• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Good stuff, BL. Makes me want a T500 replacement with a more powerful brushless motor.
Indeed! I think it's time they went up against the CSWv2 with a similar kind of motor.

Another great issue!

Highlights:

• F1 2015 Review (loved the tire physics mini interview)
  • Greger Huttu interview (doesn't appear to have a pretentious bone in his body)
  • iRacing track building tech (Le Mans travel log was great)
  • Sector3 Interview (Some info I hadn't seen before, along with some answers that reinforce a few of my opinions)
  • GTR2 retrospective (love these pieces)
Glad you liked it BT!

Thanks for the reply! I think just the fact that the T500 is the more solid one is making me lean towards it, plus I like the look of the pedals better. Still isn't an easy decision to make; I like the way my G27 'feels' except for the noisy, grindy FFB. It can also feel a little loose at times though which I'm not crazy about.
Yeah it's a tough one. The T300 will feel more like your G27 in terms of subtle feedback, and with the belt drive it doesn't have that grindy noise on the kerbs and doesn't have the slight deadzone 'click-clack' feel in the centre. The T500's heavier internals mean it is even more removed from that, and I think the T500 is quieter overall (during more of the usual steering inputs/outputs) than the T300 too, although I've not measured the dB. If that's not true I can definitely say that the T500 makes the 'better' noise - which contributes to that more solid feel - it just sounds a bit less like a toy. Therefore it would be more of a significant change from the G27, mostly for the better, but not completely. You'll find it feels much more like a real car but at the expensive of some clarity/immediacy. If you really like the directness of the G27, the T300 might be better. I know there are a number of people who prefer the T300/TX to the T500 because of this.

TJP

Read all about it here: http://rfactor.net/web/2015/09/12/nissan-gt-r-gt1-v1-6-now-available/

Changgelog:
– Brand new tyres (CPM).
– Reduced Max steering lock and moved to new steer lock method (as per other newer cars, which attempts to keep your steering ratio correct).
– minor increase in CG.
– Allowing a bit more freedom in anti-roll bar ranges, softened default.
– Slightly less ‘randomness’ in engine lifetime.
– Minor aero tweaks.
– Slower real road rate.
– Recalculated brake system.
– Cleanup of old params and updated others to newest params based on build changes.
– Reduced graphical helmet movement (when looking AT the car)
– added tv style onboard cam,
– Fixed the hood glitch
– updated shaders
– moved the dash sticker up
– added new head light glow
– updated body shaders
– Fixed a bad shadow at the back of the side window
– Newer driver model

I always found the GTR boring, but 20 laps of it around Bathurst was tremendous fun. What percentage of enjoyment came from the car and what percentage from the track remains to be seen though.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This is probably the best thread for this, wife clearance has been granted!

Day one of build, can you guess what it is yet?

:D

6oAaq4S.jpg

Makikou

In approx an hour, the first race of the official Finnish Sim-Racing Championship will begin and it will be broadcasted live on twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/fsrc

Car: RUF RT 12 R Track (GT3)
Track: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Would be great if some of the interested people could tune in! Sadly the broadcast will be in Finnish language but we really need viewers to be able to establish a partnership with Twitch.

There will be such names driving during the season as Greger Huttu & Aleksi Uusi-Jaakkola from Team Redline, Klaus Kivekäs from Coanda Motorsports, Riku Alatalo, Joni Hagner etc. from Glacier Racing and many more!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Congrats on the wife clearance - major hurdle overcome.

One of these perhaps?

Edit: Any excuse to post my rig, sorry.

Dang! - Nice build!

Mine won't quite be that big, mines going to be a slightly modified version of the deathmobile build from isrtv.com, pretty close to this, but with modifications to add a TV / Monitor stand, and keyboard tray:

Tj1nzUH.jpg

You know, wife clearance took nearly 3 years haha, and I'm still not entirely sure what it's going to cost me on that front.

Dang! - Nice build!

Mine won't quite be that big, mines going to be a slightly modified version of the deathmobile build from isrtv.com, pretty close to this, but with modifications to add a TV / Monitor stand, and keyboard tray:

Tj1nzUH.jpg

Thank you. The deathmobile is a solid build and if you haven't had a rig before, it'll add so much more to the experience - exciting times no doubt :) Good luck with the project!

