• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

Shaneus

I'm about to give up on getting decent performance on pCARS... running quite low settings and still, when there's other drivers on the track does it crap out and drop to below 30fps.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but perhaps I just bugger off the career mode and just TT my way around the game.

Darksim

Yes and it's *orgasmic*. However, you need a very old version of Dolphin. One of the devs broke Skid's output slider only a couple months after he fixed it in 2013 and never repaired the forces. Now, if you try to play F-Zero GX the force feedback effects will be reversed. I opened up a bug ticket about it recently so it's at least in their bug queue.

A few months ago I edited the Dolphin source to reverse the default ffb direction so that it would work with my T300, and I recently compiled a build of 5.0 with the change as well. Am I allowed to link the build here? This seems like a more ideal place than the Dolphin forums.

I posted about my changes there in a thread where a T500 user had the same issue, but for him setting Dolphin to square force fixed the issue, while it didn't for me. At the time I didn't see anyone else mention having my issue so I didn't bother sharing the build, and Skid responded saying he would look into it, which I guess still hasn't happened yet. I did however just find your recent post in the original Dolphin ffb thread, funny stuff.

I think Logitech wheels are okay with the regular builds since they use the opposite ffb direction. My Momo Racing's ffb works perfectly, though it's just about impossible to turn the wheel fast enough to keep up with the game.

TJP

I'm about to give up on getting decent performance on pCARS... running quite low settings and still, when there's other drivers on the track does it crap out and drop to below 30fps.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but perhaps I just bugger off the career mode and just TT my way around the game.
ATI cards and pCARS don't seem to work well together - https://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/0/613957600528900678/

Perhaps the new RX 480 or even the GTX 1060 would be a good upgrade - not just for pCARS but also for what's coming to the PC in the coming months from MS and other studios.

Steering rim collection(and no, I'm not done collecting yet :p )

986kh9_bTNnJY1vjkqK8IKdUEIw1flP6bURNUMULp9qQQSXigJU2qURKf0zLEQ-wxH0SpuNjJK28j94jviuD_YMd9PcVkmPw2LJBV7WXanwqX7K7CVi-NP2JdzgFJGBlJjSGrRO3WZ5Ct2ZRlqvpsJsEH3KnATAZqledPCdtg8IUKYZsEoK-OBAQ-mziZpqThQjx-RU0hQ02DCfJKqNOOcI6JoZgw2YD4TH7xmUD5x91wNukS4_P7RrWc-ts1iiUJolUovxmMixDA3LL90QRBK6B30jCd95VORV1JJjT_o0VnIWMvYWB7V5oQ6dRd6O7X932l-hYoSn6z0VHgBVygqLEwgZNf7d-Sbm9AYIeawpGY1BfWgsRqNY8Esxx5DocW5se794AVuCwNMjWVR_mMPmAUh27KQiaoj4C19HX4Ocd854tsRevmmQZggpRWM4ChCIlUv4Jw7QVF8ACmrvhC3hMA-Y2_FX6ugoTsNKjwkqdFeizEEyevEYFhUhPkHioCbx80R2l7EidIljLRT4PGCPXKwBNfcjIAUMWx-YVVKYzjW03y5mRuV4IipdvoX9tF0hqnmo2geR_Ou9NFrrNLuyGQwjDdLQ=w1239-h929-no

The wheel at the bottom right reminds me of something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5YU8VTbJSk
DSCF1192.jpg

Where did you find it?

Shaneus

ATI cards and pCARS don't seem to work well together - https://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/0/613957600528900678/

Perhaps the new RX 480 or even the GTX 1060 would be a good upgrade - not just for pCARS but also for what's coming to the PC in the coming months from MS and other studios.
I think I've seen that thread :( And yeah, I only just bought this card (second-hand) towards the end of last year... not keen on getting rid of it anytime soon. Plus the cost :/

TJP

I think I've seen that thread :( And yeah, I only just bought this card (second-hand) towards the end of last year... not keen on getting rid of it anytime soon. Plus the cost :/
I hear you on the cost.

