• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Wallach

It's the leather set looks like, was looking at that one because it had a clutch.

Edit - console support doesn't really matter to me as it'll be for my Rift setup.

Arucardo

Been trying to figure out where this "VG" term comes from... your post is the first I've seen of it, but now I see all the recent Thrustmaster stuff on Amazon.com says "VG" in front of the names...

Are you looking at the TX Italia or the TX Leather set? There should be quite a difference in price, because the TX Leather comes with a much better rim and pedals.

Either way, you should have no problems running a TX on PC with any of the games you mention. However, unless you need Xbox One support, you may want to consider the T300 or T300 Alcantara (PlayStation-compatible equivalents to the TX Italia and TX Leather).

Def. agree with Betta here, if you don't need the xbox one support you're better off with the T300, especially with the stock rim. The default TX 458 rim is kinda flimsy and plastic compared to the T300 rim.

Got myself the 458 GTE rim a while ago and I doubt I'll ever put the old rim back on.

EDIT: Also, the t300 has 1080 degrees of rotation compared to the TX 900 degrees

Wallach

Def. agree with Betta here, if you don't need the xbox one support you're better off with the T300, especially with the stock rim. The default TX 458 rim is kinda flimsy and plastic compared to the T300 rim.

Got myself the 458 GTE rim a while ago and I doubt I'll ever put the old rim back on.

EDIT: Also, the t300 has 1080 degrees of rotation compared to the TX 900 degrees

Just to be clear, this is the set I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151K6FPC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It seems like it comes with a better rim than the 458 Italia version and the T3PA pedals. The Alcantara/T300 setup looks to be the same price but I haven't seen it in stock for the past week or so.

Arucardo

Just to be clear, this is the set I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151K6FPC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It seems like it comes with a better rim than the 458 Italia version and the T3PA pedals. The Alcantara/T300 setup looks to be the same price but I haven't seen it in stock for the past week or so.

Ah, ok. Besides the extra 180 degrees of rotation (not a big deal in my opinion) and the support for a different console it's pretty much the same wheel :) .

Can't say anything about the pedals though, I use a basherboards adapter to hook my CSR Elite pedals to the TX base, but I'm sure they're fine.

Wallach

B&H Photo has it in stock for the same price as that TX bundle. It's definitely worth going out of your way for.

Hmm, I could do that (though I still have a shitload of Amazon credit I was hoping to do something with) - is it because the Alcantara rim is noticeably better than the leather one?

Edit - I went ahead and ordered the Alcantara set from B&H. Thanks for the heads up and the advice.

Nice one!

As Arucardo says, the extra 180 degrees of rotation of the T300 isn't a deal breaker. Leather is probably a bit more hard-wearing, arguably feels better as it ages, whereas Alcantara feels fantastic from new and isn't so nice once it picks up grease and grime. You may want to race in gloves to look after it (the material works really well with gloves too).

The biggest difference is that the Alcantara rim is 30cm diameter vs the leather's 28cm. 30 is a more accurate size compared to real race car wheels, and if you're hoping to play in VR, it'll mean your hands will line up more accurately with your virtual ones.

Plus the Alcantara rim is so much better looking than the leather one, imo. :)

Beaten, but nice choice Wallach! U dun gud.

As Betta said, the extra 20mm of the alcantara rim is really it's greatest selling point over the other rims available. It's the sweet spot for size. It doesn't sound like much, but believe me, it feels much different in your hands.

Wallach

I might dump some of said Amazon credit into a wheel stand. Was thinking of the newer Wheel Stand Pro, though the shifter mount looks like it'd be kind of high if I pick up a shifter for this setup. If anyone here uses one and has a shifter, is the position as awkward as it looks?

I might dump some of said Amazon credit into a wheel stand. Was thinking of the newer Wheel Stand Pro, though the shifter mount looks like it'd be kind of high if I pick up a shifter for this setup. If anyone here uses one and has a shifter, is the position as awkward as it looks?
I've driven shifters attached to desks at the same height as the wheel, and it is pretty odd (particularly if you're used to driving a real car), but not unusable. In a way it's better (faster to reach the stick for every shift), but it's not realistic (and won't match up in VR).

