• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

Changelog:
Added Kart layout
Improved surface/microbumps feel
Implemented latest RealRoad shader
New road texture
New road detail maps
Replaced paddock asphalt with a more accurate version
Replaced pitlane concrete with a more accurate version
Fixed inaccurate curb lengths
Remapped curbs
Updated white line material
Added blue lines in pitlane
Reconformed and remapped all painted lines
Remapped and enhanced RaceGroove for both layouts
Optimized RaceSurfaces for smoothness
Cleaned up terrain mesh
Implemented latest terrain shader and blended terrain
New grass and soil textures
Terrain Radiosity pass
Optimized terrain objects for smoothness
Added grass verge decals
Improved water to resemble swamp pond
Added sunblocker object
Optimized fence materials for better performance
Fixed fence mapping glitch
Added foam defender barriers
Fixed tyre belt shadow issues
Replaced tyre walls
Added barrier collision objects
Optimized walls, fences, tyre barriers for smoothness
Replaced 3D trees with much better ones
Replaced and replanted 2D trees with baked 3D trees
Replaced and replanted shrubs
Added water plants
Optimized vegetation objects for smoother performance
Replaced Road Course and Drag Race Control towers with new, high detail models
Optimized secondary buildings and improved textures and materials
Optimized grandstand objects and materials, and improved textures
Added DigiFlags to Road Course
Replaced floodlight posts with much better model
Added night glow objects
Removed flags and sponsor signs
Added stand in pitlane
Added some electrical boxes
Optimized power lines
Updated notice boards to rF2 users
Improved drag strip score board signs (static)
Replaced cones with much more detailed ones
Replaced outhouses with much better model
Replaced bins with much better model
Replanted and optimized crowds
Replaced car trailer and bus with much better models
Replaced low poly trackside cars with higher detail ones
Refreshed trackside cameras
Updated AIW with all the latest tech
Updated TDF with all the latest tech
Removed HDR Profiles
Created new UI art
Added Test Team RealRoad Preset Package

http://rfactor.net/web/2016/07/13/palm-beach-international-raceway-v2-02-now-available/

DX12 iRacing looks awesome!
Fingers crossed this leads to a tighter field with closer racing.
It's taken 2.5 years but I think Kunos have finally cracked the major AI issue; racecraft. Their pack formation feels more realistic, they overtake with greater frequency and have even defend some of my aggressive moves. Usually, after an AC update, I play a couple of races, complain about the AI on GAF and subsequently wipe it from my machine. This time however, I'm happy to report that the AI has advanced to such a point that I no longer feel compelled to delete.

That being said, while racecraft has received a substantial improvement, the 'slow driving' aspect seems to have been untouched. In the races I did at Spa and Brands Indy, they were still losing way way way too much speed through Eau Rouge, Blanchimont and Graham Hill. Thankfully, I imagine improving overall corner speed should be a relatively simple job compared to their racecraft.

Also, I still really want to turn AI speed up to 105%.

DD

Rread the following for a great example of how to train the AI: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/the-new-adaptive-ai.5013/page-4#post-70837 and a 23 minute video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvxG9CEs87E

If you want to reset the AI, delete the file aiadaptation.xml found in \SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1

Thanks for the tips, TJP, but I won't be doing that, haha! Too much work. Better find a good fixed IA level for me. =/

It's taken 2.5 years but I think Kunos have finally cracked the major AI issue; racecraft. Their pack formation feels more realistic, they overtake with greater frequency and have even defend some of my aggressive moves. Usually, after an AC update, I play a couple of races, complain about the AI on GAF and subsequently wipe it from my machine. This time however, I'm happy to report that the AI has advanced to such a point that I no longer feel compelled to delete.

That being said, while racecraft has received a substantial improvement, the 'slow driving' aspect seems to have been untouched. In the races I did at Spa and Brands Indy, they were still losing way way way too much speed through Eau Rouge, Blanchimont and Graham Hill. Thankfully, I imagine improving overall corner speed should be a relatively simple job compared to their racecraft.

That's good news!

Sounds great. I had high hopes after watching his "cat hacked in" videos on his personal channel (which btw is easily the best dev-to-player interaction in racing sims).

Watevaman

Good to hear about the AI in AC. I tend to switch between AC and RRRE for my racing nowadays, so it'll be nice to try racing the AI again in AC.

Dave_6

Loving the new DLC. The 12 cyl 250F is insane in a good way. The men that drove these cars at ~180 mph had some incredible skills!

