• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

@Shawsie good good
@Harvey "AMS" (as I guess they're calling it) might push me over the edge to get one.

Renato posted his wip press release for AMS in the dev forum. Guaranteed to get the hype juices flowing! I guess folks are expecting the beta this week.

Upscaled 720 hz physics and 500 hz input rates (vs 360 hz &100 hz respectively in SCE) grants AMS super-accurate, high fidelity physics and Force Feedback.

Interesting!

TJP

What a job by Reiza!

How close is the telemetry to the real thing...
991GT3_Telemetry_Overlay.png
Based off the file name, it looks to be the not-Porsche 991 GT3

Looking great too!

If anyone states AMS is 'just an rFactor mod' are twats.

Watevaman

Would there be any reason to get GSCE at this point if Automobilista is around the corner? I'm not hurting for racing sims at the moment or anything, but if Auto is gonna have everything GSCE has and more, it'd be better to wait, right?

Would there be any reason to get GSCE at this point if Automobilista is around the corner? I'm not hurting for racing sims at the moment or anything, but if Auto is gonna have everything GSCE has and more, it'd be better to wait, right?

Nope, just wait. The cutoff for GSC owners to get a free upgrade to Automobilista has past, so just hang on until it comes out.

Zeth

Just wanted to make more people aware of this amazing mod track for Assetto Corsa: Lake Louise

https://youtu.be/BQ0_GbivAGc

I think a donation of any amount gets you access to the full mountain, including the 50km "Grand Loop". One of the coolest accomplishments I've seen in the mod community, and probably one of the longest hand-made mod roads. If you're into cruising, or thrashing street cars (which is one of AC's strengths imo) - this is a must. Fair warning it is quite bumpy in places (deliberately), which makes it somewhat unpleasant for track cars.

Dave_6

^Yeah that's one fantastic mod! I made two laps of the whole Grand Loop the other night in the McLaren F1 GTR and it's so much fun.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just wanted to make more people aware of this amazing mod track for Assetto Corsa: Lake Louise

https://youtu.be/BQ0_GbivAGc

I think a donation of any amount gets you access to the full mountain, including the 50km "Grand Loop". One of the coolest accomplishments I've seen in the mod community, and probably one of the longest hand-made mod roads. If you're into cruising, or thrashing street cars (which is one of AC's strengths imo) - this is a must. Fair warning it is quite bumpy in places (deliberately), which makes it somewhat unpleasant for track cars.

I tried the 23 km version just yesterday. I drove away from the hotel and went left at the first intersection. After a minute or so, my car fell through the geometry. Not from off track or a ditch, but from the center of the right lane. Glitch, or the mod's way to tell me to buy the full version?

TJP

Reiza Studios said:
Automobilista Beta - is now available on Steam to campagin backers!
All backers from level 2 onwards have beta access.

Official forum release info: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/automobilista-beta-is-up-on-steam.117764/

Reiza Studios said:
It has been a long and hard road, but we are now very happy to announce Automobilista Beta is available for backers to download via Steam!

Important notes about AMS Beta:
  • Do make sure to remove your old SCE Beta files before installing AMS Beta - AMS will not run with SCE config.ini or PLR files;
  • The AMS Config tool now includes an option to enable SweetFX shaders - we recommend this is enabled. If you do, you must force AA settings from your video driver control panel (also recommended for better quality / performance);
  • The multiplayer lobby is not set up yet and Dedicated tool will not run - all beta multiplayer races are supposed to be concentrated on our test servers, which you can join via IP (more about this soon);
  • Time Trial mode is not finished yet;
  • From the contents proposed in the campaign, the Marcas Honda Civic, Boxer Cup, Copa Montana and Virginia Raceway are not in this beta - Honda Civic might make it before release, the other 3 will come in future updates;
  • Localization for non-english languages has not been updated yet;
  • Track conditions are by default set to medium. The "old" stactic grip was generally somewhere between what is currently "medium" and "heavy" setings. You can adjust these presets as well as accelerate the progression rate from the session menu;
  • Track conditions are not currently cumulative from session to session, so every time you advance a session you revert back to the original preset configuration; this will change to build up over the course of the race weekend;
  • The AI in new cars is still a WIP;
  • DynHUD is still being worked on, and its missing most of the TV widgets (DynHUD automatically switches from gameplay HUD to TV camera overlays when you view from trackside TV cams);
  • The old native HUD is still available by pressing "5" to switch between DynHUD, Native HUD, and no HUD at all. The native HUD still has the SCE tacho, that will be replaced;
  • We do not recommend the conversions of SCE car / track mods to AMS Beta just yet; if you feel confortable trying to experiment with that, please make sure to note it down in your bug reports;
  • There is no support for old SCE based plugins; they may work, but generally they should require updates to work with the latest code structure.

