• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

malyce

Great update. GT3 should be fun this season with the new tire model. No more flat out qualifying laps for the whole race, and no more just adding fuel to quali setups and hopping into a race. Smoother driving styles will be rewarded which should make for interesting races and allow for race strategy to be more of a factor. It's also a bit more tricky to get the throttle down on cold tires, so the first laps are gonna require a bit more cautious driving.

Gonna pick up the Donnington this week, since its probably on every schedule this season.

The Lotus 49 is the most ridiculous, it currently has even more grip than the one in AC. Full throttle everywhere! However, I believe they are aware and making some adjustments on Monday.

Star Mazda is a big improvement, it's no longer the silly drift monster it became when they gave it NTMv5 last season. SRF is also better, back to having a more scary rear, which is nice.

The best thing to come from this tyre update? The Ruf RWD is now actually driveable. Great fun!

I just bought the Lotus 79. Only had a very brief blast but it seems very promising.

Supposedly the 12C GT3 is now competitive, so I'm tempted to give the GT3 series a go this time. However it doesn't feel as nice to me as it did last season, which is why I became interested in participating in the first place...

Oh, nice. I always said I'd buy the L79 as soon as it went NTM, and my intention this week was to buy it. The Indy Car hype got to me though! Glad to hear you're impressed with it however. I'll definitely pick it up at some point.

Yeah there seems to be plenty of praise for the DW12, might have to pick it up. I've never followed Indy so the car is a mystery to me.

It's that time again...

The Week 13 Skippy Big Grid starts in 15 mins or so. Live coverage/commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJ8qzerTFM

New build that I'm not getting on with, never been to this track either so I have no idea where I've qualified. Yeah yeah, all the excuses. ;)

Car #212 if you want to follow my progress/failure.

I'd say there is a high possibility of this being a bit of a wreck fest.

[edit] hmmm... looks like there was a mix up with the coverage. Boo. Well I had a pretty good race anyway, came 6th.

Yeah there seems to be plenty of praise for the DW12, might have to pick it up. I've never followed Indy so the car is a mystery to me.

It's that time again...

The Week 13 Skippy Big Grid starts in 15 mins or so. Live coverage/commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJ8qzerTFM

New build that I'm not getting on with, never been to this track either so I have no idea where I've qualified. Yeah yeah, all the excuses. ;)

Car #212 if you want to follow my progress/failure.

I'd say there is a high possibility of this being a bit of a wreck fest.

RE: DW12 - It's got more downforce than a car of it's power/weight/tire should probably have. In turn, it always feels like it's asking for more speed. That's what makes it so fun. It eggs you on instead of threatening to bite your head off.

I'm sure I missed your race, but hopefully they cached it so I can watch some of it later.

10.xx second lap times at South Boston with the short oval aero kit on. You can do 80 of these in 15 minutes :0

idab5Mo0x2OuG.gif

"Smooth road course setup" doesn't like this curb at Rd. ATL. You're absolutely flying here in this car.

Dave_6

10.xx second lap times at South Boston with the short oval aero kit on. You can do 80 of these in 15 minutes :0

"Smooth road course setup" doesn't like this curb at Rd. ATL. You're absolutely flying here in this car.

Man that looks good! iRacing right? I need to get into that if so.

Indeed. Despite its aging graphics engine, iRacing can look really good at times. The image quality in particular is excellent, presumably because the renderer is not particularly complex. The fidelity is achieved entirely from superbly detailed assets rather than sophisticated effects, particularly on the most recent track and vehicle additions to the service - they've really stepped up the modelling quality. It also helps to have a solid physics engine and a comprehensive camera system so that the movement of the cars and the camera tracking in replays looks very believable. A DX11 upgrade is in the works, but I'm not holding my breath.

fresquito

I, at last, I've made uo my mind and want to start doing my own setups but I need some help. Can anybody point me a good beginners guide for car setups?

The second big race of Week 13 for me, this time in the Spec Racer Ford. This one actually got a broadcast, didn't have time to post the link live, but it's all saved here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmMW9ez2TXE

Race starts at about 14 mins in. I'm #212, sporting a GAF colour scheme as usual. Let's just say... I had an eventful race. :)

NOOOOO!! That was a heck of an effort however. Great driving, great racing.

Single screen user by any chance?

That's certainly true, but in this case it was mostly due to understeering like mad taking an unusual line into the S's. But I do end up leaving more space than necessary a lot of the time, particularly in cars I don't drive regularly. It's tough to get my spatial awareness tuned-in with a single screen. Plus the last thing I wanted to do was take out the event organiser! :)

The second big race of Week 13 for me, this time in the Spec Racer Ford. This one actually got a broadcast, didn't have time to post the link live, but it's all saved here:

Race starts at about 14 mins in. I'm #212, sporting a GAF colour scheme as usual. Let's just say... I had an eventful race. :)
If it weren't for the blocky helmet texture, I'd have been fooled into thinking the in car shot at around 20:25 was real life. As mentioned above, iRacing can look pretty damn good.

vj0fwVS.png

Yes I am, how can you tell?

