• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Assetto Corsa is my sim of choice but I'm increasingly annoyed by the damn thing. Allow me to rant for a moment.

1. It forgets my T300/TH8A config on a fairly regular basis, requiring me to reassign all the buttons/shifters etc.
  2. The UI crops itself to a small portion of the screen after every race. A problem caused by using Nvidia DSR that I had fixed but has now returned after a clean install of Windows.
  3. The UI looks awful and we're not getting the console one that actually actually works from a wheel's dpad and doesn't require a mouse + keyboard
  4. A bunch of buttons can't be mapped to the wheel
  5. FFB levels are all over the shop. You can spend ages correcting them with something like FFB clip but the devs will tweak the cars and throw it all out again
  6. It's ugly (why do the console promo videos look better than my maxed out, downsampled PC version??)
  7. Worst of all, Kunos added the 370Z instead of the 350Z.

terrible

Banned
For point #1 I'm going to guess you sometimes have an Xbox One controller connected to your computer? If you boot AC up with a controller and a wheel your wheel config won't work. Don't ask me why. It took me ages to figure out why sometimes my wheel config would work and other times it wouldn't. If you boot the game up without a controller connected it works fine every time.

Another fun little quirk is that every time the game updates it resets my resolution to something incorrect. That makes it so races won't boot up. That took me ages to figure out too but I'm so used to it now that if a race won't boot up I automatically go into video settings and change my resolution back.

terrible

Banned
If you're willing to spend hours tweaking the controls you can get pCARS to a point where it's really fun with a controller. If you can play the game with a keyboard and mouse you're a miracle worker though. I can't imagine that being ideal.

[*]It's ugly (why do the console promo videos look better than my maxed out, downsampled PC version??)
Probably because they picked all the best angles and use heavy DOF. I've not seen any AC console footage that looks better than PC...

i was thinking of getting project cars. do i really need a wheel/pedals for it? or is it enjoyable with kb/m?
I've not tried it with k&m, but it works pretty well on a gamepad.

TJP

Oh god :( Part of the reason I bought it was that I thought it'd be relatively plug-and-play. And after reading all that stuff on FFB and wheel setup, I feel my head is about to explode!
I found a post I made elsewhere...The following may be helpful.

TJP said:
After spending an age reading the pCARS PC support forum, completing the steps in the Baseline Wheel FFB Values thread, then trying the FFB tweaker files with their suggested wheel settings, I gave up trying to find a decent FFB setting via these methods.

I used the default (not classic) FFB setting, turned down the steering gain from 3.0 to 1.3 & adjusted the deadzone removal range to better suit the G27 (0.13) and scoop knee (0.6).

After these changes, pCARS FFB feels pretty good; while not as communicative as rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, Stock Car Extreme or Race '07, I think it's good FFB overall.

As for bugs, I'm yet to encounter any game breaking ones (which doesn't mean they don't exist); I struggle with what I find to be odd at the limit tyre feeling/dynamics and the road cars which for the most part I find aren't engaging to drive.

Probably because they picked all the best angles and use heavy DOF. I've not seen any AC console footage that looks better than PC...
This.

The Yebis post-processing is likely cranked to its respective maximums for use in photo mode. Same can be said for any of the modded PP filters on Race Department. The one can find even more stunning 'in-game' screens.

As for the console versions, I'm yet to see PS4 or Xbox footage of a 24 car grid racing on any of AC's circuits :(

Shaneus

Thanks for the tips, gents! Wound up last night running through all the tests from one of those threads that involves the software doing some test with the wheel, then putting the numbers and CSVs into a spreadsheet, then tinkering from there. And putting the FFB templates from one of the guys into the Documents folder.

Definitely made a big difference, even though the wheel feels a little "looser" and softer than I was expecting. Karts do feel better though, so that's a plus... and had a ball taking the SP/300.R around Spa. Still, nowhere near as much detail as I was hoping there would be, and barely in the same ballpark as AMS/GSCE. Considering how much of a pain it was to setup and how much maths there is in getting it to a decent level, it's a little disheartening.

Need to tweak graphics levels as well. Got it running smoothly, but then as soon as other cars were on the track, the framerate took a dive. Anyone have any tips on what graphics options have the biggest performance impact?

