• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

bee

posted my modded th8 gear shifter a while back, here's the wheel i'm currently using

g27 with 320mm momo 88 wheel (2nd hand out of a rally car)

wheelklcvd.jpg

big step down from my old t500rs in terms of smoothness but it's been plugged in for 4+ months now and hasn't broken or made any fan noise :p

I'd highly recommend the mod to anyone, takes 10mins at the most, the paddle shifters are still usable with upto 320mm wheels, only needs 2 x allen keys to do it and makes the feel of the wheel more realistic and certainly less toy like

That's very nice bee, I would like a Momo wheel too. Looks like iRacing staff just got sent pizza... not sure if this will speed up the process or slow them down... but hopefully it'll be back soon!

Well iRacing is creaking under the new build load, but I was able to get into a test session for a while. DK2 works as flawlessly as DK1. You launch, it asks whether you want to use the headset, and you're in. The menu is in 3D space, much like LFS. No settings to change, just works. No switching to primary monitor, no picking refresh rates or any such nonsense. It gives you a perfect 1080@75 straight off, with no judder. It would be the most complete implementation... if it had positional tracking. >_<

Well iRacing is creaking under the new build load, but I was able to get into a test session for a while. DK2 works as flawlessly as DK1. You launch, it asks whether you want to use the headset, and you're in. The menu is in 3D space, much like LFS. No settings to change, just works. No switching to primary monitor, no picking refresh rates or any such nonsense. It gives you a perfect 1080@75 straight off, with no judder. It would be the most complete implementation... if it had positional tracking. >_<

That's wicked! Bitter sweet, but wicked. Did you miss head tracking more/less/same than you thought you would?

@Bee Sick wheel. That's a good shape.

Ark

Surely this will arrive in the S1 2015 build in six weeks time? Obviously the biggest benefit of this short six week season is that it gives them a 'by', if you will, to work on more features & content to bring in for the beginning of 2015.

Was going to do some Spa practise today for the RUF but looks like that isn't happening, and I agreed to work more hours next week so I'm going to be cramming my Spa 24 practise in this weekend :D

That's wicked! Bitter sweet, but wicked. Did you miss head tracking more/less/same than you thought you would?
A bit more I think, and I have a slight headache, so there you go. But I'm putting that down to having used DK2 in sims extensively at this point with that extra tracking accuracy, so it's quite a shock to the system. But I was basically used to it after 5 mins.

Surely this will arrive in the S1 2015 build in six weeks time?
I'm hoping a lot sooner tbh. It must be a small bug that needs working out, and I wouldn't be surprised if this major update needs other quick fixes that may get implemented over the next few days... fingers crossed.

I really, really hope they just ran out of time on it, and intend to stick it in with the inevitable post-release patch. It was a three month wait for what we have today. No one wants to wait an additional six weeks. I'm hoping someone chimes in fairly soon.

bee

the implementation is as good as i thought/hoped it would be, it just works, no messing about. the lack of positional tracking and not being able to force anti aliasing through drivers is a huge let down though, really hope it's fixed before the next build as other than that it's excellent, think my reaction to it is slightly dulled though as this is one game i've already experienced on the dk1

trillbo

Are we showing off our wheels now?

I'm using a T500RS with a Sparco wheel. You lose the wheel buttons but it's so worth it. Turning feels a lot smoother. Using the DK2 now though, so I don't get to see it as much when using it.

Skyzard

Banned
Very cool setup, looks like a lot of fun with triple screens too. Nice to switch it up from using the rift? Or Rift always?

One day I'll get a nice racing setup. For sure. g25 and wheelstand pro has been plenty fun in the mean time.

For now, just more hardcore racing:

http://a.pomf.se/dnqzri.webm

trillbo

Very cool setup, looks like a lot of fun with triple screens too. Nice to switch it up from using the rift? Or Rift always?

One day I'll get a nice racing setup. For sure. g25 and wheelstand pro has been plenty fun in the mean time.

Thanks! The triple screen setup doesn't play nice with my DK2, so I've removed one of the screens since taking these pics. LFS on the DK2 made me never want to go back to triple screens. I'm so glad Assetto Corsa has DK2 support now because I hadn't touched it since I got the DK2. I really missed it!

