• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

DD

I've previously been a console-only racing fan, and just built a baller gaming PC. Am wondering if there is a consensus on what might would be the best first game purchase. I'll probably be using a PS4 or 360 controller - no wheel, and have no interest in F1/Bikes/Nascar.

On consoles, I have previously adored:

Ferarri F355 Challenge
NFS: Underground
Burnout: Paradise
PGR 3
PGR 4
Drive Club

So basically, leaning a bit more toward sim, but arcadey leanings are OK too. No real preference on open world or select-a-track mode. Graphical showpiece is a plus, and I love a great detailed interior cockpit view.
Dirt 3? I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's the only one that kind of fits in what you're looking for that I could think of.

DD

True, GRID 2 has a good mix of of reality and arcadyness. Thrilling!

But it lacks the internal view he wants. :p

Grid Autosport, on the other hand, has internal view, but it aint pretty and it's less arcadey. Best circuit racer from the last 10 years nonetheless, IMHO.

TJP

Having an issue with Rfactor 2 and low frame rates.. Is Rfactor 2 CPU intensive? Think my i2500K might be holding me back. My GTX 1070 can push 150+ fps in AC no worries and its a far prettier game. Meanwhile Rfactor 2 drops to 80fps (running triple 1080P 144hz monitors)
I doubt it's your processor. I ran the exact same CPU until my motherboard shat itself. rF2 is heavy on the GPU for reasons only known to ISI.

That said, I ran 20 AI in the rain with a single GTX 680 and i52500K at 60fps and max settings except for the reflections which were set to low.

Edit: I see Marvel has some solid ideas for the opponent details.

Shaneus

But it lacks the internal view he wants. :p

Grid Autosport, on the other hand, has internal view, but it aint pretty and it's less arcadey. Best circuit racer from the last 10 years nonetheless, IMHO.
I've been giving GRID 2 a bit of a blast recently, and it's crazy fun. I'm sure there's a mod for a quasi-interior view too, but for the most part the bonnet cam suffices.

I'd actually recommend that, come to think of it. Really enjoying it!

Also, Dirt 2 was a blast as well, I remember enjoying it more than any others in the series (sans Rally).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GRID 2 is the greatest racing game of all time. I'm currently on the last "Season" of the career mode and holy fucking shit what a rush you get from driving the fastest cars in the game against the most BRUTAL AI cars you'll ever face in any racing game. It's crazy fun like Shaneus said! The graphics are sublime, the sense of speed is nuts, and the handling is GODLIKE(think Daytona USA/Ridge Racers)!!!!!

You guys really REALLY should play Grid 2. The game got way more hate than it deserves. I haven't played GAS yet but I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as Grid 2.

Invis

Is the G27 still considered a go-to cheap wheel? I'm looking into getting a wheel, shifter, and pedals, but honestly don't have $400 or more to spend.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Very much appreciated.

I remember liking GRID 1, so maybe another one of those would be a good place to start. And there's a GRID 2 demo! (Remember demos?!). The eye candy of Project CARS has also got me really interested. I don't mind jumping into something more sim'y. Might check out some of these F2P options as well.

My Steam wishlist is now more padded!

TJP

I've previously been a console-only racing fan, and just built a baller gaming PC. Am wondering if there is a consensus on what might would be the best first game purchase. I'll probably be using a PS4 or 360 controller - no wheel, and have no interest in F1/Bikes/Nascar.

On consoles, I have previously adored:

Ferarri F355 Challenge
NFS: Underground
Burnout: Paradise
PGR 3
PGR 4
Drive Club

So basically, leaning a bit more toward sim, but arcadey leanings are OK too. No real preference on open world or select-a-track mode. Graphical showpiece is a plus, and I love a great detailed interior cockpit view.
Burnout Paradise is available for PC without the major DLC pack although a third party mod is available. The last two NFS games had mods for internal cockpit mods (no idea about the very latest version)

I see a few people have mentioned Grid 2 (which gave me a PGR vibe), Dirt 3 and Grid Autosport which is my personal pick as it's basically a sim-light racer with all the tricks of the EGO engine has.

pCARS has lots of eye candy as does Assetto Corsa and with aids, both can be on the casual side to drive if that's what you're looking for. Also consider the two lead up games to pCARS - NFS Shift and Shift Unleashed as both games look much like pCARS does albeit with an older version of the graphical engine and a very different physics engine and approach.

You guys really REALLY should play Grid 2. The game got way more hate than it deserves. I haven't played GAS yet but I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as Grid 2.
I agree! Grid 2 was great despite the lack of cockpit view. Autosport is really solid and well worth getting.