Wallach

I've driven shifters attached to desks at the same height as the wheel, and it is pretty odd (particularly if you're used to driving a real car), but not unusable. In a way it's better (faster to reach the stick for every shift), but it's not realistic (and won't match up in VR).

Yeah, sounds a little awkward but then I don't really quite have room for a full cockpit style setup and I'm not sure there's a great way to mount a shifter otherwise.

The v2 Wheel Stand Pro on Amazon says T300RS (PS4) - that isn't actually a different base than the one I just ordered, yeah? It only says T300 on the product page.

Yeah, sounds a little awkward but then I don't really quite have room for a full cockpit style setup and I'm not sure there's a great way to mount a shifter otherwise.

The v2 Wheel Stand Pro on Amazon says T300RS (PS4) - that isn't actually a different base than the one I just ordered, yeah? It only says T300 on the product page.
Yeah it'll be the same base.

Zeth

Anyone use mixed panels for triple screen?

Right now using 27" 1440P/90hz Qnix. Thinking about "downgrading" to my secondary 1080p tn and getting two new 24" 1080p monitors for surround. Anybody have experience mixing displays? Shouldn't have problems if they're the same resolution and size, right? Or is it not worth the trouble to save money on one extra monitor?

Anyone use mixed panels for triple screen?

Right now using 27" 1440P/90hz Qnix. Thinking about "downgrading" to my secondary 1080p tn and getting two new 24" 1080p monitors for surround. Anybody have experience mixing displays? Shouldn't have problems if they're the same resolution and size, right? Or is it not worth the trouble to save money on one extra monitor?

Different brands or whatever of the same aspect/rez? Oh no, you'll be fine.

Clopezi

Hi!

I have received the T300RS from Thrustmaster store (was a refurbished unit at 200€), and... i'm very happy!

Steering wheel without marks, the pedals are shining, the engine base (i don't know the english properly name, sorry) come with the cardboard between sections... all appears to be new.

I think that someone has tried this for 10 minutes and returned it, so if maybe another user is thinking to buy it, i would recommend

Makikou

Hi!

I have received the T300RS from Thrustmaster store (was a refurbished unit at 200€), and... i'm very happy!

Steering wheel without marks, the pedals are shining, the engine base (i don't know the english properly name, sorry) come with the cardboard between sections... all appears to be new.

I think that someone has tried this for 10 minutes and returned it, so if maybe another user is thinking to buy it, i would recommend

Well that was quick! Good for you!! I hope there will be no issues. The wheel is absolutely phenomenal!!

the engine base is called the wheel base simply :)

bee

unless you've ever owned a type r! (well it's almost the same height) i miss that gearstick placement

honda_civic_type_r_fik0sl1.jpg

Zeth

URD PX update emails have gone out for RF2 and AC.

The Darche 919 was added - I know what I'll be doing with my Sunday afternoon!

Makikou

Since there's quite a few people from R3E scene here, i'll shoot off a question about my ffb settings.

I rock a T300RS and these wheel settings in-game:

FFB Intensity: 100%
Smoothing: 35%
FFB Spring: 0%
FFB Damper: 0%
FFB Friction: 0%

Steering Force Linearity: 100%
Understeer: 50%
Vertical Load: 100%
Lateral Force: 40%
Steering Rack: 15%

Engine Vibrations: 0%
Brake Vibrations: 5%
Kerb Vibrations: 0%
Shift Effect: 5%

I'd really like a more iRacing-like FFB feel. Driving the Skyline R32 with these settings, it feels okay but in high speed there is this weird floating feel to it, like if i steer a bit to the right, i have to move the wheel back and forth a bit. Don't know if its intended but feels weird as hell.

Also, any idea what can cause freezes? I'm running triples on all high except shadows on medium, no opponent cockpits loaded, 2x AA, fast motion blur medium quality.

FPS feels fine but i get a lot of freezes, especially Nurburgring GP approaching hairpin or chicane @ backstraight.

TJP

Since there's quite a few people from R3E scene here, i'll shoot off a question about my ffb settings.

