• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Mascot

OK, I've determined I'm getting zero FFB on any of the Sim Bim titles. What I thought might be very weak effects was really the buttkicker and Clubsport braking rumble.
I've tried adjusting all sorts of settings in-sim and on the wheel itself (apart from updating the firmware) but can't seem to get anything at all with Race 07, GTR, Race Room etc.

In Assetto Corsa and Live For Speed (PC), FM4 (360) and GT6 (PS3) the effects are all present and correct.

Wheel is a Fanatec GT2.

Halp!

TJP

More news from Reiza Studios regarding the free update to version 1.20:

"We have been observing a lot of understandable anxiety regarding the release of GSCE v1.20, so we feel it would help if we clarify the reasons for these delays and what the situation is now.

As you probably know, along with all the new cars and tracks we have also been developing several new functionalities for GSCE - these involve some heavy-duty programming, and that side of things has been concentrated on the hands of one very special guy. Unfortunately this very special guy has had a serious run of bad luck over the last 2-3 months, which have meant we have been effectively 2 weeks worth of coding work away from having all the necessary v1.20 functionalities in beta state throughout this time.

This predicament has not only kept us stuck during this time, but also prevented us from making any realistic prediction as to when we´d effectively be done with v1.20.

The good news is that "the man" has been back in full force so we´re effectively running through those remaining 2 weeks of development since last week, and everything is pretty far along now.

We fully understand the anxiety - rest assured no one is more anxious to get this out than ourselves"

I decided to dive in. I loaded an old replay on iRacing and ran it through DK2 while keeping my head still. I don't think it's using all the screen, as the square edge that is more apparent compared to DK1 was even more obvious than normal... but despite this.... holy moly, it looks incredible. o_O

It seems like it should be good enough to use for competitive driving now, I'm pretty sure of that. The image quality is surprisingly good, dare I say almost... sharp? I wasn't expecting it to be quite at this level yet. Where DK1 made iRacing look a mess in almost every area, DK2 is making it look pretty detailed and stunning in motion. I could tell immediately that this screen is so much better than my monitor for motion (not that difficult as it's a Dell S-PVA, not some ultra TN gaming panel), unlike the DK1 which was so much worse in every way. Obviously it's still blurry compared to a monitor, but I think iRacing must have implemented some pretty awesome optimisation over the course of DK1's life for maximising image quality, by downsampling or applying masses of AA or something, because it's so clean, not the jaggy mess I remember at all. I guess the best way I can describe it is like watching high quality race footage on a really good CRT TV.

Even the wing mirrors have just about enough fidelity to be useful, which I wasn't expecting. Aw yiss.

Attempted video to follow...

Oh man, that's so encouraging. There's definitely a level of fidelity that needs to be reached before you can rely on it in that kind of environment. If you think it might be there, then that is awfully, awfully cool. I can live with blurry and ugly, it's got to be usable however.

Any sense of how quickly they can patch DK2 in?

Those blacks look amazing in your video. Chromatic abs, not so much :)

Can't wait to hear more when the patches start rolling in.

Mascot

Sadly not, but thanks again. There seems to be a fundamental problem that's stopping me getting any FFB in SimBin titles. I'll try updating the firmware on the wheel but failing that, maybe reinstall the games? It's odd that it affects several games though.

One other thought: I'll try using one of the other five preset slots on the wheel itself. There might be a problem with one of the slots.

Wow, that's a lot better than I imagined after reading the DK2 thread, especially considering it's:

- Recorded with a phone
- with questionable auto-focus
- at 720p
- at 30fps
- through the slightly greasy left lens of a DK2
- using a sim that has yet to implement DK2 support (this is basically using iRacing's DK1 settings)
- compressed by phone
- compressed again by video software
- and one more time for good measure by YouTube

Oh man, that's so encouraging. There's definitely a level of fidelity that needs to be reached before you can rely on it in that kind of environment. If you think it might be there, then that is awfully, awfully cool. I can live with blurry and ugly, it's got to be usable however.