Given the GTX 1070 retails for $700+ AUD (OzBargain tells me $600 AUD delivered from Newegg/Amazon) and the RX 480/GTX are around the $320-$380 AUD mark, upgrading just got a whole lot more expensive :(

A guy I work with used to be a store manager for one of the PC part retailer and as always it's the distributors that really fuck us over down here; thank Christ for parallel importing ;)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
A few months ago I edited the Dolphin source to reverse the default ffb direction so that it would work with my T300, and I recently compiled a build of 5.0 with the change as well. Am I allowed to link the build here? This seems like a more ideal place than the Dolphin forums.

I posted about my changes there in a thread where a T500 user had the same issue, but for him setting Dolphin to square force fixed the issue, while it didn't for me. At the time I didn't see anyone else mention having my issue so I didn't bother sharing the build, and Skid responded saying he would look into it, which I guess still hasn't happened yet. I did however just find your recent post in the original Dolphin ffb thread, funny stuff.

I think Logitech wheels are okay with the regular builds since they use the opposite ffb direction. My Momo Racing's ffb works perfectly, though it's just about impossible to turn the wheel fast enough to keep up with the game.

Wait a minute who is this masked man????? ulao is that you? Racer_S? Squall Lionheart? Sent you a PM dude.....

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

terrible

Banned
Is there a Honda Indy (Toronto) track mod available for Assetto Corsa? I know there's one for rFactor 2 but I want to run it in Assetto Corsa.

isamu

Darksim I sent you a PM please reply.

Shaneus

Just submitted a refund request for pCARS on Steam. Noticed I only had 1hr of play on there (I'm sure I've messed around with it more than that) so figured I'd just do that. No regrets at all, I'd gladly forsake a game with a proper career mode for one that has far better feeling cars (thanks AMS, AC, rF2) out of the box and runs at a decent framerate.

Now I can put that money towards Doom :D

TJP

Just submitted a refund request for pCARS on Steam. Noticed I only had 1hr of play on there (I'm sure I've messed around with it more than that) so figured I'd just do that. No regrets at all, I'd gladly forsake a game with a proper career mode for one that has far better feeling cars (thanks AMS, AC, rF2) out of the box and runs at a decent framerate.

Now I can put that money towards Doom :D
pCARS is supposed to be okay on the PS4 should you own one. Unsure about the Xbox One - I believe it has major frame rate issues.

Doom was quite cheap on the weekend through GMG - $28USD from memory. Played the demo; felt like Halo than Doom to me. Saw it running maxed at 1440P on a GTX 1070 - shits all over the Xbox One version.

rFactor 2 – Palm Beach International Raceway Teaser Screenshots: http://www.bsimracing.com/rfactor-2-palm-beach-raceway-teaser-screenshots/

DD

You win. How can I possibly counter such an informed and eloquent argument?

Wait, are you serious? It's just my opinion, man. Honestly, I'm tired of all that SMS BS, "oh, now this time it will be good", and never is! They're like the Molyneux of the racing genre. Good for you if you are having fun with it, but you can't possibly say that PCars is a polished product.

Mascot

Wait, are you serious? It's just my opinion, man. Honestly, I'm tired of all that SMS BS, "oh, now this time it will be good", and never is! They're like the Molyneux of the racing genre. Good for you if you are having fun with it, but you can't possibly say that PCars is a polished product.

It's not polished at all in some key areas, but it's not 'shit' either. It's a solid PS4 game that launched with a number of deficiencies, and only some of those were rectified. But simply dismissing it as 'shit' does it a huge disservice. It actually exceeded my expectations for what was possible on the hardware.

DD

This adaptive AI on RaceRoom is getting on my nerves. It works well by learning how fast you drive in a certain track. The problem is that when you're using a car/track combo for the first time, the AI is annoyingly slow, and it only learns from you during the races. They should start that at least during the qualifyings.

