• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

How could they run out, surely they know how many people actually bought it?
Something to do with only have a certain number of key generated every 2 hours, but seems to be fine now.

Deleting the rF2 desktop icon felt like the end of an era, but finally ISI have embraced 2008 and joined Steam.

Dave_6

I really like what I played of RF2; drove the NSX at Bathurst and the standard C6 at Lime Rock. Unfortunately, lost control of the vette at a high speed, hit the wall and it hard locked the game (and my G27 at full left lock) to the point I had to shut my PC down. Got it back up, tried to load the GT1 GT-R at Bathurst and kept getting errors (wouldn't ever load the track). Seemed to be a problem with others when I checked the Steam community last night. Oh well.

Watevaman

I've posted this a few times in the B/S/T thread and haven't gotten any hits. I hope it's ok to post here since I think it's relevant to the crowd that might frequent this thread.

Logitech Driving Force GT $50 + shipping

srwlEfU.jpg

This was my wheel of choice for a few years after I bought it in 2009. I have since replaced it with a T500RS so I have no need for it. As of last use, it worked great. The only wear it really shows is around the sides of the rim where it's been a little worn down from use. No original box.

There's some more pics of it here: http://imgur.com/a/SXWlm

DD

I know that it's not a sim, but Grid Autosport is a cool racing game nonetheless, and I have nowhere to post it, but I want to share.

See, one of the things I like in this game is the fact that each team has it's own livery, your teammate has a name and personality on track, and all your opponents have a name displayed on screen, so you have a name to curse when you fight for a position. And there are teams that are better than others on each discipline. So Team Monster Energy might suck on Open Wheelers, for example, but might be good on Tuners. And there's a team that is the best on every class, called team Ravenwest. At the beginning you only have offers from the crappiest teams at each class you decide to race, and the worse the team is, harder it is to win, and your teammate is laughable.

Yesterday I reached level 6 in the Tunner class, which was the last one needed on that level to open the second Grid championship. Then I entered the Grid championship and chose to sign with Team Kicker, one of the four offers I had. It's a good team, and I have as a teammate a British son of a bitch called Leo Turner. The game set as my main rival a Brazilian that I don't remember his name.

Did the free practice, then I qualified in 4th at Red Bull Ring, right behind my rival, and right ahead of my teammate. Then came race 1, and I really don't know how to start well, really. Leo Turner, my teammate jumped better than me and squeezed (he actually hit my door kind of hard) me to the inside of the track, forbidding me to get a good angle for the first corner. I retreated and let him go. Two or three laps latter, I reached him and put myself side by side, inside of a turn to the right. The son of a bitch tried to close the door when I was already in. He hit my door again, and then he gave me a tap on the rear, almost making me spin. I touched the grass and got back to the asphalt, again side by side with him. I was again on the inside of the next corner, so I got through and targeted the three cars ahead: my Brazilian rival and the two Ravenwest drivers. I couldn't reach them, but I saw my rival fighting with the Ravenwest guys, for my despair (I need to get more points than him til the end of the championship, so...), and he finished in 1st or 2nd, I'm not sure, which is surprising, since the Ravenwest guys are usually unbeatable.

Anyway, Race 2 on that same track. Again I started like an idiot and there came Leo Turner all the way from the left to the right of the track, hitting my door while trying to squeeze me again for the turn 1. "You know what?", I said to myself, "I'm stating to get angry with this pest. I'll outbrake this son of a bitch", and I did that. He was completely ahead, but I simply braked late and threw us both to the paved area out of the kerb. I usually try to race clean, but that bitch deserved. I_dont_care.jpg. I lost one position and he fell to 9th. I chased the guy ahead and overtake him, and targeted my rival, that was again fighting against the Ravenwests. Since there was no one close around me, I started trying to do super fast laps, but the guys ahead were simply going just as fast as I was. I thought I was going to end at 4th again, but then I noticed that slowly I was getting closer and closer, and by the end of the race, I managed to overtake my rival and one of the Ravenwest guys, and finished in 2nd. And that simple podium finish, my friends, felt so SO much better than a win at many other racing games around. It was one of that magical moments.