Is the G27 still considered a go-to cheap wheel? I'm looking into getting a wheel, shifter, and pedals, but honestly don't have $400 or more to spend.
G27 or G29 is a solid pick IMO. The wheel is criticised for its force feedback when compared to its more expensive competition (e.g. Thrustmaster's T300 & T500, any direct drive wheel and the Fanatec range) howver most dev's use the G series wheels as their default as it's the most widely used, end users have good support from Logitech and the after sales care/warranty is amongst the best around.

vanty

Don't those GRID games have the cars rotating from the centre instead of turning from the front wheels or something?

Mascot

My overwhelming memory of Grid 2 was the unpredictable digital-snap oversteer. I loved the AI in that game but the joypad controls just felt all kinds of wrong.

GRID 2 is the greatest racing game of all time.
Mario Kart Super Circuit

Don't those GRID games have the cars rotating from the centre instead of turning from the front wheels or something?
That's certainly what it feels like. They also appear to be in fast forward all the time (see Makikou's link). PS3/360 vibes, but still fun, and run super smooth on a modern PC.

MikeOfAllTrades - my vote goes to Project CARS.

That's certainly what it feels like. They also appear to be in fast forward all the time (see Makikou's link). PS3/360 vibes, but still fun, and run super smooth on a modern PC.
I remember my Brands Hatch time in GRID 2 was 1:21 ...in a Hyundai Genesis (1:33 in a Pagani Huayra in Assetto Corsa). But it's super fun and not in the uncanny vally where Driveclub's handling is for me ("the graphcs, sounds and even car data are realistic, this should not handle like this").
And agreed the AI was really good, my only gripe with it was the adaptive difficulty part of it that blended over into the next higher settings (I had to turn th difficulty down twice over the course of the career beacause the AI got better and better).

Mascot

And agreed the AI was really good, my only gripe with it was the adaptive difficulty part of it that blended over into the next higher settings (I had to turn th difficulty down twice over the course of the career beacause the AI got better and better).

The best bit about the AI was their ability to believably fuck up. You rarely get AI in other driving games overcooking corners and spinning out or braking too late and fishtailing like they do in Grid. There was a real wow moment for me in the first title where I was following an AI at speed late in a race. He had a blowout in a puff of smoke and lost control, hitting the armco and bouncing across the track where he hit the opposite barrier, flipped, and barrel rolled down the track with the doors hanging open and debris flying off the car. That was, is, and always will be a fucking awesome thing to behold. I'd love to see more stuff like this in sims.

DD

Yeah, Grid 2 was fun, and contrary to our friends here, with all due respect, I don't recommend Project Cars, not just because of the tons of problems it has, but also because you seem to want arcadey stuff, Mike, and Pcars is far from that. It might not be the best sim out there, but it surely tries to. And since you'll be playing with a pad, it will be even more frustrating. =P

Shawsie64

Banned
Thanks for the Rfactor tips guys.. as for project cars, without going into detail about the simulation aspects of it, I can say its frustrating to use the a gamepads. Tried playing it on my projector a few times with a pad and its very finicky.

DD

Thanks for the Rfactor tips guys.. as for project cars, without going into detail about the simulation aspects of it, I can say its frustrating to use the a gamepads. Tried playing it on my projector a few times with a pad and its very finicky.

Just to add a little bit before he goes "oh, I've played the X sim and it was fine with a pad, so I guess I can play Pcars with a pad just fine". The controller setup out of the box is bloody awful, you'll spend (literally) hours trying to find a good setup, or you can look on the internet for someone's settings, but even if you find something that you feel comfortable with, you'll still feel the need to mess with it when moving from car to car.

Go with Codemasters games, Mike, except for Dirt Rally (that game is brutal), and you'll be fine.

I revisited PCARS with a gamepad today, as I was surprised by these "crap out of the box" descriptions. I don't really see the problem... it's not as easy as something like GRID, nor should it be. But with stability control on, it seems to be pretty nicely balanced. Stick ABS and TC on, and you can really mash the brake and throttle without upsetting the car too much, yet it still allows plenty of slip and doesn't feel like the engine bogs down excessively. I tried a bunch of different cars and it seemed totally fine. Some of the very fast stuff is twitchy, but that can be resolved with a small increase in the speed sensitivity slider.

I tried being heavy-handed with my inputs, driving aggressively, and it was dealing with most of it very well...

