• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

terrible

Banned
I really need to sort out my rF2 settings. It looks like an N64 game since I've turned everyone to low and I still can't keep 60 frames a second. I have no such problem with project cars of assetto corsa. Criminally poor performance and I don't know why.

Shaneus

A change in the FAQ has caused an internet meltdown (not really)

In other rF2 news, I've seen AC's Spa has been ripped for use in rF2. I wonder just how long dev's with bother with laser scanning if content is so easily modded and used in other sims.
That is written so damn poorly. Why did it cause a meltdown? If it's the same price, was the big news that it wasn't already doable if you bought it outside of Steam?

TJP

That is written so damn poorly. Why did it cause a meltdown? If it's the same price, was the big news that it wasn't already doable if you bought it outside of Steam?
I was kidding ;) I believe there are 4 of us who use rF2 on a regular basis based on the responses here.

In case anyone missed it, one can change their rF2 settings to download the latest beta build (or previous releases). This is for those who are interested in 'testing' upcoming fixes and features or getting onto a server using an older build.

TJP

Updatde notes below; Steam users have the update automatically download ;)

ISI said:
This build includes quite a few fixes and tweaks that should make our long time users pretty happy! Being able to cancel damage repair, using only the latest version of an installed vehicle file and even allowing secondary driving controls, which we were asked to do in support of disabled racers participating in team events with differing controls. We know some of these things have been asked about, so we’re happy to continue to deliver.

Build Notes:
FEATURES:
————-
Water temperature now starts at the same value as oil temperature.
Added a few more details to lap records in CCH file.
Added the ability to use alternate controls for throttle, brake, and steering (they are at the bottom of the list of driving controls in the UI). Note that the alternate controls do NOT support ramping which is normally useful for driving with keyboards or buttons, so it preferable to select only analog devices for the alternate controls.
Added ability to cancel damage repair during a pitstop.
Added the ability to paste clipboard text into text boxes.
Added ability to open hyperlinks with a click that show up in the multiplayer chatbox.
Doubled useable dictionary length to 512 to prevent cutting off of some Italian tuning descriptions.
Qualifying on by default for new playerfiles.
Replaced ‘_’ characters with spaces in opponent filter list display.
Race Event rfm icon can now be a TGA, JPG, or PNG as well as the still supported DDS
Safety car with lights (thanks to traveller)

FIXES:
————-
Fixed problem where a broken engine would become fixed and indestructible after rejoining.
Backup plan for the problem where pit arrow sometimes isn’t available after driver swaps: borrow the grid arrow instead.
Fixed (removed) extra useless multihead onboard cameras.
Only allow admins to issue /pitby* commands.
Fixed wrong gdb data getting loaded for tracks that have multiple versions installed.
Now ignoring duplicate veh files when building vehicle manager list. Only latest version of vehicle will be included.
Tightened up text input boxes to prevent drawing outside of box.
Fixed virtual vehicle loading with random car if base vehicle not found.

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
———————
Mod mode show pitlanes & special waypoints now work correctly with multiple pit lanes.
Enabled Ctrl-D physics tool in public Mod Mode build.
Command line option added for Mod Manager: -b[DatFile] [index ...] = build mod/cmp at specified indices from DatFile. Use -help if needed.

TJP

Details here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/kunos-previews-version-1-5-track-improvements.117173/

12647375_1323632514329730_1938316857838484122_n-jpg.120715

terrible

Banned
I hope that doesn't affect performance much since it does look a fair bit better. As it is now Assetto probably runs better than any other sim I own and I really like that about it.

Updatde notes below; Steam users have the update automatically download ;)
I think it's been a year now since rF2 added any new features that I'd notice. The only things I'm waiting for in rF2 now are:
FEATURES:
------
-Rubbered-in sections of track are slippery when wet
-AI has 'wet-path' line, avoiding the main racing line when wet
-AI difficulty are no longer global and are now track specific.

FIXES
-------
-Upon full course yellow, the AI now coasts down to the Safety Car speed instead of braking.
-Fixed full course yellows AI ordering bug, where some cars were in a perpetual state of trying to let the other car through, resulting in all cars crawling around at 1mph.
-Better tyre strategies from the AI

I've given up hope though.

In fact, I'm kinda down on all sims at the moment. Content comes thick and fast, but features and fixes from all developers are glacial at best. C'mon Reiza, blow me away!

TJP

I think it's been a year now since rF2 added any new features that I'd notice. The only things I'm waiting for in rF2 now are:

FEATURES:
------
-Rubbered-in sections of track are slippery when wet
-AI has 'wet-path' line, avoiding the main racing line when wet
-AI difficulty are no longer global and are now track specific.