Triple screens are still the choice if you're being competitive on the sim racing scene. I'm not really competitive though, and just love driving. The DK2 has really spoiled me.

For now, just more hardcore racing:

http://a.pomf.se/dnqzri.webm

Amazing. Where can I get the truck mod?

Seanspeed

Banned
Triple screens are still the choice if you're being competitive on the sim racing scene.
You think so?

What specific advantages do you think it has, specifically? I'm hyped for VR in racing sims, but it'd be disappointing if it meant I was less competitive.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks! The triple screen setup doesn't play nice with my DK2, so I've removed one of the screens since taking these pics. LFS on the DK2 made me never want to go back to triple screens. I'm so glad Assetto Corsa has DK2 support now because I hadn't touched it since I got the DK2. I really missed it!

Triple screens are still the choice if you're being competitive on the sim racing scene. I'm not really competitive though, and just love driving. The DK2 has really spoiled me.

Amazing. Where can I get the truck mod?

I want to be able to imagine what you mean...like hopefully the immersion is good! My rift should be shipping really soon. Cannot wait. Going to be playing even more AC and maybe some Elite Dangerous (space game).

The truck mod I'm pretty sure is this:
http://acmods.net/cars/volvo-race-truck/

I think that might even be an updated one which I'm going to download myself.

Shame the sounds on old mods aren't there yet. Any idea when/if they have released the sound dev tools yet?

--Actually, that's a different truck, haven't tried it yet ha.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u7wcgf40h4th44m/truck_0.8.rar
That's the one (from here).

Watevaman

I checked last night and they said the sound SDK was getting the problems worked out before they released it.

It's a shame, as I have the C6R sitting there and can feel the rumble through the gamepad but it's just not the same!

trillbo

I can only guess the wider field of view without having to move your head?

Not so much that, it's just the the DK2 and VR implementation for most sims just aren't there yet. It can be tough to resolve distant images in the DK2, and because when racing you're looking into the distance a lot this can be troublesome, especially if you don't know the track too well. I wouldn't be too sure about being less competitive though. I find I'm getting faster corner speeds in the Rift compared to screens.

Once the Rift gets to a high enough resolution it won't be an issue, and once developers fully adapt their UI for VR then triple screen sim racing will start to become obsolete.

Cheers! It's true there is no real way to describe the Rift experience, but trust me you will love it on AC and Elite!

Business

posted my modded th8 gear shifter a while back, here's the wheel i'm currently using

g27 with 320mm momo 88 wheel (2nd hand out of a rally car)

wheelklcvd.jpg

big step down from my old t500rs in terms of smoothness but it's been plugged in for 4+ months now and hasn't broken or made any fan noise :p

I'd highly recommend the mod to anyone, takes 10mins at the most, the paddle shifters are still usable with upto 320mm wheels, only needs 2 x allen keys to do it and makes the feel of the wheel more realistic and certainly less toy like

Oh I posted mine a while back too, it's a G27 too but I used an OMP wheel.

mrIwC.jpg

PAhwR.jpg

Watching a race as a spectator in VR is awesome. Awesome I tell you!

I'm hoping someone does some VR camera sets with spectator vantage points. I'll throw down a cold, soggy, piece of corrugated aluminum onto my office chair for presence.

Reiza F-Truck update: "Work ongoing on the Formula Truck update - hopefully environmentalists won´t mind seeing some virtual diesel smoke :) "

Very nice. I almost forgot Truck was getting an update too. Can't wait.

Shaneus

Reiza F-Truck update: "Work ongoing on the Formula Truck update - hopefully environmentalists won´t mind seeing some virtual diesel smoke :) "
Oh god, I love Reiza.

Oh I posted mine a while back too, it's a G27 too but I used an OMP wheel.

http://i.imgur.com/mrIwC.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PAhwR.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Is there much difference between an OG G27 and one with a real wheel?

