• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I'd post that monster all over the internet myself if I had built a project like that. It's just so clean and mean in every way, nice lines and design, and obviously built with love. I had to post just to say, amazing work sir.

Thanks for that, it's very much appreciated!

On another note, Spa-Francorchamps has been released for R3E if interested.

You've moved the brake bias the wrong way - try one click to the front from default. I just gave it try - two clicks forward is probably too much as you're in danger of locking the fronts (assuming you're not using ABS). One click forward made it much better. The rear also seems unstable through high speed corners - I'd suggest going into the advanced settings on the rear suspension and giving it a weaker anti-roll bar.

The diff doesn't have multiple settings in DR, does it? It's probably just power. An increase in coast is what you'd like to have here (after BB).

Thanks for that, it's very much appreciated!

On another note, Spa-Francorchamps has been released for R3E if interested.

Launch video

I'm going to wait for the physics update first.

DD

The diff doesn't have multiple settings in DR, does it? It's probably just power. An increase in coast is what you'd like to have here (after BB).
Really? I though that the differential only affected the acceleration of the car. Man, this is complex, haha. How does it affect the car under braking?

Really? I though that the differential only affected the acceleration of the car. Man, this is complex, haha. How does it affect the car under braking?

In the coast phase, it's how much the wheels turn independently of each other when you're off throttle, ie under braking (straight line braking is obviously unimportant to this process) and turn-in to apex. If the wheels spin too independently, you turn in too easily, and you'll get snap oversteer on turn-in. Too similar, and you'll get understeer as the outside wheel is limited by the turning speed of the inside wheel.

Yeah, I know it's counterintuitive to move the brake bias to the rear, but I thought that that would make the front and the rear of the car to "communicate" better than the way it was before. I usually use the default setups, since I don't understand much about all that stuff, but I'll certainly try this anti-roll bar thing when I get home. Thanks, Betta!
More brake pressure to the rear can be beneficial for more effective straight-line braking, and having to go too front-biased could be an indication that the rest of the setup is not right, but in this case a single click forward is all it needs, imo. If you change a whole bunch of other settings that induce more understeer, it's possible to bring the BB backwards, but I don't really see much benefit.

It does, there is a coast setting, called 'LSD Braking Lock'. It may have a small effect on stability but not something I could detect easily on a gamepad.

DD

In the coast phase, it's how much the wheels turn independently of each other when you're off throttle, ie under braking (straight line braking is obviously unimportant to this process) and turn-in to apex. If the wheels spin too independently, you turn in too easily, and you'll get snap oversteer on turn-in. Too similar, and you'll get understeer as the outside wheel is limited by the turning speed of the inside wheel.
Hmm, I see. But I'm not sure if thats the problem though. It's based on feeling, and I feel that its like the rear gets too light when I brake hard, and simply detaches from the asphalt (lose grip) and gets all happy. The front of the car feels fine, but maybe one imperceptible problem leads to another. I'll take a look at it. Thanks, Big Takeover! :)

More brake pressure to the rear can be beneficial for more effective straight-line braking, and having to go too front-biased could be an indication that the rest of the setup is not right, but in this case a single click forward is all it needs, imo. If you change a whole bunch of other settings that induce more understeer, it's possible to bring the BB backwards, but I don't really see much benefit.

It does, there is a coast setting, called 'LSD Braking Lock'. It may have a small effect on stability but not something I could detect easily on a gamepad.

But pushing the braking bias more to the front wouldn't make the rear even more loose in this case?

Thanks again, guys! :>

Hmm, I see. But I'm not sure if thats the problem though. It's based on feeling, and I feel that its like the rear gets too light when I brake hard, and simply detaches from the asphalt (lose grip) and gets all happy. The front of the car feels fine, but maybe one imperceptible problem leads to another. I'll take a look at it. Thanks, Big Takeover! :)

Gotcha. Yeah, that's textbook damper issues. Try stiffening the front, and softening the rear.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Still ill but had a moderately productive day, got the seat platform finished and in place, when I did a mock-up with the seat included I found my seat height was about 2.5cm too low, It might not sound a lot but it has an effect on pedal reach and leg angle so I added a 2.5cm square of timber to the top of each of the four seat platform risers, it has uglyfied some of the clean lines but it's solid and the right height now and the uglyness will be hidden by MDF panels at the end anyway. Still to do with the seat are to install the cross spars underneath to bolster the already solid seating.

0rShFle.jpg

Things I learned today, firstly I hate knots, I didn't realise they could be such trouble, with the CLS timber I'm using the knots are so solid that I actually broke a 4mm drill bit on one, forget driling through them, forget chiselling them, forget screwing through them, just avoid them even if it means a slightly less than optimal screw position.

The second thing I learned was that the adage of "measure twice, cut once" is not enough on a build like this, a more useful version of "measure twice, test, evaluate, measure again then cut" seems to be the order of the day. :p

I also started the first of the steering spars, I'm double bracing these, and quite like the look it gives, the two angle struts are of different size to optimize the getting in / out space, but should still offer more support than a single angle strut:

970GcWx.jpg

I borrowed my brothers adjustable wheel stand to find the ideal steering spar position, this helped a lot.