I recently bought the WTCC 2015 pack and created a championship with them, but it's boring to always sit on pole and disappear ahead of everyone in the first few laps. I'm not in the mood to have a whole championship just so the AI can learn my pace. I think I'll delete this championship and start a new one, setting the AI level manually. The problem is that the manually set AI is kind of slow on certain tracks too, like on RaceRoom Raceway, for example.

terrible

Banned
Yeah the dynamic AI can be annoying to train. It felt like they were getting faster than me by the end of races sometimes too which resulted in me getting rear ended at the end of races (I mentioned this earlier). In general I still think it has some of the best AI though.

DD

Yeah the dynamic AI can be annoying to train. It felt like they were getting faster than me by the end of races sometimes too which resulted in me getting rear ended at the end of races (I mentioned this earlier). In general I still think it has some of the best AI though.

Alternatively, they could set the AI on a higher level by default, and only then to increase or decrease its speed depending on how you play. =B

I didn't notice any major framerate issues on Xbox One PCARS. Image quality isn't great however.

I did. It's rare, but Rain + AI is not good, at least kinda steady though.
What's really bad is some tracks in the morning or evening. 90% of a lap feel "solid 60" and then BAM, crepuscular rays through a tree, and it dips to ~30 with stutter or so. They also never fixed the over-rev "scratched CD" sound-bug or the "wait over a minute(!) to go one menu tier back to the title screen from the options menu"-bug (I know about the workaround, but common).

I certainly don't hate the game because some, uhmm..., a few cars feel great and the track selection with rain, mist, beautiful clouds and full ToD is absolutely amazing, but I do feel bad for having paid 100€ overall on it with the XB1 limited digital edition and re-buying it on PC in a steam sale 10 months later.

Effect

I should have kept AC in my cart during the steam sale. I figured Forza Motorsports 6 Apex would be enough. However now that I have faster cars unlocked the performance is dropping. Never had that when I tried out AC in the past or even with Project Cars when I tried it and this is on similar tracks between the games as well.

Guess I'll have to wait for AC to go on sale again. No hesitating this time.

Shaneus

RE: pCARS on PS4... I'd buy it, but I don't have a wheel and while I have the GIMX setup running (somewhat) with my PC, from what I saw with the game it's really just not worth it.

I'd kill for a quasi/half-arsed career mode with AMS though. Even the one included with AC is enough to calm the shakes, and that's about as basic as it gets.

DD

RE: pCARS on PS4... I'd buy it, but I don't have a wheel and while I have the GIMX setup running (somewhat) with my PC, from what I saw with the game it's really just not worth it.

I'd kill for a quasi/half-arsed career mode with AMS though. Even the one included with AC is enough to calm the shakes, and that's about as basic as it gets.

Yeah, the career mode on Pcars also let me disapointed. I mean, if you do a season in GT3, for example, and for the next season you decide to do another GT3 season, no matter if with the same car or not, you'll have the same tracks in the same order and the exact same time and weather patterns you had on the season before. I wonder if one day we'll have a propper, exciting and well polished racing sim. I'm currently on Grid Autosport to scratch that itch, although it's not really a sim.

Watevaman

Man, I love this car. Do you have the others in that DTM '92 pack? If so, how do they compare to the bimmer? I have the E30, but on the Touring Classics, and I've tried the DTM Merc, and it's also awesome.

I would just try all of the DTM cars and see if any of them stand out to you. I just drove them all around Zolder for a few laps each and here's a short rundown on what I think. All with the exact same setup, too.

Mercedes: Definitely a wild machine when you get on the power. Slides were controllable for the most part, braking was solid and the car felt good through the turns.

BMW: The M3 is the tamest of the bunch for me. It's very forgiving with the power and the brakes are predictable and rarely lock. I can't really get the M3 to slide unless I really want it to.