My biggest problem is that you lose all the buttons, basically. If someone made some kind of a generic panel that can be attached to any wheel (or the base or something else) so you keep all the functionality, it'd be amazing and I'd do the mod straight away.

Business

Is there much difference between an OG G27 and one with a real wheel?

My biggest problem is that you lose all the buttons, basically. If someone made some kind of a generic panel that can be attached to any wheel (or the base or something else) so you keep all the functionality, it'd be amazing and I'd do the mod straight away.

It doesn't make your G27 a better steering wheel. I did it for the looks and the fun of actually doing it. At 320mm your paddles will be useless too if you don't change them for bigger custom ones like I did too. The buttons is not a real issue to me with a keyboard around, I choosed a wheel with 2 buttons again more for the fun of actually wiring them to the pcb than anything else.

Edit: check http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/g27-mini-plates.html

TJP

MotoGP '14 on sale for 7.51 GBP/$12.00 USD: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2074-motogp-14 and the MotoGP '14 Season Pass is on sale for 3.00 GBP/$4.80 USD: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2159-motogp-14-season-pass

I've used Nuuvem before and they are 100% legit - you can find positive comments on Reddit Gaming Deals thread and plently of bargin websites (HotUKDeals, OzBargains et al). That said, this is a MILESTONE made game so the game may or may not work as intended..read the Steam forums (yeah I know) before buying.

Watevaman

MotoGP '14 on sale for 7.51 GBP/$12.00 USD: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2074-motogp-14 and the MotoGP '14 Season Pass is on sale for 3.00 GBP/$4.80 USD: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2159-motogp-14-season-pass

I've used Nuuvem before and they are 100% legit - you can find positive comments on Reddit Gaming Deals thread and plently of bargin websites (HotUKDeals, OzBargains et al).

was actually just playing the demo earlier today:

However, I wasn't too happy with the framerate (even on my aging GTX570 @ 1080). Does the full game run better or should I expect the same?

TJP

Edit: nice of you to replicate Cal Crutchlow throwing away second place at Phillip Island on the last lap (although your pictures look like Mugello).

However, I wasn't too happy with the framerate (even on my aging GTX570 @ 1080). Does the full game run better or should I expect the same?
I've no idea as the last time I looked at MotoGP 14 the demo downloaded 200MB and stopped. After 2 weeks of waiting, Milestone hadn't fixed the issue so I gave up and lost interest. FWIW, MotoGP '13 ran like a 3 legged dog for me with a GTX 680 (in-game FSAA applied). Pre-patch it ran well above 60fps and after the patch the variable framerate did my head in so I locked it to 30fps. I still have NFI what Milestone 'fixed' in '13; they sure borked the frame rate.

Have a read through the Steam forums for user feedback: http://steamcommunity.com/app/256390/discussions/

I have been playing it since the last patch, its a pretty decent racer although it is riddled with problems. I would say keep an eye on it, the actual racing is great but the multiplayer doesnt work and there are a bunch of menu problems. I have to use my graphics card control center to add Anti aliasing and texture filtering to smooth it out. Not worth 40 bucks.

Shaneus

It doesn't make your G27 a better steering wheel. I did it for the looks and the fun of actually doing it. At 320mm your paddles will be useless too if you don't change them for bigger custom ones like I did too. The buttons is not a real issue to me with a keyboard around, I choosed a wheel with 2 buttons again more for the fun of actually wiring them to the pcb than anything else.

Edit: check http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/g27-mini-plates.html
Oh, I know it won't make it a better wheel, but does it feel better to you? I know it won't do shit to how it actually works ;)

Edit: Those plates! Don't know if it's worth the price of entry for the wheel, mounting bracket, mini plate and paddle extension thingy (sounds like that could soon add up) but I'm glad the option's there.

TJP

What's the most graphically impressive sim racing game that's been released?
+1 for Assetto Corsa. iRacing can look great at times too because of the realistic colours. Some of the textures are shitty but then I don't really need 3D grass and super high res trees.

Other sims do some pretty impressive things graphically for their age (e.g Game Stock Car Extreme) but Assetto Corsa is the king of eye candy until pCARS ships.