TJP

Need to tweak graphics levels as well. Got it running smoothly, but then as soon as other cars were on the track, the framerate took a dive. Anyone have any tips on what graphics options have the biggest performance impact?
Candyland video does a great job of showing what each setting does - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUmhUhSgYk

Basically most of the reflection based stuff such as environment mapping can be turned down or off without sacrificing too much visually; same for detailed grass, particles etc. And forget about downsampling unless you have a beefy SLI setup; ATI cards famously ran (or run) like pCARS like arse because AMD didn't work with SMS with optimisations apparently.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I must say, feels good to be back actually *PLAYING* racing games again. Getting back into my rig after not even sitting in it for 3 years was a surreal experience. Life threw a lot of curve balls at me and but my passion for driving games never wavered. Anyway I'm the proud owner of a Bodnar wheel and HPP PRX SE pedals now, and have finally got my rig set up the way I like it.

Some pics:

_M1o3-i5npXi717bBq3TZKjVEIgnkMxNXoa-yzafc96iGVZweGFY1LASANS2Wv97R_n1SYm4PnecqRUMn1wyob4ILUsPTSsMvA9jAbfje5jLLqbIdXs2PilvQ2LgSUGyzKB4IvyqtCtP--25VA8qg_VY3R-04o-hsDZT1Rchb07mh2HxOw0P44s0Fz0zAbYpbybWcL7YQykHDxZ29zzJBPZv2u0X7fzDT11pwQ_SYnuTgx3AL--tZLBqdmwq09zhe9UcECbHNPMaoWli4GRavZRAnVAHbldItVFixzYSKep_DkpooxjtQ7z-wD8JMTWKS9IHBrnw9srd7CYLLIamFmF49cAgNIBXE52sUDvzmSEWURSKp9xllPaNrbpWeCEEw7xsKf5LJuxrI6ov9MgvLjzuR9GJEkSf6jCEzIgXhHKoFuw7G4jyuDaNM4XejBA_yPdQQCxSk7OqGXOFoPblqdJm9v8lhX62W2ZM_Z-9eJ4WPqcqyWB7fH1LN3_kzQxrLW4regxHvyTRgEyLSfp-2DVSreaDH53tgop6BjgBLxpsbwxPkz57i-adTbrIr83tijthGYkTWm9x_a2M3UUGJtC5ddvR3Us=w1239-h929-no

0pO23nvpuyzsgjlHQQx3bDzIVT7-ur3FIztnz-OOpQwmficnva7yPC9O1l1SkmmGWKMho7hWr00WY-_dq-QJQE5omfPm8QgQJlAfqD_Ne3smkOTInFTgOuZ4W5-t2FeuKXi9eU09QnDf09JsJxuxvioxtlAO_VGz9DJSEvFyczEHLoj0ZI3jxblDRzDiR4wFGiUpgp902RD0cVgBdtBeV9nr1rtoVT-dR-ZnWPOEOp9hyKbXYR7U7HHkeTyybZkuLEiKrQ6gvR-NhMT_auX-fxTYeFXWS7U_PQc8yqWiqIIrggXfsZWYMfvTNmbuq6r_YktRVw8LNtU8UiMv7h4FLmIn3Ljjq5GF8NDtGYEhaS6RspCZ6_rqvWRtTedeouE-u1Bjy-fqPCHWilYtrCmzMzYtTvjeEiLlZh_zejPKlumwWtcfSo87Cta8edTERpIwgAXQNonvNZQU0PJxnDj0lxwviZjjTb7MOBIdxFom1qVNv_Rn-3vIOUekwJXl0faxiRCxi1q7vHN_zATAh9b-PIOHe4SiH3Jcl-Nm5tpu8aTyu2hjBidMEcvHnPGx6xhfqTeX1m2fI3uadWMD1y1nmQEuob1sCDs=w1239-h929-no

