• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

My favorite part of the whole Tiff thing is that someone on iRacing pulled out his profile.

His review was based after 8 laps of Lime Rock during a race in the MX5. During those laps he accrued over 25 incident points (off track = 1 point, lose control of vehicle = 2 points, cause a wreck with another car = 4 points). His fastest lap time around Lime Rock was 1:06 (average driver will easily get their time into the 0:59-1:01 range).

He didn't even give it a chance.
That's fucking shit. Six laps of anything is nowhere near enough to judge anything.

Kunos are behind Assetto Corsa and NetKar Pro, yes? Bravo to that dude for speaking his mind. That dude being the guy from Kunos, not Tiff.

TJP

Kunos are behind Assetto Corsa and NetKar Pro, yes? Bravo to that dude for speaking his mind. That dude being the guy from Kunos, not Tiff.
Let's not forget the sublime Ferrari Virtual Academy which is also the work of Kunos!

1-D_FTW

Having thought about it some more, it just wasn't a fair segment (for viewers or him). It's not like he was trolling.

It's long been my theory that the younger you start playing racing sims, the easier they are to get to grips. And that's because, aside from risk of death (admittedly huge), racing sims are a lot more difficult to drive than real cars. They may accurately emulate everything, but that's why they're so much more difficult.

If you're used to driving real cars, sims are missing a HUGE element: G's. Feeling what a car is telling you is such a large part of pushing a car safely. And in sims, it's just not there. So if he's used to pushing cars in real life, and doesn't know the sim analogs that are designed to help here, of course he's gonna suck at something like iRacing.

If they wanted to do a segment like this, they should have gotten a professional who had experience with consumer sims. Otherwise it was doomed from the start.

Shaneus

Or give him something with a more encapsulating field of view. It looks like he's only playing with one screen, which can be quite counter-productive when trying to simulate something with a wheel and a motorized seat.

paskowitz

Twitter conversation with Tiff. @AMP_US: @tiff_tv I just thought you should know that you have pissed off the entire internet with that racing video game piece on Fifth Gear...

@tiff_tv: @AMP_US Thought I was opening a large can of worms ... not my idea and it was researchers who picked the games!!!

Like I said... the producers were probably like "Tiff, we should do a piece on racing games. Here, do it this way." Tiff: "Ok" Producers: "Oh and you only have 60 minutes to try everything."

Will Assetto Corsa be available for the next-gen consoles?

I would love it to be, but to get on the consoles you need to be backed by a publisher and we don’t currently have one, nor are we actively looking for one.

:(

Blackbean needs to do the right thing and get this on all platforms, they also have to dump Milestone and give Kunos the WRC license.

_machine

Having thought about it some more, it just wasn't a fair segment (for viewers or him). It's not like he was trolling.

It's long been my theory that the younger you start playing racing sims, the easier they are to get to grips. And that's because, aside from risk of death (admittedly huge), racing sims are a lot more difficult to drive than real cars. They may accurately emulate everything, but that's why they're so much more difficult.

If you're used to driving real cars, sims are missing a HUGE element: G's. Feeling what a car is telling you is such a large part of pushing a car safely. And in sims, it's just not there. So if he's used to pushing cars in real life, and doesn't know the sim analogs that are designed to help here, of course he's gonna suck at something like iRacing.
Yeah, the lack of seat of the pants feeling is one of the reason why sims are usually not so easy to get into and feel weird for experienced real life drivers. But I do think most sims that I've driven are harsher than the real life cars even with the missing feel; driving fast just isn't really that hard until you get to pushing the car to it's very limit and driving as fast as possible. I think that limit just is hit too early in most sims; even at somewhat leisurely, but decent speeds slight mistakes can upset the car more than is imho natural. RBR, which I and my 2 rally driving friends (Finnish Rallisprint, and "Jokamiesralli") think is the most realistic racing game at it's best, is actually rather easy to drive at decent speeds, but the difficulty comes from the narrow and sweeping tracks.

