• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Ark

The Mclaren will attempt to kill you on every off-camber/camber/bumpy part of the circuit so keep that in mind.

PS. GT1 Corvette @ Nordschleife is the king.

Actually that's a good shout. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

Effect

Managed to finally try out Assetto Corsa. Hearing so many good things about it I thought why not. Ended up refunding it. Granted I'm playing with a controller but Project Cars just felt a lot better by comparison to me. Perhaps AC was to sim for me or just the controller settings aren't as good as PC was designed with a controller in mind seeing as it's on consoles as well. I don't know. Gotta make a decision though.

I want something else to play other then Gran Turismo 6, which I've started to take more and more assist off as I play now that I've unlocked all the license tiers. Now have access to 20 mile or or straight up 20 minutes races that require me to do pit stops now to change tiers. I want more of that in a game that looks better. Increasing it looks like I might have to give PC another shot but don't have any time left to give it another shot. So if I buy it then that's a permanent buy now.

That and I really think it's about time I look into a racing wheel if I'm going to get serious about these games now. Something that works well with the PS3 and PC would be ideal. Just need to find a good price.

DD

Managed to finally try out Assetto Corsa. Hearing so many good things about it I thought why not. Ended up refunding it. Granted I'm playing with a controller but Project Cars just felt a lot better by comparison to me. Perhaps AC was to sim for me or just the controller settings aren't as good as PC was designed with a controller in mind seeing as it's on consoles as well. I don't know. Gotta make a decision though.

I want something else to play other then Gran Turismo 6, which I've started to take more and more assist off as I play now that I've unlocked all the license tiers. Now have access to 20 mile or or straight up 20 minutes races that require me to do pit stops now to change tiers. I want more of that in a game that looks better. Increasing it looks like I might have to give PC another shot but don't have any time left to give it another shot. So if I buy it then that's a permanent buy now.

That and I really think it's about time I look into a racing wheel if I'm going to get serious about these games now. Something that works well with the PS3 and PC would be ideal. Just need to find a good price.
Grid Autosport is an excellent simcade, and a very good game, and if you're into rallying, Dirt Rally is effin' brilliant, but much more of a sim than Grid is, hard as fuck, but still playable with a pad.

Effect

Grid Autosport is an excellent simcade, and a very good game, and if you're into rallying, Dirt Rally is effin' brilliant, but much more of a sim than Grid is, hard as fuck, but still playable with a pad.
I have been considering Grid Autosport. Should give that a try.

Dave_6

Looks like I need to get back into iRacing. Got a sub early this year but didn't do but a couple races; the intimidation factor is pretty high even though I consider myself a pretty good driver. I've only ever bought the DW-12 and the MP4-12C GT3 along with Barber Motorsports Park (my local track).

What are some must buys as far as cars and tracks are concerned?

Branson

Thanks guys. I guess I'll get the Mclaren? Just wanting to try out the ring in a car everyone will be driving with. I actually haven't bought a piece of content in a long time since I mainly race oval and have been over on that side for a while.

Looks like I need to get back into iRacing. Got a sub early this year but didn't do but a couple races; the intimidation factor is pretty high even though I consider myself a pretty good driver. I've only ever bought the DW-12 and the MP4-12C GT3 along with Barber Motorsports Park (my local track).

What are some must buys as far as cars and tracks are concerned?
I think there is a false sense of security with GT3. They're so easy to drive below the limit, newcomers to iRacing tend to gain confidence a little too quickly and don't learn proper racecraft. Two great cars for gaining race experience are already in the sub imo - the MX-5 and the Spec Racer. You're much better off spending a couple of seasons (at least) in these than driving anything faster. They might seem dull due to lack of pace, but the racing is as competitive as you'll ever need. Some of my most intense races have been in the MX-5.

If you want to get the most out of your sub, I'd take a look at the Spec Racer schedule and purchase tracks accordingly. It may be worth buying every track on the schedule so you can race in the same championship each week, or you could build up slowly for a while, i.e. buying a few of the popular tracks, driving the Spec Racer when you can, and driving the MX-5 when you can't, not really concerning yourself with championship points, just regular, close racing. The MX-5 certainly offers that and you don't need to buy anything!