I love this fuckin' game and the way the AIs behave. S2
Edit: the AIs can be very scummy when trying to overtake you, tho.

TJP

Before Dirt Rally arrived, Grid Autosport was the best game CM had made in some time. Shame it never got the acclaim or sales numbers. CM should remaster/ re-release Autosport for PS4 and Xbox One..

Watevaman

I love Autosport for many reasons, but one is that it'll run on my laptop and I can play with the arrows. Can't do that with most other racing games, even other CM games.

DD

Before Dirt Rally arrived, Grid Autosport was the best game CM had made in some time. Shame it never got the acclaim or sales numbers. CM should remaster/ re-release Autosport for PS4 and Xbox One..

Yeah, it's weird that it wasn't released for the XBOne and PS4. It came out at a time that there was no racing games on these platforms, and it's not an ugly game at all, in my opinion. And it's a very, VERY good game too. Not Dirt Rally good, but much better than anything they released last gen.

I love Autosport for many reasons, but one is that it'll run on my laptop and I can play with the arrows. Can't do that with most other racing games, even other CM games.

Really?! Weird that all their games have more or less the same "weight", I believe.

Makikou

New development blog released on iRacing.

Here's some fancy tidbits:

Just to give you an idea of the new technology we have developed for this car (by the way we received updated CAD for the MP4-30 as recently as three weeks ago), we are integrating all the technology you would expect in a currently competing F1 car.

Ultimately it is our goal to also have multiple tire compounds available for the McLaren MP4-30 in a session and require the use of both. Unfortunately, this feature will not be in the December release but it is our goal to have it ready for the start of the 2016 iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series.

Nurburgring co-owner coming to visit iRacing.com HQ this week and about VLN: And yes, we have been talking about the VLN series and have plans on trying to do something with that series.

Just to be clear though, the days of running iRacing in anything other than 64 bit and Windows 7 or higher are coming to an end. You’re really going to need to be running this already and have 6 Gig of RAM to probably even run the Nurburgring. In other words, you might want to ask Santa for some PC upgrades!

When the new MX-5 is completed it will replace the existing MX-5 Cup car in official series and included FREE in the base package!

On the GT3 front we anticipate the new Mercedes-AMG GT and Audi R8 LMS will be ready in time for the March build, which will also line them up to be used in our new iRacing Blancpain GT Series in Season 2.

the Formula Renault 2.0 car which is also in production. We hope to have it completed in the first half of next year as well.

On the track side of things Imola is looking like the next major project we will complete and it is penciled-in – lightly – for the March build. We are also doing everything we can to try and get Le Mans finished for June of next year but I would not bet on it.

I strongly approve of the logo rebranding, removing the ".com" and tiding up the text. The last couple of videos teased this and it's great to see it on the new site and UI.

TJP

^^ Went straight to Steam Workshop too, which is good.
Which highlights one issue - who 'owns' each mod that is uploaded. Already there is confusion regarding the 32 Pixel made car and track and I see non-VirtuaLM people added their tracks to the workshop.

Which highlights one issue - who 'owns' each mod that is uploaded. Already there is confusion regarding the 32 Pixel made car and track and I see non-VirtuaLM people added their tracks to the workshop.

Hopefully that stuff will work itself out. I honestly have no idea what safeguards, if any, exist to prevent people from uploading others work.

Anyone else get Chris Harris'd tonight? LaF/P1 lapage with Grobnik standing in for Portimao. It had to be done.

TJP

Anyone else get Chris Harris'd tonight? LaF/P1 lapage with Grobnik standing in for Portimao. It had to be done.
The best video Chris has made to this point. I love the Porsche attitude whereas Ferrari and McLaren have a team of people to make sure their cars are 'spot on'

I'm looking for a multiplayer fix for my racing needs. I have rFactor2 and SCE for single-player racing but need advice for which game to choose between iRacing or R3E for multiplayer.

I'm only looking to play casually, I don't really have time for involved leagues. I'd just like to fire up the game and play some multiplayer when I have spare time.

Also the subscription cost of iRacing looks a bit scary, however I don't know how to compare it to R3E since I don't understand the pricing structure.