Also, an interesting quote from Ian Bell regarding GTR2, which I think is amongst the easier sims:
I recall Henrik Roos (my co head at SimBin, not a bad word at all, I founded it after all ) constantly telling me that when he drove the real FIA GT cars they were very comfortable on and over the limit - in a way that we didn't capture with GTR and even with GTR2. He told me GTR2 was too unforgiving and that these cars can be drifted comfortably. He said it's not the fastest way around the track and it kills the tyres but that's how they handle. We failed to deliver that ease on the limit partly due to limitations (and what we later found to be a bug) in the ISI tyre physics code that caused the grip to 'fall off a cliff' at the limits.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, the lack of seat of the pants feeling is one of the reason why sims are usually not so easy to get into and feel weird for experienced real life drivers. But I do think most sims that I've driven are harsher than the real life cars even with the missing feel; driving fast just isn't really that hard until you get to pushing the car to it's very limit and driving as fast as possible. I think that limit just is hit too early in most sims; even at somewhat leisurely, but decent speeds slight mistakes can upset the car more than is imho natural. RBR, which I and my 2 rally driving friends (Finnish Rallisprint, and "Jokamiesralli") think is the most realistic racing game at it's best, is actually rather easy to drive at decent speeds, but the difficulty comes from the narrow and sweeping tracks.

Also, an interesting quote from Ian Bell regarding GTR2, which I think is amongst the easier sims:

All very good points.

mclaren777

www.youtube.com/watch?v=16A0ru7XjtE

What is the game they're showing at 15:34? It looks photorealistic from that angle!

That's the 1997 CLK GTR so it's probably rFactor 2 in the video.

And I think all games look more photo-realistic when you show them in video. Having washed-out colors and wonky contrast always produces that effect. For me, it's the reason I think iRacing looks more realistic than pCARS – the former has fantastic lighting and shaders, while the latter always looks overly saturated and cartoon-y.

TJP

Yeah, the lack of seat of the pants feeling is one of the reason why sims are usually not so easy to get into and feel weird for experienced real life drivers. But I do think most sims that I've driven are harsher than the real life cars even with the missing feel; driving fast just isn't really that hard until you get to pushing the car to it's very limit and driving as fast as possible. I think that limit just is hit too early in most sims; even at somewhat leisurely, but decent speeds slight mistakes can upset the car more than is imho natural.
Quality post _machine! I've used the same Ian Bell post on other forums prior to seeing it here. One other telling comment from Ian Bell posted on NoGrip was about Henrik having difficulty in performing donuts in his GT1 spec Viper in an effort to scare Bell. According to Ian Bell, some people don't realise how sticky racing slicks can be when hot and how much abuse it takes to get them spinning.

As for Tiff not liking FM4 and calling it unrealistic, I've knicked the following YouTube video link from RLLMUK in which a 'professional race driver with a record as impressive as Needell' plays Forza 4. He pretty much says the same things as Tiff did. Switch on subtitles because the test is in Dutch (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ENmnEd7EZd4

Megasoum

Banned
Oh...my CSR arrived at my local postal facility! Why do all my packages always arrive on fridays... Curse you Canada Posts and your week-ends off policy..argh

mclaren777

Would anybody like to guess which game these are from?

iLOkWMluJMsDV.jpg

iOi9Ljh9WRKey.jpg

Arucardo

Guess what the postal service brought me on Thursday ;) ?

It's so damn good, played some rFactor GT & Touring Cars mod at Targa Florio with it. Just need to find a better way to mount it on my stand so it's a little lower and closer to a real sticks placement. Already have something in mind but I just need to find the materials.

Also, thanks again for the tip leca.

Megasoum

Banned
Which mod? The one that converts it from a beta into a full game?

Also, this:
DXttu.png

Kinda looking forward to it!

About damn time! hahaha

Now if only I had a wheel to play it right now sigh.

My wheel went through customs yesterday morning and now it's sitting in a warehouse like 5km away from here but I can't do anything until monday....sigh

TJP

Which mod? The one that converts it from a beta into a full game?