Bravoexo

Especially with controller input mode 1 or 2, pCars is gonna be a handful with a Xbox One controller. But input mode 3 and / or a stiffer stick like on a 360 controller, Gt cars are gonna be a bit more slick to use. I do find that pCars BMW M3 GT2 are the best handling ones, edges out Forza 6's model, but has some unbalanced ones unfortunately, the the corvettes or even some gt86s. But thats just me i guess.

terrible

Banned
If you're super smooth pCARS is solid with a controller. It really helps if you have something like these FPS Freeks since it makes it way easier to make small adjustments.

CAM00056.jpg

With Forza when you move the joystick fully to the left or right I don't think the game actually acts like you're trying to go full lock instantly like it does in pCARS. That's the biggest difference. You have to be careful in pCARS or you'll get yourself into a pretty dangerous tank slapper.

Effect

For those interested Project Cars is on sale at GreenManGaming for their summer sale. When you are logged in the game of the year edition comes to $22 and change.

Decide to finally pick it up before it was to late. At that price it's a steal I think and this way I can't really return it like I did the last time. If I don't like it ultimately I'm only out 20 dollars for the most part.

Patrick S.

Banned
For those interesting Project Cars is on sale at GreenManGaming for their summer sale. When you are logged in the game of the year edition comes to $22 and change.

Decide to finally pick it up before it was to late. At that price it's a steal I think and this way I can't really return it like I did the last time. If I don't like it ultimately I'm only out 20 dollars for the most part.

I just spent another hour on the Nordschleife in the E30 M3. The fun I had in that hour alone would be worth €20 to me.

Also the AI in Assetto Corsa is REALLY much improved now. Before I was playing pCARS, I spent like an hour in AC at Vallelunga, with 19 AI cars on track, and during free practice no car crashed into me, but during the race a car crashed into me because I didn't give it enough space, but the AI didn't keep turning into me trying to run me off track, like it would invariably do before, but backed off and out of the danger, which was a very pleasant surprise. Well done, Kunos.

Mascot

Did anyone ever get to the truth about the EA/Porsche circlejerk, specifically if it expires, and exactly when? I can't believe in the internet age that this little deal remains shrouded in so much mystery.

Especially with controller input mode 1 or 2, pCars is gonna be a handful with a Xbox One controller. But input mode 3 and / or a stiffer stick like on a 360 controller, Gt cars are gonna be a bit more slick to use. I do find that pCars BMW M3 GT2 are the best handling ones, edges out Forza 6's model, but has some unbalanced ones unfortunately, the the corvettes or even some gt86s. But thats just me i guess.
Input mode 3 is the default.

If you're super smooth pCARS is solid with a controller. It really helps if you have something like these FPS Freeks since it makes it way easier to make small adjustments.

CAM00056.jpg

With Forza when you move the joystick fully to the left or right I don't think the game actually acts like you're trying to go full lock instantly like it does in pCARS. That's the biggest difference. You have to be careful in pCARS or you'll get yourself into a pretty dangerous tank slapper.
I don't agree. I just did a session where I was deliberately smashing the stick left and right rapidly and it didn't upset the car at all. It does not immediately go full lock, there is a filter that increases with speed (default setting of 65 speed sensitivity).

Did anyone ever get to the truth about the EA/Porsche circlejerk, specifically if it expires, and exactly when? I can't believe in the internet age that this little deal remains shrouded in so much mystery.
I don't think it's that unusual. I can't think of another example of a licence where the conditions were public knowledge.

terrible

Banned
I don't agree. I just did a session where I was deliberately smashing the stick left and right rapidly and it didn't upset the car at all. It does not immediately go full lock, there is a filter that increases with speed (default setting of 65 speed sensitivity).

I've been using a wheel for long enough that I was wondering if maybe they changed things in a patch so I tried it myself just now. KTM X-Bow on the Nurburgring GP.

What I said is still true for me. If I tap the joystick fully to the left or right for just a split second at speed I get into all kinds of trouble. Either a tank slapper I can barely recover from or I go into an unrecoverable slide, depends on the speed I'm going when I try it. I booted up Forza 6 and did the same thing with the same car and track and the car just slightly turns when I tap the joystick fully to one side at speed.

This is with no assists BTW. I guess you can get the game to behave differently if it's not doing that with you but my controls as they are now took me hours to refine and are perfect for how I play. I just never fully move the joystick left or right except at slow speeds. This is why so many people say you need to tweak the controls a lot before you get them how you like them I suppose.

Shaneus

For those interested Project Cars is on sale at GreenManGaming for their summer sale. When you are logged in the game of the year edition comes to $22 and change.

Fuck. Can't believe I'm rethinking buying it, despite it being a right cunt to get running at 60fps (actually, that never happened).

Shaneus

Bear in mind that you can only request a Steam refund once per game.

