• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

daninthemix

What kind of game are you looking for? Maybe I can help.

Not really sure. Quite like Burnout Paradise, but I got bored of the city and gunmetal colour palette. Liked the car handling though. Also tried NFS Hot Pursuit and didn't like the point-to-point races (felt the environments weren't that great).

Basically I think I'm a bit of a fussy bugger when it comes to racing games.

DD

Thanks - added to my wishlist as well. Is this a more arcadey version of Dirt? Tried Dirt 3 but wasn't that keen on it.

Yes. It's not about offroad racing like Dirt 1, 2 and 3. It's about crashing instead. I was really pissed with Codemasters when this thing was announced, but they gave it for free on Grid Autosport preorders. And you know what? I had a blast with this game. Really really fun.

How dare you mess up the sim racing thread daninthemix!

;)

You may want to look at Wreckfest, formerly known as 'Next Car Game'. Currently on Steam Early Access. It's the best way to smash stuff up, some of the most advanced destruction yet. The handling is not as 'arcade' as you might expect, so I don't know if it'll tick all the right boxes.

Is it me or have ISI really upped the pace in regards to content release? If Interlagos, Jacksonville and Mountain Peak come out before Xmas, that'll be 7 tracks.

They're doing what I think needed to be done which is to add more content by any means necessary. Third party cars, collaboration tracks, resurrected rF1 tracks, whatever needs to be done. I've been impressed by their resourcefulness.

Shaneus

F1 2014 is now out on Steam, PS3 and 360. In Australia, on Steam it's $50USD.

Let that sink in for a bit.

Do we even have an OT for it?

TJP

F1 2014 is now out on Steam, PS3 and 360. In Australia, on Steam it's $50USD.

Let that sink in for a bit.

Do we even have an OT for it?
$50...no thanks. As PC Gamer so eloquently summarised: "Never before has Codemasters delivered something so closely resembling a free download from a community modding site". GSC-E has the best current-gen F1 cars and F1 2013 was servicable plus it has the classic DLC which 2014 doesn't so I see no reason to buy another F1 game until the new EGO engine'd F1 2015 is trotted out

No idea about an f1 2014 OT - there is a review thread floating about. What's funnier (or sad) is the Grid: Autosport OT exists (and it's a solid game) and the Codemasters reps aren't adding posts to indicate what they've released via DLC, some of which is really good, plus they recently added OR support. Never has a low-res dashboard looked better!

Shaneus

Eurogamer gave it a 5. Keep in mind, same website (different reviewer and NOT Martin Robinson) gave Driveclub a 6.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Should I wait for your previous post to sink in before I begin to digest this one, or should I read them together and simply extend the sinking time?

Addnan

I guess no one from CM reads F1 thread, I offered OT :p

But seriously I do want to try it just out of curiosity because it is an F1 game =/ and need something to fill that whole of simcade on PC.

TJP

Should I wait for your previous post to sink in before I begin to digest this one, or should I read them together and simply extend the sinking time?
Haha! I think the latter option is best.

Eurogamer gave it a 5. Keep in mind, same website (different reviewer and NOT Martin Robinson) gave Driveclub a 6.
Eurogamer also gave Battlefield 4 an 8/10 which was an absolute mess at launch. The cheeky fuckers have just published an article Battlefield 4: The redefinition of Early Access - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-15-battlefield-4-the-redefinition-of-early-access

As Driveclub is half finished, it should mean it'll be a 12/10 from Eurogamer when Evolution add in photomode, weather and functioning multiplayer ;)

So you're suggesting F1 2014 is worth buying? Is the Shaneus I once new or a repllicant?

Shaneus

I guess no one from CM reads F1 thread, I offered OT :p

But seriously I do want to try it just out of curiosity because it is an F1 game =/ and need something to fill that whole of simcade on PC.
Don't give them the satisfaction.

Driveclub is half finished which means it'll be a 12/10 from Eurogamer when Evolution add in photomode, weather and functioning multiplayer ;)

So you're suggesting F1 2014 is worth buying? Is the Shaneus I once new or a repllicant?
No, I'm suggesting Driveclub gets a review from a decent reviewer at Eurogamer. I don't care about the score, just the review that barely covers the game.

Skyzard

Banned
F1 2014 is not worth buying, no.

You can brake whenever the hell you want. Your car will never spin out unless you are driving blind. This is with every assist off.

You are Iron Man but as an F1 racer.

Skyzard could be describing the overly-intrusive gamepad assists. With a wheel, the 2014 cars are very sensitive and slidey on the throttle. There are still hidden things going on preventing snap spins, but if you drive in a serious manner within certain limits, there is a 'window' of realism that feels good enough to be enjoyed with a wheel.

Skyzard

Banned
Skyzard could be describing the overly-intrusive gamepad assists. With a wheel, the 2014 cars are very sensitive and slidey on the throttle. There are still hidden things going on preventing snap spins, but if you drive in a serious manner within certain limits, there is a 'window' of realism that feels good enough to be enjoyed with a wheel.

