• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Ark

I've been running the Skip Barber series a bit this season because my friend (who is new to the game) is running it, and man have I had the worst run of luck. I think I'm done with iRacing until week 13 and the Nurburgring comes out.

Sorry to hear that Ark, the Skippy can be cruel! Our team got taken out in the last two BES Monza races so I'm pretty cheesed off with iRacing too :p

I've been running the Skip Barber series a bit this season because my friend (who is new to the game) is running it, and man have I had the worst run of luck. I think I'm done with iRacing until week 13 and the Nurburgring comes out.

Bad runs of luck can be really trying. That shorty version of Monza is a bullring too. I'm sure there is no shortage of people tripping over each other.

Zeth

Finally getting into RF2 properly and loving it. Anyone want to suggest any essential non-workshop mods? Though I've probably got enough to keep myself busy for quite a long time with all the fantastic historic stuff.

I'm considering the URD EGT pack for some GT3 racing - unless there's a better alternative. I've seen mixed reviews for the Apex stuff and I'm not sure what I should be looking into. Is the PX pack worth buying into yet?

Finally getting into RF2 properly and loving it. Anyone want to suggest any essential non-workshop mods? Though I've probably got enough to keep myself busy for quite a long time with all the fantastic historic stuff.

I'm considering the URD EGT pack for some GT3 racing - unless there's a better alternative. I've seen mixed reviews for the Apex stuff and I'm not sure what I should be looking into. Is the PX pack worth buying into yet?

MarvHarv's recommendations

The URD stuff is top shelf. Highly recommended.

Watevaman

Just bought the RRRE Black Friday All-in-One pack. Thanks for posting it here, because otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it.

Ark

Sorry to hear that Ark, the Skippy can be cruel! Our team got taken out in the last two BES Monza races so I'm pretty cheesed off with iRacing too :p

Oh man, getting booted out of an endurance race is the worst. I feel your pain :p

Bad runs of luck can be really trying. That shorty version of Monza is a bullring too. I'm sure there is no shortage of people tripping over each other.

I thought it'd be alright with how simple it is, but it's nearly impossible to break the draft and of the four races I've done there only one of them was 100% clean. The other three had me just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Given how sparse the game releases are going to be next year, I think I'm going to apply myself to competing the GT3 season in it's entirety this time (I've said that every season, lol), with some RUF C-Spec here and there possibly. I've just gotta finish Fallout 4 first.

Makikou

Oh man, getting booted out of an endurance race is the worst. I feel your pain :p

I thought it'd be alright with how simple it is, but it's nearly impossible to break the draft and of the four races I've done there only one of them was 100% clean. The other three had me just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Given how sparse the game releases are going to be next year, I think I'm going to apply myself to competing the GT3 season in it's entirety this time (I've said that every season, lol), with some RUF C-Spec here and there possibly. I've just gotta finish Fallout 4 first.

Finished 2nd in the 2nd split of Race 3 in Monza yesterday. Good race. I did the 2nd stint and just saved fuel all the way through. Felt i could have gone a bit faster tho so not that satisfied but in the end i think the gap to leader would have been around 12s instead of 23s it was now.

TJP

I think the mod is fine to buy, it's a little on the raw side and a little slow in its development. The PX mod in AC is in a more advanced state given AC has 4WD and hybrid tech simulations whereas rF2 has 4WD in a more rudimentary state (according to Ales of URD) and hybrid technology is on the to-do list.

SimHQ Motorsports has a few WEC/LMP1 mods to try: http://simhqmotorsports.com/downloads/

Ark

Apparently Trading Paints has lost all of it's data. Their server provider 'accidentally' reformatted the live version and their backup :lol I've re-uploaded my McLaren paint, but it sucks for those that upload hundreds of paints regularly.

Also the Week 13 schedule is out, and the most important thing is that the figure of 8 is back! :)

Apparently Trading Paints has lost all of it's data. Their server provider 'accidentally' reformatted the live version and their backup :lol I've re-uploaded my McLaren paint, but it sucks for those that upload hundreds of paints regularly.

Also the Week 13 schedule is out, and the most important thing is that the figure of 8 is back! :)

What a complete disaster. I've re-upped GAF-Skippy as well.

Am I missing something, or are they not running a week 13 Nordschleife race?

Ark

What a complete disaster. I've re-upped GAF-Skippy as well.

Am I missing something, or are they not running a week 13 Nordschleife race?

Doesn't seem like it for some reason. We're getting the hot lapping contest on the tourist config and the McLaren F1 car at the GP circuit.

A nice little Dave Kaemmer Nordschleife retrospective video.