DD

Don't know exactly where to post it, so I'll post here. The Latin American cover for F1 2016 because of reasons.

13731781_10153714168967060_3228887481452731983_o.jpg

13724024_10153714169057060_4226609784398518209_o.jpg

13731922_10153714169372060_7513288585103927587_o.jpg

Still derpy, but the hype is real.

deadfolk

Could anyone please suggest good cars/tracks to get started with for someone just getting into sim racing?

I have AC (with first three dream packs), pCars (no DLC) and AMS.

I really don't know anything about race driving so far, so I'm just looking for combinations that will be easy to handle while I find my feet.

DD

Could anyone please suggest good cars/tracks to get started with for someone just getting into sim racing?

I really don't know anything about race driving so far, so I'm just looking for combinations that will be easy to handle while I find my feet.

Of these three, I have only pCars and the Ginetta GT4 is really sweet to drive. I think that Brno and Road America are good circuits to practice.

Zeth

Loving the new DLC. The 12 cyl 250F is insane in a good way. The men that drove these cars at ~180 mph had some incredible skills!
Tire model 10 seems fantastic so far. Take the 12cyl out to RBR and find the limits of grip on those long fast corners where you modulate the throttle to steer - with small counter steering inputs - the flexing feeling overall with the FFB is god damn amazing, not sure I've felt that before in AC. It's not quite the same as the usual weight transfer feeling.

Brands Hatch GP is a really easy track to get cornering basics right, I'd pick Laguna Seca as the next thing after that. Laguna Seca is still pretty easy, but it has corners that let you practice "slow in, fast out" and corners where you can't see the apex so you need to find a brake and a turn-in point to get it right. Just lap yourself for the start and look at the delta-time. Once you feel like you can't improve anymore, look on youtube for onboard laps of professional drivers and how they tackle each corner and analyze what they are doing different.

Actually I think Lime Rock Park is the best if you are ready to play around at finding ideal lines for your car, but that's not in those games (maybe there is a mod for AC?!?? Idk).

As for cars, I'd pick something rear wheel drive with not too much power and almost zero downforce for the start. pCARS has a Caterham 7 that might be good and AC has a really good Caterham mod car (could be on an old tyre model though, but that's ok I think).

Some driving learning videos on youtube that were kinda good (I'm sure there are even better ones) but iRacing has some videos for starters (they are a bit boring though), "Safe is Fast" is kinda interesting but not geared at sim-racing and youtuber EmptyBox (that guy is actually good at racing imo) has a learning series (edit: it's called "Sim Racing 101", episode 7, 8(!) and 9 are interesting and 15(!!) about weight transfer especially).

Holy sh*it, I find these two tracks some of the hardest ones on every sim that has 'em, haha!
For real? You're the first person I've heard of who thinks that. I mean, yea Laguna Seca is hard to master entirely, but you can get pretty close somewhat easily. Brno has way to many corners that all look the same if you are new to the track. The corners in Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca look unique and you can orientate yourself after like 2 laps.

Edit: I agree on the ginetta tip though, that car is good for starters especially if your main goal is to drive GT3 cars. On Road America the straights are too long, the main thing you learn there is braking points and how to brake.

hunchback

I have 2 questions. Is rF2 the best race platform for Kart racing or is there a really good dedicated Go Kart sim?

What is the best MotoGP sim out there? I love racing Superbikes.

DD

For real? You're the first person I've heard of who thinks that. I mean, yea Laguna Seca is hard to master entirely, but you can get pretty close somewhat easily. Brno has way to many corners that all look the same if you are new to the track. The corners in Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca look unique and you can orientate yourself after like 2 laps.

Edit: I agree on the ginetta tip though, that car is good for starters especially if your main goal is to drive GT3 cars. On Road America the straights are too long, the main thing you learn there is braking points and how to brake.

Too many tricky sudden elevation and camber changes in these two tracks, and some corners are a nightmare to masters IMO, haha. You're right about the corners that look the same at Brno, but I always felt that that's a forgiving track, and that's why I recommend it for starters.

Too many tricky sudden elevation and camber changes in these two tracks, and some corners are a nightmare to masters IMO, haha. You're right about the corners that look the same at Brno, but I always felt that that's a forgiving track, and that's why I recommend it for starters.
yea, especially that ONE "corner", it's true ;D

Road America can teach you some good stuff about elevation changes for starters, but I stick to my choices. ...and add the Mazda MX5 Cup car in AC to the list for starters.

terrible

Banned
Leguna Seca is a pretty easy track overall even if the corkscrew is crazy. Spa and Silverstone are pretty beginner friendly too though I personally find Silverstone to be boring.