TJP

Changelog:

• Revised FFB values to address rattling / performance issues with some wheels (make sure not to use old controller presets)
  • Revised Supertruck physics & AI
  • Revised Supertruck layouts & added Kansai, Cordoba layouts
  • Added HUD type spinner to display UI
  • Adjusted HUD font for message center & LCD
  • Revised sound effect volume mixing for all cars
  • Fixed bug with dirt residue sound from Rallycross lingering on for a bit after changing to another car
  • Fixed some minor UI issues
  • Fixed LOD issue causing Supertruck stuttering
  • Fixed bug with F-classic qualifying tires
  • Fixed bug with brake / headlight shaders in some cars
  • Fixed some errors in F-V10 skins
  • Fixed Londrina 1 loading error
  • Fixed nightlighting issue in Interlagos Chicane
  • Fixed TiresAndBrakeWidgetnot not reappearing when gaining back player control from the AI
  • Fixed error with DynHUD occasionally not working with Metalmoro MR18
  • Fixed Lancer Rallycross driver names
  • Added required DirectX 9.0c install to folder

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been here. The thread has grown quite a bit!

I haven't been playing any racing sims lately since I've given up on using a controller. However it looks like I'm going to be gifted a G29 and was hoping if someone here knows if it is compatible with GSCE, RFactor 2 and the upcoming Automobilista?

If so, are there any issues I should know about? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about some people having issues and others saying it's fine, in particular the FFB not working.

TJP

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been here. The thread has grown quite a bit!

I haven't been playing any racing sims lately since I've given up on using a controller. However it looks like I'm going to be gifted a G29 and was hoping if someone here knows if it is compatible with GSCE, RFactor 2 and the upcoming Automobilista?

If so, are there any issues I should know about? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about some people having issues and others saying it's fine.
Good to have you back.

The latest Logitech wheels should work fine with the latest software installed on the PC. rF2 should detect the wheel automatically, as should AC. Logitech have a list of games they've tested the G29 with on on their website. I've seen a few videos of people using a G29 with GSCE and soon to be AMS.

Having said that, the Logitech forums aren't exactly filled with happy people so YMMV. Race Department has a G29 review thread too and they tested most of the modern PC sim racing titles.

The state of PC wheels sucks - Logitech won't move on from their G25 based tech, Thrustmaster upped their prices and the quality of their product varies as does the after sales care, Fanatec hardware is very pricey and the QA & support is often reported as average and the Direct Drive wheels often cost more than second hand car.

Good to have you back.

The latest Logitech wheels should work fine with the latest software installed on the PC. rF2 should detect the wheel automatically, as should AC. Logitech have a list of games they've tested the G29 with on on their website. I've seen a few videos of people using a G29 with GSCE and soon to be AMS.

Having said that, the Logitech forums aren't exactly filled with happy people so YMMV. Race Department has a G29 review thread too and they tested most of the modern PC sim racing titles.

The state of PC wheels sucks - Logitech won't move on from their G25 based tech, Thrustmaster upped their prices and the quality of their product varies as does the after sales care, Fanatec hardware is very pricey and the QA & support is often reported as average and the Direct Drive wheels often cost more than second hand car.

Thanks for the info.

I just read AussieStig's review and am not exactly blown away from what he has experienced. A reddit post is making me nervous since it seems a crapload of options have been taken away.

For someone with a humble budget (around $400 AU give or take) is there any decent alternative I should look into? My main sims would be as before, rFactor 2, GSCE and upcoming AUTOMOBILISTA. Or is the G29 really my only viable option?

TJP

For someone with a humble budget (around $400 AU give or take) is there any decent alternative I should look into? My main sims would be as before, rFactor 2, GSCE and upcoming AUTOMOBILISTA.
Seems absolutely mental that $400 buys you not a hell of a lot of options...I asked the guys at Sector 3 which wheel to buy that wasn't a Direct Drive or Fanatec given the cost to import one into Australia and the response was the T300RS. They acknowledge the pedals suck but felt it was the best 'budget' wheel.
Inside Sim Racing said:
A lot of people have asked me how it compares to the T500 and which wheel do I prefer. I like both wheel a lot but I currently prefer the T300. If you prefer a wheel that has a heavier feel with a tad more built in damping, you may want the T500. I feel that the T300 turns a bit quicker and has a smoother feel when turning
From here: http://www.isrtv.com/inside-sim-racing-episodes/thrustmaster-t300-rs-pc-review/

The only part that sucks is the T300RS is $100 above your budget...wait for a sale perhaps? eBay doesn't have a lot of options and our location sucks for bargains.

eBay doesn't have a lot of options and our location sucks for bargains.

You got that straight, it's the old Australia tax.

