• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Mascot

Ah you've upgraded the old Playseat/CRSE I see.

Very nice.

Yeah, I updated the firmware on the old MS FFB wheel and found it worked with PS3, PS4, Xbox, Xbox 360, XBone and PC (I've no idea why this update wasn't publicised, TBH), so sold the CSRE/CSP/Playseat rig and knocked this one up from old tat. Having just two pedals was a downer but pressing the accelerator and brake together simulates the clutch.

Having just two pedals was a downer but pressing the accelerator and brake together simulates the clutch.
TnQRX6v.gif

terrible

Banned
Yeah, I updated the firmware on the old MS FFB wheel and found it worked with PS3, PS4, Xbox, Xbox 360, XBone and PC (I've no idea why this update wasn't publicised, TBH), so sold the CSRE/CSP/Playseat rig and knocked this one up from old tat. Having just two pedals was a downer but pressing the accelerator and brake together simulates the clutch.

This is the first time I've heard of this. That's pretty great. I bet you can find that wheel pretty cheap used on ebay or something too.

Now now, no need to be humble.

Did you ever see that guy who Frankensteined together two of those pedal sets and wired a pedal to a wheel button as a digital clutch?

It was glorious.

hqdefault.jpg

He must have been like Fanatec want how much???

Fuck it! I'm making my own.

deadfolk

Gang,

I'm toying with the idea of getting my feet wet with a wheel and pedal set. I haven't historically been a huge racing game player, but I dabble occasionally.

I'm looking at either a G(29/920), T150 or a T300.

Obviously, the T300 is almost double the price of the others.

Any recommendations? I know there are a million opinions on the net, but I'm interested in what some fellow Gaffers have to say.

Will I be content with the Gxx or T150 or will I be chomping at the bit for an upgrade right away? Is the extra outlay worth it for a casual player? It would probably initially be used for ETS2/ATS, but I expect I would also pick up AC/PC.
If I go with one of those two, which would you recommend?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As someone who was in your EXACT situation a week or two ago, the T300 has proven to be worth the high price of entry. It feels SUPER good and has made driving an absolute blast.

Kodiak333

Neo Member

Where is this firmware located? I'm going to be using mine instead of buying a new wheel...

deadfolk

Well the T300 is good.

G29 is proven but dated tech and the T150 is half way between them both.

As someone who was in your EXACT situation a week or two ago, the T300 has proven to be worth the high price of entry. It feels SUPER good and has made driving an absolute blast.

Thanks!

I just found out about the TX, which seems to be the PC/XBone equivalent of the T300 (as opposed to PC/PS4). Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems slightly more expensive in the places available to me (Ireland), but it would be nice to be able to use it for Forza (6 & Horizon 2).

Having said that, FH3 just got announced for XBone/PC, so if the TX is not as good as the T300, maybe that would still be the way to go.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks!

I just found out about the TX, which seems to be the PC/XBone equivalent of the T300 (as opposed to PC/PS4). Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems slightly more expensive in the places available to me (Ireland), but it would be nice to be able to use it for Forza (6 & Horizon 2).

Having said that, FH3 just got announced for XBone/PC, so if the TX is not as good as the T300, maybe that would still be the way to go.

Decisions, decisions...

TX is fine too. I think the degrees of rotation is 900 for the TX and 1080 for the T300 (ironic, I know) and the T300 comes with a better rim as standard.

Well the T300 is good.

G29 is proven but dated tech and the T150 is half way between them both.
I'll just keep beating my drum and say the T150 is not halfway between a G29 and a T300. The G29 is better than the T150 in almost every area, imo.

Thanks!

Decisions, decisions...
The TX base is indeed the Xbox-compatible version of the T300 base - the mechanism and motor is the same design, and it is compatible with all the same T-series add-ons, but as drugstore_cowboy says, the T300 is 1080 degrees of rotation rather than the TX's 900. The TX launched earlier than the T300 in the form of the 'TX Italia' - I'd be surprised if that was more expensive than the T300 packages.

terrible

Banned
I have a TX and a T300 and they feel pretty much identical to me with the main difference being the T300's default rim is significantly better than the POS plastic thing that comes with the TX. If you can get the T300 for the same price as a TX you're basically getting a free upgrade to a GTE rim if you buy that over the TX.

Neil_J_UK

So I'm in the market for a wheel (yes, another one of those posts - I couldn't find the thread mentioned a few pages back about them.)

I'm trying to decide between the T150 or G29 - I'm leaning towards the G29 but it's pretty much at the maximum end of my price range (£180). I've read everyone say the T300 is the wheel to get, but I don't really want to be spending £250, I'd say £200 is the maximum I'd pay. Has the T300 ever been around that price? The pedals on the T150 look terrible.

The G29 is £180, the T150 £115.

One thing on my mind, which I know no-one knows the answer to yet, but...

