• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Neil_J_UK

Damn.

Was really hoping for a sale on Assetto Corsa in the Summer Sale, missed out when it was reduced the other week.

Edit: Wait! Yes it is! It just wasn't showing as being on sale in my wishlist. Awesome.

terrible

Banned
So all the R3E content is 50% off. I'll for sure at least buy the Nurburgring stuff but what else is a must-buy? I sort of wish I didn't miss out on the black friday sale where all DLC was like ~$70 Canadian. With the Steam sale it's $90 for everything right now.

Watevaman

So all the R3E content is 50% off. I'll for sure at least buy the Nurburgring stuff but what else is a must-buy? I sort of wish I didn't miss out on the black friday sale where all DLC was like ~$70 Canadian. With the Steam sale it's $90 for everything right now.

Group 5 pack is worth it and I also enjoy the old DTM cars.

Group 5 pack is worth it and I also enjoy the old DTM cars.

^^ This man knows what's up!
The BMW M3 E30 Group A from the Touring Classics is probably my favorite car though. The BMW M1, the Prinz and Lada are fun too.

I hadn't even realized it was 50%-off-days again. I think I'm gonna buy Paul Ricard and the IMSA and GT3 Nissans. Maybe... Bathurst?!!??? Group 5 and Bathurst sounds cool.

Vash63

I already own Assetto Corsa but am waiting for full Vive support to play it... should I pick up Project CARS too? I've heard a lot of people say Assetto Corsa is the better game.

terrible

Banned
This R3E stuff is actually really confusing. I didn't notice until now that the bundles on Steam are totally different than the bundles on the RaceRoom website. I had planned on getting the Nurburgring Legends pack on Steam but then I'd be getting doubles of cars if I then bought the Group 5 pack on the RaceRoom website.

This game is a mess.

DD

I'm gonna grab the WTCC 2015 pack on steam and probably some stuff on their website too, maybe some GT3 cars (BMW Z4 and the RUF), and some tracks. I'm probably gonna skip Assetto Corsa, tho. I'm not sure...

Ark

Picking up Assetto Corsa & Dream Packs after a long time of not jumping on that wagon.

Really fighting the urge this week to order an Oculus Rift.

Shaneus

Hm. Project CARS is cheap. GOTY is not that cheap. Worth shelling out the extra for the GOTY, or is it mostly content I won't really use unless I put in heaps of hours?

DD

Guys, wait for the dailys. If what you want don't appear there, buy it on the last day. About Project Cars, if the PS4 is a good measure, I really don't recomend it. It's awesome when it works, but the problem is: it doesn't 99% of the time.

Watevaman

Guys, wait for the dailys. If what you want don't appear there, buy it on the last day. About Project Cars, if the PS4 is a good measure, I really don't recomend it. It's awesome when it works, but the problem is: it doesn't 99% of the time.

There are no dailies anymore. Everything is on sale the max amount throughout the whole thing.

DD

There are no dailies anymore. Everything is on sale the max amount throughout the whole thing.

Oh, I though they had brought it back this time. =/

EDIT: I'm thinking about getting Game Stock Car Extreme. I know that Automobilista is coming out soon, but it's till kind of expensive, and I'm not really interested in stadium trucks and rallycross. If Automobilista had the new Stock Cars I'd be more interested. Is GSCE worth it?

Branson

Oh, I though they had brought it back this time. =/

EDIT: I'm thinking about getting Game Stock Car Extreme. I know that Automobilista is coming out soon, but it's till kind of expensive, and I'm not really interested in stadium trucks and rallycross. If Automobilista had the new Stock Cars I'd be more interested. Is GSCE worth it?

Stadium Trucks are so good though. lol. But yeah GSCE is good, AMS is where the current updates are going to though.

DD

Stadium Trucks are so good though. lol. But yeah GSCE is good, AMS is where the current updates are going to though.

Yeah, I heard so. The problem is that it seems something that it's just there, like the rallycross and hillclimb on Dirt Rally, without any real depth, without lot's of tracks, etc. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, regarding GSCE, is it possible to set long single player championships?

TJP

This R3E stuff is actually really confusing. I didn't notice until now that the bundles on Steam are totally different than the bundles on the RaceRoom website. I had planned on getting the Nurburgring Legends pack on Steam but then I'd be getting doubles of cars if I then bought the Group 5 pack on the RaceRoom website.

