• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

paskowitz

Interesting that you didn't mention pCARS...

I have complete confidence that SMS can make a great game and a great sim. They are just not there yet.

They are wisely throwing out the current physics system, like others have said. If I am not mistaken the core development team from GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends now work at SMS. They know how to make a great sim, they just have to... do it.

Megasoum

Banned
I have complete confidence that SMS can make a great game and a great sim. They are just not there yet.

They are wisely throwing out the current physics system, like others have said. If I am not mistaken the core development team from GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends now work at SMS. They know how to make a great sim, they just have to... do it.

GTR was made by Simbin, a company founded by Ian Bell, GTR2/GT Legends were made by Blimey! Games, the second company Ian Bell founded after leaving Simbin with the whole team. Blimey changed name to SMS in 09.

So basically, SMS made GTR/GTR2/GTLegend.

1-D_FTW

From the reviews I've seen, Ferrari Legends has the same feel as Shift and Cars. I'm one of those who no longer extend them the benefit of the doubt. They seem to have settled on a certain feel, and I don't think it's fair to blame everyone but SMS. At this point, I'm inclined to believe they've shipped games with the physics they've wanted.

Shaneus

From the reviews I've seen, Ferrari Legends has the same feel as Shift and Cars. I'm one of those who no longer extend them the benefit of the doubt. They seem to have settled on a certain feel, and I don't think it's fair to blame everyone but SMS. At this point, I'm inclined to believe they've shipped games with the physics they've wanted.
Or the physics Atari wanted. Or Ferrari. Difference b/w pCARS and Shift/Legends is that they seem to be much more their own team rather than doing it under the eye of Atari or EA. Just like when they were (or part of, or whatever) Simbin.

markao

Still feels like NFS Shift tbh.
I could not disagree more, it doesn't feel like Shift at all and I honestly have no idea why people keep saying this, unless they have not played either of the two. (for a long time)

It is so easy to try them back to back and you will instantly feel the difference. (no controller input lag, or a back sliding and straightening up constantly).The transition from grip, to loosing it and re-gripping again in pCARS needs some work, IMO, but the overall feel of the cars, in the last few months, already improved a lot.

@1-D_FTW : Ferrari Legends used the "Shift version" of the madness engine as base, not what has been improved on since the project started, so it's very likely to fee the same.

Megasoum

Banned

The Ferrari game was never meant as a simulation either... It's a big Ferrari infomercial, they need to reach as many people as possible with it. You don't to that if you have hardcore sim physics...

_machine

The Ferrari game was never meant as a simulation either... It's a big Ferrari infomercial, they need to reach as many people as possible with it. You don't to that if you have hardcore sim physics...
Yup and it with Andy saying a 75 is a fair score for the game and Ian saying the physics are meant to be fun not anywhere near as realistic as pCars or others sims you can say they probably aren't very happy with how the development turned out. I still might get the game if it ever turns out on Steam.

Anyway, played a bit of GT Legends today on my pad and it made me hate the Momo even more; sure the controls were a bit twitchy, but it was so much better than Momo and why I fell in love with the game ages ago.

Megasoum

Banned
Anyway, played a bit of GT Legends today on my pad and it made me hate the Momo even more; sure the controls were a bit twitchy, but it was so much better than Momo and why I fell in love with the game ages ago.

I really gotta try GT Legend at some point. I don't think I ever played it.

1-D_FTW

Yup and it with Andy saying a 75 is a fair score for the game and Ian saying the physics are meant to be fun not anywhere near as realistic as pCars or others sims you can say they probably aren't very happy with how the development turned out. I still might get the game if it ever turns out on Steam.

Plays great on a G27, so it's probably more the Momo than anything.

I really gotta try GT Legend at some point. I don't think I ever played it.

If you do, you're probably better off buying the digital version from their website unless you want to deal with sending screenshots of your purchase (to get said digital version). The DVD has Starforce copy protection that doesn't work on Windows 7.

TJP

If you do, you're probably better off buying the digital version from their website unless you want to deal with sending screenshots of your purchase (to get said digital version).
It took me less than a day to receive a link from SimBin to download the digital version for free after sending in a photo of my DVD copy of GT Legends. SimBin are great to deal with - one of their website team sent me a private DL link as I found the official link on the SimBin website horribly slow.

Shaneus

I could imagine that if it does come to PC it'd be quite customisable, to the point of physics and the driving model being tweaked.

TJP

SimBin have announced:

rre-news.jpeg

From the press release: RaceRoom Racing Experience combines traditional game play with a brand new community portal, all connected and seamlessly built into one platform making it More Than a Game™. RaceRoom Racing Experience is a Free 2 Race concept where a high end racing game is provided for free. The concept offers the opportunity to purchase additional content, thus allowing every user to build the game of their dreams.

Not quite the GTR 3 reveal many of us were hoping for 8(

Megasoum

Banned
SimBin have announced:

rre-news.jpeg

From the press release: RaceRoom Racing Experience combines traditional game play with a brand new community portal, all connected and seamlessly built into one platform making it More Than a Game™. RaceRoom Racing Experience is a Free 2 Race concept where a high end racing game is provided for free. The concept offers the opportunity to purchase additional content, thus allowing every user to build the game of their dreams.

