• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I can't get my SCE Beta to launch anymore. Just hangs on the black screen and I have to run task manager to close it.

I think I've seen this before at some point. Try adding a "backup" or an underscore to d3d9.dll in the root SCE beta folder (d3d9backup.dll). It won't load the mini-map any more, but chances are you didn't like the damn thing anyway ;-)

Dave_6

I think I've seen this before at some point. Try adding a "backup" or an underscore to d3d9.dll in the root SCE beta folder (d3d9backup.dll). It won't load the mini-map any more, but chances are you didn't like the damn thing anyway ;-)

It was fine before they updated it. I'll try that though, thanks.

TJP

Oh noes, what will PC racing sim fans be able to play now that rF2 is coming to Steam? If Grand Prix Legends comes out on Steam, they'll be fucked.
Ha! rF2 may look old but it has all the 'real' features most other sims don't have (either partially finished or only just released) so no need for the GPL comment ;)

Personally I think it's a great move by ISI to get onto Steam. ISI will likely have the unlimited demo as well as their 7 day refund period which no one else in sim racing does.

Shaneus

Ha! rF2 may look old but it has all the 'real' features most other sims don't have (either partially finished or only just released) so no need for the GPL comment ;)

Personally I think it's a great move by ISI to get onto Steam. ISI will likely have the unlimited demo as well as their 7 day refund period which no one else in sim racing does.
I was being facetious, parodying all the losers who think Steam is the worst thing ever for simracers :)

Great news about Steam, BUT I really hope they add a Very Advanced Options page (or 10 for that matter), for all the tweaking that's possible. Whilst editing a .txt file is OK for the hardcore user, editing a .MAS file will be unacceptable for most Steam users.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's what you need to do if you want to change the pacecar:

1) find .MAS file
2) open .MAS file with MAS editor
3) drag the file you want to edit onto the desktop
4) open file in text editor
5) find the exact file name of the pacecar you want. Not the .rfcmp file that you have, the file name the game uses (this takes me a good few minutes sometimes)
6) change the 'pacecar' line to the new name
7) save the file
8) drag file back into the MAS editor window
9) save MAS file

Seriously, just to change the pacecar.

TJP

Great news about Steam, BUT I really hope they add a Very Advanced Options page (or 10 for that matter), for all the tweaking that's possible. Whilst editing a .txt file is OK for the hardcore user, editing a .MAS file will be unacceptable for most Steam users.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's what you need to do if you want to change the pacecar:

1) find .MAS file
2) open .MAS file with MAS editor
3) drag the file you want to edit onto the desktop
4) open file in text editor
5) find the exact file name of the pacecar you want. Not the .rfcmp file that you have, the file name the game uses (this takes me a good few minutes sometimes)
6) change the 'pacecar' line to the new name
7) save the file
8) drag file back into the MAS editor window
9) save MAS file

Seriously, just to change the pacecar.
Hehehe.. toughen up princess 8-P

I'm presuming your delve into the .MAS file was a result of the yellow flag AI mayhem? To be fair to marvelharvey, rF2 is often anachronistic in just about every respect;

• archaic, multiple step process to install and remove mods. ISI have never heard of drag and drop installs..
  • multiple steps to create and/or revamp mods that are far greater in number than the processes required for rFactor.
  • 'meh' level graphics and sounds although both aspects are getting better.
  • broken rfcmp skin pack files with latest build. ISI often forget to inform modders and their community when a new build breaks things.
  • downloading mods via the website through a third party service (Mediafire) which looks a little naff.
  • mip mapping fiasco only fixed after a stink on the ISI forums.
  • time taken to get an official response on how AA works and the true meaning of each in-game level.
  • not touching the AI aggression percentage when racing on non-oval courses after GamerMuscle video at Bathurst upsets ISI and some of the more extreme fanboys. It is not noted anywhere the AI should remain at 25%
  • rain tyres still FUBAR'd
  • tin-top cars don't have functioning wipers or rain on windshields
  • the complete lack of a decent FAQ and/or userguide
Thankfully the features (wet weather aside), physics and FFB are the best available as I'd have given up ages ago on rF2. All in all rF2 is like a vintage car - often a pain in the arse to maintain but sublime fun when driving.

Dave_6

Finally tried this and it still won't launch. Just goes to the black screen and stays there. Any ideas?