This game is a mess.
The publisher is to blame and not the dev team :(

There is a 50% off sale and a Summer Special Package. This is what you get in the Summer Special Pack for 49.99 Euro:

30 Cars:

GT Masters 2015 cars
Audi R8 LMS Ultra
BMW Z4 GT3
Chevrolet Corvette Z06.R GT3 GTM15
Chevrolet Camaro GT3
Bentley Continental GT3
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Nissan GT-R GT3

DTM 2015 cars
Audi RS 5 DTM 2015
BMW M4 DTM 2015
Mercedes-AMG C63 DTM

WTCC 2015 cars
Citroen C Elysee WTCC 2015
Lada Vesta WTCC 2015
Honda Civic WTCC 2015
Chevrolet RML Cruze TC1 2015

Tatuus F.4

DTM 92
BMW M3 Sport Evolution
Ford Mustang GT DTM
Mercedes 190E Evo II DTM
Opel Omega 3000 Evo500
Audi V8 DTM
Group 5
Zakspeed Capri
Chevrolet Corvette Greenwood 1977
BMW 320 Turbo
Chevrolet Dekon Monza
Fabcar 935
Nissan Skyline 2000RS
Nissan Silvia Turbo

TT Cup

FR Jr

NSU

15 Tracks:

Spa
Laguna Seca
Mid-Ohio
Sonoma
Macau
Zandvoort
Nordschleife
Oschersleben
Sachsenring
Red Bull Ring
Nürburgring
Hockenheim
Norisring
Bathurst
Indianapolis

TJP

Looking at the Steam sale:

rFactor 2 is 40% off,
pCARS is 50% off,
pCARS GOTY is 53% off,
BeamNG.drive is 25% off,
Next Car Game is 50% off
MotoGP series is between 50% to 85% off.

deadfolk

Hm. Project CARS is cheap. GOTY is not that cheap. Worth shelling out the extra for the GOTY, or is it mostly content I won't really use unless I put in heaps of hours?

I'd also like to know this.

Edit:
So I just 'accidentally' ordered the T300 integral edition.

In for a penny, I guess. :)

Branson

Yeah, I heard so. The problem is that it seems something that it's just there, like the rallycross and hillclimb on Dirt Rally, without any real depth, without lot's of tracks, etc. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, regarding GSCE, is it possible to set long single player championships?

They have their own tracks and stuff. The super trucks just use the shorter versions of the existing road courses and adds a few jumps to them. Haven't touched rally cross much but they only have a couple of tracks for that so far. Both well done and fun though.

They have specific championships for each series when you select one but you can't set up a custom one with specific tracks yet unfortunately.

The publisher is to blame and not the dev team :(

There is a 50% off sale and a Summer Special Package. This is what you get in the Summer Special Pack for 49.99 Euro:

30 Cars:

GT Masters 2015 cars
Audi R8 LMS Ultra
BMW Z4 GT3
Chevrolet Corvette Z06.R GT3 GTM15
Chevrolet Camaro GT3
Bentley Continental GT3
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Nissan GT-R GT3

DTM 2015 cars
Audi RS 5 DTM 2015
BMW M4 DTM 2015
Mercedes-AMG C63 DTM

WTCC 2015 cars
Citroen C Elysee WTCC 2015
Lada Vesta WTCC 2015
Honda Civic WTCC 2015
Chevrolet RML Cruze TC1 2015

Tatuus F.4

DTM 92
BMW M3 Sport Evolution
Ford Mustang GT DTM
Mercedes 190E Evo II DTM
Opel Omega 3000 Evo500
Audi V8 DTM
Group 5
Zakspeed Capri
Chevrolet Corvette Greenwood 1977
BMW 320 Turbo
Chevrolet Dekon Monza
Fabcar 935
Nissan Skyline 2000RS
Nissan Silvia Turbo

TT Cup

FR Jr

NSU

15 Tracks:

Spa
Laguna Seca
Mid-Ohio
Sonoma
Macau
Zandvoort
Nordschleife
Oschersleben
Sachsenring
Red Bull Ring
Nürburgring
Hockenheim
Norisring
Bathurst
Indianapolis
This isn't in Steam but their own store right? That's actually a really good deal it seems like. I wonder how much it is in USD.

terrible

Banned
That's the same price as their Black Friday deal for all their content. Still too much money for what it is compared to what other sims are charging. I'm being turned off this whole idea to be honest. That's a shame.