If you just want to buy some random content, then I'll suggest 5 great tracks (not included in the sub):

1. Oulton Park
2. Suzuka
3. Mid Ohio
4. Road Atlanta
5. Bathurst

and 5 great cars:

1. Skippy
2. Skippy
3. Skippy
4. Skippy
5. Radical

Thanks guys. I guess I'll get the Mclaren? Just wanting to try out the ring in a car everyone will be driving with. I actually haven't bought a piece of content in a long time since I mainly race oval and have been over on that side for a while.
There will be more than enough people driving the 12C GT3 at the 'Ring. If you only want to drive there, the Z4 is probably the better car as it absorbs bumps like a Rolls Royce. The McLaren would be a greater challenge.

Dave_6

I think there is a false sense of security with GT3. They're so easy to drive below the limit, newcomers to iRacing tend to gain confidence a little too quickly and don't learn proper racecraft. Two great cars for gaining race experience are already in the sub imo - the MX-5 and the Spec Racer. You're much better off spending a couple of seasons (at least) in these than driving anything faster. They might seem dull due to lack of pace, but the racing is as competitive as you'll ever need. Some of my most intense races have been in the MX-5.

If you want to get the most out of your sub, I'd take a look at the Spec Racer schedule and purchase tracks accordingly. It may be worth buying every track on the schedule so you can race in the same championship each week, or you could build up slowly for a while, i.e. buying a few of the popular tracks, driving the Spec Racer when you can, and driving the MX-5 when you can't, not really concerning yourself with championship points, just regular, close racing. The MX-5 certainly offers that and you don't need to buy anything!

If you just want to buy some random content, then I'll suggest 5 great tracks (not included in the sub):

1. Oulton Park
2. Suzuka
3. Mid Ohio
4. Road Atlanta
5. Bathurst

and 5 great cars:

1. Skippy
2. Skippy
3. Skippy
4. Skippy
5. Radical

Thanks as always for your insight Betta! Bought the Skip, Radical and the 'ring. The Radical is insane after driving the MX5 or the Skippy. Didn't make a 1/3 of a lap at the 'ring with the 12C and lost the rear lol.

Hi PC racers, I am considering buying a logitech g29 (tempted by the fact that wheel and stick are £200 in UK at the moment).

How is this wheel for PC use? Is it working ok with older games e.g Dirt, Dirt 2, Grid, Shift 2 unleashed?

Thanks as always for your insight Betta! Bought the Skip, Radical and the 'ring. The Radical is insane after driving the MX5 or the Skippy. Didn't make a 1/3 of a lap at the 'ring with the 12C and lost the rear lol.
You're welcome! The Skippy can be added to the MX-5 and SRF as a great learning tool. I think it has become too forgiving over the past few seasons, but it is still tough to drive in close quarters due to the open wheel nature (more delicate parts sticking out, no brake lights). You have to be more careful compared to the other two. It can be frustrating because there is a high chance of being rear-ended, particularly in the lower splits, and the community is larger and not as respectful as the SRF's.

Hi PC racers, I am considering buying a logitech g29 (tempted by the fact that wheel and stick are £200 in UK at the moment).

How is this wheel for PC use? Is it working ok with older games e.g Dirt, Dirt 2, Grid, Shift 2 unleashed?
I don't think anyone can argue with that price. The G29 works fine with everything on PC, even very old games. The ones you mention aren't strong FFB performers though. The old Codies games have weird wheel support in general, and Shift 2 has weird physics and too much latency. (These are software problems - you'd have the same issues with any wheel.)

I bought the Radical today. I think I'm in love :) A dozen laps with that will make you feel like you just drank a gallon of coffee. You could conquer the world if you drove that for breakfast every morning.

This thing ain't too shabby either for bringing out your inner Bottas.

agnadsha.gif

Effect

Do it.

Any of the older sims from SimBin will work fine with a controller as well as Sector 3's F2P RaceRoom RE.

Do you or anyone else know if the tracks in Grid Autosport are widened or are they the size the should be? At least for the real life tracks if they are included in the game?