Also, this:
DXttu.png

Kinda looking forward to it!

About time you bought it! Along with ISR and a few other selected reviewers, the fellows at SimHQ nave this to say about GSC 2012:

"Game Stock Car 2012 could well be the last great sim from the ISI / gMotor2 lineage. How fitting that this defining period in sim history should be brought to conclusion by some of the finest professional and community developers that helped sustain it for so long. While not the most comprehensive sim in terms of content and features, GSC does what it does brilliantly and is an outstanding example of the genre. At $19.90 USD it deserves a place on the shelf of every discerning sim racer."

http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports5/motorsports_166a.html

All you need to do is change the G27 wheel rotation to 540 degrees and in-game steering lock to 22 per Reiza's instructions on RaceDepartment (900 and 30 for the Camaro) and change the in-car wheel rotation to 540 via the Controller.ini file found in the GSC 2012 UserData\Your Username folder and everything is good to go.

leca

Guess what the postal service brought me on Thursday ;) ?

It's so damn good, played some rFactor GT & Touring Cars mod at Targa Florio with it. Just need to find a better way to mount it on my stand so it's a little lower and closer to a real sticks placement. Already have something in mind but I just need to find the materials.

Also, thanks again for the tip leca.

Nice, not a problem! Mine just arrived today. I'm looking forward to getting home and setting it up. Hmmm now to give it a whirl with a handful of games :D

Noticed the original link I posted for the TH8RS has returned to it's regular absolutely insane price! What a brilliant pickup.

I'm using a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe for my G27 and couldn't be happier - it's built like a tank & has quality fastners, it was easy to put together and it folds down for easy storage. Well worth the money.

Had my WSP a few days, really impressed.

Fully loaded it's a fucking monster, rock solid and weighs a ton, also the bar doesn't get in the way either. Got everything cable tied down (shame they show up aganst the orange) and the wheel's PSU mounted under the pedals, so much better than the mess it was before.

It came with an extra shifter plate too, I'm gutted I missed out on the Thrustmaster deal now.

bdMTu.jpg

All you need to do is change the G27 wheel rotation to 540 degrees and in-game steering lock to 22 per Reiza's instructions on RaceDepartment (900 and 30 for the Camaro) and change the in-car wheel rotation to 540 via the Controller.ini file found in the GSC 2012 UserData\Your Username folder and everything is good to go.
I don't bother with this bit because I turn the in-game wheel off. Even when it's accurate (1:1), I still find it distracting.

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit I have a working Fanatec wheel in my house!!! It took 6 months but it finally happened! Quick, pCARS, GSC, WRC, rf2...omg omg omg

TJP

How demanding in GSC2012? i currently can run rF pretty much maxed out without any mayor slowdowns, can i expect similar from GSC?
You should be able to - Reiza suggest having the shadows set to high for a noticable frame rate increase. Nvidia users may also encounter stutters with the course map on-screen, it's advised to turn it off. There are some great posts on RaceDepartment concrning tweaks and how-to's.

I don't bother with this bit because I turn the in-game wheel off. Even when it's accurate (1:1), I still find it distracting.
My G27 wheel isn't sitting as high as my screen, so I keep the in-game wheel on.

Megasoum

Banned
All those sim games (pCARS,rf2,iracing,GSC,etc) are really great as far as the driving goes (which is the most important part obviously) but I wish there was some games with a bit more structure.

All those games are basically time trials/multiplayer games.

I kinda miss the old toca games (even if they were not simulation games) for the crazy careers and stupid stories lol. Looks like that this is the kind of stuff they want to do in pCARS eventually which is great. Kind of best of both worlds situation.

Even the Forza/GT games on console, they don't have story but they still have a career structure.

paskowitz

All those sim games (pCARS,rf2,iracing,GSC,etc) are really great as far as the driving goes (which is the most important part obviously) but I wish there was some games with a bit more structure.

All those games are basically time trials/multiplayer games.