Is it ok to throw salt in your general direction?

Please do :) I need to replenish the salt I lost in the 350 hours sweating to build it.

Osiris

Thank you. The deathmobile is a solid build and if you haven't had a rig before, it'll add so much more to the experience - exciting times no doubt :) Good luck with the project!

Cheers :)

I've had various wheel stands before (Speed Black, Ultimate Wheel Stand etc.) but I wanted to move to a dual spar set-up, saw a video of the dual spar GT Omega Wheelstand and it still had far too much play in it for my liking, saw the deathmobile video and the footage of the results and thought "Yep! - That's the one".

Spladam

This is probably the best thread for this, wife clearance has been granted!

Day one of build, can you guess what it is yet?

:D

6oAaq4S.jpg

Wait wait, I know, it's a rectangle.

Sad things is all you have is four pieces of wood so far and I'm already jealous, good luck with the build, we want to see what kind of killer rectangle you have when you're done.

Are you including any kind of sub-woofer force feedback?

Osiris

Wait wait, I know, it's a rectangle.

Sad things is all you have is four pieces of wood so far and I'm already jealous, good luck with the build, we want to see what kind of killer rectangle you have when you're done.

Are you including any kind of sub-woofer force feedback?

I have a lot more 2x3 and 2x4 wood sitting ready unpictured, most of it cut to the correct sizes for the build, and a really clean and tidy seat from a Vauxhall Corsa arriving tomorrow. (£25, bargain!). The slow progress is due to the glue I'm using having both ridiculous strength but a severe drying time. (24 hours), so It's a matter of doing a few joins a day and waiting unfortunately.

If the build is as solid as I hope, then I'll put a buttkicker in the seat without question, but I'm not going the motion / actuator route, that wouldn't be wise on a wooden rig. :p

Following good advice from someone else who has made a Deathmobile I have given up plans to include a TV / Monitor stand, and will build a seperate, correct height TV / Monitor table that straddles the end of the rig instead, both insulating the display from any shaking from overvigourous use and also leaving the rig as fairly display-tech neutral.

The Corsa seat will get replaced with a Sparco/Corbeau/OMP bucket seat once I can find one that has expired it's FIA certification, as they can be had very (relatively) cheaply once this occurs.

Spladam

I have a lot more 2x3 and 2x4 wood sitting ready unpictured, most of it cut to the correct sizes for the build, and a really clean and tidy seat from a Vauxhall Corsa arriving tomorrow. (£25, bargain!). The slow progress is due to the glue I'm using having both ridiculous strength but a severe drying time. (24 hours), so It's a matter of doing a few joins a day and waiting unfortunately.

If the build is as solid as I hope, then I'll put a buttkicker in the seat without question, but I'm not going the motion / actuator route, that wouldn't be wise on a wooden rig. :p

Following good advice from someone else who has made a Deathmobile I have given up plans to include a TV / Monitor stand, and will build a seperate, correct height TV / Monitor table that straddles the end of the rig instead, both insulating the display from any shaking from overvigourous use and also leaving the rig as fairly display-tech neutral.

The Corsa seat will get replaced with a Sparco/Corbeau/OMP bucket seat once I can find one that has expired it's FIA certification, as they can be had very (relatively) cheaply once this occurs.

Yeah, when I saw the vice, I knew you had a whole lot of drying time ahead of you. The motion actuator things is a bit over-the-top and not very practical for a home system in my opinion, as it would seem to lead to un-needed complexity and future maintenance, with disproportionate pay-off considering, and I would see myself turning it off when I just wanted to relax and race.

I think going with the separate monitor housing is a smart move as well, as it leaves you much flexibility in your FOV setup and the option for upgrading to anything you wanted in the future (like large curved HD display or bevel-removed triple monitors), which allow you to adjust your FOV set-up to your liking. Like you said, it also allows you to stabilize it for a shake free experience, which is something that I could not help but notice in my buddies all-in-one setup with attached forward monitor housing. His set-up had the monitor a little to close for my liking as well, which is another thing you'll be free to adjust.