Finally tried this and it still won't launch. Just goes to the black screen and stays there. Any ideas?

Perhaps caused by a mod? Do you have any installed that added a menu screen like a few of them do (some of the Porsche ones come to mind)?

You can try fixing it by diagnosing the problem like this (protip: search for rFactor when trying to fix GSC problems), or blow away your install (delete profile etc), and start from scratch (keep mod tracks).

I tried the stock cars, and they showed promise. It's still early however. There's plenty of more work to do. Notably the AI, which was mentioned as unfinished.

Faux Charlotte and Daytona were both way too bumpy though, which was a bit of a shock (get it? sorry). Car handling seemed OK, but neither of those are what I'd call handling tracks. I need to try Indy which should be a better test, as well as start playing with the setup. There are a bunch of car configs covering all the various track styles which is nice. I didn't do any long runs to be able to make any judgment on tires.

I did race the Cup cars at Poznan however, and that was total a blast. I'll happily road race them until things get cleaned up.

I tried the stock cars, and they showed promise. It's still early however. There's plenty of more work to do. Notably the AI, which was mentioned as unfinished.
I won't have time for a proper drive until next week, but I just squeezed in 5 laps. While it wasn't really enough to comment on the handling, my concern is the engine sfx. By lap 3, I was already finding it repetitive and could clearly identify the audio loop. Actually, I think their sound tech needs an overhaul anyway, as reverb seems to have gone missing.

Dave_6

Perhaps caused by a mod? Do you have any installed that added a menu screen like a few of them do (some of the Porsche ones come to mind)?

You can try fixing it by diagnosing the problem like this (protip: search for rFactor when trying to fix GSC problems), or blow away your install (delete profile etc), and start from scratch (keep mod tracks).

I've only installed a handful of tracks, nothing else. It was working fine till they did that first decent sized update for it and it hasn't worked since. May try removing the mods and installing them on the main game and see how it goes.

I won't have time for a proper drive until next week, but I just squeezed in 5 laps. While it wasn't really enough to comment on the handling, my concern is the engine sfx. By lap 3, I was already finding it repetitive and could clearly identify the audio loop. Actually, I think their sound tech needs an overhaul anyway, as reverb seems to have gone missing.

Indeed. It's one of the first things I noticed.

I've only installed a handful of tracks, nothing else. It was working fine till they did that first decent sized update for it and it hasn't worked since. May try removing the mods and installing them on the main game and see how it goes.

The main build and the beta are the same right now afaik, so if that works then something is perhaps wonky with your beta install. You can try verifying the game cache integrity through Steam, or just wait until it gets updated hopefully (guessing) this week, and see if that clears it up.

Mascot

Yeah, I've asked m0dus about opening that thread up beyond motion rigs. If not I'll start a new thread. There's this old thread but a necrobump might be bannable.

Quoting myself like a mad dictator, but m0dus just confirmed to me that he's opened his motion sim thread up to general cockpittery (with appropriate thread name change) as requested.

Osiris... ThereIsOnlyOne .... get your projects posted over there and we can hopefully get some traction. In fact, all of you: post pics of your rigs, it's always fascinating to see how others roll.

Thread is here

Quoting myself like a mad dictator, but m0dus just confirmed to me that he's opened his motion sim thread up to general cockpittery (with appropriate thread name change) as requested.

Osiris... ThereIsOnlyOne .... get your projects posted over there and we can hopefully get some traction. In fact, all of you: post pics of your rigs, it's always fascinating to see how others roll.

Thread is here

Updated with the R-Pod. I'll also post my WIP space simulation cockpit.

Stock Car Extreme V1.48 BETA is out!

Requirements:

• Create a fresh player profile (delete the old one from \USERDATA otherwise the game won´t launch);
  • Do not install mods in your beta build (at least not until you have verified it´s working as it should);
  • If you get a dll error on startup, try deleting d3d9.dll from the game´s root folder.

For the steering rotation feature - All Logitech & Thrustmaster wheels with adjustable rotation should be working with this feature. Fanatec wheels should too, except for the V2 wheelbase which is still to be implemented.

If you have any of the supported wheels, it is recommended you set Enable Custom Steer Rotation to NO from OPTIONS > CONTROLS, and let the game customize the appropriate rotation range for each car.