The T300 seems to have good FFB but doesn't have a clutch, unless you fork out another $150 for the 3 pedal addon. The G29 is the other way around, seems like the FFB is poor but comes with a clutch pedal.

So confused.

Lach

Speaking of Wheels.

Having had the chance to upgrade to fanatec csw2 set for a reduced price, I have on offer to gaffer:

- for free - G27 (wheel + pedals + shifter)
or
- for 100€ - T500RS (Wheel + F1 Ferrari Wheel + Pedals + TH8A Shifter)

both used but still in good condition. Needs to be picked up near Zurich or pay all shipping costs.

TJP

The T300 seems to have good FFB but doesn't have a clutch, unless you fork out another $150 for the 3 pedal addon. The G29 is the other way around, seems like the FFB is poor but comes with a clutch pedal.

So confused.
The T300 pedals can be upgraded (at a significant cost) and that's when the T500 starts to make sense..I can recall when the T500 was under $500AUD, now it's 40% more expensive.

One of the Sector 3 dev's mentioned he used a T300 in combination with modded G27 pedal set using a Leo Bodnar cable. Of course this adds more complexity and waiting around for a cable.

Thrustmaster 150 is under your budget but I've no idea about that wheel and the Thrustmaster TX Servo Base is around your price mark but you need pedals and a wheel!

Cheers.

So confused.

I have the TX basic wheel and pedals (without clutch) unused as leftover. I wouldn't want any money for it, but I live in germany and you'd have to paypal me packaging and shipping. Also I wouldn't recommend the wheel to anyone - too light for its diameter. The pedals should be ok... just no clutch. You'd still have to buy a TX base though, that is now more pricey than when I bought the whole thing with pedals and wheel 2 years ago (237€ and it wasn't even on sale).

TJP

Has anyone used the following before?

Simraceway SRW-S1 steering wheel

https://www.simraceway.com/srw-s1_steering_wheel

Thinking about trying this once it comes back in stock.
I've never used the wheel however the page you link to shows some decent reviews. To me the SRW-S1 steering wheel looks a bit like the Mario Kart wheel add-on for the Wii and works in the same way. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the wheel to come back as SRW has been in a state of limbo for a while now.

Having read the SRW forums - "The State of Simraceway" thread - it looks as if Ignite are killing off SRW slowly. New members cannot create accounts and no one can download cars and tracks.

SRW_Cossacco said:
Most of the team that used to work on Simraceway since November 2013 has stopped by the end of May 2015. In September 2015, I was also asked to stop. Ever since then I'm just trying to make sure that it's running at the minimum pace, purely for all those of you who are still supporting it

One staff member said they'd thought about moving to Steam in 2014, a move I bet they'd wish was made. I gave SRW $20 and enjoyed what I played - all the tracks were free and the cars drove like isiMotor 2 cars do.

Effect

I've never used the wheel however the page you link to shows some decent reviews. To me the SRW-S1 steering wheel looks a bit like the Mario Kart wheel add-on for the Wii and works in the same way. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the wheel to come back as SRW has been in a state of limbo for a while now.

Having read the SRW forums - "The State of Simraceway" thread - it looks as if Ignite are killing off SRW slowly. New members cannot create accounts and no one can download cars and tracks.

One staff member said they'd thought about moving to Steam in 2014, a move I bet they'd wish was made. I gave SRW $20 and enjoyed what I played - all the tracks were free and the cars drove like isiMotor 2 cars do.

Ah I see. I didn't have time to read the forums when I posted. Thanks.

TJP

Changelog below:

• Added Dedicated Server tool
  • Added Goania Short track layout + Spielberg Short Supertruck layout
  • Various DynHUD updates
  • Added extra default realfeel FFB smoothing for various cars
  • Updated tire bump, display texture & caliper position for Supetruck
  • Fixed F-cLassic black squares on cockpit sides
  • Fixed issues with F-V10 tire textures
  • Updated default start type for SuperTruck layouts (standing only)
  • Various UI fixes
  • Refactored the replay of looping sounds
  • Adjusted tire softness of several cars to reduce excessive flatspotting effects
  • New pitbox skins for Stock Car 2015

Should I even bother posting these as no one seems all that interested 8(

Darkdeus

Man the AUTOMOBILISTA Beta is amazing so far!! The updated physics and FFB tickrate feels so good. Graphically it looks a lot better too. The updated road textures and tracks give you a fantastic sense of speed! I can't wait until they add rift support to this.

Karak

Good to have you back.

Christ I just want a Xbox One and PC racing wheel. This is insane.
That reddit thread and the Logitech thread absolutely solidified that I am not getting a G29.

Wait and the TX wheels have issues in Forza 6...this is like a damned nightmare lol.

TJP

In Automobilista, is rally driving a serious part of the game or just a little extra?
It's a little extra - I'm sure Reiza will make it as close to 'serious' as possible or as isiMotor 2 allows. I think it's pretty good as it is now.