Not quite the GTR 3 reveal many of us were hoping for 8(

So basically it's Simbin's take on ACR... We'll see I guess...

This. Plus, Amazon sells the original for 19.99:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VOSQ0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So it's only the DD that's still stuck at 40 dollars. I have the retail version and just use a no-cd patch to run it directly from the hard drive. Even have it linked to my Steam library. So you really only need to run the dvd once to install it (if that's why you're leaning towards DD).

I was just going through the process of ordering this and got hit with shipping and import fees... Total now = $33. I might as well just order the DD for an extra $7... This sucks.

bee

so, finally bothered to pick up rfactor 2 while i wait for my new wheel to arrive, bought it, i have an email showing this and i can log in, but all options to play are greyed out, here's what it looks like

rf22i1pp1.png

rf2ctplr.png

files in packages folder
rf23wlo21.png

any suggestions?

bee

Go to the purchase tab and try to re-activate it. For some reason it hasn't verified itself.

nice one, worked a treat, played for 1 min on a 360 pad....yeah i'd never play sims if i didn't have a wheel (which i don't right now :/ )

1-D_FTW

I'd quit playing sims too. I don't even like playing arcade racers anymore if they don't have wheel support (although I will make the odd exception).

You had a modified G27, right? What are getting to replace it?

Is it normal for a sim to not support an h-shifter? Im just asking because it appears as though R07 doesn't. Do the rFactors and iRacing support them?

markao

Is it normal for a sim to not support an h-shifter? Im just asking because it appears as though R07 doesn't. Do the rFactors and iRacing support them?
I'm pretty sure SimBin games always have h-shifter support.

Just edit your profile and map the "reverse,1st, 2nd, etc" gears.

bee

You had a modified G27, right? What are getting to replace it?

modified g25, sold it for more than i bought it for (4 years ago) lol, trusty servant and still felt great. got a t500 rs on its way (not looking forward to the downgrade in pedals from my modded g25), will get some clubsport v2 pedals and th8 shifter at some point too but that's probably a fair way down the line

TJP

An eagle eyed RaceDepartment member spotted this banner on RaceRoom.com

big-teaser_gamescom-2012_01.jpg

The car looks very much like a Holden Commodore; perhaps V8 Supercars are also coming to RaceRoom 8)

Shaneus

An eagle eyed RaceDepartment member spotted this banner on RaceRoom.com

big-teaser_gamescom-2012_01-jpg.33510

The car looks very much like a Holden Commodore; perhaps V8 Supercars are also coming to RaceRoom 8)
Doesn't *quite* look like a Commodore to me. Though I'm nowhere near as familiar with their shape as I used to be, so it could well be. Is that livery something Supercars-ish?

Arucardo

modified g25, sold it for more than i bought it for (4 years ago) lol, trusty servant and still felt great. got a t500 rs on its way (not looking forward to the downgrade in pedals from my modded g25), will get some clubsport v2 pedals and th8 shifter at some point too but that's probably a fair way down the line

There's a load cell mod for the T500 pedals too.

paskowitz

IMO should have gone CSR Elite + CSPs or CSRE pedals.

TJP

Doesn't *quite* look like a Commodore to me. Though I'm nowhere near as familiar with their shape as I used to be, so it could well be. Is that livery something Supercars-ish?
Have a look at the quarter panel on the SimBin picture, specifically at the intake/indicator light below the black and yellow decal and look at the following picture, specifically by the T in Toll:

HRT_Continental_full.jpg

Looks rather similar 8)

Shaneus

Oh damn, spot on! They'd better have the Falcons in there too.

It's fascinating to see how (seemingly) revered the Australian V8 Supercars series is around the world from a perspective other than our own. The whole world seems to like it!

Dilly

Banned
Oh damn, spot on! They'd better have the Falcons in there too.

It's fascinating to see how (seemingly) revered the Australian V8 Supercars series is around the world from a perspective other than our own. The whole world seems to like it!

What's not to like about V8's going round Bathurst?

Mascot

Dat noise.
Like Thor himself shitting angry pit bulls through the window of a drum factory.

bee

quick list of early pros and cons vs modded g25

pros

feels much sturdier, less toylike
forcefeedback is smooth and just in a different league, although you'd expect that for the price
lots of buttons on the wheel
pedals with the included brake mod fitted are equal to a modded g25 set (nixim brake mod, bodnar cable)
quieter than g25 (so far)

cons

pedals are HEAVY, good for use but tiresome to move around
wheel clamp is kinda lame and certainly not quick release like g25
paddle shifters feel like the weakest part of the package, don't care about them not moving, they just feel weak/cheap

very impressed overall, certainly a big step up wheel wise, pedals are about the same as my old setup which was a nice surprise. the paddle shifters let it down a tad but a th8 shifter is now high on my list of priorities because i think i can live without clubsport pedals for quite a while

Shaneus

What's not to like about V8's going round Bathurst?
Not a matter of what's to like (or not), just that with most sporting leagues/codes local to particular regions, one has no idea just how big they are outside of their country.