Leguna Seca is a pretty easy track overall even if the corkscrew is crazy. Spa and Silverstone are pretty beginner friendly too though I personally find Silverstone to be boring.

Silverstone is boring in slow cars and too hard for starters... some lines to get good are also not straight forward (maybe learn the shorter layouts first then do the whole thing?!?). Spa though... yea it looks hard and long and complicated, but it can make you feel good about racing pretty easy... not sure it's good for learning on improving lap times... too long for that and has no shorter layouts neither.

I also feel like the "new guys" are playing "experienced race driver" here. DD has no wheel and terrible and me are not exactly fast guys xD.
Wonder what Betta and BigT recommend.

terrible

Banned
I think we're probably more qualified for this than those who are actually legitimately quick haha. We're probably closer to the "I just started playing racing sims today" type person than them.

The tracks I listed are ones that either have lots of run off so you aren't in the dirt or grass 24/7 while you're learning how to drive or they're tracks that require pretty basic racing lines for a beginner.

I wouldn't give my opinion on what tracks are the easiest or hardest to master since quite frankly I probably haven't "mastered" a single track at all if the R3E leaderboards are any indication. If I hit the top 30% I'm happy. Only in Forza can I be tricked into thinking I'm good with many top 1% times. I'm probably years of experience away from actually being any good. Sure is fun though.

DD

I though about Spa too, but it has the Raidillon/Eau Rouge, and I find Pouhon, Paul Frère and even Blanchimont can be tricky depending of what you're driving. I effin love that track. <3

Not a fan of Silverston here too. :p That Copse, Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel section can be tricky, tho.

Silverstone is boring in slow cars and too hard for starters... some lines to get good are also not straight forward (maybe learn the shorter layouts first then do the whole thing?!?). Spa though... yea it looks hard and long and complicated, but it can make you feel good about racing pretty easy... not sure it's good for learning on improving lap times... too long for that and has no shorter layouts neither.

I also feel like the "new guys" are playing "experienced race driver" here. DD has no wheel and terrible and me are not exactly fast guys xD.
Wonder what Betta and BigT recommend.
I had a borrowed Logitech Momo, and now I'm rocking with a G27. :D

But I still suck

I think we're probably more qualified for this than those who are actually legitimately quick haha. We're probably closer to the "I just started playing racing sims today" type person than them.

The tracks I listed are ones that either have lots of run off so you aren't in the dirt or grass 24/7 while you're learning how to drive or they're tracks that require pretty basic racing lines for a beginner.

I wouldn't give my opinion on what tracks are the easiest or hardest to master since quite frankly I probably haven't "mastered" a single track at all if the R3E leaderboards are any indication. If I hit the top 30% I'm happy. Only in Forza can I be tricked into thinking I'm good with many top 1% times. I'm probably years of experience away from actually being any good. Sure is fun though.

yea, the top 20% on the hardcore-leaderboard in forza are the 100% on the R3E boards. AC would have some good leaderboards for our skill level. I'd trust the fast guys - at least the ones in this thread - more than us, even if our tips are kinda reasonable and have a logic to them. I bet some really REALLY fast guys could have the most stupid tips for beginners.

I had a borrowed Logitech Momo, and now I'm rocking with a G27. :D
I remembered that... somehow I remembered problems with it and you playing with a controller again?!?? Must have mixed that up. But cool.

DD

yea, the top 20% on the hardcore-leaderboard in forza are the 100% on the R3E boards. AC would have some good leaderboards for our skill level. I'd trust the fast guys - at least the ones in this thread - more than us, even if our tips are kinda reasonable and have a logic to them. I bet some really REALLY fast guys could have the most stupid tips for beginners.

I remembered that... somehow I remembered problems with it and you playing with a controller again?!?? Must have mixed that up. But cool.

Yeah, I had to give it back to the owner and got back to my old X360 pad for some time. :p

terrible

Banned

I downloaded an app for leaderboards on AC and I was consistently far down the list though there weren't a lot of recorded times. People on PC are faaaaast.

Knowing your iRating, I'm guessing I must've stumbled upon a couple of tracks the AI has trouble with? You should be wanting it set at 120%! ;)
You're right, the AI really sucks at Spa! It also depends on the car too. Against a field of 15 Tatuus at Imola, starting from 5th, I just scraped 2nd (10 lap race, green track, 98% AI). Same settings in the DTM E30 M3, and it's a relatively comfortable win from the back of the grid. It's a good step in the right direction, the side-by-side behaviour is much improved, more fun now!