FIXES
-------
-Upon full course yellow, the AI now coasts down to the Safety Car speed instead of braking.
-Fixed full course yellows AI ordering bug, where some cars were in a perpetual state of trying to let the other car through, resulting in all cars crawling around at 1mph.
-Better tyre strategies from the AI

I've given up hope though.

In fact, I'm kinda down on all sims at the moment. Content comes thick and fast, but features and fixes from all developers are glacial at best. C'mon Reiza, blow me away!
Reiza sure will thanks to the public funding ;)

The problem as I see it is most of the PC dev's are tiny and changes are slow to happen because there aren't enough people to do everything in a timely fashion.

From what I see at Sector 3 is this: the dev's already know what they need to do to 'fix' R3E e.g. day-night cycle, full weather, better FFB, improved tyre model, create new tracks and cars, better BoP between cars & better mutliplayer code. The dev team have pressure from the publisher (RaceRoom AG) to keep pumping out new content to keep the customers happy while at the same time create brand experiences (i.e. DTM and ADAC packages) that need to be approved by the licence holders and fix all of the existing and newly created issues - all at the same time!

Sector 3 has a lack of human resources - with Jay Ekkel gone, 10 people remain at the studio in a fulltime role. Can you imagine trying to fix the problems with so few people whilst trying to keep the publisher happy? I can't and that's why R3E is in the shape it's in today.

I'd imagine ISI have minimal staff working on rF2 and Reiza is likely as small as Sector 3. SMS are about the only decent sized studio (100+ people from what Ian Bell has stated). There is very little money to be made from PC racing simulations that are in the so-called 'hardcore' category.

The sad reality is one needs to look at consoles for a more complete experience or play older PC racing sims.

TheBear

What's the difference between SCE and automobilista (if any)?
Hopefully the UI is (significantly) improved, and there's a little more 'game' in there

EDIT: holy shit did I see hands on that steering wheel? Could it be??

TJP

What's the difference between SCE and automobilista (if any)?
I guess not everyone jumped on the crowd funding 8)

From Reiza's website:

Beyond the brazilian core, AUTOMOBILISTA is extensively complemented with one of the most diverse selections or racing vehicles to be found in a racing game: only in AUTOMOBILISTA will you be able to jump from a rental kart to a 800-HP F1 car; from drifting a Rallycross Evo X to jumping ramps in a Supertruck; from mastering the driving basics in a Formula Vee to managing a full 24h race in an endurance prototype; back and forth through time with historical and modern content including a sample from several decades of Grand Prix racing - all of this and much more within a few mouse clicks. Thoroughly researched and cohesively developed for maximum simulation accuracy, AUTOMOBILISTA captures the fun only motorsports in its various forms can provide.

In addition to the content already present in Stock Car Extreme - all of which comprehensively upgraded - AUTOMOBILISTA turns it up to a new level by adding all the new cars & tracks proposed in the SimRacing Bonanza crowdfunding campaign, new simulation features such as dynamic track conditions, advanced transmission and tire modelling, substantial upgrades to physics, graphics & audio, new game modes and much more!
I've bolded the most interesting parts, some of which you can currently do (e.g. night race) and a few features are only found in rF2 until now.

The problem as I see it is most of the PC dev's are tiny and changes are slow to happen because there aren't enough people to do everything in a timely fashion.
Indeed. ISI lost one of their two programmers early last year, so as much as we'd like to see those AI bugs fixed, I'm not sure we ever will.

BTW, do we know the size of dev teams?

ISI: 3 + an unknown number of 3rd party 'official content' modders
Reiza: 5?
Sector 3: 10
Kunos: 12?

TJP

Indeed. ISI lost one of their two programmers early last year, so as much as we'd like to see those AI bugs fixed, I'm not sure we ever will.

BTW, do we know the size of dev teams?

ISI: 3 + an unknown number of 3rd party 'official content' modders
Reiza: 5?
Sector 3: 10
Kunos: 12?

ISI - 2 track developers, no idea about the rest as Linked In says '11-50' staff.

Reiza - added a couple of 2D freelance artists according to their FB page however I'd be floored if there are more than 5 full time people. I can't find any other data 8(

Sector 3 - CEO Chris Speed stated '10-11 full time staff' to Redbull.com. Subtract Jay Ekkel who now works for Kylotonn Games and it's 9-10 people tops.

Kunos - I read 12 core people work for Kunos (I'm sure someone could count the names in the credits) with the rest coming from 505 Games for the console version.

TheBear

I guess not everyone jumped on the crowd funding 8)

From Reiza's website:

I've bolded the most interesting parts, some of which you can currently do (e.g. night race) and a few features are only found in rF2 until now.