I wish I could gift you my copy of pCars, it's barely used.
I know, and of course you can't refund a game you buy elsewhere (like GMG). It's my inner Steam Sale self kicking in, wanting to jump on a bargain despite knowing it didn't play well with my system. Appreciate the offer though :)

Will probably get more value out of the red pack in AC than anything pCARS. Thankfully have about $7 of credit from selling those useless achievement card things.

DD

I know, and of course you can't refund a game you buy elsewhere (like GMG). It's my inner Steam Sale self kicking in, wanting to jump on a bargain despite knowing it didn't play well with my system. Appreciate the offer though :)

Will probably get more value out of the red pack in AC than anything pCARS. Thankfully have about $7 of credit from selling those useless achievement card things.

What are you looking for in a sim, Shans?

I've been using a wheel for long enough that I was wondering if maybe they changed things in a patch so I tried it myself just now. KTM X-Bow on the Nurburgring GP.

What I said is still true for me. If I tap the joystick fully to the left or right for just a split second at speed I get into all kinds of trouble. Either a tank slapper I can barely recover from or I go into an unrecoverable slide, depends on the speed I'm going when I try it. I booted up Forza 6 and did the same thing with the same car and track and the car just slightly turns when I tap the joystick fully to one side at speed.

This is with no assists BTW. I guess you can get the game to behave differently if it's not doing that with you but my controls as they are now took me hours to refine and are perfect for how I play. I just never fully move the joystick left or right except at slow speeds. This is why so many people say you need to tweak the controls a lot before you get them how you like them I suppose.
But I'm only talking about default controls. If you've changed them so that the steering input is very direct at speed, then I don't understand your comparison. By default, both PCARS and Forza 6 only slightly turn when you tap the joystick to one side at speed.

terrible

Banned
But I'm only talking about default controls. If you've changed them so that the steering input is very direct at speed, then I don't understand your comparison. By default, both PCARS and Forza 6 only slightly turn when you tap the joystick to one side at speed.

That's just how I thought it always was since that was my experience with it. Maybe they changed the default controls from the last time I played with them.

Shaneus

What are you looking for in a sim, Shans?
Ugh, I don't really know. AMS handling, AC graphics and a basic PGR4-style career mode (which pCARS kind of did, but the implementation felt clunky and hard to navigate).

I'm fickle :(

Looking forward to the F1 2016 career mode, though. Codies seem to be okay with that, when they actually want to implement it.

DD

Ugh, I don't really know. AMS handling, AC graphics and a basic PGR4-style career mode (which pCARS kind of did, but the implementation felt clunky and hard to navigate).

I'm fickle :(

Looking forward to the F1 2016 career mode, though. Codies seem to be okay with that, when they actually want to implement it.

Hmm, I would recommend RaceRoom. I used to hate myself for playing this game, but it actually got good after some years of development. It has a really nice handling model, simple but good enough graphics, decent AI, but it doesn't have a career mode. But you can make a championship as long as you want and set some rules. Their price model is terrible tho.

EDIT: and it really doesn't require a powerful system, even if you set huge grids.

EDIT 2: forgot to say that their colisions physics is completely retarded. Anoying, but not so much if you're a clean racer.

Hmm, I would recommend RaceRoom. I used to hate myself for playing this game, but it actually got good after some years of development. It has a really nice handling model, simple but good enough graphics, decent AI, but it doesn't have a career mode. But you can make a championship as long as you want and set some rules.
I'd say it's more complex than Project CARS' and Assetto Corsa's and similarly complex as what Reiza did with ISI's engine. "simple" sounds like you're describing a Shift or GRID game. I wouldn't even call GT's or Forza's handling simple.

DD

I'd say it's more complex than Project CARS' and Assetto Corsa's and similarly complex as what Reiza did with ISI's engine. "simple" sounds like you're describing a Shift or GRID game. I wouldn't even call GT's or Forza's handling simple.

Simple but good graphics. :p

TJP

Hmm, I would recommend RaceRoom. I used to hate myself for playing this game, but it actually got good after some years of development. It has a really nice handling model, simple but good enough graphics, decent AI, but it doesn't have a career mode. But you can make a championship as long as you want and set some rules. Their price model is terrible tho.
Thanks ;)

The physics have come a very long way from where the title started; the fellow responsible for the original concept works on the WRC games whereas the current dev's are all 'hardcore' sim racing people.

It helps too that the owner of Sector 3 realised after a few years that making a sim-light product when your back catalog of releases are considered by many to be 'proper' sims isn't the best strategy.