Your racecraft has some of the same traits as mine.

It's the inability to take all the road you're being given because you don't have solid knowledge of other people's whereabouts and trajectories. Read; you give people too much room, and it makes it overly difficult to pass and defend.

You've clearly got a lot of skill. I think some more screen real estate would take your results to an even higher level. You have three screens, you make that pass. Maybe even several laps prior because you're no longer taking the widest line possible around T1.

TJP

Man, I am loving Race 07 in its many incarnations. 60 fps on max settings and a full grid on my clockwork laptop. Awesome physics, fantastic buttkicker-friendly audio, and billions of tracks. This will keep me going for quite some time.
Good stuff. If you like Race, you'll enjoy GT Legends and GTR 2 as well.

A repository of mods for you to view at your lesure: ftp://87.229.14.12/hsw/ - click on the applicable sim folder and take a look ;)

Mascot

Good stuff. If you like Race, you'll enjoy GT Legends and GTR 2 as well.

A repository of mods for you to view at your lesure: ftp://87.229.14.12/hsw/ - click on the applicable sim folder and take a look ;)

Cool! Thanks a lot. Hotlapping the 3.0 CSL in this game with volume at window-shaking levels and the Buttkicker turned up to eleven is just unbridled nirvana. I need to sort out the FFB with this game though. Can't seem to get much of it at all.

And while I'm here, check out this DIT wooden cockpit. It truly is a thing of absolute beauty.

AlmostComplete_zpse5919a52.jpg

RightSeatDone1_zpsdc81ee3b.jpg

LeatherCovered_zps13d354fb.jpg

FinalDash4_zpse50e0757.jpg

Business

It's an ASUS ultrawide. Not sure of the size.

Not impressed with the rig then?

Absolutely beautiful rig. I agree the screen seems like the weakest point (along with the gearbox in the 'wrong' side of the wheel ;)), but then again VR is almost here, so massive screens or 3-screen setups won't matter as much.

Cool! Thanks a lot. Hotlapping the 3.0 CSL in this game with volume at window-shaking levels and the Buttkicker turned up to eleven is just unbridled nirvana. I need to sort out the FFB with this game though. Can't seem to get much of it at all.

Did you ever update your wheel's firmware?

There's also PS3/Logitech mode, you may find it feels different to Fanatec's but you may have to reverse the force feedback in some sims if the wheel feels like it pulls to one side instead of sitting tight at the centre position.

Mascot

Did you ever update your wheel's firmware?

I didn't in the end because I sorted the original issue. Is it worth doing?

There's also PS3/Logitech mode, you may find it feels different to Fanatec's but you may have to reverse the force feedback in some sims if the wheel feels like it pulls to one side instead of sitting tight at the centre position.

Ah, shall give that a try. Cheers matey.

I didn't in the end because I sorted the original issue. Is it worth doing?

Yeah it only takes a couple of minutes and the old firmware revisions are still around should you not like it.

iirc some settings like damper couldn't be turned off properly under the old firmware, There's some cool shit like Fanaleds that didn't work on the old firmware too.

It's a nice programme if you like having less HUD cluttering up the screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

that was great to watch - the duelling through the esses was fantastic. Nice livery too :)

only thing that distracts with the in-car camera is how the helmet movement seems linked directly to the steering input. Looks quite wooden in motion.

markao

Not to much news about it yet, but according one of the SimBin employees Facebook's post, the studio is no more :(

My current employer, SimBin Studios AB, has gone bancrupt! I am therefore looking for new opportunities. Feel free to contact me if you know of anything that could match my profile:

It looks like RRE is still going to be supported, so I assume some part of the company will (hopefully) continue/restart under new name.

- srvn.nl (Dutch simracing site was the source)

Your racecraft has some of the same traits as mine.

It's the inability to take all the road you're being given because you don't have solid knowledge of other people's whereabouts and trajectories. Read; you give people too much room, and it makes it overly difficult to pass and defend.

You've clearly got a lot of skill. I think some more screen real estate would take your results to an even higher level. You have three screens, you make that pass. Maybe even several laps prior because you're no longer taking the widest line possible around T1.
You're right, although I've reached the point in the Skip (my usual car) where it is less of a problem and I'm able to push closer. This is a combination of a lot of 'seat time' and because I'm often racing the same people and I have the confidence to go tighter with them. However there is always a moment where I'm not 100% sure where the other car is and I'm relying on audio and instinct.