Dave_6

You can run the Super Trucks on any track if you select all cars and tracks in the menu. Hard to beat driving one around VIR!

DD

That's the same price as their Black Friday deal for all their content. Still too much money for what it is compared to what other sims are charging. I'm being turned off this whole idea to be honest. That's a shame.

I was sure I would get the WTCC 2015 pack on Steam, and the Audi TT stuff too, and maybe the DTM 1992 pack, and even some cars and tracks on their website. But you know what? you're right. Even discounted, these things aren't exactly cheap if you compare to what you can get elsewhere, and my biggest problem with this game actually is the fact that it doesn't work without an internet connection, and it wasn't just one or two times I wasn't unable to play because of that. Their stuff (cars, tracks and driving models) are AMAZING, but maybe I should stop supporting these stupid practices.

terrible

Banned
I bought a couple DLC packs for R3E anyway. The sound is indeed as insane as everyone claims. You need a cold shower after a few laps in the Zakspeed Capri.

I have assists set to "get real" but with the cars I've used so far I'm finding the game really forgiving. It feels like I have full assists on. It's still fun though. As far as FFB goes it feels great and the only thing I've done is raise the FFB strength a bit. I don't even think I need to tweak anything.

I like the game. Their DLC model is really not doing them any favours though. R3E would probably be getting as much hype as Assetto Corsa if they sold their content in one package like AC.

So it turns out Assetto Corsa is actually really good.

Oh man.

Yes, it's excellent. With mods it's even better. Cruising around Lake Louise is so fun.

Patrick S.

Banned
Did they improved the AI? It's the only thing that is putting me off that game. =/

It's better than it was in the beginning, but most of my solo play sessions still end with a ragequit because some AI car needlessly fishtails me off the track.

saladine1

Reiza should be congratulated on their sounds for Automobilista. Such a great experience.
Have they always had such great detail in this department?
I haven't played their previous game.

terrible

Banned
I never managed to get my wheel feeling right with Automobilista so I've barely played it. I damn near have go full lock just to take a corner (any vehicle). Anyone have any good settings for a T300?

R3E is really addictive. I love the way they have their leaderboards set up. pCARS and Assetto Corsa could really use something like that. Pick a leaderboard time and race their ghost, seems like something so simple but not many games seem to allow that.

I spend so much time working on my iRacing safety rating, that I seem to be forgetting to overtake the others. At least I'm always in the top split, that's something at least!

LtIzeva.png

That being said, I've had 3x40 min races at Watkins Glen, with a grand total of 2 incident points and graduated to a B license with my SR haul.

Reiza should be congratulated on their sounds for Automobilista. Such a great experience.
I don't recall ever being blown away by the sounds in GSCE, for me the audio king was always RRRE. Sadly though, my recent hearing issues prevent me from comparing things to the new AMS.

Branson

I never managed to get my wheel feeling right with Automobilista so I've barely played it. I damn near have go full lock just to take a corner (any vehicle). Anyone have any good settings for a T300?

R3E is really addictive. I love the way they have their leaderboards set up. pCARS and Assetto Corsa could really use something like that. Pick a leaderboard time and race their ghost, seems like something so simple but not many games seem to allow that.

AMS should automatically lock the steering ratio of your wheel to whatever the car you're driving as.

Ark

It's here!

I finalllllllyyyyyyyyy decided to finish the NeoGAF FR2.0 paint. I started it three months ago, got side-tracked by other stuff, and decided to go back to it this weekend. Scrapped everything I had and spent pretty much most of Sunday making this. Personally I'm really happy with it and can't wait to get using it in the iRacing series.

Speaking of, I was supposed to do a few Phillip Island races today, but finishing this paint took priority over that :p

I spend so much time working on my iRacing safety rating, that I seem to be forgetting to overtake the others. At least I'm always in the top split, that's something at least!

LtIzeva.png

That being said, I've had 3x40 min races at Watkins Glen, with a grand total of 2 incident points and graduated to a B license with my SR haul.

I don't recall ever being blown away by the sounds in GSCE, for me the audio king was always RRRE. Sadly though, my recent hearing issues prevent me from comparing things to the new AMS.

Sounds like you're running well. Nicely done. What 'cha been driving? Solstice? Ruf Cup?