jF1SgCZiL94oS6Og49NEK1M3IdS8f0gHu9gSR2Vs5RRLT_Sh32QxFI0IoUGYU3MmXsdktpw5-a_vVMpKlp9xJe-o6fkv8E7lGmt_c2pg5itVXRQOixg8FXEJJazRGdyl18bzrT2-k_o_qIm0ucThRBFUbX0qWIPIX-peuwvvERDAeoc4pryaer91a8GzSiQeqkAFe54lWS0QOh6D0B1QEGE9Md_Wi3EhgOpIX_DMwMN7QOXNlE2Sx4KdQn9FTj7y5f5H8B2QFziLQl1J1Q6dFd053tEQGsJzKQZjCwsGTivoYmi0260GEz46TrkNL3v629VYm2dz3Ezn9HOdUVaZKsQIX4ZBNRvDH46rf47mAJL3MVzWyaecmdeyFmraKoX_rosMfwxByGDukOneVqdJNbbK9JYjGRV0OprhsIynt0-ORwmCGljXPANOmmnVHqhSG--i0g-qva5T-z332itLSNZgyeXAUzMzhFQ9s55YuAZGUtb9cRHSWxfyB_JSU7qNbrNZqdmdS-4_c43sDXqdSdxTa6yVvxzGsveAM0xi7b5NabpDiKQW3c4KY_dOF-md8uBbqizU5E0lnwNbqTOK4jCw2YDHt_M=w1239-h929-no

Steering rim collection(and no, I'm not done collecting yet :p )

986kh9_bTNnJY1vjkqK8IKdUEIw1flP6bURNUMULp9qQQSXigJU2qURKf0zLEQ-wxH0SpuNjJK28j94jviuD_YMd9PcVkmPw2LJBV7WXanwqX7K7CVi-NP2JdzgFJGBlJjSGrRO3WZ5Ct2ZRlqvpsJsEH3KnATAZqledPCdtg8IUKYZsEoK-OBAQ-mziZpqThQjx-RU0hQ02DCfJKqNOOcI6JoZgw2YD4TH7xmUD5x91wNukS4_P7RrWc-ts1iiUJolUovxmMixDA3LL90QRBK6B30jCd95VORV1JJjT_o0VnIWMvYWB7V5oQ6dRd6O7X932l-hYoSn6z0VHgBVygqLEwgZNf7d-Sbm9AYIeawpGY1BfWgsRqNY8Esxx5DocW5se794AVuCwNMjWVR_mMPmAUh27KQiaoj4C19HX4Ocd854tsRevmmQZggpRWM4ChCIlUv4Jw7QVF8ACmrvhC3hMA-Y2_FX6ugoTsNKjwkqdFeizEEyevEYFhUhPkHioCbx80R2l7EidIljLRT4PGCPXKwBNfcjIAUMWx-YVVKYzjW03y5mRuV4IipdvoX9tF0hqnmo2geR_Ou9NFrrNLuyGQwjDdLQ=w1239-h929-no

The wheel second row and far right is an original Sega Outrun wheel. I'm desperately looking for a Sega Outrun 2 wheel but man are they hard to find!

As far as the Bodnar wheel goes, what can I say? I've already suffered my first wrist sprain from playing F-ZeroGX, and that's with the wheel at ONLY 20% strength!!!! So yeah, to say it's a dangerous monster that doesn't take kindly to spaghetti arms is an understatement. It will kick your ass if you disrespect it by treating it like a toy wheel. Don't buy one of these if you want to keep your wrists and arm sockets in tact. When they say 26NM of torque, THEY MEAN IT!

Mascot

I must say, feels good to be back actually *PLAYING* racing games again. Getting back into my rig after not even sitting in it for 3 years was a surreal experience.

Why so long away from it? Injuries?

As far as the Bodnar wheel goes, what can I say? I've already suffered my first wrist sprain from playing F-ZeroGX, and that's with the wheel at ONLY 20% strength!!!! So yeah, to say it's a dangerous monster that doesn't take kindly to spaghetti arms is an understatement. It will kick your ass if you disrespect it by treating it like a toy wheel. Don't buy one of these if you want to keep your wrists and arm sockets in tact. When they say 26NM of torque, THEY MEAN IT!

Why does LB make the wheel that powerful if 20% strength is already madness?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Candyland video does a great job of showing what each setting does - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUmhUhSgYk

Basically most of the reflection based stuff such as environment mapping can be turned down or off without sacrificing too much visually; same for detailed grass, particles etc. And forget about downsampling unless you have a beefy SLI setup; ATI cards famously ran (or run) like pCARS like arse because AMD didn't work with SMS with optimisations apparently.

This is a great video. I could probably be perfectly happy with most settings on low except for track detail and textures - even car detail seems mostly focused around small details like headlights that you won't see when racing.

