily modified conversion, but it's still questionable content.

TJP

Seems that it's a very busy time for rF2, Macau v1.0 has been released and looks pretty decent...

I'm not going to post a link however, as I think it's a conversion, possibly from Race07? A heavily modified conversion, but it's still questionable content.
No comment on the Sector 3 Skype chat; I think it's a Race 07 conversion as it's simple enough to do.

If it appears on Race Department as a download, then I'd believe it's legitimate. Likely to have an ancient road mesh as a lot of these Race/GTR conversions always have.

Likely to have an ancient road mesh as a lot of these Race/GTR conversions always have.
The author made a post on the isi forums today, not mentioning the track, but went through a list of things he expects from track modders. The top of his list was a detailed road mesh, so it might be OK... Still doesn't make the questionable origin of the circuit OK though.

I may give it a drive after finishing The Phantom Pain.

The author made a post on the isi forums today, not mentioning the track, but went through a list of things he expects from track modders. The top of his list was a detailed road mesh, so it might be OK... Still doesn't make the questionable origin of the circuit OK though.

I may give it a drive after finishing The Phantom Pain.
Let us know in a couple of months then!
(This is how long it'll probably take me to 'finish' TPP.)

I drove a single lap off rF2 Macau this morning and it's billiard-table-smooth, which felt peculiar for a street circuit. However, upon driving the same in RRRE moments later, I found that it too had almost no ripples, bumps or lips, so perhaps the rF2 version is realistic. It should be noted that I recently changed some FFB settings and I've not got used to the new feeling just yet.

Do I recommend the circuit? No. It's while good, its questionable origins overshadow what good there is. Oulton Park on the other hand, is of such excellent quality, that I can overlook its ancestry.
marvelharvey said:
Seems that it's a very busy time for rF2
It certainly is young marvelharvey. And now there's more. ISI tweeting updates to Brianza (with terrible jpeg compression)

TxH9ElA.jpg

PfCrays.jpg

C4Ss70S.jpg

That bad huh? :eek:
It's great, but some technical issues marred my enjoyment.

TJP

I see the mod has been removed from Race Department and it's aa conversion from a pretty 2000 sim.

I found another link to it so I'll try it soon.

As for the Macau track, I believe no action will be taken as the R3E version is far superior to that of Race 07 and Sector 3 seem to be 100% focused on their sim and not SimBin's old sims.

On a personal level, I much prefer laser scanned tracks or scratch made tracks uaong alternative methods such as GPS with reference photots and Google Maps over a converted track.

I'm not sure why anyone using AC would prefer track mods from "unknown" sources as most thus far have been crap IMO. Same can be said for the car mods.

TJP

The occasional good circuit slips through the cracks, but yes, every single car conversion ever, for every sim, is just awful.
A few scatch made tracks for AC have been really great; tracks such as Donington, Barbagallo and the Blackwood LFS conversion are the exceptions that prove the rule so to speak. For the former, I've no idea how accurate these are however they've been expertly made.

I need to revisit the suggested car and track lists for both rF2 and AC as I've been underwhelmed with choosing the top rated mods from Race Department with a few notable exceptions.

Soon please.

The C6R has been brought up to spec too:

This update is mostly about bringing in the technology missing from the older version (released at around this time last year), along with a few more minor tweaks. You may now upgrade to our CPM (contact patch model) version of the Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT2 with version 1.62 (below). You’ll also notice updates to wet cooling (which should make slicks more difficult in damp and wets stay alive longer).

TJP

^^
Haha! First thought was Niels from Reiza ;)

I tried the Audi TT - Oh. My. God. The brake noise was horrid so that mod got binned after 10 minutes. I then tried Macau and it's one of the best looking tracks in rF2. I still don't have a clue about its origins - it's certainly been lifted from an isiMotor sim - however it's a blast to drive. Outlon Park was a lot rougher visually however it's a fantastic track.

I see the same modding team have released the BMW M1 Pro Car. Anyone care to chime in on their BTCC cars and whether they're worth downloading.

Top Bottom