I have AC (with first three dream packs)
For AC I'd suggest Magione and Vallelunga. Barely any elevation changes or unusual cambers. Vallelunga is good because you can start with the Club layout, and then progress to 'Classic' and then the full circuit. It's very wide, and there are a lot of asphalt run-offs and not much to hit. Magione is easy to learn but hard to perfect, fitting a lot of different radius corners in a short lap. I also have to disagree with TylerDurden4321, I think Brands and Laguna are really tough! Loads of elevation changes, blind apexes, unusual cambers everywhere. But it's true that they have more recognisable corners.

I think it depends what we're talking about here - are you 'learning a track' or 'learning to drive'? Because if you're just trying to get a feel for the driving, then the track isn't all that important, only that the simpler, flatter ones will allow you to practice steering and pedal inputs with more consistency (fewer variables affecting handling). If you're up for learning a track, then certainly Laguna Sega is has some very memorable corners, but it's difficult!

In terms of cars, the Toyota GT86 or Mazda MX-5 ND might be good ones to start with. I would disable traction control as soon as possible. Once you've got the hang of that, maybe the Lotus 2 Eleven and the MX-5 Cup, as they're more likely to bite back. The temptation is to go for something much quicker, as they feel stuck to the road and 'easier', but it's a false sense of security. You'll learn much more about car handling from the slower stuff.

I think it depends what we're talking about here - are you 'learning a track' or 'learning to drive'? Because if you're just trying to get a feel for the driving, then the track isn't all that important, only that the simpler, flatter ones will allow you to practice steering and pedal inputs with more consistency (fewer variables affecting handling). If you're up for learning a track, then certainly Laguna Sega is has some very memorable corners, but it's difficult!
That's a good call. I like Magione a lot, flat and short (so you get a new try at a corner without having to drive another 7km) but some turn-combinations are not easy to figure out... maybe good to learn about lines though. The good starter thing it's missing is right-angle corners (the 3 that are there are more likes 2 esses)[that's one of the main reasons why I think Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca are good... it's also what makes Spa not that hard, but still too long].

I just remembered that he only has the first 3 dream packs in AC and no DLC for pCARS, so no mazdas. But there is a nice older Mazda MX-5 modded car for AC(that some MX-5 owners on racedepartment.com gave 5 stars, so it's probably not bad. Also a newer MX-5 cup mod that got good but not outstanding reviews) and a GT86. pCARS has the Scion as free DLC that is a GT86 in disguise. Maybe put on bad tires with high tire pressure to have less grip like Betta suggested.

I just remembered that he only has the first 3 dream packs in AC and no DLC for pCARS, so no mazdas.
Ah good point! I forgot there have been so many! Definitely would recommend the Japanese pack, some of the best cars in AC, and probably worth it for the MX-5 Cup alone, which is always going to be popular for racing online.

Darkdeus

Damn playing AC at 2.0 super-sampling and 4X MSAA in the rift with my 1080 feels amazing. The extra clarity really adds to the immersion. The headset is capable of way more than most people realize. You just need to have the AA settings and power to run them at 90fps. I feel bad for people who tried the rift/vive at lower graphic settings. It really is way less pleasant and playable.

You're right, the AI really sucks at Spa!
If Kunos reworked pathing at Graham Hill, Sheene and Sterling, the AI might have a chance, otherwise I'll forever be going from 24th to first in 4 laps.

Speaking of Brands, in preparation for the Spec Ford iRacing event there in August, I took the car out for 10 laps testing last night. I know it was only 10 laps, in a car I've only previously driven for 2 minutes, but I'm 5 seconds off the (alien) pace! That's some time to find! :0

TJP

From Aris:

Hotfix is coming tonight for SF15T

-gear ratio changes
-engine power delivery over 10,500RPM

Watevaman

I'm gonna need a new processor if I'm gonna run with any kind of diverse field of AI in AC. I tried a race around Spa with 20 opponents (I think 14 unique car models) and it was almost constantly giving me that CPU warning and making everything slow motion. Can't be doing that.

And with RRRE I can run a field of 40+ with only a framerate drop.