Why does LB make the wheel that powerful if 20% strength is already madness?
In order to deliver the same torque that can occur in real-world scenarios. (Even 26Nm can be maxed out in some extreme cases, but it is more than enough overhead for the vast majority of applications.)

Risgroo

Some more F1 2016 details + new trailer
  • Formation lap
  • Manual starts
  • Manual pit entry (in 2015 you could just go full speed into the pit lane and the car would just slow down automatically)
  • Wheel tethers - better damage?
  • 22-player online
  • Toto Wolff

What I always wanted to know about direct-drive wheels: How hard is it to turn the wheel connected, switched on and in-game but without any forces applied/requested from the game and any game- or driver-side damping-effects turned off(or to an absolute minimum)?

Can you turn the wheel (let's say 12-13 inch rim) with your little finger pretty much effortlessly?

[If someone else here knows, you're welcome too. I'm asking because the force-less steer-resistance of my T500 is kinda high and the one reason I kinda dislike it compared to my TX]

Real world scenarios like?
Vintage racers with phat tyres and no power steering in some situations, high downforce race cars in some situations, sharp kerb impacts or wheel-to-wheel race contact when already heavily-loaded, etc.

Can you turn the wheel (let's say 12-13 inch rim) with your little finger pretty much effortlessly?
Yes. Powered down, DD motors behave differently depending on the model, but if they're active and being told to apply minimum torque, they are practically free-spinning.

Agreed on the T500, it has significant mechanical resistance, which can obscure/dilute some of the more subtle effects. It is also the main reason why I feel like the T150 is a lesser wheel compared to the G27/G29.

Yes. Powered down, DD motors behave differently depending on the model, but if they're active and being told to apply minimum torque, they are practically free-spinning.

Agreed on the T500, it has significant mechanical resistance, which can obscure/dilute some of the more subtle effects. It is also the main reason why I feel like the T150 is a lesser wheel compared to the G27/G29.
Thanks, always wanted to know that. The two reviews I found that mentioned something similar read more than advertisement than independent reviews and I didn't trust them. Now I'm curious if Yamauchi's interpretation of "direct-drive" will reveal to have been lost in translation again.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
What I always wanted to know about direct-drive wheels: How hard is it to turn the wheel connected, switched on and in-game but without any forces applied/requested from the game and any game- or driver-side damping-effects turned off(or to an absolute minimum)?

[If someone else here knows, you're welcome too. I'm asking because the force-less steer-resistance of my T500 is kinda high and the one reason I kinda dislike it compared to my TX]

Can't speak for other DD wheels but for the Bodnar, when it's powered up and no game is running, it's extremely light. Can be turned with your pinky with minimal effort. There is an amplitude of range between super light and extremely stiff. I have an app that can apply a center spring to any wheel while you're on the desktop, and when it's set to maximum you literally cannot move the wheel even a centimeter left or right. It's bonkers.

Wait a minute. You can play FZero with a wheel?!?

Yes and it's *orgasmic*. However, you need a very old version of Dolphin. One of the devs broke Skid's output slider only a couple months after he fixed it in 2013 and never repaired the forces. Now, if you try to play F-Zero GX the force feedback effects will be reversed. I opened up a bug ticket about it recently so it's at least in their bug queue.

By the way, I love being able to swap out rims within seconds. Butchfink Holger is a genius because his quick releases are SUPER easy to attach and SUPER sturdy and reliable. No play whatsoever! It has only made my addiction to buying steering rims worse LOL.

Makikou

I actually had a great chance to properly compare the T300RS i have vs. my teammate's T500RS. Corvette C6.R @ Mosport in iRacing.

For some reason the constant mechanical resistance in the T500RS gives you sort of more "feel" for the limit when brakes will lock up in iRacing. Atleast for me. I could attack T2 and Moss Corner on completely different brake use and still maintain feel for the front end, meanwhile with the T300RS there would be moments where I would simply feel nothing.

Linear FFB was used with both wheels.

I actually had a great chance to properly compare the T300RS i have vs. my teammate's T500RS. Corvette C6.R @ Mosport in iRacing.

For some reason the constant mechanical resistance in the T500RS gives you sort of more "feel" for the limit when brakes will lock up in iRacing. Atleast for me. I could attack T2 and Moss Corner on completely different brake use and still maintain feel for the front end, meanwhile with the T300RS there would be moments where I would simply feel nothing.