If Enable Custom Steer Rotation is set to NO, the rotation setting below it has no effect so you may ignore it.

Some cars will also allow some range for adjusting rotation from the garage menu - ex. F-Extreme is defaulted to 360º, but you can increase that 450º from the garage. Others (like the Lancers) are fixed at 900º.

Logitech users should make sure "allow game to adjust settings" is ticked in your profiler.

If you do not have a controller with adjustable rotation, OR if your wheel is not yet supported by this feature, set Enable Custom Steer Rotation to YES, and define how much rotation range you have in your controller in the setting below - the game should then work same as before (with any adjustment per car done manually both here & controller profiler) and steer rotation setting in garage menu will have no actual effect.

Please note that in either cases, using old controller presets is NOT recommended (even the existing ones within this build), it´s been known to cause issues to at least one tester so far. We very much recommend you start one from scratch.

Further known issues with this version (to be fixed in time for release):

• DynHUD based trackmap (replaces the previous solution) is WIP, will jitter and skip on occasion (press CTRL + M to switch it off);
  • Dedicated multiplayer tool is untested;
  • Caster setting in menu is not working (always show 0.1);
  • DRS activation & tire compound selection are not stored in replays;
  • No compound restriction per track in F-Extreme & F-Reiza;
  • Removed trackmap in session menu to make space for opponents filter (will be re-arranged to include both);
  • There´s an issue with Logitech Wingman Event Monitor (LWEMon.exe) not being shut down automatically after exiting the game - user should either shut down the process manually after leaving, or launch it himself before starting the game (otherwise the game won´t launch again).

Main Changelog:

Cars

• Adds Mitsubishi Lancer Cup Series (Lancer R & RS models, recommended to run with TC & ABS on low as per the real car)

Track:

• Adds Velo Cittá Circuit (2 layouts);

Features & Fixes:

• Added support to 6 USB controller devices (increasing the previous limit of 3);
  • Added feature to automatically adjust Steering Rotation for each vehicle so use no longer needs to exit game and manually adjust controller rotation (see recommendations above);
  • Added option to adjust steering rotation in garage menu & adjusted default steering lock settings to provide a suitable default steering ratio for all cars (Custom Steer Rotation must be set to NO in controller menu);
  • Added option to map commands for adjusting anti-roll bars from in-car (for the cars that have the option: Stock Car V8, Super V8, F-Extreme, F-Reiza, F-3, F-V12, F-Classic )
  • Added option to map commands for adjusting Vertical FOV from in-car;
  • Tweaked AI to perform less strategical mistakes (such as pitting in the last lap);
  • Rewritten all car classes from the previous standard ReizaXX to a nomenclature that better represents their respective series;
  • Introduced native support to 9-speed gearboxes & fixed bug which would lead to F-Extreme occasionally disappearing when hitting 8th gear in a multiplayer section;
  • AI drivers now use 8th gear & DRS;
  • Added "Opponents Filter" option to quick race menu (for multiclass racing)
  • Replaced AI aggression UI slider with a set of presets low-to-max (max being 50% agression in old currency to prevent AI misbehavior in overly agressive settings);
  • Fixed bug with other cars occasionally "inheriting" 8 gears, DRS functionality from F-Extreme
  • Fixed championship scoring bug;
  • Fixed bug with AI behavior being over agressive with the throttle on corner exit leading to occasionally losing control;
  • Revised AI performance for all cars (balancing for consistency from car to car, track to track, session to session) - still in progress;
  • Updated ambient, curb, road & grass roll noise for all cars;
  • Minor aero & tires revision in all cars;
  • Revised realfeel values to reduce FFB clipping;
  • Tweaked alpha channels in skins from Metalmoro MR18, Opala86, SuperV8, StockV8 series to reduce excessive shiny look;
  • Minor graphical optimization;
  • Fixed behavior of driver labels.

Patrick S.

Banned
Empty Box has complimented that handing, saying that it's on par with iRacing (but the oval AI isn't there yet, which Tim mention in the release notes.)