Features & Fixes:

• Enhanced pneumatic trail by adding new PneumaticTrailGripFractPower (PTGFP) function, for much improved self-aligning torque (should make tire forces more perceivable through FFB)
  • Tweaked FFB output code & added “FFB Low Force Boost” to Controller UI (this should help wheel “lightness” under low steering forces with lower end FFB controllers)
  • Added new low-speed FFB function to eliminate vibration / oscillation at very slow speeds

PneumaticTrailGripFractPower? kermitlotion.gif

Patrick S.

Banned
As I said, I stopped playing AC after one more ragequit a few days ago, but I read brief mentions of changes to the AI. Is it better now?

As I said, I stopped playing AC after one more ragequit a few days ago, but I read brief mentions of changes to the AI. Is it better now?
Very much so. But as marvelharvey says, the pathing is messed up in certain places, which makes them lose too much pace in a predictable manner.

Shawsie64

Banned
Having an issue with Rfactor 2 and low frame rates.. Is Rfactor 2 CPU intensive? Think my i2500K might be holding me back. My GTX 1070 can push 150+ fps in AC no worries and its a far prettier game. Meanwhile Rfactor 2 drops to 80fps (running triple 1080P 144hz monitors)

That's just rFactor 2, it's incredibly GPU intensive, despite its lack of fidelity. On my single screen with a 980ti, I still need to turn some settings down lol.

Shawsie64

Banned
That's just rFactor 2, it's incredibly GPU intensive, despite its lack of fidelity. On my single screen with a 980ti, I still need to turn some settings down lol.

Ah ok good to know I'm not the only one, not a huge deal but a bit jarring going from a smooth AC to a janky Rfactor. Might just turn everything down to get to a steady frame rate..

terrible

Banned
I stopped playing rFactor 2 even though I really like it because it became unplayable over time. My rig can't keep up. As soon as I start filling a race with AI I drop below 60 FPS.

I'll get back into it once I upgrade lol.

For those of you wishing to improve framerates in rFactor2 without sacrificing too much, here's my top tip:

Step 1) In graphical settings, look at Opponent Detail. If it's already set to Low, then this tip won't work, sorry.
Step 2) Turn the Opponent Detail down from High to Medium or from Medium to Low. <- remember what the original setting was.
Step 3) Next, navigate to C:\Users\YourName\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\ and open the player.JSON file in notepad.
Step 4) Find the line 'Opponent Texture Override "-1"' and if the original Opponent Detail setting was High, change the "-1" to 3, otherwise if it was Medium, change it to 2.

Now your opponents will be of lower poly count (which I barely notice) but retain the original texture resolution. If you reduce the opponent detail without overriding the texture, they'll be a mess of blurry N64 textures.

The more cars you run, the more apparent the framerate increase will be.

I've previously been a console-only racing fan, and just built a baller gaming PC. Am wondering if there is a consensus on what might would be the best first game purchase. I'll probably be using a PS4 or 360 controller - no wheel, and have no interest in F1/Bikes/Nascar.

On consoles, I have previously adored:

Ferarri F355 Challenge
NFS: Underground
Burnout: Paradise
PGR 3
PGR 4
Drive Club

So basically, leaning a bit more toward sim, but arcadey leanings are OK too. No real preference on open world or select-a-track mode. Graphical showpiece is a plus, and I love a great detailed interior cockpit view.

So basically, leaning a bit more toward sim, but arcadey leanings are OK too. No real preference on open world or select-a-track mode. Graphical showpiece is a plus, and I love a great detailed interior cockpit view.

If you are looking for good graphics and a fairly new game, the PC looks more like "kinda serious sim" OR "really arcady". Maybe you should wait for Forza Horizon 3?!??
Physics-wise it sounds like exactly what you want... plays well with a controller, physics are sim-based but much more approachable and it seems to look fantastic.

If you are looking for the arcade suggestions, two pages back in this thread we talked about it.

What else...
RaceRoom Racing Experience is a real sim, but it can look kinda nice, has 2 "less sim'y physics" modes and is F2P (more like free to try, not many tracks are F2P, but it has the best sound in any racing game) ......Forza Motorsport Apex is free too (unless you absolutely want nothing to do with UWP).

I'm not gonna recommend Project CARS or DiRT Rally, but maybe take a look if it's something for you. Some here say pCARS plays terrible with a controller though. Both can look really nice, especially pCARS' ToD and sky.

Shaneus

Don't know exactly where to post it, so I'll post here. The Latin American cover for F1 2016 because of reasons.

Still derpy, but the hype is real.
I like how none of the cars shown belong to the drivers pictured. And that photoshop job is terribad, especially Checo.

Top Bottom