Tomorrow I'll complete this one and start on assembling the second, the pieces for it are already cut.

After that it's just the steering platform that will span the spars, and the pedal deck to go, paint and carpet and then I'll start thinking about the TV / Monitor stand.

Total cost so far is about £50, I can see the materials to finish up being about another £15 to £20 max so other than my time this has been a pretty cheap build.

DD

Got a little bit of understeer but the rear is more well mannered. :>

Thanks again, Betta Lines and Big Takeover!

But pushing the braking bias more to the front wouldn't make the rear even more loose in this case?
No, pushing it to the front means that you're more likely to lock the fronts before the rears. By putting it two clicks back as you described, you're giving yourself very snatchy rear brakes, effectively like pulling the handbrake each time you touch the pedal.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Didn't get a lot done today, a combination of waiting on glue drying and work commitments keeping me busy.

I did manage to start the steering strut laterals, which will reduce any side-to-side movement of the steering support.

pzpyEUt.jpg

It needs a bit of a sanding yet for a flush fit, but I prefer the idea of using more angled struts like this rather than a legroom reducing cross brace.

MDF work will start soon too, still have to find a cheap supplier, probably will use 18mm for the floor deck and the side panels to go around the seat support.

TJP

Stock Car Extreme:

VIR is your community chosen bonus track. Should be out before the end of the year.
Interesting track but not what I was hoping for.

Personally I think it sucks the Aussie V8's don't have one Reiza made track to race around; it feels like Forza 4 all over again!

The converted Aussie tracks are solid - SCE's conversion guru Patrick has done a wonderful job - however they fall short when compared to the Reiza tracks. Several are inaccurate such as Phillip Island or ugly (e.g. Barbagallo) because it was the person who first made them was still learning how to create tracks and these issues are carried over to SCE. The curbs at the two tracks I've mentioned give me headaches because of the colour and odd lighting I see (may be due to using level 4 in-game AA BTW).

New poll about a bonus car has been added: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/bonus-car-nomination-thread-no-discussion.111154/

mrsmr2

Here's a bit of a shock. For the first time ever I felt front grip loss in AC with my g27.

Best example is the LaF at Nords, street tyres and max front camber. Could feel undulations in the road and grip lessening at the front when cornering. It's subtle but definitely there. Maclaren F1 and Huayra had similar feel, although a bit less clear.

GT20 had no feel of grip loss and the Lotii were are poor as ever.

Still nowhere near rF2 levels of immersion but the LaF is a credible alternative.

Didn't get a lot done today, a combination of waiting on glue drying and work commitments keeping me busy.

I did manage to start the steering strut laterals, which will reduce any side-to-side movement of the steering support.

It needs a bit of a sanding yet for a flush fit, but I prefer the idea of using more angled struts like this rather than a legroom reducing cross brace.

MDF work will start soon too, still have to find a cheap supplier, probably will use 18mm for the floor deck and the side panels to go around the seat support.

Looks like it's coming along very nicely!

Interesting track but not what I was hoping for.

Personally I think it sucks the Aussie V8's don't have one Reiza made track to race around; it feels like Forza 4 all over again!

:D

The V8Sc is the first car they've made that didn't have any roughly corresponding track(s) released around the same time. I wish they would have made one independent of the voting. That said, VIR will make for a hell of a track to race V8SCs on!

The converted Aussie tracks are solid - SCE's conversion guru Patrick has done a wonderful job - however they fall short when compared to the Reiza tracks. Several are inaccurate such as Phillip Island or ugly (e.g. Barbagallo) because it was the person who first made them was still learning how to create tracks and these issues are carried over to SCE. The curbs at the two tracks I've mentioned give me headaches because of the colour and odd lighting I see (may be due to using level 4 in-game AA BTW).

This guy is doing a great job of curating his tracks. Constantly updating. He's got a pretty nice Barber too.

We'll see how this goes... There are a few pretty good suggestions already actually. I'd happily take Wakenshaw's XJ-S. Love that video!

Here is the latest picture from the ISI Track team..

Oh, man. I was hoping they'd freshen this up. Nice.

Osiris

The rig is finished! (except sanding and cosmetics like paint etc).

Update and pics later when phone is charged.

6 days, £75 total cost, and about 20 hours labour to build, pretty damn pleased. :)

Osiris

With the MDF arriving this morning I got to work immediately on finishing up, starting with the steering wheel shelf, making this strong enough was a simple case of getting the bracing right so the shelf could be open on one edge but still strengthened, this is the underneath of the shelf with the bracing visible:

vcucCA3.jpg

After this was made it was a simple task of putting on the flooring panels, and the panels around the seat box.

By this point the rig had got heavy, heavy enough to be a two person job moving it and that wasn't going to be practical, I didn't want to put it on casters as the rigidity and strength of the build is largely dependant on all the stress points being flat on the ground, castors would compromise this so I made up a couples of dollys:

abaRKf2.jpg

An easy job for one person to lift the front and back and slide the dollys underneath, the weight of the rig keeps them flat and allows you to use two small dollys like this rather than a larger solution:

xJkDLeX.jpg

So, other than a bit of sanding, paint, and a bit of carpeting, it's done.