Linear FFB was used with both wheels.
I also prefer the T500 over the T300/TX, despite the fact that there is more transparency in the brushless mechanism. The T500 is more chunky and substantial, providing an artificial 'feel' that can give more confidence in some situations like you describe. Plus it is simply more powerful, which makes up for its shortcomings more often than not.

I'm somewhat confused over the whole 'UWP doesn't support DirectInput' debacle. Is this actually confirmed? Can it be worked around by developers without support existing in the api?

There was a comment from Aaron G of MS fame on the Killer Instinct boards saying how DirectInput support will be coming in the upcoming Windows 10 August update. Who knows how non Xbox wheels pan out when it comes to UWP games. It seems crazy to not support something like the T300 in a PC driving game.

terrible

Banned
The fun part is when they finally do get wheel support in Forza on PC everyone is still going to tear them apart for how awful the FFB is lol. It's a no win situation unless they've completely overhauled the FFB. I've still yet to play a racing game with worse FFB.

Makikou

I also prefer the T500 over the T300/TX, despite the fact that there is more transparency in the brushless mechanism. The T500 is more chunky and substantial, providing an artificial 'feel' that can give more confidence in some situations like you describe. Plus it is simply more powerful, which makes up for its shortcomings more often than not.

I forgot to add that with the T500RS I did miss some feel of "accuracy" in the last 3 sweeping fast corners compared to the T300RS.

If only I could have the best of both world's with the price of T300RS :D

The fun part is when they finally do get wheel support in Forza on PC everyone is still going to tear them apart for how awful the FFB is lol. It's a no win situation unless they've completely overhauled the FFB. I've still yet to play a racing game with worse FFB.

100% agree with you. People who never played Forza with a wheel but maybe at some point with a pad will be super disappointed, first, then they'll be mad and ask questions if it's the same on Xbox One or just their wheel in Windows. If you only play Forza with a pad you would never know about a ton of its shortcomings in the suspension and tire department. I mean it's fantastic looking game with a ton of awesome and beautifully modeled cars - on the outside.

What will be VERY interesting though, when Forza finally gets any wheel support on PC, is whether it somehow will be possible to run wheels that don't use FFB output from the game and instead get the FFB from a Sim Commander or something similar that derives the FFB from other in-game data (you see, I don't know how that works so I assume it might be possible).
My guess is that Forza's tire model since FM6 is kinda good actually just the suspension model is still in GT3 land or not far off. Older cars however with soft springs, ARBs and kinda loose dampers would probably feel really nice and somewhat accurate in Forza had the game just better FFB-design, the car/tire physics would be up for it.
(let's not talk about input-lag in Forza though, I'm still not convinced that it's actual "lag" and not some weird input-smoothing/damping/non-linearity shenanigans badly ported from how gamepad inputs normally are used for steering... ehh, probably it's just me being stubborn about my opinion... let's not talk about it... let's not.

TJP

I'm happy to see Forza Motorsport on PC as it should lift the overall standard of the genre in regards to presentation and polish. Don't much care for the career grind or DLC structure but the latter is a major part of modern gaming.

Whilst not a sim, I'm having a good time with Forza Horizon 2 which largely lifts the good from TDU, NFS & Burnout Paradise; can't wait to see what #3 is like on PC.

vanty

Assetto Corsa - Introducing the Ferrari F138
KUNOS Simulazioni and 505 Games are proud to unveil the fifth content of the "RED PACK", the DLC package for ASSETTO CORSA that includes seven legendary Italian sports cars and Austria’s RedBull Ring circuit.
Today we are glad to introduce the awesome Ferrari F138 car, driven by Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa in the 2013 season.
The Ferrari F138 is the second Ferrari modern GP car to debut for ASSETTO CORSA - launched on 30 January 2015, and it is the last V8 car made by Ferrari before the reintroduction of turbo engines in 2014.
This video introduces the British Grand Prix showing the Ferrari F138 performing one lap at the Silverstone GP track. The British circuit is included already in Assetto Corsa and it has been reproduced using the laserscan technology.
The Red Pack DLC will be available to purchase July 14th on Steam and will be coming to home consoles later in the year. Assetto Corsa is out now on Steam PC and will be released on home console on August 26th in Europe and August 30th in North America.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just played Assetto Corsa for a while, and man, really really fuck the AI drivers in this game.