Any sense of how quickly they can patch DK2 in?

Those blacks look amazing in your video. Chromatic abs, not so much :)

Can't wait to hear more when the patches start rolling in.
As of last night, they have a DK2. There's no ETA, but the clearest indication was when Mr Tucker was asked whether the new SDK could be implemented with the S3 Update 1 that tweaked a few things for the new build a few days ago, including the excessive grip of the Lotus 49 (which I don't believe has helped :p).

"No that release is already in testing and it is much too late to sneak in the oculus sdk. But I am downloading the new sdk right now and we will see if we can't get it up and running on a future maintenance window. When I was looking over the 0.3 sdk it did not look like a drop-in replacement from 0.2 so it may be a while for us to get it all integrated since Shawn and I have other more pressing projects right now. (yes I know, what could be more important than this )"

While it might take a bit of work, it sounds like we shouldn't have to wait for the next major build as he is already considering the idea of 'sneaking in' the update at the earliest opportunity. I wonder what these 'more pressing projects' could be...

Yeah you can get a sense of the contrast in the video from the way the camera kept adjusting itself as if it was outdoors, but not the motion clarity. I think it's the most impressive aspect of the upgrade, and really helps to compensate for the low resolution. Because it doesn't blur (aside from this 'black smear' that I didn't notice in iRacing), the picture looks very clear, despite not being crisp.

The chromatic aberration doesn't look quite right, although it's not as bad in person. Doesn't help that you're only seeing one lens, and I guess that it's also related to the DK1 settings that this is using.

Megasoum

Banned
Bt0KGT6CIAAoYuH.png:large

About damn time

TJP

Will this F1 release be another bug riddled clusterfu*k of endless patches (PC version) or will it finally be shipped in a decent state?

TJP

Reads more like a HD remake than anything else:

Hit the dirt with Colin McRae Rally, the classic off-road racing experience. From the developers of the multi-million selling franchise and based on content from the 90% Metacritic rated Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Colin McRae Rally features 30 amazing rally stages with a combined distance of over 130km.

Reads more like a HD remake than anything else:

It's definitly the Android port.

Definitely the mobile port. The description is from the app stores, too. I really can't believe that Codemasters wants 7 bucks for this. It's 2.99 on the app store and 1.99 on Google Play.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codemasters.cmrally&hl=en

Look at that beautiful HD remastered car model. Mmmmmh.

Instead they should've put the original 2.0 version on Steam for the same price. Fucking Christ.

e: And it gets praised in the thread, too. Goddamnit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865232

Megasoum

Banned
Definitely the mobile port. The description is from the app stores, too. I really can't believe that Codemasters wants 7 bucks for this. It's 2.99 on the app store and 1.99 on Google Play.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codemasters.cmrally&hl=en

Look at that beautiful HD remastered car model. Mmmmmh.

Instead they should've put the original 2.0 version on Steam for the same price. Fucking Christ.

e: And it gets praised in the thread, too. Goddamnit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865232

Yeah apparently it's all right. I'll try it out during a steam sale for sure. I would prefer OG CMR2 too but there's no way that that game runs on modern PCs

More news from Reiza Studios regarding the free update to version 1.20:

"We have been observing a lot of understandable anxiety regarding the release of GSCE v1.20, so we feel it would help if we clarify the reasons for these delays and what the situation is now.

As you probably know, along with all the new cars and tracks we have also been developing several new functionalities for GSCE - these involve some heavy-duty programming, and that side of things has been concentrated on the hands of one very special guy. Unfortunately this very special guy has had a serious run of bad luck over the last 2-3 months, which have meant we have been effectively 2 weeks worth of coding work away from having all the necessary v1.20 functionalities in beta state throughout this time.

This predicament has not only kept us stuck during this time, but also prevented us from making any realistic prediction as to when we´d effectively be done with v1.20.

The good news is that "the man" has been back in full force so we´re effectively running through those remaining 2 weeks of development since last week, and everything is pretty far along now.