Yup...but you lose that feeling that you are in a beast of a vehicle with that. It's like they got these cars from toys r us with massive safety.

It's better with a wheel, especially with the harder vehicles. I just wasn't having anywhere near as much fun as with other titles. It was too simple. Maybe I didn't set the force feedback right with the wheel.

The only suggestion I have is 270 degrees in the driver, and make sure there's no steering deadzone in the options menu. You may have to manually set it to 'wheel' on the 'override input device type' bit in order for it to read the 270 lock properly (but check the rest of settings after that, as they may reset - probably giving you a deadzone on the steering again... and any custom buttons may have reset too). On a T500 I have the three FFB sliders (in the game) down to minimum, and overall strength down to 40% in the driver.

Skyzard

Banned
Thank you, I spent some more time with it...and it's kinda fun with a wheel on some of the harder rated vehicles but I can't shake the sense that I'm not really in control of this. The game is doing most of the work taking the corners and handling the vehicle, it doesn't take much precision from me to keep things going well.

I'm barely given the possibility to mess up (any worse than a slightly shimmy on the track). Not all that satisfying, like it's missing something.

But much better than with a controller on the lower difficulty vehicles. I can actually enjoy it now.

Ark

iRacing: In-case anyone here is interested, there are still spots open for the RUF C-Spec at the 24 hours of Spa on the 1-2 November. HPD and Ford GT signups are closed. I've got myself signed up with a few guys and I'm really looking forward to the race.

20 HPDs, 17 Ford GT's, and 10 RUF's signed up at the moment. Hoping we can get to 15 RUF's before race day.

Some more fun in the final race of the UK&I Skippy Championship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8IXhzbfL7k

You deserved a better fate.

@Ark That should be good fun. Four hour stints? I think my brain would turn to mush! I'd like to get involved with some shorter races. Driver swaps are going to be very cool however.

Some great looking stuff in the build notes, including tire model changes. Not so great is there isn't going to be positional head tracking for Oculus. That's very disappointing, tbh. I dunno, maybe they're having clipping issues or something. Not impressed.

You deserved a better fate.

@Ark That should be good fun. Four hour stints? I think my brain would turn to mush! I'd like to get involved with some shorter races. Driver swaps are going to be very cool however.

Some great looking stuff in the build notes, including tire model changes. Not so great is there isn't going to be positional head tracking for Oculus. That's very disappointing, tbh. I dunno, maybe they're having clipping issues or something. Not impressed.
Yeah, dunno if you were reading the thread but my loss of places at the end was due to a cone getting lodged under my front wing, causing significant understeer. Didn't show in the coverage (from about 39:20) but here's how it looked from my screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW355hf7SK0

Shame about the positional tracking, hopefully something they can fix quickly. I'm sure it'll be fine though, DK1's lack of positional tracking was the least of its problems - the VR sensation was very intense with DK1 on iRacing, and I would've continued to use the headset over a monitor if it was more responsive, less blurry and higher res. We're still getting those things, so it should be pretty great. :)

Yeah, dunno if you were reading the thread but my loss of places at the end was due to a cone getting lodged under my front wing, causing significant understeer. Didn't show in the coverage (from about 39:20) but here's how it looked from my screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW355hf7SK0

Ah! Yeah, I was like jeez he (you) almost ran that guy all the way out to wall. Now I see why!

Shame about the positional tracking, hopefully something they can fix quickly. I'm sure it'll be fine though, DK1's lack of positional tracking was the least of its problems - the VR sensation was very intense with DK1 on iRacing, and I would've continued to use the headset over a monitor if it was more responsive, less blurry and higher res. We're still getting those things, so it should be pretty great. :)

You're up two Rifts to none on me, so I'll have to take your word for it :) Yeah, I mean other than to take a peek, I have no reason to move forwards/backwards. The only thing I care about is that it doesn't increase the likelihood of nausea.

I just wanted it to be perfect, that's all. That, and I'm curious as to why it's not there. Again you'd know better than I, but I haven't seen anything about positional tracking being problematic within software. Although I'm sure there's a good reason, whatever it may be.

Seanspeed

Banned
You're up two Rifts to none on me, so I'll have to take your word for it :) Yeah, I mean other than to take a peek, I have no reason to move forwards/backwards. The only thing I care about is that it doesn't increase the likelihood of nausea.
I think once you experience positional tracking, not having it is going to be a bit jarring and disappointing, not to mention uncomfortable at times. Even moving your head just a couple inches forward or backwards and having that translate in-game seems to make a big difference to the level of presence/immersion.