EDIT: and it really doesn't require a powerful system, even if you set huge grids.
It is all part of the balance Sector 3 was looking for the with their RendR graphics engine ;) Most people don't realise the in-game cars are made up of more polygons that a certain racer from Microsoft which has made its way onto the PC...

EDIT 2: forgot to say that their colisions physics is completely retarded. Anoying, but not so much if you're a clean racer.
Like the AI, the collision modelling remains a WIP and the dev's all know there is work to be done.

DD

It is all part of the balance Sector 3 was looking for the with their RendR graphics engine ;) Most people don't realise the in-game cars are made up of more polygons that a certain racer from Microsoft which has made its way onto the PC...
Yeah, the cars are really well made!

Like the AI, the collision modelling remains a WIP and the dev's all know there is work to be done.
Amen, brother!

TJP

Looking good...

Praga R1 Teasers:
bsimracing said:
The Praga R1 is powered by a RenaultSport derived 2.0L 4-cylinder engine delivering 210 hp to the rear wheels via a Hewland JFR, sequential six-speed transmission. Weighing only 572kg, the R1 has a power to weight ratio of 356 hp/ton. Besides the R1, Praga also developed the Praga R1S delivering 235bhp and the Praga R1T which is powered by a Renault F4R 832 Turbo engine that pumps out 340bhp.
Refer to: http://www.bsimracing.com/assetto-corsa-first-praga-r1-teasers/

DRM revival mod video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5iFd8u7HNo

Shaneus

And Raceroom comes with one or two things bundled for free, yes?

It's a shame their pricing model isn't all that great, otherwise I probably would've jumped in much earlier.

Has there been any news from Kunos on the development of the Toyota TS040 and the Audi R18 e-tron? It's been a while since they announced the licenses and that work was underway.

Kunos' take on the SF-15T blew me away, so I'm dying to see them work their magic on the hybrid P1s.

DD

And Raceroom comes with one or two things bundled for free, yes?

It's a shame their pricing model isn't all that great, otherwise I probably would've jumped in much earlier.

Go to their website, click on "store" and then on the top menu click over the words (don't scroll down the menus, just click on the words) "Cars" and "Tracks". Doing this, the store will show you all the cars and tracks. Go to the bottom of the page where you'll see the stuff labeled as free. There are three tracks and eleven free cars.

TJP

Has there been any news from Kunos on the development of the Toyota TS040 and the Audi R18 e-tron? It's been a while since they announced the licenses and that work was underway.

Kunos' take on the SF-15T blew me away, so I'm dying to see them work their magic on the hybrid P1s.
I can't wait to see the results too. Despite missing some of the 'standard' features often found in racing sims, Kunos have 4WD and hybrid systems down pretty damn well (as far as a hack and minor modder like me can tell).

We are still waiting for hybrid features to appear in rF2 (as well as updated 4WD functions) hence why the URD mods such as their PX are released for AC far quicker and more regularly. Still love rF2 though 😍

I can't wait to see the results too. Despite missing some of the 'standard' features often found in racing sims, Kunos have 4WD and hybrid systems down pretty damn well (as far as a hack and minor modder like me can tell).

They are really the only ones that bother with stuff like complicated AWD (as in dynamically computer adjusted), rear wheel steering or automatic brake bias control. Probably because it's mostly used in road going cars only and the manufacturers don't give out data about how those systems work. The ABS and traction control are also individual for every car in AC.
I always wished for modern electronic aids like that in Forza or GT. Both have claimed to simulate torque vectoring, but I never could feel a sign that they actually do. Haven't even spotted a sign of electronic differentials in those games.

Stefano from Kunos said that he was investigating dampers on the last youtube stream to get rid of "fast bump" with its timing based threshold values that are basically still of an either-or design. That plus the new awd2 controller input options and the upcoming release of the Ferrari 488GTB (the real thing uses Side Slip Angle Control) makes me think that they are building computer adjusted suspension systems next.

I really miss Assetto Corsa. Since updating to Windows 10, it never worked for me anymore. Tried a bunch of reinstalls, but nothing. Goes fine in the menus, never loads the race.

I don't even know what to ask to solve this, so i'll probably just have to wait until my new PC is built, maybe by december.

Does the leaderboard app still works fine? Loved doing hotlaps...

VVV Mars VG

I really miss Assetto Corsa. Since updating to Windows 10, it never worked for me anymore. Tried a bunch of reinstalls, but nothing. Goes fine in the menus, never loads the race.

I don't even know what to ask to solve this, so i'll probably just have to wait until my new PC is built, maybe by december.

Does the leaderboard app still works fine? Loved doing hotlaps...

I had that problem, its the screen resolution setting. Go into your options and check that its set correctly.

Top Bottom