We fully understand the anxiety - rest assured no one is more anxious to get this out than ourselves"

TJP, any sense of what we're talking about here? I'm just curious about which part of the operation seems to be the weak link.

TJP

TJP, any sense of what we're talking about here? I'm just curious about which part of the operation seems to be the weak link.
I honestly don't know. Someone asked a direct question to Reiza on their FB page about being reliant on one person to do the work and the response was: "it is a reasonable concern but in fact this is a reality for most independent developers, among which we absolutely we fit into. It is a very specialized type of professional".

One can only guess as to who may have been unavailable or left the small team at Reiza, causing the delay. I do know the lead vehicle modeller/designer left several months ago...perhaps this is a job for Detective Shaneus who seems to be able to track down Bizarre Creations members with aplomb; perhaps he can use his skills to find out the goss on Reiza.

I'd also like more details on the crowd funding for future GSC-E add-ons,

I honestly don't know. Someone asked a direct question to Reiza on their FB page about being reliant on one person to do the work and the response was: "it is a reasonable concern but in fact this is a reality for most independent developers, among which we absolutely we fit into. It is a very specialized type of professional".

One can only guess as to who may have been unavailable or left the small team at Reiza, causing the delay. I do know the lead vehicle modeller/designer left several months ago...perhaps this is a job for Detective Shaneus who seems to be able to track down Bizarre Creations members with aplomb; perhaps he can use his skills to find out the goss on Reiza.

I'd also like more details on the crowd funding for future GSC-E add-ons,

Hmm, interesting.

Ha! Shaneus, brush up on your Portuguese and get sleuthing!

Yeah, I'd love to know more as well. Some of it is pretty ambitious, dynamic weather and racing surfaces, feature rich tire model, etc. It all sounds wicked.

Their current problems come at kind of an inopportune time for that however. The last thing they need before asking people to front money is doubt about timely delivery.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The second big race of Week 13 for me, this time in the Spec Racer Ford. This one actually got a broadcast, didn't have time to post the link live, but it's all saved here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmMW9ez2TXE

Race starts at about 14 mins in. I'm #212, sporting a GAF colour scheme as usual. Let's just say... I had an eventful race. :)

I don't know how I ended up in this thread, but I just have to say, I love that there are virtual races with amateur announcers streaming online. Holy crap :)

I don't know how I ended up in this thread, but I just have to say, I love that there are virtual races with amateur announcers streaming online. Holy crap :)
Pretty neat eh :) The quality of the coverage can be mighty impressive - particularly at the top end - here's an example of the NASCAR-sanctioned Peak Antifreeze Series on iRacing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gghe8Jy7040

Race starts at about 14 mins in, but the build-up from the beginning of the video is quite fascinating if you like this sort of thing!

Seanspeed

Banned
Pretty neat eh :) The quality of the coverage can be mighty impressive - particularly at the top end - here's an example of the NASCAR-sanctioned Peak Antifreeze Series on iRacing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gghe8Jy7040

Race starts at about 14 mins in, but the build-up from the beginning of the video is quite fascinating if you like this sort of thing!
Watched this(I meant the Suzuka race) yesterday. Heartbreaking stuff. Didn't see what happened to you to drop back, but that was a quality battle afterwards before you completely fucking squandered it all! lol From what I drove of the Spec Ford, it was a fairly temperamental car and I can imagine it was a bitch to drive off-line through the faster sections of Suzuka, trying to hold onto position.

EDIT: Also, I seent it. ;)

Yep, was a damn shame, my battle with Kevin was just getting started when I was suddenly confronted with a back-marker who spun off at the first Degner, and had somehow rolled backwards just on the exit of the second, the very point at which the SRF is at its most unsettled. In my avoiding action I spun, which dropped me back behind Luca. The car has returned to being a little more tail happy with this new build so it was catching a lot of people out, but that's no excuse for my second off really, I was just pushing too hard to regain that podium spot. The driver who spun sent me a heartfelt apology after the race, which was nice to see.