I'd love to post details on the changes and the new cars (Audi TT Cup, Formula 2 and NSU TT) and track (Chang International) that'll be added very soon however just like their iRacing brethren, the Sector 3 forums are down.
Any news on when the Formula 2s are coming?

My god is the Ring in iRacing good. Only did open practice with the Ruf, but boy was it fun. Now to take some vintage F1 cars out on it. I think I will save the Skippy for last since it is the car I have the most seat time with in iRacing. So much track feel, every little bump. Damn...makes me want to buy a new wheel.

TJP

TJP

ehhhh... In what sense? Less downforce? Less power? Both?
You have a front wheel drive car with 310 HP (P2P adds another 30HP) and 1,120 KG to pull..the car has locked settings, not a lot of downforce and average braking power - all of which makes for very close racing 8)

Ark

Oooh. Maybe it's time to bring back the hot lap challenges as well? McHonda + Nurburgring GP seems like a nice combo :)

I'd love to take part, but I haven't bought the McHonda :p

My god is the Ring in iRacing good. Only did open practice with the Ruf, but boy was it fun. Now to take some vintage F1 cars out on it. I think I will save the Skippy for last since it is the car I have the most seat time with in iRacing. So much track feel, every little bump. Damn...makes me want to buy a new wheel.

It's so much fun. I'm literally just lapping over and over in the McLaren MP4-12C and boy oh boy is it addictive.

This thing ain't too shabby either for bringing out your inner Bottas.

agnadsha.gif

That is an awesome paint scheme. Damn.

God damn it iRacing, why can't your servers stay up! I just want to hotlap the ring in GT3 cars. I think the RUF might be my fav. I just did some laps in the Z4 and yesterday I did a bunch in the MP4-12C..and something about the RUF feels so good. I have some setups to test now, I was only running baseline on the MP4 and I think some setup tweaks would go a long way. All three cars are fun as shit around the ring. I was about to go put in some laps with the RUF but the servers are down again. In the mean time I bought Dirt, which I have been meaning to do for a while.

Dave_6

Assetto Corsa Dream Pack 3 out today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RheFh72SuV0

Played around in some open practices in iRacing last night with some vehicles I haven't used before. The Dallara Dash at Charlotte is incredibly fun and very intense if enough people are on track. Soooo fast! Also messed around with the older Craftsman Truck at the old bumpy Daytona and those are so much fun too. Can't believe I never messed around more with iRacing until now.

LOL! It's ancient and I was really surprised to get the email about the update. I can't remember seeing any about the previous updates. Anyway, I had a blast on this back in the day and it's amazing that it's still being developed.

So when the hell did Fanatec stop selling the 911 GT2, GT3, and CSR and CSR Elite wheels that were compatible with PC, PS# and 360? I cant find one anywhere?

I saw that the CSR Value Pack XL was available back when DiRT Rally was in Early Access and now that the game is out i wanted to get that wheel bundle but its gone... I can still pull up the CSR page but i cant buy it: https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/support/product;old_product_id;157

Basically I'm looking for a decent wheel/pedals/shifter (with h and seq preferably) that works with PC and 360 as those are the 2 platforms Ive got all my racing games on. Any recommendations like the CSR, that I can still freaking purchase?

If I cant get a wheel to cover those 2 platforms this early into the new console gen... then I'll just snag a 2nd lightly used Wireless 360 Wheel so I can splitscreen on my 360, and start the search for the most compatible and decent PC wheel. I need it to be compatible because I've also got some older PC racing games that Im hoping the PC-compatible wheel will support, too (like TDU2).

I picked up AC recently too and was close to refunding it. The game feels very unfinished to me. Enabling downscaling with DSR completely screws up the interface, I had to remap my control scheme 2 or 3 times when it forgot them. I'm glad I kept it though, plenty of fiddling later and I'm enjoying it. Some of the cars though, sheesh, the understeer on some of the road cars. I don't want to be 'that' guy who complains loudly about certain cars he hasn't driven IRL not feeling right, but damn.

Does anyone know if AC has soft lock?