Any help?

Makikou

I'm looking for a multiplayer fix for my racing needs. I have rFactor2 and SCE for single-player racing but need advice for which game to choose between iRacing or R3E for multiplayer.

I'm only looking to play casually, I don't really have time for involved leagues. I'd just like to fire up the game and play some multiplayer when I have spare time.

Also the subscription cost of iRacing looks a bit scary, however I don't know how to compare it to R3E since I don't understand the pricing structure.

Any help?
You can get 3 months of iRacing for free using code PR-RINGEXPO2015 here: http://www.iracing.com/membership/

For what content you get with the subscription, you can run series such as Rookie Mazda MX-5 Cup, iRacing Production Car Challenge (runs Pontiac Solstice & MX-5 Roadster), Grand Touring Cup with the Solstice but only when it is running free content tracks (which it does atleast 3 times in a season.)
You can also try out the Spec Racer Ford Challenge when it hits a free track (as the car is free base content). I really recommend this series. Good racing & forum community is REALLY good.

Fixed (as in everyone runs same setup) Cadillac Cup is also available to you when it runs free base content circuits. (Cadillac Cup runs the Cadillac CTS-V Racecar which is plenty fast).

The SRF Challenge is running Laguna Seca next week so if you can haul yourself to D-license before that, you can have a go at it. Same for Grand Touring Cup.

In the oval side you can have a go at Rookie Street Stocks or Advanced Legends Cup (Legends cars at ovals).

For R3E, i enjoy the content i own (ADAC etc) but it is much easier to find the occasional race in iRacing. Much more players which accounts to this.

Indeed, there's nothing to lose with an iRacing free trial. A year's sub is half price at the moment too. However if you're really only looking for the occasional race it might not be worth your while. I'd go to where the crowd is - Assetto Corsa public servers. Yes, it's full of nutters, but it's also full of very decent drivers and it is absolutely possible to find a good race.

I would not be looking towards R3E as a suitable multiplayer destination. While it's a fine multiplayer game, there just isn't the server population needed to make it pick up and play. It's strength is offline, and hot lap leaderboards.

iRacing, Assetto Corsa, and pCARS are where you'll most reliably find groups of people racing.

Since you're Australian, it's doubly important for you to follow player count. While I can't tell you much about the AU scene in AC and pCARS, I can tell you iRacing has servers in Australia, and a pretty healthy Aussie community.

We can talk all day about the differences in the sims, but you've got to have a healthy community in your time zone(s), or it's all moot.

Oh! I had assumed IceCreamKimi was Finnish :D

Oh I wish I was. I hate the summer heat here in Oz. Ice cream melts very quickly in 40+ degree heat. :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it was very helpful. I think I'll have a look at iRacing. Takeover makes a good point about timezones and Aussie servers.

You can get 3 months of iRacing for free using code PR-BLANCPAIN2015 here: http://www.iracing.com/membership/

For what content you get with the subscription, you can run series such as Rookie Mazda MX-5 Cup, iRacing Production Car Challenge (runs Pontiac Solstice & MX-5 Roadster), Grand Touring Cup with the Solstice but only when it is running free content tracks (which it does atleast 3 times in a season.)
You can also try out the Spec Racer Ford Challenge when it hits a free track (as the car is free base content). I really recommend this series. Good racing & forum community is REALLY good.

Fixed (as in everyone runs same setup) Cadillac Cup is also available to you when it runs free base content circuits. (Cadillac Cup runs the Cadillac CTS-V Racecar which is plenty fast).

The SRF Challenge is running Laguna Seca next week so if you can haul yourself to D-license before that, you can have a go at it. Same for Grand Touring Cup.

In the oval side you can have a go at Rookie Street Stocks or Advanced Legends Cup (Legends cars at ovals).

For R3E, i enjoy the content i own (ADAC etc) but it is much easier to find the occasional race in iRacing. Much more players which accounts to this.

Thank you for the code and info. A bit more reason to go iRacing.

Makikou

Oh I wish I was. I hate the summer heat here in Oz. Ice cream melts very quickly in 40+ degree heat. :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it was very helpful. I think I'll have a look at iRacing. Takeover makes a good point about timezones and Aussie servers.