Audi: The Audi is great on the power and super planted around turns to the point that it didn't want to break traction at all. However, the brakes were terrible to me. They lock under the slightest of pressure which is terrible on my DFGT pedals.

Mustang: Probably my favorite of the bunch. Sounds the best and controls about equal in power, handling, and braking. It'll get loose but it will follow through with your intended action with a little finesse. Brakes are great and it feels planted through all the turns.

Opel: My least favorite of the bunch. It had the same brake problem as the Audi but without the benefit of being super stable in corners. It didn't like my corrections very much to slides and I felt it was just no fun to drive.

DD

I would just try all of the DTM cars and see if any of them stand out to you. I just drove them all around Zolder for a few laps each and here's a short rundown on what I think. All with the exact same setup, too.

Mercedes: Definitely a wild machine when you get on the power. Slides were controllable for the most part, braking was solid and the car felt good through the turns.

BMW: The M3 is the tamest of the bunch for me. It's very forgiving with the power and the brakes are predictable and rarely lock. I can't really get the M3 to slide unless I really want it to.

Audi: The Audi is great on the power and super planted around turns to the point that it didn't want to break traction at all. However, the brakes were terrible to me. They lock under the slightest of pressure which is terrible on my DFGT pedals.

Mustang: Probably my favorite of the bunch. Sounds the best and controls about equal in power, handling, and braking. It'll get loose but it will follow through with your intended action with a little finesse. Brakes are great and it feels planted through all the turns.

Opel: My least favorite of the bunch. It had the same brake problem as the Audi but without the benefit of being super stable in corners. It didn't like my corrections very much to slides and I felt it was just no fun to drive.

Oh, I wasn't expecting this level of detailing, haha. Thanks, nice roundup!

The M3 is the sweetest, and I loved what I felt with the Merc when I tested one. But I was more interested in that Opel, cuz that model was produced and realeased around here too, so it's a beloved car. Sad to see that it kind of sux. That yellow paintjob is sexy.

TJP

Oh my...comments on pCARS for the PS4 and Xbox One may have upset the apple cart. Let's not decend into the comments sections of VirtualR and bsimracing gents.

Mascot loves pCARS it seems and good for him if it's the game he's after. Same for you too if you didn't like what SMS released; FWIW I know a few people who are disappointed with pCARS and are tired of the SMS mantra of 'it'll be fixed in the next game' - vote with your wallet with their next release and move on.

Who knows what might have been if SimBin/Sector 3 and SMS had stayed together...GTR 3 most likely!

This adaptive AI on RaceRoom is getting on my nerves. It works well by learning how fast you drive in a certain track. The problem is that when you're using a car/track combo for the first time, the AI is annoyingly slow, and it only learns from you during the races. They should start that at least during the qualifyings.
Welcome to the world of a dev trying something new then realising that it takes a lot of time for 1 out of the 11 people working on R3E to polish the adaptive AI to an acceptable level. At one point in the WIP build we had AI that would randomly overshoot corners, cause the car to squirm under heavy braking and get some cars loose under full acceleration (I've seen this in AMS with the F1 cars quite a few times) - the AI felt alive and then it changed again :(

Internally Sector 3 recognise they haven't done a great job detailing how the adaptive AI works and how to train it up to be as fast or very slightly faster than the player. Rread the following for a great example of how to train the AI: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/the-new-adaptive-ai.5013/page-4#post-70837 and a 23 minute video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvxG9CEs87E

If you want to reset the AI, delete the file aiadaptation.xml found in \SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1

saladine1

Mustang is my favourite too.
The sound is brutal.
You would expect it to be the worst driving car but it really is a predictable and stable car in general..

Putty

Performance on PS4 PCars is pretty great imo....not 60 locked of course but its only when there's lots of cars that it wavers.

What's the crack with AC btw, is it highly rated? How does it compare to PCars for example?

Mascot

Oh my...comments on pCARS for the PS4 and Xbox One may have upset the apple cart. Let's not decend into the comments sections of VirtualR and bsimracing gents.

