• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Mascot

DAT WHEEL! I want one!

Reminds me of the old wooden Moto Lita steering wheel in my '72 MGB.

white008.jpg

(not my image)

Shaneus

DAT WHEEL! I want one!

They make wheel adapters for the T500, but the belt drag would probably curb a wheel like that's appeal a bit. I'd want it to feel like a Super Sprint wheel with ffb.

Great video as usual from him. Very entertaining.
Oh god, I want someone to somehow do a sim-like game but with Super Sprint-styled infinite rotation and friction. Pointless, but I'd fucking love to see it.

Branson

Why didn't they finish Long Beach?
Something about current computers not being able to handle all of the track side object detail and the work needed to put into it, which got overshadowed by other features and cars and tracks. They released it as a tech track which is basically just the track surface and walls itself and weird half scan points outside the track.

Ark

So they can't do a full long beach but this is more plausible. Got it. Lol.

Do we know what the reason for not finishing Long Beach is? Is it a license issue? I've only been re-subbed for 3 days (and before that I only really played for a week, three years ago) but I'm absolutely gutted they've got Indycar but no Long Beach :(

Come on surprise Nurburgring release for iRacing! Hehe, I wish.

Edit: Fuck me, maybe it isn't a pipe dream! I can't imagine it being done by September though. :( http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.p...t-laser-scan-of-the-nuerburgring-nordschleife

"Sources inside the Nürburgring and also inside the games industry inform me that this 3D laser scanning might have been commissioned by Nürburgring themselves, with the aim of licensing an accurate "point cloud' of the track to any simulator or games developer interested."

This is what I expect to start happening. I'm kind of surprised it's taken so long for the responsibility to shift.

Why no Long Beach? Most tracks are either surrounded by trees, or nothing. Downtown Long Beach would take a ton of their very limited art team's time. Obviously leagues and hosted session can run it however.

Hi, Racing GAF. I just picked up Race 07 + GTR Evolution from Bundle Stars this weekend (they were free, so why not?). My question is, for someone who likes the middle ground between sim and arcade racers, is this worth the 14gb download? PGR4 is probably my favorite racing game, as far as I've gotten into the genre. I don't have a wheel or anything either, if that makes a difference.

DD

Hi, Racing GAF. I just picked up Race 07 + GTR Evolution from Bundle Stars this weekend (they were free, so why not?). My question is, for someone who likes the middle ground between sim and arcade racers, is this worth the 14gb download? PGR4 is probably my favorite racing game, as far as I've gotten into the genre. I don't have a wheel or anything either, if that makes a difference.

Do you have a controller? It works fine with a pad, but don't expect anything close to PGR4 in therms of gameplay. But you might enjoy if you turn some (or all) assists on.

I guess that Grid Autosport will suit you well. It's very arcadey, but less than PGR4.

Do you have a controller? It works fine with a pad, but don't expect anything close to PGR4 in therms of gameplay. But you might enjoy if you turn some (or all) assists on.

I guess that Grid Autosport will suit you well. It's very arcadey, but less than PGR4.

Thanks! I do have a controller, and would much prefer it over using the keyboard.

Grid Autosport looks fantastic! Added to wishlist.

Juicy Bob

I think you'll love it. I've played GTR Evolution with a pad before and had loads of fun.

It's not all that brutal to play, to be honest. Compared to other games, it's rather forgiving. Especially with all the assists on,

Mascot

I got these (and all the many expansions) a few weeks ago and love them all. I play with a FFB wheel and pedal set though.
Best thing about them is they run fantastically well on my clockwork laptop.

I think you'll love it. I've played GTR Evolution with a pad before and had loads of fun.

It's not all that brutal to play, to be honest. Compared to other games, it's rather forgiving. Especially with all the assists on,

I got these (and all the many expansions) a few weeks ago and love them all. I play with a FFB wheel and pedal set though.
Best thing about them is they run fantastically well on my clockwork laptop.

Definitely sounds like it's worth the download then. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

e: Oh, only ended up being < 2gb. I guess 12gb was for RaceRoom Racing Experience, which I didn't bother with =P

Mascot

I've never even tried iRacing so I may have to jump on this.

Yeah, I see the offer expires on 15th October so I'll probably activate it nearer then so the bulk of the trial is (hopefully) on the new rig.

I can then see what all the bloody fuss is about..!

:p

Does the force feedback always seem so dead?
There is a great deal of information about FFB in this thread:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2023748.page

Is rather overwhelming... but you should be able to get it feeling reasonable without following this to the letter. I certainly didn't and I'm quite happy with the FFB.

It varies a lot by car (many people like to check the 'use custom controls for this car' option to compensate for this) - the MX-5 for example is a bit muted, whereas the SRF is 'I can tell which insect I just ran over'.

JamboGT

Well in work I am using a G25 but have a T500 at home, I have only gotten a few laps in though and anything where the car started to go over the limit just went totally lifeless.

Was in the CTS-V racecar at Laguna for the few laps I put in.