DD

I've used Nuuvem before and they are 100% legit - you can find positive comments on Reddit Gaming Deals thread and plently of bargin websites (HotUKDeals, OzBargains et al). That said, this is a MILESTONE made game so the game may or may not work as intended..read the Steam forums (yeah I know) before buying.

Nuuvem is fine. I bought lots of games there. The good thing is that most of them you can activate on Steam. If somebody has any problem with portuguese, I can help with that.

bj00rn_

Banned
It can be tough to resolve distant images in the DK2, and because when racing you're looking into the distance a lot this can be troublesome

Yup, that's exactly what happens. As amazing as the DK2 is in Assetto Corsa, the 1080p resolution isn't quite enough for full-blown racing because when you "look ahead" like you do in real life, often your eyes land on the most pixellated part of the image, and it can often be a hindrance when instinctively calculating turns, and timing when braking and power usage out of the turn (it's still lightyears better than a single screen, we're talking about a very small issue here in the big picture) . The CV1 will probably solve a lot of those issues.

Except some resolution issues though the experience is truly mindblowing. It's so profound that I for one will never again be quite "able to" get into a car game without VR again. Some people have been asking for killer apps for VR, but if you ask me they are already here in the form of Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous. If people without VR experience only knew how good it is..

The only thing I worry about is the upcoming need for CPU and GPU power for 1440p+ resolution, Assetto Corsa in VR easily drain my overclocked i7 3770k and GTX970 even though I have plenty of spare fps (close to 150 fps single car, high settings) when on a fixed display..

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hello everyone, I have a favor to ask. Can anyone here who owns Dirt 2 on Steam try to log into their GFWL profile to see if it works or not? I'm trying to log in and it won't let me, and I can't seem to find any info on anything changing so I'm wondering if it's a problem on my end or not.

Thanks.

So, anyone with Dirt 2 on steam able to even launch the game? It seems to me like it no longer even starts because of GFWL being unable to log in.

Damn, I really liked this game too. :(

Aerocrane

So, anyone with Dirt 2 on steam able to even launch the game? It seems to me like it no longer even starts because of GFWL being unable to log in.

Damn, I really liked this game too. :(

It launches and logs me into GFWL and I can play it just fine. Seems like it's a problem on your end.

Skyzard

Banned
Not so much that, it's just the the DK2 and VR implementation for most sims just aren't there yet. It can be tough to resolve distant images in the DK2, and because when racing you're looking into the distance a lot this can be troublesome, especially if you don't know the track too well. I wouldn't be too sure about being less competitive though. I find I'm getting faster corner speeds in the Rift compared to screens.

Once the Rift gets to a high enough resolution it won't be an issue, and once developers fully adapt their UI for VR then triple screen sim racing will start to become obsolete.

Cheers! It's true there is no real way to describe the Rift experience, but trust me you will love it on AC and Elite!
Yup, that's exactly what happens. As amazing as the DK2 is in Assetto Corsa, the 1080p resolution isn't quite enough for full-blown racing because when you "look ahead" like you do in real life, often your eyes land on the most pixellated part of the image, and it can often be a hindrance when instinctively calculating turns, and timing when braking and power usage out of the turn (it's still lightyears better than a single screen, we're talking about a very small issue here in the big picture) . The CV1 will probably solve a lot of those issues.

Except some resolution issues though the experience is truly mindblowing. It's so profound that I for one will never again be quite "able to" get into a car game without VR again. Some people have been asking for killer apps for VR, but if you ask me they are already here in the form of Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous. If people without VR experience only knew how good it is..

The only thing I worry about is the upcoming need for CPU and GPU power for 1440p+ resolution, Assetto Corsa in VR easily drain my overclocked i7 3770k and GTX970 even though I have plenty of spare fps (close to 150 fps single car, high settings) when on a fixed display..

This is a pretty big issue for me as well. I just got mine yesterday so perhaps I'm noticing the effect a lot more (the pixels) that will get better with time (?) but it's all I can see as I'm looking down the road on some tracks.

Might be a lot better on races with less straights perhaps.