Christ I just want a Xbox One and PC racing wheel. This is insane.
That reddit thread and the Logitech thread absolutely solidified that I am not getting a G29.

Wait and the TX wheels have issues in Forza 6...this is like a damned nightmare lol.

What issues do people have with the Thrustmaster TX and Forza 6? I have one for Forza myself and every ForzaGAF member that is playing with a wheel has a TX as well (to my knowledge). I've never heard of technical issues with the game.

You really should be fine with it.

Karak

What issues do people have with the Thrustmaster TX and Forza 6? I have one for Forza myself and every ForzaGAF member that is playing with a wheel has a TX as well (to my knowledge). I've never heard of technical issues with the game.

You really should be fine with it.

Man there are forums posts all over about some kind of FFB issue with it pulling to the left suddenly and going ape. Enough that even Thrustmaster informed them(dev) and it hasn't been fixed since day one. Looks like it might not hit everyone but it hits a large amount and can just start happening randomly.
Sadly thats pretty much the one I want it for and its just too much money to splurge and see that suddenly come up.

It's funny how rallycross, and supertrucks really make the sim feel a lot more expansive. There's just so much to do now! Did they ever commit one way or another on formula truck making it in? That would really push it over the edge.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying the AMS beta so far. Yeah, it's rough in a most areas, but when it's all cleaned up it's going to be a lovely step up from SCE.

Man there are forums posts all over about some kind of FFB issue with it pulling to the left suddenly and going ape. Enough that even Thrustmaster informed them(dev) and it hasn't been fixed since day one. Looks like it might not hit everyone but it hits a large amount and can just start happening randomly.
Sadly thats pretty much the one I want it for and its just too much money to splurge and see that suddenly come up.
Right, sorry, now that you mention it, I've heard of this issue...
But I don't know, if I were you, I'd still buy it, patch it to the newest firmware and if that pull-to-left issue comes up with your wheel within a few days, send it back. Personally I've never had problems with the TX wheel in Forza 6.

The Supertrucks are amazing. Carrying the inside front wheel around left turns is stupid fun lap after lap.

I love how it's both a pat on the back, and a warning shot. You're doing it right!! But! If you give it any more juice, I will flip your sorry ass on it's side!

TJP

Build Feb 24 changelog:

• DynHUD Updates : DeltaTimesWidget keeps it's stored values even over a HUD reload; Highly reduced delay for start lights; Viewed vehicle is now correctly handled; Handles alt-tabbing to the desktop
  • UI Updates: Steering rotation added to garage + several fixes
  • Flatspotting updates: No more flatspotting in low grip surfaces (like grass or dirt) or vibration when off the ground; Switching tire wear off now also switches off flatspotting; Further refinement to flatspotting thresholds and severity (less low load sensitivity, wider & more progressive range to higher final severity)
  • FFB updates: Reduced excessive smoothing level added in previous build & "parking" forces;
  • Audio updates: Improved Supertruck sounds + Corrected road rolling & skid effects
  • Added Salvador Supertruck layout & corrected issues with Goiania Short layouts
  • corrected mirror position in F-V10
  • Fixed steering wheel pivot point and moved LCD display for better view in Marcas Ford Focus
  • Fixed glass transparency issues in StockV8
  • Added final pit box skins for Stock Car 2015 teams
  • Removed excessive infield ad boards at Cordoba, Goiania and Guaporé

Karak

Right, sorry, now that you mention it, I've heard of this issue...
But I don't know, if I were you, I'd still buy it, patch it to the newest firmware and if that pull-to-left issue comes up with your wheel within a few days, send it back. Personally I've never had problems with the TX wheel in Forza 6.

I could but thats a heady amount to spend just to see if I am not one of the ones who has it and then float that cash while I return it or worse yet just keep hoping it won't happen.. Tonight I happened to mention it to someone in my lan group and a f*cking ton of them have the issue like 13 or 14 out of the 20 odd that have the game. Like most have switched to pad for Forza...:( I guess its just known now. I saw it on a couple reviews but it never really clicked until the post was linked here to reddit and from there to all these other places.

Honestly I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. Maybe I will just risk the G29 and its PC issues. I am contemplating selling the game(forza) and maybe returning to it in a year or so once that's fixed(not likely) or a new game comes and doesn't have the issue.

I have the left pull issue though putting vibration on 0 makes it a relatively rare occurrence.

Ya a couple of the lanners said that as well. But it was still an occurrence and at that much money and basically being forced to turn off a feature...I just can't see a console wheel costing that much without just working fine on all titles. And the assumption is it will never get patched. I guess it started day one.

Who knows. Still thinking about it but its a massive purchase for me and if my wife then saw me packing it up a couple days/weeks later...lol.

Top Bottom