Thank you for the code and info. A bit more reason to go iRacing.

No problem, it's free to try and i think everyone should give it a spin. However, since i might be late already but i sent you a PM (right now) with my e-mail if you want to referral me.

No problem, it's free to try and i think everyone should give it a spin. However, since i might be late already but i sent you a PM (right now) with my e-mail if you want to referral me.

No, you're not too late. I'll gladly add you as the person who referred me.

I need to go out for a while now and won't be able to sign up until I get back. If I refer you, it won't reflect poorly on you if I wipe out and take out the field with me will it? :p

Shaneus

Wait, you're Australian?!? It's like we're flooding this thread!

I did sign up but the code you gave me seems to have expired. I used a code I found on the iRacing subreddit (PR-RINGEXPO2015) in it's place to get three months free. I entered you as the person who referred me also, but it seems I needed to have paid for the sub for you to get any monetary benefit :/

Makikou

I did sign up but the code you gave me seems to have expired. I used a code I found on the iRacing subreddit (PR-RINGEXPO2015) in it's place to get three months free. I entered you as the person who referred me also, but it seems I needed to have paid for the sub for you to get any monetary benefit :/

Damn, good to know about the code. Sorry about it also!

Fixed the code on my post.

TJP

I believe R3E has Aussie servers (or will have in time). Netcode works fine and there are people online but it can be a ghost town at times.

That said, nothing can touch iRacing for multiplayer. There is a large group on Overclockers Australia, complete with skins and specific events. Well worth checking out their forum thread for some good banter.

Cheers.

DD

Latest Humble Bundle has some great titles in it!

Anyone know if the GRID Autosport season pass is worth getting for $15? Or the Grid 2 one for that matter? Already have Dirt 3.

No if you'll only play the career mode. There are separate championships for the DLCs on Grid Autosport, which is better than the DLCs in Grid 2, that had nothing (you could only use it online or on quick race events), but I wish I could use it on the career too. :c

Grid Autosport is a great game, btw. It was the best one Codemasters have made for the last gen by a fair margin, in my opinion.

TJP

Latest Humble Bundle has some great titles in it!

Anyone know if the GRID Autosport season pass is worth getting for $15? Or the Grid 2 one for that matter? Already have Dirt 3.
Grid Autosport is excellent. Forget about the low-res cockpits and enjoy the bredth of motorsports it offers. It's the definition of sim-cade (I word I dislike), and it is a tonne of great fun once you get used to it ;)

DLC is okay too.

Grid 2 reminded me a lot of PGR's handling - I didn't mind the game at all, finished it and had great fun doing so however Autosport is a lot more varied and a better all-round game.

Shaneus

No if you'll only play the career mode. There are separate championships for the DLCs on Grid Autosport, which is better than the DLCs in Grid 2, that had nothing (you could only use it online or on quick race events), but I wish I could use it on the career too. :c

Grid Autosport is a great game, btw. It was the best one Codemasters have made for the last gen by a fair margin, in my opinion.
Yeah, already have it so I know :) More wondering about the DLCs for both Grid 2 or Autosport to see if they're worth it. The wiki did say the Autosport season pass comes with a bunch of 90s cars and a separate career, but I can't see it being worth paying an extra $10 for. Grid 2 season pass does come with Bathurst and some decent cars though... hmmmm. Eh, they'll all go on sale on Steam soon enough for a matter of cents, anyway.

Makikou

Aussie Greg Hill has been writing about new sound updates coming to iRacing in the next build!

Attached

This is how it (MP4-30) sounds in the sim from trackside - flatulence and all

No edits or fudging, just a static camera view. The sound is not finished yet and the onboard is still receiving the final polish.
As you can hear there are a lot of sounds going on in this hybrid system - harvesting whines, rattles and turbo noises. The flatulent sound is the MGU-H keeping the turbo spun up as a form of anti turbo lag (my wife's turbo diesel needs this tech badly).
There are 3 complete sonic models for this engine for cockpit, onboard/chase and trackside/distance. This engine is made up of multiple layers but most notably onload, steadyload and offload layers across the RPM range. Plus all the other sounds that need to be hooked up.