Ark

I actually have no idea on how long the stints will be. The minimum is 45 minutes per stint and maximum 4 hours. The longest race I've ever done was 90 minutes back on GT5, so yeah 4 hours might be insane :p

Business

Positional tracking is huge. Conflicting information causes discomfort in VR, if your eyes see something that doesn't match what your inner ear would expect, there's a problem. Luckily you'll never have to experience VR without it :)

Again, awesome race. Watching your races is so much more fun than watching F1 today lol

BTW, do cones respawn in iRacing? People were hitting them in each lap and I didn't see so many cones to hit in the first place!
Yeah the marshal who keeps putting them back is an overenthusiastic bastard! The way it works is quite mysterious - I've never seen a cone reset... there must be a clever piece of code that determines which screens it is displaying on, making an active physics object (that works across everyone's connection), and only allows it to reset when it isn't on the screen of any of those drivers. Typically, it means that all the cones are reset by the time you complete a lap. Unfortunately that also means only a small amount of the cone bouncing action shows up on the live coverage - as their cameras are acting just like another driver - so sometimes people will seemingly make errors when actually they've got a cone stuck. This is only going to get harder to track once they implement full pieces of bodywork flying off...

I think once you experience positional tracking, not having it is going to be a bit jarring and disappointing, not to mention uncomfortable at times. Even moving your head just a couple inches forward or backwards and having that translate in-game seems to make a big difference to the level of presence/immersion.
Indeed, it is immediately jarring when things don't line up. But the effect of that is you feel restricted, and you very quickly learn the constraints of the neck model, and you feel a strong urge to stay within those limits. As long as you do, it is fine. The benefit of positional aside from being able to lean around like mad is that it has the effect of giving you a bespoke neck model, so even if you're not leaning around, positional-tracked rotation is slightly more natural (and maybe more than slight, depending on how far from average your neck/head is).

In a way it is more realistic for this application - totally free positional tracking in a tight, single-seater means you can clip right through the bodywork, lean right up to the gauges, poke your head out and look backwards, when really you'd be strapped in tight, helmet and HANS device restricting your movement quite similarly to a rotational-tracked Rift. This is no excuse however, it would still be better with positional, as you would have a similar urge not to lean around like crazy just from experiencing the situation you're in.

Lach

Damn I need to get back into iRacing. I only got out of Rookie racing and want to do skippy, but I have almost no time these days...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Oh, neat.

I tried finding it, but couldn't come up with anything. Without having to work too hard to find it, I'd love to see it.

I did however come across this video of the ASR classic Ferrari for rF2 that I seriously needed a minute to figure out if it was real or not. Seeing Prost's honking nose holding his balaclava down really made me pause!

(Click)

Hold on a second.....what in the flying fuck? Is that real in-game graphics? What kind of crazy trickery did they do to make Interlagos look this good? Is this using some kind of ENB/SweetFX mod that improves the graphics or something? The lighting in this vid OUTRAGEOUS!

Big Takeover I demand answers to this ASAP!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK after reading the ISI forums, it appears that video is actually real life footage, Interlagos is not even out yet. But why did the author this vid use rFactor 2's name to try and trick people into thinking this is the game they're looking at when it obviously isn't?

DD

Hold on a second.....what in the flying fuck? Is that real in-game graphics? What kind of crazy trickery did they do to make Interlagos look this good? Is this using some kind of ENB/SweetFX mod that improves the graphics or something? The lighting in this vid OUTRAGEOUS!

Big Takeover I demand answers to this ASAP!!!!

he probably used Adobe After Effects or something like that. But it would be nice to have these kind of effects on SweetFX...

Juicy Bob

So I finally could afford to pay to unlock GSC Extreme after really enjoying the hour-long free demo a few weeks ago.

Now I just need to figure out how to install custom skins...

OK after reading the ISI forums, it appears that video is actually real life footage, Interlagos is not even out yet. But why did the author this vid use rFactor 2's name to try and trick people into thinking this is the game they're looking at when it obviously isn't?

It's not real life footage lol

It's edited in-game footage.

After spending a little money in RaceRoom on the BMW 320 Turbo, the DMDP21, Bathurst and Suzuka, I've really begun to enjoy it a whole lot more. A question though, has anyone been able to lock the framerate? I'm locking it to 70fps in Nvidia inspector, but the game ignores it and the experience isn't as smooth as it should be.

After spending a little money in RaceRoom on the BMW 320 Turbo, the DMDP21, Bathurst and Suzuka, I've really begun to enjoy it a whole lot more. A question though, has anyone been able to lock the framerate? I'm locking it to 70fps in Nvidia inspector, but the game ignores it and the experience isn't as smooth as it should be.
It has no lock (I requested it and they didn't seem to think it was important), but Nvidia Inspector works for me... most of the time. :)

It has no lock (I requested it and they didn't seem to think it was important), but Nvidia Inspector works for me... most of the time. :)
Deja vu. You've written the same answer to me before (about requesting the feature)... I think I've already asked this a couple of months back lol

Top Bottom