Mascot loves pCARS it seems and good for him if it's the game he's after. Same for you too if you didn't like what SMS released; FWIW I know a few people who are disappointed with pCARS and are tired of the SMS mantra of 'it'll be fixed in the next game' - vote with your wallet with their next release and move on.

I don't love pCARS, but it's the best game of it's type on consoles. I've had an overall positive experience with it but I'm not blind to its faults and deficiencies. It was probably too ambitious, but does deliver racing thrills and an authentic race weekend experience, which a lot of similar games seem oblivious to.

rF2 and AMS have solid AI; R3E is getting better but still way to happy to punt the player off.
In the latest version of rF2, one superb addition to the AI (which as usual, ISI failed to add to the changelog) is the ability to set AI strength/aggression on a per-track bases. No more having to switch between 108% at Quebec, 101% at Silverstone and 96% at Croft for me.

saladine1

Have to agree with Mascot. pCars gives me that authentic race day feel and atmosphere. I'm a single player type of guy and CARS is the only game for me to experience a grueling and nerve wracking race whereas other games I tend to just hot lap.

I'm hoping CARS 2 will be even better in this regard...

TJP

In the latest version of rF2, one superb addition to the AI (which as usual, ISI failed to add to the changelog) is the ability to set AI strength/aggression on a per-track bases. No more having to switch between 108% at Quebec, 101% at Silverstone and 96% at Croft for me.
ISI didn't document something new? Colour me surprised!

I've been driving the latest version of the URD EGT paid for mod which has been great fun in rF2. URD are supposed to have an update to their PX mod (Le Mans prototypes) in the near future, along with a new T5 (DTM 2015/16) mod; the AC versions are updated more often (I own all the URD mods for both sims) but I find the rF2 version more rewarding to drive. ASR have some great mods too; their F3 car is brilliant fun and the only car one has to pay for.

Shame these mods is let down by the quality of many non ISI tracks. The latest version of the Le Mans circuit (MotoGP short circuit) shows what can be done by modders. I wish Feels3 had time to return to rF2 as his tracks were damn good too.

Performance on PS4 PCars is pretty great imo....not 60 locked of course but its only when there's lots of cars that it wavers.

What's the crack with AC btw, is it highly rated? How does it compare to PCars for example?
PCARS has better graphics, and has an interesting career mode. AC has better physics, and is good for quick online races. Both good, but they have different priorities, so it depends what you're looking for.

TJP

PCARS has better graphics, and has an interesting career mode. AC has better physics, and is good for quick online races. Both good, but they have different priorities, so it depends what you're looking for.
A good summation; pcars has changeable weather and full day-night-day transition making it, along with rF2, the only modern PC sims to have these features. AC may get weather that can be changed but not dynamic.

It will be interesting to watch the reaction to AC by console owners.

I tried a little program which someone made that analyzes your replay file, and then plays TV director complete with overlays and camera cuts. It spits out a video file after...err.. several hours! It's a great idea, but it's somewhat half baked. Still, it was nice to not have to do any editing whatsoever.

I think I'll try capturing the live stream next time.