Anyway....this is probably my first post in my new role at iRacing so here's some info. If you haven't heard I'm now focusing exclusively on iRacing. I'll be pushing for a better sonic experience as hard as I can and the whole team are eager to support that, hence the reason Steve Myers begged me like a little girl wanting a pony, oh and thanks for the case of Shiraz and a subscription to “The Modern Drunkard” magazine.

On a serious note though, the goal is to develop a more authentic sonic experience and to better communicate the physics and environment. Every aspect of the audio system (including the actual sounds) should serve as sonic clues to deliver useful information to the sim-racer for a greater sense of connection. For example the new particle system for debris and backfires events requires a range of sounds for every permutation the physics can produce. There are 100's of particle sounds for each surface (grass, dirt, marbles, gravel traps) and 1000+ backfires because most are unique to each car. This all makes the whole experience livelier.

We've made changes to tire skid thresholds so the progression to skidding is smoother and communicative about grip levels. The surface sounds have been totally remixed and there are some new engines on the way. I'm pretty excited by this next build and the sounds have really taken the next step. Steve didn't say in his blog but the Ford based stockcars will finally have their own voice and I have source for the Toyota engine sound sitting here ready to be built.

We are drafting an audio road-map and fleshing out ideas that will take the sound of iRacing to a whole new level - very exciting!

Hope you like the MP4-30 sound clip!

As you can see, there was an in-game sound clip of the upcoming Mclaren F1 car aswell, dunno if i can upload it but here's the link to iRacing Forums if you have Membership.

Megasoum

Banned
New pCARS DLC is out including some classic kick ass tracks

http://store.steampowered.com/app/334782/

Historic Classic Team Lotus cars:
- 1965 Lotus Type 40 Ford
- 1963 Lotus Type 25 Climax (F1)
- 1966 Lotus Type 38 Ford (Indy)
- 1967 Lotus Type 51 (FF)

Historic locations:
- Rouen les Essarts
- Hockenheim Classic
- Silverstone Classic

TJP

Steam store - http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/

Kunos also updated AC to version 1.3.5 which includes the Audi R8 V10 Plus as a free car.

1.3.5 changelog:
  • New Audi R8 V10 Plus bonus car
  • Fixed Nissan GT-R Nismo fuel gauge
  • Fixed Mercedes SLS GT3 default tyre texture
  • Fixed Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Hard tyres name, causing issue on MP tyre compound restriction
  • acServer: fixed issue with timing who caused session skipping
  • ksEditor: Added fuel and brakes script tools
  • Corrected Alfa Romeo 4c alignment and setup values
  • Eliminated wrong tags from Ford GT40
  • Works on the tyre heating model continues with new surface rolling heat generation on some cars
  • Performance optimization on car multithread physics
  • New improved smoothing and "anti lag" systems for both client and server"

TJP

Here are the details:
There are only 500 codes available though! First come, first served.

The Black Friday All-In-One deal will give you 87 car models in 24 car classes ready to race. More than 500 unique car liveries also included! The cars span from historic classics to hillclimb racers to modern touring cars, prototypes and GT cars.

The deal also includes 29 highly detailed tracks and hillclimbs spread across the world from The US to Macau and from Germany to Australia. In total you get 65 unique track layouts to race your 500+ unique cars on.

For those with some content:

What kinda discount is that bf deal? How much does all the content cost at full price? Very tempted.

Not sure exactly, but I bet it's a couple hundred bucks for all of it.

----------

I'd love for them to permanently draw a line in the sand, sell all current content as a "game", and move forward with a traditional DLC model. Perhaps this is something of a trial run.

TJP

I'd love for them to permanently draw a line in the sand, sell all current content as a "game", and move forward with a traditional DLC model. Perhaps this is something of a trial run.
I can't see that happening at all any time soon...

I'd say it was the PRC cost article and subsequent S3 forum comments that likely spurred the sale.

Arucardo

That All in One package is really tempting :eek: , only thing holding me back is that recently I've barely touched any of my sims because of work and other stuff.

Top Bottom