I'm glad it's massive overseas :D

Edit: What's that wheel, exactly?

Arucardo

Not a matter of what's to like (or not), just that with most sporting leagues/codes local to particular regions, one has no idea just how big they are outside of their country.

I'm glad it's massive overseas :D

Edit: What's that wheel, exactly?

It's a Thrustmaster T500 RS. Costs around 450e here and doesn't even come with a shifter :p .

1-D_FTW

It's a Thrustmaster T500 RS. Costs around 450e here and doesn't even come with a shifter :p .

Is that really an issue, though? Is there any shifter that's included with the wheel (for an even remotely decent price) that's any good? The G27 shifter is such a cheap POS plastic, I don't even hook mine up unless I need the buttons on it. Constantly reminding me I'm playing with a toy isn't worth the "authenticity" of using a grated shifter.

Although there are some high quality metal shifters out there that I could see myself eventually buying.

Mascot

Is that really an issue, though? Is there any shifter that's included with the wheel (for an even remotely decent price) that's any good? The G27 shifter is such a cheap POS plastic, I don't even hook mine up unless I need the buttons on it. Constantly reminding me I'm playing with a toy isn't worth the "authenticity" of using a grated shifter.

Although there are some high quality metal shifters out there that I could see myself eventually buying.

Agreed about the G27 shifter. I found it so slack and imprecise it was totally unusable.
The Fanatec Porsche shifter isn't a bad budget option. With a few easy mods it's more than serviceable. Not sure if it works with non-Fanatec wheels though.
Fanatec seem to have shelved their Clubsport shifter project if the total lack of progress reports and no-show at E3 is any indication.

bee

it's a lot cheaper here, cost me £312.50 delivered and i sold my modded g25 for £150 so not too bad. th8 shifter is £92, gotta be worth it imo, again it looks in a different league to the g25 one which as has been rightly pointed out already, is complete shit :p

Shaneus

Are there decent enough aftermarket shifters that have buttons on them? What sort of figure do they fetch?

I'm pretty happy with the pedals after doing the GT-EYE spring upgrade/mod, but wouldn't have a fucking clue how much a good H-shifter would cost.

Arucardo

I was mainly joking about the shifter part, hence the ":p". The CSR shifers from Fanatec are quite nice for the price but I'm sure you can get the same feel with the regular Fanatec shifter if you switch the knobs to better ones. Will be interesting to see what the Fanatec Clubsport shifter ends up being.

Are there decent enough aftermarket shifters that have buttons on them? What sort of figure do they fetch?

I'm pretty happy with the pedals after doing the GT-EYE spring upgrade/mod, but wouldn't have a fucking clue how much a good H-shifter would cost.
There's the Thrustmaster TH8 Shifter that's around 110-130eur I think.
http://www.virtualr.net/thrustmaster-th8-rs-shifter-review

If you really need buttons it's better to just get a button box separately.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah the standard Fanatec shifter are a bit on the cheap side (I didn't try the latest one tho). Since I only use sequential I'm fine with the fanatec one but I wouldn't want to use the H one!

Mascot

Yeah the standard Fanatec shifter are a bit on the cheap side (I didn't try the latest one tho). Since I only use sequential I'm fine with the fanatec one but I wouldn't want to use the H one!

Just swapping out the knob for a heavier aftermarket one makes a world of difference to the feel. This aluminium/carbon one cost me £5 from fleabay and took just a few minutes to fit (previously posted in the FM4 thread). The difference is night and day.

psmod4.jpg

psmod2.jpg

I have the CSR shifters and I can confirm that they are definitely on the cheap side. The sequential shifters does work well but I find gearing down with the h-shifter a crap shoot. It seems to get stuck from 5th to 4th and 3rd to 2nd.

I am anxiously awaiting the clubsport shifter though.

1-D_FTW

A couple of us have discussed it in this thread. I think it transforms the experience. Not only does a game like rfactor 1/iracing suddenly look really good at 1080P @60fps 3D, but more importantly than eye candy, it makes focusing on the horizon and judging corners much more intuitive and realistic. IMO it's the one genre where it not only improves the visuals, but has a real impact on the gameplay (in a very positive way).

It should be noted that if you're already a ghost, it's not going to make a difference. But if you're someone who finds there's a spacial disconnect when playing sims, the depth can really help you smooth out your lines.

1-D_FTW

I hear iRacing is great in 3D.

It is.

One time, since I was just going to observe a race, I figured I'd turn 3D vision off so I didn't have to wear the glasses. What a shock. Instead of these vivid cockpits, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The cockpits just looked like one big 2D sprite that had some funky toon shading going on. Couldn't believe how accustomed to the 3D I'd gotten and how bad the cockpits looked without it.

Still, it's all about the improved depth perception that helps with racing lines. That's why I'd recommend it first and foremost.

Top Bottom