TJP

Formula Raceroom 2 is available for 349 vRP. The car is based off a Tatuus chassis with a V8 power plant.

So when the hell did Fanatec stop selling the 911 GT2, GT3, and CSR and CSR Elite wheels that were compatible with PC, PS# and 360? I cant find one anywhere?

I saw that the CSR Value Pack XL was available back when DiRT Rally was in Early Access and now that the game is out i wanted to get that wheel bundle but its gone... I can still pull up the CSR page but i cant buy it: https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/support/product;old_product_id;157

Basically I'm looking for a decent wheel/pedals/shifter (with h and seq preferably) that works with PC and 360 as those are the 2 platforms Ive got all my racing games on. Any recommendations like the CSR, that I can still freaking purchase?

If I cant get a wheel to cover those 2 platforms this early into the new console gen... then I'll just snag a 2nd lightly used Wireless 360 Wheel so I can splitscreen on my 360, and start the search for the most compatible and decent PC wheel. I need it to be compatible because I've also got some older PC racing games that Im hoping the PC-compatible wheel will support, too (like TDU2).

Fanatec are just about to release a lower cost CSL base which, I'd imagine, is why the older stuff has been pulled from the site.

Your best bet is to look at the second hand market for a CSR if you absolutely have to have 360 support in addition to PC. Personally, I'd do as you said, and find a cheapo wireless 360 wheel, and then start anew with a nextgen compatible wheel base.

Formula Raceroom 2 is available for 349 vRP. The car is based off a Tatuus chassis with a V8 power plant.

I'm curious to see how this came out. Personally, it's not something I'm interested in having in R3E, but it's good to have it in there to round out the lineup.

Effect

Nice. Grid Autosport is $9.99 with the steam winter sale. $17.49 for the complete version. Glad I waited.
Project Cars is $19.99 while Assetto Corsa is still on sale for $24.99

Makikou

Just did my first GT1 race at the Nurburgring GP-Strecke. Have to say: super tough to be consistant, even harder to overtake.

Would people be interested if i shadowplayed the replay of the race? Cockpit or chase or tv1 cam?

Just did my first GT1 race at the Nurburgring GP-Strecke. Have to say: super tough to be consistant, even harder to overtake.

Would people be interested if i shadowplayed the replay of the race? Cockpit or chase or tv1 cam?

Who doesn't like videos?! Sure, rip one off. TV1 is good.

TJP

Nice. Grid Autosport is $9.99 with the steam winter sale. $17.49 for the complete version. Glad I waited.
Project Cars is $19.99 while Assetto Corsa is still on sale for $24.99
All three are worth owning in my humble opinion. I wonder if rFactor 2 will go on sale during the winter sales?

Effect

The presentation in Grid Autosport is great. Codemasters knows what they're doing and even the gameplay is good. The whole thing feels super polished. However like the others it's just not clicking with me on an enjoyment level. I've tried various settings to make it less sim and even more sim.I haven't refunded it yet as I still want to give a little more time. However I've been thinking about this for the last two hours or so and I think I've figured out what my issue is. I think I'm trying to force myself to enjoy sim racing. I appreciate them and like having to properly drive the cars into and out of turns, etc. I think it's the racing part that is the problem coupled with the possibility that the idea of playing them I think is more prominent then the desire to actually play them. If that makes sense.

I've played various arcade racers over the years (and I had to think about the racing games I really spent the most time with and enjoyed the most) and when i finally tried out Gran Turismo (after being unsure about that) and it clicked I figured the natural progression would to be push toward games that were more sim, especially since I was looking for something with better graphics, and I think that's been a mistake. I'm not sure why but I think GT, specifically GT6 as that's the one I have, is just the right mix for me. Which is strange as I was starting to get annoyed by the AI and lack of a real damage model but I think that's what is making it more balanced for me. That the cars are indeed more obstacles then actual racers is disappointing but perhaps a disappointment that ultimately works for me so I can just focus on the driving with the illusion I guess of racing. Driving Simulator. I think I now understand why they named the series the way they did and what they were going for now even with all it's faults.

Top Bottom