Empty Box is a nice guy but I always have to mute the first couple of seconds of his videos, 'cause his "What's up guyyyyyyyys, this is empppty buckkkkkkks" sounds so lame haha. Anyway, I really want to like rFactor, but I tried the new demo and it's virtually unplayable for me with a 360 controller. And the track that comes with the demo is really really confusing; I don't know where the heck I'm supposed to be driving :(

Sadly, unlike AC and PCARS, there's very little controller support in rF2. Oddly enough, I find driving with my keyboard easier, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

TJP

Guys, is DTM Experience worth buying? I want a game with DTM cars.
Buy either the 2013 or 2014 DTM experiences on the cheap as the 2015 DTM Experience is coming soon with a lot of changes - tyres, aero, syspension, FFB, fuel burn rates - based off the direct feedback of real DTM drivers.

Buy either the 2013 or 2014 DTM experiences on the cheap as the 2015 DTM Experience is coming soon with a lot of changes - tyres, aero, syspension, FFB, fuel burn rates - based off the direct feedback of real DTM drivers.

Cool! I'll definitely wait for 2015 then, thanks.

TJP

Cool! I'll definitely wait for 2015 then, thanks.
DTM 2013 or 2014 are worth buying if cheap as you get to use the tracks for all of the other content and the cars should also be able to be used on non-DTM tracks. Further, you should qualify for a discount when you buy the 2015 DTM experience if you've purchased a previous version.

FWIW, the 2014 DTM experience is pretty damn good - the DTM licence holders are very demanding about their product being represented in the sim and Sector 3 really improved the DTM cars handling and feel between the two releases.

With the 2015 version, two drivers (Daniel Juncadella & Bruno Spengler) have given up their free time to help Sector 3 improve the DTM driving experience primarily because Spengler enjoys driving his DTM car in R3E and has a few active DTM leagues going.

There should be a Twitch stream soon with either Daniel or Bruno soon. Anyway, enough of the sales spiel - the 2015 will be worth waiting for ;)

What's the word on ADAC 2015? I know they said they were looking to get it out before the end of the season, but the season ends this weekend. They usually drip some media beforehand too.

DTM 2013 or 2014 are worth buying if cheap as you get to use the tracks for all of the other content and the cars should also be able to be used on non-DTM tracks. Further, you should qualify for a discount when you buy the 2015 DTM experience if you've purchased a previous version.

FWIW, the 2014 DTM experience is pretty damn good - the DTM licence holders are very demanding about their product being represented in the sim and Sector 3 really improved the DTM cars handling and feel between the two releases.

With the 2015 version, two drivers (Daniel Juncadella & Bruno Spengler) have given up their free time to help Sector 3 improve the DTM driving experience primarily because Spengler enjoys driving his DTM car in R3E and has a few active DTM leagues going.

There should be a Twitch stream soon with either Daniel or Bruno soon. Anyway, enough of the sales spiel - the 2015 will be worth waiting for ;)

That's great info, thanks so much! I have started following DTM a bit closer recently and it is a lot of fun. Great racing with fascinating tech. Nürburgring weekend was especially entertaining as of recent. I'll see if I can find 2014 on the cheap then.

Also consider me surprised that Race Room is f2p, I did not know that. Downloading as we speak.

TJP

What's the word on ADAC 2015? I know they said they were looking to get it out before the end of the season, but the season ends this weekend. They usually drip some media beforehand too.
We were testing it extensively recently & again we had the feedback of the real world driver and 2014 ADAC champion to guide the development.

I'd say the 2015 ADAC experience would be coming soon, must be a reason why it os held up behind the scenes (we arent told everythong).

I know there are several new cars coming including a certain cup car from the VAG which is miles better than one would expect and no excessive brake noise 8)

Zeth

What are the chances the TM 599 wheel ships tomorrow? I'm guessing nil based on previous Thrustmaster timelines.

TJP

We were told about the Bentley GT3 licence for R3E at the time the Bentley was unveiled to the public however something must have gone south as RaceRoom have posted this: "Last minute entry to the ADAC GT Masters Experience 2015 grid! We are very happy to welcome Bentley Motors to the RaceRoom lineup. More info will follow".

Explains the hold up to release the 2015 ADAC experience.

Edit: Race Department interview with Spengler about R3E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzcT8WLoHNA

I don't believe there's one built in, so perhaps try fraps, or shadowplay (nvidia).

Thanks, FRAPS actually did the trick! Game runs pretty well maxed out, but I had to reduce some settings with a full grid.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the DTM cars (not so much with some of the others). Handling and sound are top notch. This sim is fun.