Bonus: Actual SRFs (gen3) @ RdAm

Zeth

AC 1.7 Changelog
- Added Red Bull Ring track (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Ferrari SF15-T (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Ferrari F138 (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Ferrari 488 GT3 (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Lamborghini Aventador SV (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4 (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Maserati 250F 6 cylinder (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Maserati 250F 12 cylinder (Red Pack DLC)
- Added Maserati Levante S
- Performance Delta App: Added instant velocity difference bar
- Realtime App: Added road/ambient temperatures and grip
- Fixed system messages when ABS and TC are not available
- Added loading/saving system for fixed setup sessions
- Added audio device selector on Audio App. If saved device is not there, main device will be used
- Added volume ramp function to overcome issues with logitech headphone drivers
- Added Precision slider in Photo App
- Added missing icons on replay interface
- Added QUANTITY_MULT in system/cfg/skidmarks.ini
- Fixed RX-7 Tuned turbo sound behavior
- Fixed Alfa 155 mixing route for external sounds
- Fixed Ferrari F40 low-pass filter and some events volume
- Balanced exterior volume for all the cars
- New Bmw M3 e92 external sounds
- Added brake disc temperature simulation to (Ferrari 488 GT3, Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4,Maserati Levante)
- New Drivemotive Drifting School livery for BMW M3 e92 drift and S1 variants
- Tyre pressure now influences temperature spread and build up
- Added dynamic controller for EBB (electronic brake balance). Use file ctrl_ebb.ini for the controller.
- Added daylight function on "lights" script
- Added multiple turbo analogue instruments management
- Added server hints on RaceControl screen
- Added TC, ABS, Turbo keys to controller interface (both up and down)
- now TC and ABS can be cycled back through CTRL + SHIFT
- Added Flashing lights
- Showroom: Added video editing camera controls
- Showroom: Added car lights trigger as script "SHOWROOM""LOAD_LIGHTS" (previews are made without car lights)
- Showroom: Added support for extra animations (extra_animations.ini). Numkey_6
- Added blinking light system
- Fixed Volume App not saving bumper audio
- Added jump start
- Added 3 different selectable penalties configurations for jump starts
- Added penalty for "ESC to pits" during race
- Fixed some car/track combination resetting to pits at the start of HotLap sessions
- Improved remote cars movements over curbs
- AI is not making brake mistakes for cars that have ABS available
- Different level of engine brake are now selectable by the users on cars that offer the option (Ctrl+E)
- Added graphics smoothing for rigid bodies coming from physics
- Onboard brake bias now follows same limits in the FRONT_BIAS section in setup.ini
- Red lines and indications for gear change in the GUI are now considering damage rpms as well as limiters
- Laps completed indications in the GUI during races now refer to "leader completed laps" and not player completed laps
- Performance Delta app is now using spline position for calculation instead of distance calculated from car speed (less realistic but much more precise)
- New camera view at start, showing car instead of track
- New AI algorithms for race craft
- AI drivers are now much more variable in performance during a single lap and during a session
- "Lights on/off" is now a status of a car instead of a switch and gets replicated over the network properly
- Tyre radius is now also a function of tyre angular velocity
- Fixed self align torque going to negative values too early
- Added ERS simulation with MGU-K, MGU-H, Batteries, energy recovery and deployment limits
- Added active variable rear brake torque. Works in addition to the MGU-K recovery
- Added variable engine brake
- Added key/button commands for above ERS functions and profiles.
- New Tyre Model V10 for selected cars
- Additional general bugfixing on car graphics and some improvements to lods across the entire vehicle content
- 3D improvements on the Nissan R34 Skyline
- 3D improvements on the Nissan 370Z Nismo
- 3D improvements on the Ferrari LaFerrari
- General bugfixes in several tracks
- New clouds textures
- Improved PPeffects
- Improved Weathers
- Fixed GUI not showing on Oculus with PP off and AA on
- Added the possibility to launch sim directly. Add section
[AUTOSPAWN]
ACTIVE=1
To race.ini then start AssettoCorsa.exe
Some advice from Aris on how to go about enjoying the new Red Pack cars.

Shaneus

I don't love pCARS, but it's the best game of it's type on consoles. I've had an overall positive experience with it but I'm not blind to its faults and deficiencies. It was probably too ambitious, but does deliver racing thrills and an authentic race weekend experience, which a lot of similar games seem oblivious to.
Honestly, this is what I'd want. But the performance on PC with my GPU just didn't fly and was actually intolerable compared to how well every other driving game runs.

Shame, but I'm hoping that VERY soon this will be satiated when F1 2016 rolls around. Really excited about that, and now that the guy who headed a lot of the initial games has left Codies (I forget his name, but he was incredibly arrogant) I'm feeling pretty confident about it.

Top Bottom