I've already tested it out, it is Solid with a bold, capital S, no shake, no side to side lateral movement, nothing.

Very, very pleased with the result, and it will only get better with a few cosmetic touches :D

CFADSFb.jpg

Almost a shame to stick a T80 on it heh, but in time I'll put something better on it, thinking either G29 or T300RS now.

Great job @Osiris, looks extremely sturdy. This is going to multiply your enjoyment by a factor of 10 I'm sure!

Also, very impressed with the speed at which you put this together. Congratulations :)

Mascot

Nice job Osiris! You can't beat the feeling of having a rock-solid relationship between seat, wheel and pedals. It makes a world of difference.

In case anyone else is looking for a quick and easy budget solution, below are some potato-cam photos of my old ghetto rig (you can tell how old by the mounted Microsoft FFB wheel..!) that I recently dug out for someone. I'm lucky enough to have a 'proper' cockpit in a dedicated room now but this little table was ideal for sofa gaming. The whole thing was made from scrap bits being thrown out at my old place of work so didn't cost me a penny. The legs are height-adjustable counter top supports and simply thread on to hard-mounted brackets, so the whole thing can be put together/stripped down in a couple of minutes and stored relatively flat. The pedal board has adjustment fore/aft depending where the legs are dropped in, which also locks the whole thing together. It worked like a charm.

Osiris

Great job @Osiris, looks extremely sturdy. This is going to multiply your enjoyment by a factor of 10 I'm sure!

Also, very impressed with the speed at which you put this together. Congratulations :)

I didn't have a choice, the clock was ticking the moment I told the wife that I needed to takeover the dining room as a workshop for a week or two, not an easy ask in a family house. :D

When do we start placing orders ?��

If my hourly rate didn't bankcrupt you, the delivery costs would! :p

Nice job Osiris! You can't beat the feeling of having a rock-solid relationship between seat, wheel and pedals. It makes a world of difference.

Yep, my 3 hour testing session last night attested to that, the consitency in driving position really helps and my back is thanking me today. :)

I recognise that pic, it's certainly one I've seen somewhere in the past, was impressed with the ingenuity of the pedal board adjustability! :)

Hyped! Looks very authentic.

R3E's Nordschleife looks good as well. I'm sure most interested parties have seen the iRacing wip Ring too. They still have art assets that need placement (more trees for one), but it's coming along very nicely.

Renato posted a wip change log for the next Stock Car Extreme backer beta. It's the start of the creature comfort improvements that the full license allows them to do. Should be coming pretty soon.

paskowitz

Hyped! Looks very authentic.

R3E's Nordschleife looks good as well. I'm sure most interested parties have seen the iRacing wip Ring too. They still have art assets that need placement (more trees for one), but it's coming along very nicely.

Renato posted a wip change log for the next Stock Car Extreme backer beta. It's the start of the creature comfort improvements that the full license allows them to do. Should be coming pretty soon.

That guy has definitely been around The Ring a few times.

TJP

Great change list! I'm glad to see Reiza have done a job ISI should have already done and replaced the largely meaningless AI aggression percentage with a 4 level approach (low-to-max with low being 10%, max 50%).

One of the issues I have with rF2 is the AI aggression. The default 25% means SFA to those outside of ISI and we've not been informed that moving off this level causes all kinds of AI chaos on non-oval courses. I recall Gamer Muscle getting shitcanned for daring to move off the default settings in his Bathurst video - even Tim Weatley had a go at him for doing this.

Good to see the company responsible for laser scanning the Nurburgring has managed to sell the data to the dev teams who were interested in including it into their respective sims.

Great change list! I'm glad to see Reiza have done a job ISI should have already done and replaced the largely meaningless AI aggression percentage with a 4 level approach (low-to-max with low being 10%, max 50%).

One of the issues I have with rF2 is the AI aggression. The default 25% means SFA to those outside of ISI and we've not been informed that moving off this level causes all kinds of AI chaos on non-oval courses. I recall Gamer Muscle getting shitcanned for daring to move off the default settings in his Bathurst video - even Tim Weatley had a go at him for doing this.

Yeah, compressing it like that is smart. De-gMotoring all this kind of stuff will be great for the sim.

Can't wait! Just hoping Patrick Girauthon (?) adds this support to the C.A.R.T Extreme mod

I'm sure it will just be an .ini lookup, so we should be able to add our own support to mods.

Shaneus

I wonder if the extra access to the engine funded by IGG has contributed to the game looking better, particularly in that Lancer video. Reiza are wizards.

Mascot

Re recent traffic in this thread: is there a dedicated racing cockpit thread on GAF? If not then one is long overdue. It'd be great to show existing GAF rigs and builds in progress, and to swap tips and advice for anyone about to jump in.

Dave_6

I can't get my SCE Beta to launch anymore. Just hangs on the black screen and I have to run task manager to close it.

Top Bottom