Sounds like you have some serious pay-off for your patience though, and some killer home racing ahead of you. Might even have a beneficial affect on your lap-times! hahaha Good luck with the project.

Osiris

Sounds like you have some serious pay-off for your patience though, and some killer home racing ahead of you. Might even have a beneficial affect on your lap-times! hahaha Good luck with the project.

That's actually the prime motivator, one thing I've realised over all the set-ups I've had before is the lack of consistency in seating and display position has a major negative effect on driving and racing consistency, try it yourself, run a few laps until comfortable with the track at speed, then move your seating position back or forward a few inches and try running laps again, you will find depending on which way you moved you'll either turn in earlier than optimal and need to compensate, or will miss your apexes until you are once again comfortable with your new position. (This is why changing FoV in racing sims has the same effect, the subtle clues you rely on change enough to negatively effect perfomance until the new setting is adjusted to).

If you want competitive consistency then removing those variables by moving to a fixed rig is probably one of the biggest upgrades you can make to your setup.

There is also the endurance factor too. I can drive a real car for hours on end without getting too uncomfortable, I can't say the same for any of the desk / wheelstand set-ups I've had in the past, using a seat that was designed for driving by automotive experts rather than having to arrange multiple cushions to approximate a comfortable driving position seems like a no-brainer. :)

Mascot

One of these perhaps?

I remember following your R-POD build progress with interest and admiration somewhere - was it on http://www.thewayiplay.com/?

Your attention to detail and design aesthetic (I used to be an industrial designer) are absolutely first class. Excellent stuff. Any more projects we should know about?

Dave_6

Yeah it's a tough one. The T300 will feel more like your G27 in terms of subtle feedback, and with the belt drive it doesn't have that grindy noise on the kerbs and doesn't have the slight deadzone 'click-clack' feel in the centre. The T500's heavier internals mean it is even more removed from that, and I think the T500 is quieter overall (during more of the usual steering inputs/outputs) than the T300 too, although I've not measured the dB. If that's not true I can definitely say that the T500 makes the 'better' noise - which contributes to that more solid feel - it just sounds a bit less like a toy. Therefore it would be more of a significant change from the G27, mostly for the better, but not completely. You'll find it feels much more like a real car but at the expensive of some clarity/immediacy. If you really like the directness of the G27, the T300 might be better. I know there are a number of people who prefer the T300/TX to the T500 because of this.

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate your knowledge of this stuff more than I can say. I just now found out about the TX; pretty much the same thing as the T300? It caught my eye cause it will work with the Xbox One and I've kind of been wanting to get a wheel for Forza 6. Been using a wheel for my PC and I can barely drive with a controller on the consoles now.

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate your knowledge of this stuff more than I can say. I just now found out about the TX; pretty much the same thing as the T300? It caught my eye cause it will work with the Xbox One and I've kind of been wanting to get a wheel for Forza 6. Been using a wheel for my PC and I can barely drive with a controller on the consoles now.

The TX has the same base and pedals as the T300, with a worse rim (hence $100 cheaper).

The TX has a new package too like the one I mentioned on the last page for the T300. TX base, T3PA pedals, but the smaller diameter leather rim instead of the alcantara one for the T300. Same $470 (preorder).

They've actually got an even more comprehensive package as well with the T3PA pros, and the TH8A shifter. $679 (out of stock).

I remember following your R-POD build progress with interest and admiration somewhere - was it on http://www.thewayiplay.com/?

Your attention to detail and design aesthetic (I used to be an industrial designer) are absolutely first class. Excellent stuff. Any more projects we should know about?

Thank you and you recall correctly about the build log - I did post it in a couple of other forums also.

Project-wise, here are some more:

More detailed pictures can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/KJfcr

Yep, the T300 or T500 are good for PS4 and PC whereas the TX is what you need for Xbox One and PC.

The TX has the same base and pedals as the T300, with a worse rim (hence $100 cheaper).
Not quite - the T300 has 1080 degrees of rotation like the T500, whereas the TX stops at 900 (and has the fairly redundant Kinect IR blaster at the top). But the motor and mechanism is the same. The pedal faces are different - the TX's aren't adjustable like the T300's. Both pedals sets are equally mediocre though.