I'm doing a super good lap, driving on a long and wide straight, and this fucking AI car rams square into my back, instead of just, you know, driving around me, pushing me off the track and screwing up this lap that had me so thrilled because I was doing so well.

Fed up, I switch cars and tracks, and again a damn AI rams right into me while we are driving at low speed. Now, I brake until my car comes to a full stop, and the AI car is accelerating into me the whole time while I'm pushing the brakes. Im shaking my head here, and want to resume driving and I FUCKING CAN'T because this fucking AI car is actively driving into me, fishtailing me, preventing me from straightening up my car and continuing.

Seriously, what the fuck?! I can maybe somewhat understand that an AI car may screw up and bump into you in some situations, but not all the fucking time, man. And AI cars that ACTIVELY keep driving into me like I wasn't fucking there when they have two car withs of space to drive around me? This is just balls.

And driving without AI cars is too boring, and im tired of all the kamikazes in multiplayer. I'm shelving this for now, might come back if the AI ever improves.

DD

Just played Assetto Corsa for a while, and man, really really fuck the AI drivers in this game.

I'm doing a super good lap, driving on a long and wide straight, and this fucking AI car rams square into my back, instead of just, you know, driving around me, pushing me off the track and screwing up this lap that had me so thrilled because I was doing so well.

Fed up, I switch cars and tracks, and again a damn AI rams right into me while we are driving at low speed. Now, I brake until my car comes to a full stop, and the AI car is accelerating into me the whole time while I'm pushing the brakes. Im shaking my head here, and want to resume driving and I FUCKING CAN'T because this fucking AI car is actively driving into me, fishtailing me, preventing me from straightening up my car and continuing.

Seriously, what the fuck?! I can maybe somewhat understand that an AI car may screw up and bump into you in some situations, but not all the fucking time, man. And AI cars that ACTIVELY keep driving into me like I wasn't fucking there when they have two car withs of space to drive around me? This is just balls.

And driving without AI cars is too boring, and im tired of all the kamikazes in multiplayer. I'm shelving this for now, might come back if the AI ever improves.
Man, I'm glad I didn't pick this game. :p

Patrick S.

Banned
Man, I'm glad I didn't pick this game. :p

It's so frustrating that a game with such excellent driving and physics is brought down by this shitty AI (among other things, like sterile and lifeless production values, lack of game modes, low quantity of desirable official tracks).

TJP

For a little more background info, which track(s) and what percentage was the AI set to?

I'm not going to argue the AI in Assetto is great but I have found when set in the higher ranges of competency, the AI can be okay to race at more open/wide tracks such as Spa.

Patrick S.

Banned
For a little more background info, which track(s) and what percentage was the AI set to?

I'm not going to argue the AI in Assetto is great but I have found when set in the higher ranges of competency, the AI can be okay to race at more open/wide tracks such as Spa.

The first incident was at at Blackwood (a mod), the second incident at Black Cat County (official track). AI was at 82%. The driving straight into me has probably happened on every single track, and at different AI levels, too.

Zeth

The first incident was at at Blackwood (a mod), the second incident at Black Cat County (official track). AI was at 82%. The driving straight into me has probably happened on every single track, and at different AI levels, too.

They do usually have problems with stopped cars, especially if you're afk at the start.
AI improvements for 1.7 look like more subtle things like better overtaking and not giving up as soon as you get inside - hopefully they deal with slow/stopped traffic better too. I rarely have problems with them around 98, but the majority of my 1,000+ hrs in AC have been and continue to be one car + one track, lol.

terrible

Banned
AI seems to be super tricky to get right. In pretty much any sim they seem to either be too passive and never overtake or defend or they are careless and will take you out.

rFactor 2 and R3E seem to have the best AI out of the games I've played but even then I had a few really frustrating races in a row in R3E last week where the AI rear ended me in the last couple minutes in a 30 minute race in my custom championship. I actually haven't booted it up since then, I'm still a bit salty.

Assetto Corsa's AI is not good but at least the AI can finally survive turn 1 with a full grid on most tracks lol. That wasn't the case at all in the past.