What are the chances the G29 will work with Forza Horizon 3/FM 7?

So I'm in the market for a wheel (yes, another one of those posts - I couldn't find the thread mentioned a few pages back about them.)

I'm trying to decide between the T150 or G29 - I'm leaning towards the G29 but it's pretty much at the maximum end of my price range (£180). I've read everyone say the T300 is the wheel to get, but I don't really want to be spending £250, I'd say £200 is the maximum I'd pay. Has the T300 ever been around that price? The pedals on the T150 look terrible.

The G29 is £180, the T150 £115.

One thing on my mind, which I know no-one knows the answer to yet, but...

What are the chances the G29 will work with Forza Horizon 3/FM 7?

You can increase your chances of playing FH3 by going for a G920 if they're anywhere near the same price. I've seen a few T300 in CeX recently, they go for £200 if you want to risk going second hand.

Neil_J_UK

You can increase your chances of playing FH3 by going for a G920 if they're anywhere near the same price. I've seen a few T300 in CeX recently, they go for £200 if you want to risk going second hand.

Ideally I'd want the G29 as I do have a PS4 too, and I know I'll want to use a wheel with Gran Turismo.

I've read about a few reliability problems with the T300, so I'd rather not go used if possible so I have a warranty for if anything does go wrong. I'll check it out though and see what the prices are like, thanks.

Thrustmaster just wanted a copy of the invoice yeah. Contact the seller to ask if there's been any problems with support if you're nervous.

Wouldn't like to say one way or another and you either miss a bargain or end up getting rogered if the wheel dies down the line.

Neil_J_UK

After a bit more digging I've actually found them on quite a few websites now for about £220. Seems like a good deal? If the wheel is as good as everyone makes out, it'll be worth the extra bit of cash over the G29.

Think I'll take the plunge near the end of the month. Thanks for your help.

deadfolk

After a bit more digging I've actually found them on quite a few websites now for about £220. Seems like a good deal? If the wheel is as good as everyone makes out, it'll be worth the extra bit of cash over the G29.

Think I'll take the plunge near the end of the month. Thanks for your help.

Would you mind sharing some of the other sites you found? I'm thinking about picking one up at the end of the month myself, and more options would be useful as I'm in Ireland, so shipping can be a big deal for me.

Watevaman

So I recently started replaying my copy of F1 Championship Edition for PS3 and I had a question for you all about a feature that I really like in it. It's got a mode called F1TV where you can set up an AI race and watch it complete with accurate commentary and everything. Now, I seriously doubt there's anything with commentary because that would be tough, but do any PC sims have a feature similar to this? Where I can set up a race between AI only and spectate it?

DD

No shit? That'd be a first for the F1 games.

Actually I may be talking shit, but they said here that there's a "time of day editor" the let's you customizes the starting time of the race. So I'm not sure if it's dynamic or not, but they've showed screens from Singapore in daylight, and videos of Interlagos, Cota and Baku during the sunset.

Some official videos, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksnXmJGqe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAMmQr7FjSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZuStK4qUq8

Neil_J_UK

Would you mind sharing some of the other sites you found? I'm thinking about picking one up at the end of the month myself, and more options would be useful as I'm in Ireland, so shipping can be a big deal for me.

Sure -

http://www.box.co.uk/Thrustmaster_T...5lCeQlPTY2WCEsTu4KxnwIic3BweaQw2K4aAp0f8P8HAQ

http://www.comwales.co.uk/store/Thr...q7uMLgZ8orTA-UGqrf2TVLM-EDMF9VJE3oaAgUD8P8HAQ

http://www.morecomputers.com/produc...pmnhyFPPlAijrJEiHLpafhMtY-NrUHUqwYaAhVA8P8HAQ

Shaneus

Actually I may be talking shit, but they said here that there's a "time of day editor" the let's you customizes the starting time of the race. So I'm not sure if it's dynamic or not, but they've showed screens from Singapore in daylight, and videos of Interlagos, Cota and Baku during the sunset.

Some official videos, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksnXmJGqe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAMmQr7FjSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZuStK4qUq8
Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was calling you out... and yeah, I didn't mean dynamic as all in the one race either, just that it could even be selected. If they could pull that off, I'd be most impressed.

And with a good amount of the staff who worked on Driveclub at their beck and call, I guess it could be not too difficult for them to do without having to prebake textures etc.

DD

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was calling you out... and yeah, I didn't mean dynamic as all in the one race either, just that it could even be selected. If they could pull that off, I'd be most impressed.

And with a good amount of the staff who worked on Driveclub at their beck and call, I guess it could be not too difficult for them to do without having to prebake textures etc.

Don't worry, I didn't get it that way (never crossed my mind). You're one of the coolest guys here on Gaf, know that. ;)

About the game, is it weird that this is the one that I have most hype instead of Forza Horizon 3 and GT Sports?

Top Bottom