Spookie

So these new cars are a riot. You can literally toss them round corners and over curbs like nothing else. It puts the V8s to shame for curb riding.
happytears.gif

TJP

Thanks, FRAPS actually did the trick! Game runs pretty well maxed out, but I had to reduce some settings with a full grid.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the DTM cars (not so much with some of the others). Handling and sound are top notch. This sim is fun.
Steam has a fps counter too.

As for R3E, the changes are coming; the GT3, ADAC and DTM classes have all received massive updates (physics, tyres, aero & braking power/distances) based off driver feedback and these changes will flow through the other cars and classes.

A few of the free/silhouette cars have been updated too,

So these new cars are a riot. You can literally toss them round corners and over curbs like nothing else. It puts the V8s to shame for curb riding.
happytears.gif

They are a lot of fun. The new track is pretty technical, so you have to drive them straight-up there, but take them to a fast track like Taruma and you can sling the hell out of them. I'm very impressed with their take on awd. It feels very authentic to me.

Makikou

Welp. Time to ship off the wheel part of my T300RS to the warranty service. Right-side gear shift paddle has stopped taking inputs regularly and i'd estimate that if i click the paddle 10 times, it'll only recognize about 3 of those inputs.

Glad i only have to ship the wheel so i get to keep the wheelbase atleast.. Now i just need to borrow a wheel from a friend. Even though getting one of those Ferrari GTE rims would be sweeeeeeet. (not the alcantara one)

A bit disappointed obviously, 350eur for this hardware and 3 months in it's broken.

Welp. Time to ship off the wheel part of my T300RS to the warranty service. Right-side gear shift paddle has stopped taking inputs regularly and i'd estimate that if i click the paddle 10 times, it'll only recognize about 3 of those inputs.

Glad i only have to ship the wheel so i get to keep the wheelbase atleast.. Now i just need to borrow a wheel from a friend. Even though getting one of those Ferrari GTE rims would be sweeeeeeet. (not the alcantara one)

A bit disappointed obviously, 350eur for this hardware and 3 months in it's broken.
This happened to my T500 - got to keep the wheel and send the tank. Actually the base was sent back for another reason - but it was a pretty quick turnaround and I got a new base in return that felt considerably nicer.

Seems to be luck of the draw with these things. The replacement might last for years without issue, or it might fail just as quickly. My Driving Force Pro for example died within a few weeks but the replacement is still working fine - 10 years later.

TJP

Seems there may be issues with the free V8 Supercar add-on for Stock Car Extreme. The good news is it is still being worked on and may even be released for both rF2 and Assetto Corsa.

There are rumours about the fate of the mod which stem from the "official" mod thread being closed on Race Department and a post on the Pretend Race Cars opinion blog: http://pretendracecars.net/2015/10/...-longer-in-development-for-stock-car-extreme/ which details some internal discussions, including the mod creators being mucked about by Reiza.

Before the "oh, its PRC again" (not that I disagree), it's worth reading the PRC post and reading the RD thread as both level some interesting accusations.

Seems there may be issues with the free V8 Supercar add-on for Stock Car Extreme. The good news is it is still being worked on and may even be released for both rF2 and Assetto Corsa.

There are rumours about the fate of the mod which stem from the "official" mod thread being closed on Race Department and a post on the Pretend Race Cars opinion blog: http://pretendracecars.net/2015/10/...-longer-in-development-for-stock-car-extreme/ which details some internal discussions, including the mod creators being mucked about by Reiza.

Before the "oh, its PRC again" (not that I disagree), it's worth reading the PRC post and reading the RD thread as both level some interesting accusations.

Reiza responded at RD.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ozv8-crowd-fund-project.103435/page-8#post-2105241

Also with what Paul Field said on page 7 of that thread this whole thing is a mess.

SimRacingOz doesn't seem to want to provide information to the public which doesn't help things. I don't know about the backers for their mod though, maybe they got some inside info.

I do believe one thing though, Reiza couldn't be directly involved in the mod since they would have to pay licencing fees to V8 supercars which I don't think they could or would want to do. It wouldn't think it could be financially viable for them given that they've finalized their vision for GSCE through their crowdfunding campaign and are looking to their next game.

Top Bottom