Not quite - the T300 has 1080 degrees of rotation like the T500, whereas the TX stops at 900 (and has the fairly redundant Kinect IR blaster at the top). But the motor and mechanism is the same. The pedal faces are different - the TX's aren't adjustable like the T300's. Both pedals sets are equally mediocre though.

Oh, jeez. I had no idea. Especially the rotation.

Shaneus

Thank you and you recall correctly about the build log - I did post it in a couple of other forums also.

Project-wise, here are some more:

More detailed pictures can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/KJfcr
Oh, you built that arcade cabinet! God damn, your work is insane. I'd totally ask about commissioning you to make something for me, but I'd wager you're not in Australia and would cost a bomb.

Osiris

Not an entirely productive day today, woke up with a rotten, properly wet cold. :(

I still managed to move forward on a few pieces, firstly I decided to tackle the seat mounting, the mounting on the original Deathmobile plans looked a little underengineered to me, and I want a solid, overengineeed monster, even if it does end up weighing as much as a small car, I can always knock up a dolly tray or two with some castors.

So rather than just using four pieces of 2x4 as the supports, I decided to double them up, and used two 16cm 2x4 pieces, glued and screwed together to provide a more stable platform for the seat:

LvfdhML.jpg

You can see how they support the seat platform here, along with some cross support struts that will fix them in place horizontally:

cGIR5f1.jpg

I decided to lay out the pieces to see if I could spot any issues with the mock-up:

RhqnZq3.jpg

That's when it hit me that I'd made a fairly major mistake, for my original outer rectangle frame I used 2x3 instead of 2x4, when I looked at the contact patch between the steering support uprights and the bottom frame I knew that this was not going to work as well as I liked, the contact patch was too small to provide the rigidity I was looking for, that extra 1"x2" of contact & screwing space was more significant than I had realised.

So tomorrow it's back to the timber supplier for some more 2x4 to redo this outer frame.

It wasn't all bad news though, my ebay gamble on the seat paid off massively, it was delivered and in absolutely brilliant condition and included the rail sliders that I feared I'd have to source seperately, in fact it looked like it had come out of a new car:

ZFJRoUG.jpg

£25!!!

The seat sliders did bring along their own issue though, I'd assumed that the rails would be flat and it'd be an easy job to just fix them to the seat platform, not so, they have a metal protusion at the end:

f7JFphI.jpg

The choices were cut it off, a quick job that might damage the rails, leave the seat slightly inclined, or I would have to find a more elegant solution, so I found just that:

0Jl6Yuw.jpg

I made a template that would allow me to mark and cut out the relevant part of the seat platform, leaving the seat flat and in one piece:

oHoXCjF.jpg

Plenty of work still to go, I imagine I'll probably overengineer the steering support uprights too, but if I'm going to do this, I'd prefer to do it once. :)

Osiris

Image tags not working properly, Osiris... needs to go from this:

to this:
http://i.imgur.com/LvfdhML.jpg[/ img] (remove the space in the closing tag) :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah cheers, damn cold is frying my brain, fixed, TY :D

Omaer

Banned
I have played with Asseto Corsa, Projects Cars, Gran Turismo, Tourist Trophy, & NFS Shift. Lots of great choices in the OP/OT.

DD

I have played with Asseto Corsa, Projects Cars, Gran Turismo, Tourist Trophy, & NFS Shift. Lots of great choices in the OP/OT.

Speaking of it, I believe that Dirt Rally deserves a place in there. What do you guys think about this?

Omaer

Banned
Speaking of it, I believe that Dirt Rally deserves a place in there. What do you guys think about this?

I haven't played dirt rally sufficiently enough to have a valid opinion at the moment. Although atv offroad fury is good.

Ark

I kinda do the same. I'll go a few months without touching my sim gear, but then one day I'll do nothing but sim racing for like a solid month. I've been back on iRacing for a year and a half and I've only completed one full season :lol.