But this just turned up so I have no excuses now ;)

yeas1xxreu.jpg

And while I'm here, check out this DIT wooden cockpit. It truly is a thing of absolute beauty.
Wow! I've been working my way through all this photos of the build. That is superb.

that was great to watch - the duelling through the esses was fantastic. Nice livery too :)

only thing that distracts with the in-car camera is how the helmet movement seems linked directly to the steering input. Looks quite wooden in motion.
Yeah. Doesn't help that they use the low LOD version of the steering wheel from that view (weird because it doesn't happen in the other cars), and the fact that the inputs from other drivers are fairly low-fidelity (for connection efficiency) so the steering is extra jerky. It looks smoother if you watch your own replay from this view, but the head is still attached to the steering animation. There's not any separate driver movement either, which is something they need to improve.

There was recent comparison vid of PCARS vs reality, and it's the same deal - head animation linked to steering and no body movement. If they could animate the body separately you'd really start to struggle to tell them apart :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTrwsokoNXg
Not to much news about it yet, but according one of the SimBin employees Facebook's post, the studio is no more :(

It looks like RRE is still going to be supported, so I assume some part of the company will (hopefully) continue/restart under new name.

Damn, I had a feeling things weren't going so well. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Holy crap. Terrible news indeed. Hopefully it just ends up morphing as you mentioned.

Paz, I want a full report on my desk pronto!

If it's genuinely suitable to race with, I'm going to order myself one.

Krejlooc

Banned
Snapped this pic last night, obviously before any serious work has been done:

n0bxb7W.jpg

Just got through a couple of days of sanding and painting my wood for the platform and all that, next step is to mount the seat and install the transducer. I've ordered a black seat cover to make the seat not stand out.

I'm not sure when I'll begin building the hydraulic portion of the rig, probably not for a month or so.

EDIT: That wooden cockpit above is amazing! What beautiful wood work.

Mascot

Man, that truly does suck big greasy goat balls. I enjoyed Race Pro on the 360 but am only this week starting to appreciate their stellar work on Race '07, GTR and all the various expansions.

Wow! I've been working my way through all this photos of the build. That is superb.

Yeah, I skimmed through the whole thread earlier but I'm going to re-read it in detail. I love projects like that, and need to start something similar when I have a decent window of time. I've spent whole days browsing TWIP.

Oh wow I had no idea.

I'd like to know if the screen door effect is an issue at that resolution before deciding.
Not had the chance to try mine yet (and tbh there isn't much to go on yet, the SDK is very new), but no doubt there will still be an element of screen door - it is generally accepted that 1080p wasn't really going to be enough to resolve this. Whether it is an 'issue' I think will vary by the user, and by the application. In the case of sims, I think it could still be a problem as you tend to look fairly far down the road - I found DK1 to be basically unusable, as the stuff in that middle distance that I rely on for braking points was made of so few pixels. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I skimmed through the whole thread earlier but I'm going to re-read it in detail. I love projects like that, and need to start something similar when I have a decent window of time. I've spent whole days browsing TWIP.
I'd love to do the same, but I don't have the tools! Something far less elegant from tubing or 80/20 is probably more realistic for me.

Nice Pazu! Would love to hear your iRacing impressions with it.
They will be forthcoming, apparently it works without headtracking already so I'm tempted to try it while keeping my head absolutely still... but zero head tracking is pretty much the most nausea-inducing thing you can do with a VR headset. The guy who is leading VR development at iRacing is receiving his devkit tomorrow, and he works fast. So hopefully soon!

They will be forthcoming, apparently it works without headtracking already so I'm tempted to try it while keeping my head absolutely still... but zero head tracking is pretty much the most nausea-inducing thing you can do with a VR headset. The guy who is leading VR development at iRacing is receiving his devkit tomorrow, and he works fast. So hopefully soon!

Cool, my entire future sim setup is hedging on the Oculus bet. I don't want to invest in three screens if the OR becomes the real deal with sim racing. I loved even using Track IR so I can't wait to try out something like full VR with head tracking.

markao

Jay Ekkel, SimBin, responded at Vitualr, sounds like my hope wasn't to far fedged ;)

The actual story in short is this:

"New studio, new location, new name, (almost) the same team. Be ensured that all development on the project will continue.

More interesting news to follow soon!"

We had hoped we could announce the news and the future plans ourselves, but the first half of news got out already. So some patience required as more news will come soon.

Glad they are still around, be it with a different company name.

TJP

Ah, good stuff. Too many racing devs have bitten the dust over the past few years. The Sim Bin name has an excellent rep though. I wonder why they feel the need to change?
Very nearly everything SimBin related is 'RaceRoom' branded; RaceRoom software, RaceRoom sim rigs, RaceRoom simulator centres and cafes, a RaceRoom controller & RaceRoom clothing - perhaps the new studio will be called RaceRoom Software Development?

Empty Box drives the new iRacing build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXpLs9_eZ40

Top Bottom