All I really got to adjust was the degrees of rotation just to sharpen up the steering and upped the force feedback a little.

All I really got to adjust was the degrees of rotation just to sharpen up the steering
I wouldn't recommend doing this. Once you've set the rotation in your driver (most use 900), and gone through the iRacing calibration, you shouldn't need to touch the rotation settings. The sim automatically gives you the correct lock for each car. It is linear, and should have a realistic response to steering angle. If you adjust rotation after the iRacing calibration, you're giving yourself an artificially quicker rack (this should be clear from the on-screen steering wheel rotating faster than 1:1). AC, rF2 and PCARS deal with rotation in a similar manner. :)

Ark

Did you actually install the drivers? I completely forgot I had to install Logitech drivers for my DFGT (haven't used it in 3 years; forgot what FFB feels like) so when I started iRacing again on Friday I only had limited options, which I didn't know at the time. I picked up the RUF on Sunday after I got my Road C License and noticed the wheel for the RUF felt a bit lifeless, and then remembered I had drivers to install. Felt like a bit of an idiot :p

In somewhat related news, I ordered a set of Clubsport V2's yesterday and they've shipped today! Hopefully will be here by the end of the week :)

Well in work I am using a G25 but have a T500 at home, I have only gotten a few laps in though and anything where the car started to go over the limit just went totally lifeless.

Was in the CTS-V racecar at Laguna for the few laps I put in.

All I really got to adjust was the degrees of rotation just to sharpen up the steering and upped the force feedback a little.

As far as actual settings go, I'd use the driver settings at the top of the first post Paz linked to, and then later on in the same thread follow this guide within the sim itself.

Some cars may need a little more/less ffb strength and/or min force (I actually needed to drop to 0 minforce in the IndyCar to stop the shaking), but you should be able to get good results by following those steps.

Branson

I wouldn't recommend doing this. Once you've set the rotation in your driver (most use 900), and gone through the iRacing calibration, you shouldn't need to touch the rotation settings. The sim automatically gives you the correct lock for each car. It is linear, and should have a realistic response to steering angle. If you adjust rotation after the iRacing calibration, you're giving yourself an artificially quicker rack (this should be clear from the on-screen steering wheel rotating faster than 1:1). AC, rF2 and PCARS deal with rotation in a similar manner. :)

This needs to be a thing that catches on in every racing game. It's such a nice feature.

Shawsie64

Banned
https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202

lfs dk2 patch is live, supposed to be really good, will be the first thing i do after work tomorrow

Yeah cant wait to give this a whirl! Anyone here tried it out yet?

I gave PCars a go with the DK2 the other day but the weird non 1:1 tracking makes me feel ill.. Its in the works to be fixed though apparently. What I did gather from it though is that the DK2 is going to be AMAZING for iracing/AC/PCars.. You can see quite clearly now with the added resolution!

Shaneus

What's the resolution increase over the different Rifts? Other display tech (refresh rate etc.) improvements as well, or just resolution?

What's the resolution increase over the different Rifts? Other display tech (refresh rate etc.) improvements as well, or just resolution?

The marquee changes are the screen, and the inclusion of a positional tracking camera.

The screen is significantly different;

DK1 - 1280x800 LCD, 60Hz
DK2 -1920x1080 OLED, pentile matrix, low persistence, 75Hz

Proof's in the pudding.

Fuck, I'm a Rift nerd now that I've broken down and placed an order. That escalated quickly! I promise not to shit up the thread too bad, 2DGAF! :p

Shaneus

Wow, that's a massive difference in spec. Is that 1920x1080 across both lenses or per eye?

I know this information is probably out there somewhere, but figure it's just easier (for me ;) ) to ask!

Shawsie64

Banned
Across both lenses but the difference is night and day, not just in resolution but also in colors and clarity.. it's got a buggy SDK at the moment but when you maintains 75hz/75fps the positional tracking is god like. I was blown away.

Lach

I've had my rift now for 2 days....Elite and World of Diving (diving not driving) have been best experiences so far....Will wait for ETS2 until the weekend...

What's available at the racing front? Is iracing dk2 ready? pCars?

Shawsie64

Banned
I've had my rift now for 2 days....Elite and World of Diving (diving not driving) have been best experiences so far....Will wait for ETS2 until the weekend...

What's available at the racing front? Is iracing dk2 ready? pCars?

Live for Speed has just released a testing patch for Rift support. Pcars works but its buggy and tracking is half speed (overall a poor experience but its being fixed). No Assetto Corsa support as yet, apparently it will come after the graphics engine overhaul.

Shaneus

Across both lenses but the difference is night and day, not just in resolution but also in colors and clarity.. it's got a buggy SDK at the moment but when you maintains 75hz/75fps the positional tracking is god like. I was blown away.
Okay, that's good to know! I was more sussing it out in establishing what kind of videocard one would need to drive such a display... seems it's safe to assume that if you can play the game at 1080P@75, you're golden.