The Skippy Week 13 race from the day before the SRF race now has video - the commentator apologised for the mix-up and provided a delayed commentary over somebody's replay file. A fine effort to keep talking over a long race with no co-commentators and trying to maintain enthusiasm when it's not live. Also there was a few technical issues with the timing overlays not playing nice with the new build. Not the most exciting of races so I'd only recommend it if you're really stuck for something to watch. :)

Ark

I stumbled into this thread earlier today and now I've resubbed to iRacing after a three-year hiatus. I stumbled across this while on trading paints, figured I'd share it because it's kinda awesome ;)

TJP

As the sun sets in Jacarepagua, still alive and well in GSC Extreme.

Edit: GSC-E track list as of today (taken from Race Department):

If Mascot is reading this; if you enjoy Race '07 and it's DLC add-ons, seriously think about buying Game Stock Car Extreme as it's even better than the Race series. As it's based on rFactor too, it's easy for older PC's to run.

bee

oh shit didn't notice this before, you can actually see where you're going! good stuff, can't see it being soon though :(

as i posted in the assetto thread, it seems like the sim with the least development by far could actually be the first one with dk2 support, good old live for speed, this was posted today

scawen said:
In LFS DK2 code, I have got a grip on all the tracking (in a separate test program). So now I need to work on the graphical side. The distortion is completely different from the old system, so I don't know how hard it will be.

I find both ways quite complicated and confusing, compared with the old system. But I am reserving judgement. Sometimes it takes a little time and sleeping to get my head around things. Let's see if I can get one of them done today....

hopefully an incoming test patch

Lach

So after registering for iRacing earlier this year I finally had some time to get into it more (with my Oculus Rift DK2 being stuck in transport). After doing a lot of practice yesterday and the day before (Mazda Cup, Summit Point) I finally decided it's time for my first race.

Got a decent lap in quali (still 2-3s slower than the fastest people out there) and went for the race. Got really lucky in the split and was on pole with a group of people that was on average at least 1s slower than me. So it was, to my surprise, a pretty easy win. Only danger came from people I had to overlap.

Second Race I started from second and had the better start than the pole guy, so I took the lead into the first corner. Was able to hold the people around 2-3s behind me but in lap 6 or 7 I made a mistake going into the second to last corner and crashed quite hard. I had to get towed, was frustrated and gave up the race...

Third Race I was again on second. I decided for the start to hold the clutch and go into first gear early. By mistake I came to the friction point and started rolling slowly. That gave me a black flag for early start. I had to go in for a stop and go penalty. In the end I still managed to finish 5th and get myself a D licence...

I think I'll try out oval racing next...

I stumbled into this thread earlier today and now I've resubbed to iRacing after a three-year hiatus. I stumbled across this while on trading paints, figured I'd share it because it's kinda awesome ;)

Only kinda?! ;-) Glad you liked it, and anyone else that may have used/faved it too. 24 people have used it since I put it up, which has really surprised me. Thanks for that.

Actually there is another, but it's unclear whether we can talk about it...

OK, what's going on here? Who's got you legally bound? Spill ze beans!

Crashing out of the lead, and botching the start - it's a rite of passage. Welcome to manhood, Lach ;-) Oval racing is terrific fun.

Haha. I think it's fairly common knowledge now that PCARS already has DK2 support, but there are mixed messages on the WMD forum as to what we're allowed to discuss elsewhere. :)

Haha. I think it's fairly common knowledge now that PCARS already has DK2 support, but there are mixed messages on the WMD forum as to what we're allowed to discuss elsewhere. :)

Ha, they are a particularly paranoid bunch over there, aren't they? Christ.

I'll settle in tonight. Again, were Evelyn's stunningly outdated misgivings evident?

;-)

Branson

So after registering for iRacing earlier this year I finally had some time to get into it more (with my Oculus Rift DK2 being stuck in transport). After doing a lot of practice yesterday and the day before (Mazda Cup, Summit Point) I finally decided it's time for my first race.