I'm sorry to hear your tinnitus hasn't magically cleared.

Ark said:

Wow, that came out amazing well! Very impressed! I'll totally rock your paint.

Shaneus

Audio's always been pretty solid. But I can't really comment, because I almost always wind up taking the karts for a spin when firing it up.

Wish they had some kind of career/progress mode though, I like a bit of hand holding and guidance in my games!

DD

Audio's always been pretty solid. But I can't really comment, because I almost always wind up taking the karts for a spin when firing it up.

Wish they had some kind of career/progress mode though, I like a bit of hand holding and guidance in my games!

Hey, Shans, I know it's not a sim, but I also know that you enjoy non-sim racers like PGR4, so... have you ever played Grid Autosport?

Shaneus

Hey, Shans, I know it's not a sim, but I also know that you enjoy non-sim racers like PGR4, so... have you ever played Grid Autosport?
Yes, and I do really like it! Took a little while for it to gel, but it's grown on me. I don't think I've played it with a wheel yet (or for a while) but yeah, I liked it.

Hoping Evo's Codemasters game is going to be tied to it somehow, hopefully at least in style even if it is going to be a new franchise.

Sounds like you're running well. Nicely done. What 'cha been driving? Solstice? Ruf Cup?
MX5, Skip Barber and the Z4M. I thought my home would be in the Skippy, but quality of driving at Laguna Seca last week made me diversify and seek pastures new.

I did give your recommend Ford Spec Racer a couple of laps on my first week and felt that it was a little too twitchy for my liking. However, seeing you and Betta battle it out is certainly making me want to revisit the car. I'll most likely be racing it at Brands and Watkins Glen in August.

DD

Yes, and I do really like it! Took a little while for it to gel, but it's grown on me. I don't think I've played it with a wheel yet (or for a while) but yeah, I liked it.

Hoping Evo's Codemasters game is going to be tied to it somehow, hopefully at least in style even if it is going to be a new franchise.

Ah, Ok. I really love that game and I wold recommend it to you. :3

I'm getting some mods here to keep the game fresh. 141 hours and counting!

Yup, the AI and Kunos' attitude on the forums is what pushed me away.

Really? Haha, what are they doing? Going full SMS?

TJP

Grid is an overlooked sim-lite gem. Shame that it tanked sales wise as it's the best game CM made until Dirt Rally was released.

FWIW, I really liked Grid 2 despite being heavily cut down from what Grid was. Grid 2 gave me serious PGR vibes given much of what I remember from that game was fast city tracks in stupidly fast cars.

Really? Haha, what are they doing? Going full SMS?
Nah, it's not that bad. PRC have made a meal of both Kunos and SMS situations over their short existence.

Stefano seems to have form as a guy who doesn't handle criticism any level well and takes far too much of the arguments against his product to heart. He went AWOL at various times when making netKar Pro (I bought that sublime sim after Ferrari Virtual Academy came out and missed the drama).

Shutting down sections of their support forum raised a few eyebrows; RD is a much better home for those mods IMO.

DD

Grid is an overlooked sim-lite gem. Shame that it tanked sales wise as it's the best game CM made until Dirt Rally was released.

I couldn't agree more.

Nah, it's not that bad. PRC have made a meal of both Kunos and SMS situations over their short existence.

Stefano seems to have form as a guy who doesn't handle criticism any level well and takes far too much of the arguments against his product to heart. He went AWOL at various times when making netKar Pro (I bought that sublime sim after Ferrari Virtual Academy came out and missed the drama).

Shutting down sections of their support forum raised a few eyebrows; RD is a much better home for those mods IMO.
Bwahaha, it's probably the Italian blood. Being half Italian, I know what this mean.

Makikou

GT1 in iRacing is totally my jam. Love how the Corvette drives. I just can't drive GT3 like I want to, suppose there's either not enough power or/and downforce for me.

sx18

Shaneus

Just took the plunge on the season pass for it, figuring I'll give it a go while the fiancee watches GoT. No such luck, it's 1.6GB! But at least I'll know I have all the content for it (save for that Black Edition pack, which seems useless anyway. Sorted some FFB mods and stuff so I think I'm good to go on that front, too :)

TJP

Just took the plunge on the season pass for it, figuring I'll give it a go while the fiancee watches GoT. No such luck, it's 1.6GB! But at least I'll know I have all the content for it (save for that Black Edition pack, which seems useless anyway. Sorted some FFB mods and stuff so I think I'm good to go on that front, too :)
Its a pretty decent season pass and 1.6 GB is nothing these days.