Nice.

Just wish they were at consumer level by now :/ Is it likely that spec would be what the consumer grade is whenever it gets released (assuming a good 18 months or so down the line)?

And yeah, apologies for the simple questions. I just know any OT around GAF is going to be way over my head and not worth my time.

Okay, that's good to know! I was more sussing it out in establishing what kind of videocard one would need to drive such a display... seems it's safe to assume that if you can play the game at 1080P@75, you're golden.
Not quite, you'll want a little more overhead due to the stereoscopy, essentially rendering two camera views at once. Also framerate drops below the refresh rate is very bad news in VR so you'll want to be comfortably over 75 at all times.

Is it likely that spec would be what the consumer grade is whenever it gets released (assuming a good 18 months or so down the line)?
Nope, the CV1 should be an even greater step up than the jump from DK1 to DK2. The expectation is a 2560x1440 display, and at least 90Hz refresh. The overall latency should be reduced even further, the tracking even higher quality, considerably better optics, all of which should amount to a guarantee of 'presence' for the first time. It's going to require a serious machine to run sims at high settings at the full resolution - it would be unwise to spec a system for it right now. Those sim enthusiasts who are already powering triple screens at 144Hz will probably be ok ;)

However, I suspect that a 1440p90 Rift will support 1080p75, and that 1080p75 will still be a better experience than the 1080p75 we see in DK2, so it's not essential that you have a monster PC. But if you want 'presence', you'll want to hit 1440p90. Or probably at least 1080p90 if it supports that. It's better to have a bunch of detail options turned down than to be dropping below the max refresh of the panel. Latency is king!

Shaneus

Yeah, that makes sense. I think the instance of VR (vs a flat display) framerate and latency is vastly more important than anything else.

I learnt that well enough when I went on a VR ride at Sega World in Sydney. It was fairly nausea-enducing to say the least ;)

Lach

Yeah, that makes sense. I think the instance of VR (vs a flat display) framerate and latency is vastly more important than anything else.

I learnt that well enough when I went on a VR ride at Sega World in Sydney. It was fairly nausea-enducing to say the least ;)

Yeah, Framerate is really important, moreso than I had expected beforehand. Whenever I enter a station in Elite my Framerate drops to about 50 and I quickly get motion sickness.

bee

oh shit! lfs with dk2 is REALLY good, he hasn't even enabled low persistence yet (should be today or tomorrow) i remember trying iracing with dk1 and being blown away, this is very similar except you can see where you're going now :D forcing 8xsgssaa,16xaf through drivers and limited fps to 76 in the game, works flawlessly

good review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA-8jhwcino

Been giving it a quick try, I've found that the 76 lock gives me a weird stutters, whereas unlocked fps is tad smoother... but still not quite right. I think I might be detecting de-synchronisation from vertical tearing. I'm not sure if low persistence is not quite right or completely disabled - it doesn't look as smeary as the demos where you can toggle it, nor does it look as clean in motion as those that clearly have it. I guess this is what no low persistence, but high framerate and tearing looks like on an OLED. Also the aberration correction isn't implemented so that's rather distracting too. I played for about 30 minutes - no motion sickness, but I can feel a headache coming on from that slight stuttering.

Despite the teething problems, the potential shines through. We're on the verge of something very special indeed. I like the hud being fixed to the car too! Better than iRacing's weird floaty one...

Been giving it a quick try, I've found that the 76 lock gives me a weird stutters, whereas unlocked fps is tad smoother... but still not quite right. I think I might be detecting de-synchronisation from vertical tearing. I'm not sure if low persistence is not quite right or completely disabled - it doesn't look as smeary as the demos where you can toggle it, nor does it look as clean in motion as those that clearly have it. I guess this is what no low persistence, but high framerate and tearing looks like on an OLED. Also the aberration correction isn't implemented so that's rather distracting too. I played for about 30 minutes - no motion sickness, but I can feel a headache coming on from that slight stuttering.

Despite the teething problems, the potential shines through. We're on the verge of something very special indeed. I like the hud being fixed to the car too! Better than iRacing's weird floaty one...

I saw the LFS dev said he wasn't actually aware of the low persistence feature. Of course he is now, so hopefully he can get the DK2 firing on all cylinders soon.

Very promising, even in this fairly rough state it is one of the best demos of the DK2 so far (although I'm a little biased towards sims!) It shows the benefits of positional tracking immediately.

Kudos to LFS for being so quick to support DK2. There's a maintenance window for iRacing on the 11th so there is a small amount of hope, but it doesn't sound like they're able to implement DK2 support as quickly as we'd like due to other more pressing jobs.

Shaneus

I can't wait for this shit to become mainstream. Not for watching TV or anything (because some shit needs to remain social) but for things like driving/flight sims as you've outlined above.

Also can't wait for when someone gets a pinball sim (or Pinball Arcade) working with Oculus and motion detection. Get a neat little controller like this and it'd be fucking incredible.

Top Bottom