100% agree with you. People who never played Forza with a wheel but maybe at some point with a pad will be super disappointed, first, then they'll be mad and ask questions if it's the same on Xbox One or just their wheel in Windows. If you only play Forza with a pad you would never know about a ton of its shortcomings in the suspension and tire department. I mean it's fantastic looking game with a ton of awesome and beautifully modeled cars - on the outside.

What will be VERY interesting though, when Forza finally gets any wheel support on PC, is whether it somehow will be possible to run wheels that don't use FFB output from the game and instead get the FFB from a Sim Commander or something similar that derives the FFB from other in-game data (you see, I don't know how that works so I assume it might be possible).
My guess is that Forza's tire model since FM6 is kinda good actually just the suspension model is still in GT3 land or not far off. Older cars however with soft springs, ARBs and kinda loose dampers would probably feel really nice and somewhat accurate in Forza had the game just better FFB-design, the car/tire physics would be up for it.
(let's not talk about input-lag in Forza though, I'm still not convinced that it's actual "lag" and not some weird input-smoothing/damping/non-linearity shenanigans badly ported from how gamepad inputs normally are used for steering... ehh, probably it's just me being stubborn about my opinion... let's not talk about it... let's not.

That would be mighty interesting if those Sim Commander boxes fix the FFB. I have the feeling that while the FFB is poor the physics and default tunes aren't helping either though. The back end always wants to get loose, even in low powered cars. The window to recover is really huge too. It makes for a really fun game but I don't think it's realistic.

It makes for a really fun game but I don't think it's realistic.

I think I've asked you before, but do you play with simulation or normal steering?
For me on sim-steering with higher degrees of rotation it's harder to catch a car in Forza than it is Assetto Corsa and even R3E where slick tires narrow the slip-angle limits a lot. I also feel like Forza's cars spin too violently like the angular mass distribution of the cars is messed up. On the normal steering option those effects are reduced and too much power oversteer more often leads to just a cool drift than a spinning out.

I think I've asked you before, but do you play with simulation or normal steering?
For me on sim-steering with higher degrees of rotation it's harder to catch a car in Forza than it is Assetto Corsa and even R3E where slick tires narrow the slip-angle limits a lot. I also feel like Forza's cars spin too violently like the angular mass distribution of the cars is messed up.
It's inpu...

(let's not talk about input-lag in Forza though... let's not talk about it... let's not.
loss_for_words.gif

terrible

Banned
For me on sim-steering with higher degrees of rotation it's harder to catch a car in Forza than it is Assetto Corsa and even R3E where slick tires narrow the slip-angle limits a lot. I also feel like Forza's cars spin too violently like the angular mass distribution of the cars is messed up. On the normal steering option those effects are reduced and too much power oversteer more often leads to just a cool drift than a spinning out.

Normal steering is the way to go with a wheel. I'm not sure what they are simulating with "simulation" steering. Normal feels, well, more normal. Normal steer, 540 DOR w/ sensitivity set to 3 flashes. That's what seems to work the best with a TX.

It's inpu...
...smoothing? ;)

[I was thinking of something like a low-pass filter that they might be using on the gamepad inputs as well ; (edit: shit, now I talked about it, never mind)]

Normal steering is the way to go with a wheel. I'm not sure what they are simulating with "simulation" steering. Normal feels, well, more normal. Normal steer, 540 DOR w/ sensitivity set to 3 flashes. That's what seems to work the best with a TX.
I played on simulation steering with two and sometimes even one flash for sensivity after the November/December patch when they partly fixed the snap-oversteer issues. The steering is just more responsive and I didn't like the thought "I should NOT have been able to recover from a slide like that!" I was having constantly on normal steering when I'm driving on my own just trying out cars and tracks. In April I had the feeling it got worse again, but couldn't find anything in the patch notes hinting at it. Anyway, I haven't played much of it since. Especially not after the GT86 comparison I posted in the pCARS thread about which left me kinda soured.

Bang Bang Racing is a cool little top down racer. There's also Mini Motor Racing EVO on that genre.

Gas Guzzlers Extreme if you like combat racers. Split/Second is a cool combat racer too. And there's Skydrift, a combat racing game with airplanes.

Dirt Showdown and Ridge Racer Unbounded if you're into crashing.

GGE also just got a major update with a new rendering engine on DX 11.

Top Bottom