I did jump onto the crowdfunding, just haven't been paying attention :p

At the time though I only backed the minimum ($30?) to unlock SCE so it's pretty cool I'm getting the new game too!

TJP

I did jump onto the crowdfunding, just haven't been paying attention :p

At the time though I only backed the minimum ($30?) to unlock SCE so it's pretty cool I'm getting the new game too!
All good 8) You have access to the development forum on Race Department; Reiza are always posting on there all the time and there is a lot of great info as to what is to come.

Tried Reiza's V8 Supercar and then SMS's version - are they even modelled on the same race series? Reiza's shits all over the SMS version and sounds way better too. SMS looks very pretty so there's that.

TJP

It's nearly here...not ready to go just yet. Check your Steam account to make sure it's in your game list and keep an eye on the RD forum ;)

CxnkENp.png

*Taken from RD

Reiza Studios said:
It´s better to uninstall SCE Beta and start fresh when AMS Beta is available (keeping in mind it will still take another 1-2 weeks).

Watevaman

That gravel has to be a placeholder texture...

I thought the same thing at first, but after looking at it a bit more closely, it looks more like real gravel traps do. Most gravel traps are raked pretty deep and the aggregate itself is usually thick pieces. The first shot looks more like smooth sand, whereas the second looks like it should. I think the angle isn't giving it the depth it probably has.

Shaneus

I thought the same thing at first, but after looking at it a bit more closely, it looks more like real gravel traps do. Most gravel traps are raked pretty deep and the aggregate itself is usually thick pieces. The first shot looks more like smooth sand, whereas the second looks like it should. I think the angle isn't giving it the depth it probably has.
The depth, size and scale might be right, but the texture resolution is horrid.

TJP

Is there any way to turn the CA off in Assetto?

It really hurts my eyes.
Turn off the post processing (and gain at least 40fps) or turn the quality right down.

Failing that, Race Department has a number of fettled post processing filters - the Black Celica's and Natural Graphics are a good start.

Yebis post processing is an eye sore no matter which game it's used in.

LostDonkey

Turn off the post processing (and gain at least 40fps) or turn the quality right down.

Failing that, Race Department has a number of fettled post processing filters - the Black Celica's and Natural Graphics are a good start.

Yebis post processing is an eye sore no matter which game it's used in.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot next time I boot it up. Do race departments mods work again now? I had to delete them all when it came out of Early Acess because they didn't work anymore and caused crashes etc and I haven't really put much time into it since.

Shaneus

Don't know how many are interested in this sport; given how shite the Next Car Game "early access" development has panned out, I feel Big Any may have missed the boat on the public funding craze.
Yup. Them and Stainless/Carmageddon :/

Branson

Big Any Studios are looking for backers toake another Sprint Car (Dirt oval) racing sim for PC and console. $266K is the lowest tier..

Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigant/big-ant-dirt-track-racing

Don't know how many are interested in this sport; given how shite the Next Car Game "early access" development has panned out, I feel Big Any may have missed the boat on the public funding craze.

I loved their old Dirt Oval games on console. Way different from Wreckfest though. This is more towards the sim side of the actual sport. I didnt know Big Ant was still around.

Arucardo

Sadly you're right, there's more bad examples of early access/crowd funding for racing and driving games than good ones. Dirt Rally is one example of early access done right though, pretty impressed on how that turned out.

TJP

Sadly you're right, there's more bad examples of early access/crowd funding for racing and driving games than good ones. Dirt Rally is one example of early access done right though, pretty impressed on how that turned out.
Dirt Rally is an exception as its Codmasters who have name recognition, a proven game engine, the Dirt series name for marketing and we have Steam refunds to help the consumer.

Big Ant has none of this and I doubt many people even know who Big Ant are! If our government had any brains, they'd support game development/IT but they're to busy with other things (eg illegal detention centers) to worry about supporting what has become the largest entertainment industry.

TJP

rf2-toban-raceway-jpg.121531

*picture from RD

Luc Van Camp said:
So what can you expect in the not-so-distant future? As explained by Scott, the track owners are operating on a low budget and they haven't had a chance to modernize the infrastructure too much. But it definitely isn't an upgraded conversion brought to our latest standards. It is a scratch built track, made with modern techniques and populated with our finest props to date. Going for the scratch built option does require a lot more time and effort, but it was a necessity in order to address the oversized scaling of most original rF1 objects which were used to fill the scene with as few objects as possible -- in turn a necessity for the hardware requirements a decade ago
All sounds rather tasty to me ;)

Shawsie64

Banned
Is there any way to just download all released content for RF2?

I swear I bought it back in the day when it was beta, but have no idea how to activate the demo or check if I own the game before I pull the trigger on the steam version

Top Bottom