I might have to go back to driving the C-Spec. I miss that car.

Osiris

What does 'guest' mean under Vennt's name?
(I assume you are Vennt?)

Answered via PM as kinda offtopic. :)

Yes, That was me.

I kinda do the same. I'll go a few months without touching my sim gear, but then one day I'll do nothing but sim racing for like a solid month. I've been back on iRacing for a year and a half and I've only completed one full season :lol.

I might have to go back to driving the C-Spec. I miss that car.

The only cars I really miss from iRacing are the Skippy and the SCCA Spec Racer.

There's a character to the BAC Mono in Project Cars that kinda gives me the same feeling of raw fun the Spec Racer did.

Freshened up the OP a little.

Dirt Rally; I need my Mac back (will be fixed when I get around to it) so I can access Photoshop, and the font I used for the sim titles. DR gets a jank placeholder in the meantime.

Ark

Freshened up the OP a little.

Dirt Rally; I need my Mac back (will be fixed when I get around to it) so I can access Photoshop, and the font I used for the sim titles. DR gets a jank placeholder in the meantime.

Awesome to see the McLaren skin I made in the OT :D

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new Corvette DP on iRacing yet? I watched some of a video on the way to work this morning and it looked quite fun. I'll have to try it out sometime this season. Probably when the 'Ring finally releases.

Awesome to see the McLaren skin I made in the OT :D

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new Corvette DP on iRacing yet? I watched some of a video on the way to work this morning and it looked quite fun. I'll have to try it out sometime this season. Probably when the 'Ring finally releases.

It had to be in there!

I picked it up, but have yet to race it. Just did a few open practices to check it out. Itttttt's OK. When the downforce is off it can be temperamental, and when it's on, it's a slot car. Expected, but maybe not to the degree that it is. The baseline set had a bunch of understeer in it at the tracks I tried, but I'm sure that can be dialed out. Slow speed can be worked on too of course.

I just wasn't as engaged as I hoped I would be, but that can turn around quickly with a different setup.

Spladam

One of these perhaps?

I'd post that monster all over the internet myself if I had built a project like that. It's just so clean and mean in every way, nice lines and design, and obviously built with love. I had to post just to say, amazing work sir.

DD

Guys, I asked this on the Dirt Rally thread, but it seems dead, unfortunately. So I'll ask here and see if anyone can help me. Here's the problem: I'm using a FWD Seat Ibiza in a championship, and this car has this problem that makes it lose the rear under heavy braking, at any input I make with the steering (I'm using a Xbox 360 pad) when I'm driving on asphalt. I tried moving the brake power two clicks to the rear, but that didn't help. Is there something I could do with the suspensions or anything else that could eliminate this problem?

Guys, I asked this on the Dirt Rally thread, but it seems dead, unfortunately. So I'll ask here and see if anyone can help me. Here's the problem: I'm using a FWD Seat Ibiza in a championship, and this car has this problem that makes it lose the rear under heavy braking, at any input I make with the steering (I'm using a Xbox 360 pad) when I'm driving on asphalt. I tried moving the brake power two clicks to the rear, but that didn't help. Is there something I could do with the suspensions or anything else that could eliminate this problem?
You've moved the brake bias the wrong way - try one click to the front from default. I just gave it try - two clicks forward is probably too much as you're in danger of locking the fronts (assuming you're not using ABS). One click forward made it much better. The rear also seems unstable through high speed corners - I'd suggest going into the advanced settings on the rear suspension and giving it a weaker anti-roll bar.

DD

You've moved the brake bias the wrong way - try one click to the front from default. I just gave it try - two clicks forward is probably too much as you're in danger of locking the fronts (assuming you're not using ABS). One click forward made it much better. The rear also seems unstable through high speed corners - I'd suggest going into the advanced settings on the rear suspension and giving it a weaker anti-roll bar.

Yeah, I know it's counterintuitive to move the brake bias to the rear, but I thought that that would make the front and the rear of the car to "communicate" better than the way it was before. I usually use the default setups, since I don't understand much about all that stuff, but I'll certainly try this anti-roll bar thing when I get home. Thanks, Betta!

Top Bottom