I rock a T300RS and these wheel settings in-game:

FFB Intensity: 100%
Smoothing: 35%
FFB Spring: 0%
FFB Damper: 0%
FFB Friction: 0%

Steering Force Linearity: 100%
Understeer: 50%
Vertical Load: 100%
Lateral Force: 40%
Steering Rack: 15%

Engine Vibrations: 0%
Brake Vibrations: 5%
Kerb Vibrations: 0%
Shift Effect: 5%

I'd really like a more iRacing-like FFB feel. Driving the Skyline R32 with these settings, it feels okay but in high speed there is this weird floating feel to it, like if i steer a bit to the right, i have to move the wheel back and forth a bit. Don't know if its intended but feels weird as hell.
I know I post the same thing all the time... there is ongoing qorking to nail the base FFB settings. It is frustrating, as a tester we've found the Logitech profiler for G series wheels had hinder as much as it helps.

There is a thread on the RD forums that may help: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wheel-ffb-settings-thread.106914/page-10

Read through it and there should be a solution on a German forum where one S3 dev posts a lot. I've asked a zillion times whybwe don't have a setup as easy as AC or SCE...the answer never comes. I think S3 have modded the isiMotor 2 so much that realfeel wouldn't work with S3's added code.

[/quote]Also, any idea what can cause freezes? I'm running triples on all high except shadows on medium, no opponent cockpits loaded, 2x AA, fast motion blur medium quality.

FPS feels fine but i get a lot of freezes, especially Nurburgring GP approaching hairpin or chicane @ backstraight.[/QUOTE]Without knowing your PC spec's, its hard to offer a great deal of advice. The first thing to go would be motion blur as its largely useless. FXAA can also be turned off. Other aspects to consider as car LOD, all shadow options, car reflections (which look shite on). Read through this thread for more info: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ng-experience-faq-and-game-features-w-i-p.72/

Proper triple screen support is also in progress.

Makikou

I know I post the same thing all the time... there is ongoing qorking to nail the base FFB settings. It is frustrating, as a tester we've found the Logitech profiler for G series wheels had hinder as much as it helps.

There is a thread on the RD forums that may help: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wheel-ffb-settings-thread.106914/page-10

Read through it and there should be a solution on a German forum where one S3 dev posts a lot. I've asked a zillion times whybwe don't have a setup as easy as AC or SCE...the answer never comes. I think S3 have modded the isiMotor 2 so much that realfeel wouldn't work with S3's added code.

Sucks. I really enjoyed the Skyline for a couple o laps. Wish i had a h-shifter for it.

Ah, i run i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz, GTX 670 4gb + 8GB RAM.

Feels like i managed to get rid of the freezes by disabling motion blur and decreasing contact shadows from 32 to 26.

Yeah, i found that german forum.. You need to register for it which sucks. Sigh.
I'll see if i can take a look.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just missed out on buying the T150 for £45 which is an insane price - even cheaper than the t80 which doesn't even have FFB.

Zafir

Just missed out on buying the T150 for £45 which is an insane price - even cheaper than the t80 which doesn't even have FFB.

I'm super excited for mine arriving as someone who has never owned a wheel ever.

Though I'm going to have an issue of where to put it I fear. Not sure my desk will give enough room for it to "clip" onto.

Might have to buy a stand which is going to set me back a good £100.

This is how they make you spend money isn't it, they lure you in with cheap prices and get you into the rabbit hole!

Zafir

What does your desk look like?

Can't seem to find an image of it.

What I'm worried about is whether the pull out thing for my keyboard will mean there isn't enough space for the clamp. There's about 3.5" between the two wood pieces.

I mean it could go on the pullout thing I suppose, but I'm not sure whether that's sturdy enough to hold the weight really.

Makikou

Thanks! I'm trying it and i have a lot of fun.

Do you have 1080º in control panel? I have the feeling that the i have to rotate so much the wheel (soft lock on, of course).

i have 900º in control panel, and then i have wheel saturation set in-game at 60% so i'm cutting a 40% off that 900º making it a sweet 540º which for me is the best in dirt rally.