Also lol:

23498645236_1954c69f0d_o.jpg

ruttyboy

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

I have a G27 set up on a GameRacer Elite with an extension for the gear stick. Is it possible to buy a handbrake that I could stick on the chair somehow?

Looking around the net all I can see are custom homemade jobs but I don't really have the time (or skill, or tools) to build one...

Any help gratefully received!

Looks like iRacing just couldn't fix the problem with the new changes to the site itself, and are having to port the changes to the old site. What a mess.

Twitter updates from Steve Myers

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

I have a G27 set up on a GameRacer Elite with an extension for the gear stick. Is it possible to buy a handbrake that I could stick on the chair somehow?

Looking around the net all I can see are custom homemade jobs but I don't really have the time (or skill, or tools) to build one...

Any help gratefully received!

I'd say pre-order one of the new Fanatec handbrakes (available in a couple of months), and buy a second GameRacer shifter mount. Get creative with the second mount - lower? back-to front? opposite side?

ruttyboy

Looks like iRacing just couldn't fix the problem with the new changes to the site itself, and are having to port the changes to the old site. What a mess.

Twitter updates from Steve Myers

I'd say pre-order one of the new Fanatec handbrakes (available in a couple of months), and buy a second GameRacer shifter mount. Get creative with the second mount - lower? back-to front? opposite side?

I didn't realise Fanatec made handbrakes, I'll look into that, thanks.

Actually, I've just had a brainwave, I *might* have my old G25 shifter in the loft, unless I threw it away, I wonder if it's possible to convert that to USB and get the PC to recognise it somehow...

Branson

Man this iRacing update really messed it up. I wonder what it was. I'm never mad at this stuff because making games is hard I'm just curious.

Ark

I find it difficult to be angry when for the other 12-weeks of the season the service is totally stable.

Really hoping it'll be up before I get home from work though I reeeaaalllyyyy want to try the 'Ring.

I find it difficult to be angry when for the other 12-weeks of the season the service is totally stable.

Really hoping it'll be up before I get home from work though I reeeaaalllyyyy want to try the 'Ring.

Wait, the Ring launched yesterday too!!! I thought it was just the Mclaren.

Branson

I'm more interested in the new particle effects and debris from grass and dirt being kicked on the road. Super excited to try the ring though.

Ark

I'm more interested in the new particle effects and debris from grass and dirt being kicked on the road. Super excited to try the ring though.

Have you seen the new blowback on the McLaren GT3? My god.

Wait, the Ring launched yesterday too!!! I thought it was just the Mclaren.

Yup! Kinda can't believe it's been a year and a half since they announced it. Hopefully Le Sarthe doesn't take too long, and I still want Imola, dammit.

Branson

Yup! Kinda can't believe it's been a year and a half since they announced it. Hopefully Le Sarthe doesn't take too long, and I still want Imola, dammit.
No I haven't yet. Is there video?

Hooooolllly shit. For some reason I thought it was coming out in early 2016. Hyyyype. These servers need to come back asap.

TJP

Latest build of R3E has shipped which has been lost in the iRacing update excitement.

I'd love to post details on the changes and the new cars (Audi TT Cup, Formula 2 and NSU TT) and track (Chang International) that'll be added very soon however just like their iRacing brethren, the Sector 3 forums are down.

Ark

So which GT3 car should I get for iRacing? I was leaning toward the BMW. Good choice? Mclaren instead?

My personal favourite is the McLaren; I'll be driving it this season :)

Only had time this morning to do one lap of the 'Ring. It is everything I wanted it to be, oh my god. And the new PBR shaders on the McLaren GT3 look amazing, I just got a new 1440p monitor this week and wooowwww iRacing looks so good now.

Makikou

It's hard to say since they forgot to include this seasons BoP which will be coming later.

but either BMW or Mclaren since the other 2 will get removed from BSS/BES in Season 2.

TJP

Yep, the Audi TT Cup is a great addition and helped by the fact 2 drivers from the actual series fine tuned the physics.

Wait until the NSU drops as the car is slow (122 HP) but a hell of a lot of fun because it's tail happy.

Ark

It's hard to say since they forgot to include this seasons BoP which will be coming later.

but either BMW or Mclaren since the other 2 will get removed from BSS/BES in Season 2.

This is what I'm expecting too. The RUF and Ford will probably be passable compared to the official BMW and McLaren.

Makikou

The Mclaren will attempt to kill you on every off-camber/camber/bumpy part of the circuit so keep that in mind.

PS. GT1 Corvette @ Nordschleife is the king.

Top Bottom