I bought a new Xbox One recently because it was cheap and there is nothing like an update of 19.8 GB before you can even play a game (Halo for those who care). Even FH2 required 1.8GB update before I could play it...then there is the cost of extra controllers, Xbox Live Gold etc. Here I was thinking PC sim racing was expensive 😎

DD

They have their own tracks and stuff. The super trucks just use the shorter versions of the existing road courses and adds a few jumps to them. Haven't touched rally cross much but they only have a couple of tracks for that so far. Both well done and fun though.

They have specific championships for each series when you select one but you can't set up a custom one with specific tracks yet unfortunately.

Holy f*ck, somehow I wasn't seeing this post. Really sorry, Branson. I'm an idiot. =x

Thanks for answering!

Hmm, I bought some of the DLCs, and they're nice. The problem is that they're are not integrated to the career mode. Instead, they have their own separated championships in the main menu.

Ark

Wow, that came out amazing well! Very impressed! I'll totally rock your paint.

Thanks! :)

It seems like we've got a fair few GAF folks who do iRacing now, is it time we did a new hot lap challenge? Or organise a GAF race? :D
Or an Assetto Corsa challenge, since it's a bit easier to get content for.

Unrelated, but I want to get back into Endurance racing again. I've noticed the new IMSA series seems to have much higher participation than before. I'll be sticking with the FR2.0 this season to shake off all this rust (and get my irating back up!), but I may have to have a gander at GT3 enduro again.

Lastly; does anyone here race with an Oculus Rift? Everything I'm hearing from iRacing folks that have one say it's mind blowing my good - albeit the far distance can still be a bit blurry. Just trying to get as many impressions as possible.

Unrelated, but I want to get back into Endurance racing again. I've noticed the new IMSA series seems to have much higher participation than before. I'll be sticking with the FR2.0 this season to shake off all this rust (and get my irating back up!), but I may have to have a gander at GT3 enduro again.

Lastly; does anyone here race with an Oculus Rift? Everything I'm hearing from iRacing folks that have one say it's mind blowing my good - albeit the far distance can still be a bit blurry. Just trying to get as many impressions as possible.
I just began IMSA this week, everyone's been very gentlemanly so far. The race a couple of hours ago was abandoned, as I only saw 5 people join, but this one (starting very soon) has 22 drivers.

I'm not a VR owner yet, however I noticed iRacing mention that they're currently working on Vive support, which is awesome news.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I'm currently having boat loads of fun with VRC Pro. Gawd how did I miss this all this time.I'm a huge fan of Re-volt (simulation difficulty) and have beeen waiting for sth. similar all this time. It even has a chase view!

Looking through the VR sub-forum on iRacing, the positive impression isn't unanimous. But no matter how many impressions you read, you still need to try it yourself, because it affects people in different ways, more so than any other type of hardware.

For instance, I don't find the distance fidelity to be a problem at all, but I have issues with comfort, FOV and latency. After almost 3 weeks of testing and practice, I am still slower in the Rift than when using monitors. This is in direct contrast to many other impressions, who say they are more comfortable and faster in VR than using monitors.

You also need to spend a good amount of time with a headset, to find out how it works with your equipment. For instance if you regularly reach for a keyboard and mouse, you need to get a feel for how much harder that is when wearing a headset. If you're used to glancing down at your wheel to hit a specific button, can you still do that by feel alone, or do you need to reconsider your button layout? Some of these practical considerations don't become apparent until you're testing it with your own kit.

Aside from all that, using a VR headset is undoubtedly the best way to experience a sim. The sensation of being in a cockpit is something that can't be achieved through a traditional display, and that feeling alone can be powerful enough to override the negatives. I really enjoy driving in VR, but it's AC and Project CARS where I get the most out of it, because I don't race competitively in those sims, and their visuals provoke a more emotional response compared to iRacing's serious presentation.

I've yet to return to triples on iRacing for three weeks, but I'm continuing out of interest rather than desire. I would much prefer to be back on my monitors in terms of comfort and competitiveness. However, I also feel that persevering with VR is worthwhile, and learning how to deal with the differences between display technologies should help my driving in general.

Top Bottom