Wallach

Picked up Project Cars while it is on sale for $20 and just played my first 30 minutes of it in the DK2. Racing sims have to be the coolest shit I have ever seen in VR. Both this and Euro Truck Sim 2 are so goddamn COOL. I haven't had time to use my DK2 a lot so I still get a little bit of disorientation when looking around during a turn or sometimes (at least on the Nurburgring) going up or down the sharper small hills, but it seems to be almost gone. I guess my brain is getting used to the vestibular disagreement.

I can't wait for that wheel to arrive this week. I'm going to truck the shit out of Europe.

Can't seem to find an image of it.

What I'm worried about is whether the pull out thing for my keyboard will mean there isn't enough space for the clamp. There's about 3.5" between the two wood pieces.

I mean it could go on the pullout thing I suppose, but I'm not sure whether that's sturdy enough to hold the weight really.
Unless it can lock very securely, I doubt it. But 3.5" is definitely enough to fit the clamp in between the two sections.

Clopezi

i have 900º in control panel, and then i have wheel saturation set in-game at 60% so i'm cutting a 40% off that 900º making it a sweet 540º which for me is the best in dirt rally.

Amazing, thank you, that was perfect, i'm like a child with a new toy :)

Wallach

That T300 setup that ya'll pointed me towards showed up at the house today. The wheel stand isn't going to show up until tomorrow so I only opened it up to check it out briefly. I'm surprised at how nice the rim feels. Shit's nice. Hopefully the stand arrives on time and I have some time to set it up and take it for a test drive.

Dave_6

Finally got a new 500GB SSD to replace my maxed out 120GB so I think I'm about to finally upgrade to Windows 10. Anyone here that has done the upgrade had any issues with any of the sims out there, especially the older ones like Race 07, GTR2 etc? I'm expecting some of my Assetto Corsa mods not to work afterwards as is.

Makikou

Finally got a new 500GB SSD to replace my maxed out 120GB so I think I'm about to finally upgrade to Windows 10. Anyone here that has done the upgrade had any issues with any of the sims out there, especially the older ones like Race 07, GTR2 etc? I'm expecting some of my Assetto Corsa mods not to work afterwards as is.

Race 07 works fine for me on Windows 10. I upgraded Day 1.

SCE is also perfectly fine, iRacing is fine, rFactor 2 is fine.. i dont own rF1 but i assume that would work too.

TJP

No issue with Windows 10 and all the sims listed. DX9 sims running on Win10 works fine.

You won't see any performance upgrades either...every isiMotor 2 & 2.5 works fine mods included! No AC mods should stop working either.

One trick is to upgrade to Win10, register your product code/key and then do a clean Win10 install. I've read AC doesn't always work (some say it won't start at all) when they've upgraded from an existing Windows install to Win10 and it looks like Kunos don't have a fix. As always, this isn't a 'Golden rule' for all who upgrade, more a word of advice.

Very cool! Glad to see he's still associated with the game, even though since his last appearance he won the championship and could easily have hooked up with iRacing.
I've been in a couple of races with Rubens (or at least someone using his name) on iRacing recently. He crashed out both times, so perhaps it wasn't him. He had reasonable pace though, so who knows!

Sounds about right!

rb2xerly.gif

Just kidding. Rubens generally wasn't a crasher.

If you had said you saw somebody named Pastor Maldonado on iRacing and he crashed, that would have beeen as good as him showing you his passport.

Zafir

And I thought I was getting a good deal at £104. Either way, it's a great wheel. Totally transforms Driveclub.

Agreed on that front.

Wasn't much of a fan of Driveclub when it first came out, if I'm honest. Gave it another shot the other day with the wheel and it just felt so much better.

TJP

A change in the FAQ has caused an internet meltdown (not really)
As of January 28, 2016 you may upgrade from the offline to lifetime version, but only if you previously owned the non-Steam version. If you bought from Steam directly, never owning the non-Steam version, we cannot help you at this time.

Send payment in the same amounts and to the same location listed above. Please send us your non-Steam RF order number or note the email you used to sign into the launcher of the non-Steam version prior to moving your purchase to Steam. Please also tell us in the payment information that this is a Steam upgrade!

In other rF2 news, I've seen AC's Spa has been ripped for use in rF2. I wonder just how long dev's with bother with laser scanning if content is so easily modded and used in other sims.

Top Bottom