Guys... Rift came yesterday. What can I say that hasn't already been said a million times before. There's magic in there I tell ya!

AC has been a bitch. Won't display followed by crashing. I'll get that worked out later.

iRacing is outrageous though. It's implementation couldn't be more appreciated for someone spending their first minutes with the OC. Couldn't be simpler. And wow, you're there in the car, at the track. Really, you are.

We've been pummeled by a nor'easter here in New England the last couple of days, and as I sat in the Lotus 49 at CotA under the bright Texas sun I actually had a moment where I thought the weather had cleared. That's crazy. If you're a person who suffers from living in a subarctic country, buy a Rift immediately. You'll have instant sunshine at your fingertips.

The best thing I can say is that it's so convincing that you're more surprised by what doesn't happen, than what does. I moved my real arm so I could see a slice of center console in the Mac. Nawp! iRacing's arm animations are limited, so it's freaky when going past a certain lock, or it doesn't take a hand off to shift.

Anyway, no need to preach to the choir. I just want to acknowledge that I've seen what some of you have seen, and it's incredibly exciting.

Guys... Rift came yesterday. What can I say that hasn't already been said a million times before. There's magic in there I tell ya!

AC has been a bitch. Won't display followed by crashing. I'll get that worked out later.

iRacing is outrageous though. It's implementation couldn't be more appreciated for someone spending there first minutes with the OC. Couldn't be simpler. And wow, you're there in the car, at the track. Really, you are.

We've been pummeled by a nor'easter here in New England the last couple of days, and as I sat in the Lotus 49 at CotA under the bright Texas sun I actually had a moment where I thought the weather had cleared. That's crazy. If you're a person who suffers from living in a subarctic country, buy a Rift immediately. You'll have instant sunshine at your fingertips.

The best thing I can say is that it's so convincing that you're more surprised by what doesn't happen, than what does. I moved my real arm so I could see a slice of center console in the Mac. Nawp! iRacing's arm animations are limited, so it's freaky when going past a certain lock, or it doesn't take a hand off to shift.

Anyway, no need to preach to the choir. I just want to acknowledge that I've seen what some of you have seen, and it's incredibly exciting.
159.gif

I had problems with AC too. I tried so many things, I can't even tell you exactly what got it to work!

Branson

I've always wondered how the rift works with a 5.1 receiver. I run all of my hdmi through it and switch inputs with it. Would I just take the hdmi coming out of the receiver and plug it into the rift?

159.gif

I had problems with AC too. I tried so many things, I can't even tell you exactly what got it to work!

AC:

jj0qpv8.gif

I'm sure I'll get it figured out. It ran overtime on it's futz quota. I had spaceships to fly and whales to swim with ;-)

I've always wondered how the rift works with a 5.1 receiver. I run all of my hdmi through it and switch inputs with it. Would I just take the hdmi coming out of the receiver and plug it into the rift?

Provided your receiver has a secondary output (and can output both simultaneously), and it didn't add any noticeable input lag, I don't see why you couldn't do that.

It's certainly possible that you'll prefer the audio processing to be done by your computer, and outputted to headphones (included with Retail Rift), at which point the convenience of switching might be diminished. I used my Asus mobo's positional audio processing last night with the OC and it worked pretty well. It's a little dirty, but it's also super-easy.

Mascot

Man alive, it's brutally hard not jumping in when I read all these semi-religious rapturefests involving OR and racing sims. I'm utterly determined to wait for CV1 though, and to build a big enough tech fund in the meantime to do it absolute justice.

Oh man, this OR hype is killing me. I haven't been hitting up the racing sims nearly enough these last few months but as soon as I see the OR talk I want to order one immediately. I can't wait to go iRacing ape shit with the consumer model drops.

paskowitz

iRacing is outrageous though. It's implementation couldn't be more appreciated for someone spending their first minutes with the OC. Couldn't be simpler. And wow, you're there in the car, at the track. Really, you are.

159.gif

I tried for two and a half hours yesterday to no avail.

Skyzard

Banned
How many monitors are you using?

Did you try with Extended mode and the OR set to the main display (in windows settings-screen resolution).

Top Bottom