Got a decent lap in quali (still 2-3s slower than the fastest people out there) and went for the race. Got really lucky in the split and was on pole with a group of people that was on average at least 1s slower than me. So it was, to my surprise, a pretty easy win. Only danger came from people I had to overlap.

Second Race I started from second and had the better start than the pole guy, so I took the lead into the first corner. Was able to hold the people around 2-3s behind me but in lap 6 or 7 I made a mistake going into the second to last corner and crashed quite hard. I had to get towed, was frustrated and gave up the race...

Third Race I was again on second. I decided for the start to hold the clutch and go into first gear early. By mistake I came to the friction point and started rolling slowly. That gave me a black flag for early start. I had to go in for a stop and go penalty. In the end I still managed to finish 5th and get myself a D licence...

Yessss we need more oval talk in here.

Shaneus

Community service announcement: Colin McRae Rally "classic" has been re-released on Steam. But be wary of the comments in that article, it's just a port of the average iOS version with controller support (and enhanced visuals) added. Apparently not worth the $7AUD pricetag.

That, of a Codies' title. Who would've thought? Honestly.

On that note, anyone else surprised we haven't heard anything of F1 2014? I don't know how 2013 fared, but I'd almost be willing to give it a shot this time. Almost. Now that they have their forums back up and can't dodge support questions.

Dilly

Banned
Community service announcement: Colin McRae Rally "classic" has been re-released on Steam. But be wary of the comments in that article, it's just a port of the average iOS version with controller support (and enhanced visuals) added. Apparently not worth the $7AUD pricetag.

On that note, anyone else surprised we haven't heard anything of F1 2014? I don't know how 2013 fared, but I'd almost be willing to give it a shot this time. Almost. Now that they have their forums back up and can't dodge support questions.

There was an announcement a few days ago I think.

TJP

Do I smell a hint of sarcasm?

Regarding F1 2013, the game wasn't too bad at launch for a CM release. No real QA howlers apart from running the game at a high frame rate did cause faster laptimes to be recorded ;) Patch notes for PC (and console) can be found at Race Department here.

As noted, F1 2014 has been announced and like Grid: Autosport is releasing on the PC, Xbox 360 & PS3 only. Just like the Grid game, I'd expect the PC to be pretty well fine at launch - it'll have all the graphical bells and whistles to set it apart from the console versions and hopefully modding support. That said, I'd hold onto my cash as it looks as if support for F1 2014 will be short and sweet; the next F1 game will arrive 'early' in 2015.

Codemasters said:
2015 will see us release our first title on new-generation platforms. The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates. These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out! The game will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC

Shaneus

Do I smell a hint of sarcasm?
Hint? ;)

As noted, F1 2014 has been announced and like Grid: Autosport is releasing on the PC, Xbox 360 & PS3 only. Just like the Grid game, I'd expect the PC to be pretty well fine at launch - it'll have all the graphical bells and whistles to set it apart from the console versions and hopefully modding support. That said, I'd hold onto my cash as it looks as if support for F1 2014 will be short and sweet; the next F1 game will arrive 'early' in 2015.
Makes you wonder why they didn't do that up until now. Hopefully that doesn't mean when they release it, they'll release it a track at a time. Knowing Codies... could well mean that.

Wonder if it'll be a budget-priced title this year given next year's rebirth? Again, I doubt it... but it'd be a nice show of gratitude from Codemasters if it had, say, a $20USD launch price on PC.

Thanks for the info, lads!

Actually, thinking about it, they normally launch these around the same time that Driveclub'll be out. Guess I won't have to worry about that, then!

bee

lfs_00000006ftenh.jpg

scawen said:
Progress...

See how the outline is very different on the DK2.

I've been driving around. Still need to move the view with the position tracking data and there are quite a few loose ends to sort out.

The blue is just a debug background.

should only be a few days hopefully!

bee

scawen said:
Hoping for a test patch on Monday or Tuesday.

I'll do the positional tracking today but can't tie up all the loose ends on my list. Yesterday was a long session...

looking forward to it, lfs still drives great imo

Top Bottom