I kinda miss the old toca games (even if they were not simulation games) for the crazy careers and stupid stories lol. Looks like that this is the kind of stuff they want to do in pCARS eventually which is great. Kind of best of both worlds situation.

Even the Forza/GT games on console, they don't have story but they still have a career structure.

I wish there was an Codemaster's F1 style career in a GT or Forza type game. It would be awesome to go from a low level cup racer or autocrosser to a Le Mans Prototype driver.

TJP

Part of the beauty of PC sims is the openness - no need to grind for hours just to get a car you want however I do agree that the bare bones approach many games have can be a little tiresome.

The best games in the sim racing genre often have driving tutorials and/or schools and a decent career mode: RBR and GTR 1 & 2 spring immediately to mind. SimBin sans Blimey! Games and Reiza Studios seem to have forgotten about this aspect or don't have the resources to make career modes. SimBin games do give one the opportunity to run seasons either official or custom; GSC requires a mod from RaceDepartment to do the same.

Megasoum

Banned
I wish there was an Codemaster's F1 style career in a GT or Forza type game. It would be awesome to go from a low level cup racer or autocrosser to a Le Mans Prototype driver.

Part of the beauty of PC sims is the openness - no need to grind for hours just to get a car you want however I do agree that the bare bones approach many games have can be a little tiresome.

The best games in the sim racing genre often have driving tutorials and/or schools and a decent career mode: RBR and GTR 1 & 2 spring immediately to mind. SimBin sans Blimey! Games and Reiza Studios seem to have forgotten about this aspect or don't have the resources to make career modes. SimBin games do give one the opportunity to run seasons either official or custom; GSC requires a mod from RaceDepartment to do the same.

Yeah, pCARS should have all those things eventually (it has them on paper anyway) but we're still far from that.

mclaren777

And see, I really respected Forza 3 for letting me stay with the 200-300hp cars for five or six seasons. I had no interest in moving up to the faster cars and I really hope pCARS allows that same freedom.

1-D_FTW

Do you guys use any mobile telemetry apps?

I had an old demo of DashMeterPro for iracing and I finally gave it a shot. It's really cool and useful (at least for me). But it seems like there are a ton of different versions and you have to buy them all individually (iracing, rfactors, codemasters, simbin, etc).

Is DashMeterPro considered the best? Or are there equal alternatives? Preferably one that supports all games? Android by the way.

P.S. On the noob scale, I've finally retired from racing barefoot. I made an observation before that I raced better with shoes, but I finally tried again and my brake control goes from pretty erratic to completely natural. Doh! Oh, well. Better two years late than never.

Megasoum

Banned
Do you guys use any mobile telemetry apps?

I had an old demo of DashMeterPro for iracing and I finally gave it a shot. It's really cool and useful (at least for me). But it seems like there are a ton of different versions and you have to buy them all individually (iracing, rfactors, codemasters, simbin, etc).

Is DashMeterPro considered the best? Or are there equal alternatives? Preferably one that supports all games? Android by the way.

P.S. On the noob scale, I've finally retired from racing barefoot. I made an observation before that I raced better with shoes, but I finally tried again and my brake control goes from pretty erratic to completely natural. Doh! Oh, well. Better two years late than never.

I have iHud on my iphone. It's all right (you have to buy it for the different games too). I bought the rfactor one. It comes with a bunch of gauges and you can buy a bunch more. It works fine but they don't have the RPM gauge I really want. I want a F1 style RPM LED set. They only have one RPM LED set but it's the kind that start from both end and meet in the middle. I want a left to right one.... Anyway, I know I'm picky but whatever lol.

1-D_FTW

I have iHud on my iphone. It's all right (you have to buy it for the different games too). I bought the rfactor one. It comes with a bunch of gauges and you can buy a bunch more. It works fine but they don't have the RPM gauge I really want. I want a F1 style RPM LED set. They only have one RPM LED set but it's the kind that start from both end and meet in the middle. I want a left to right one.... Anyway, I know I'm picky but whatever lol.

Makes sense to me. That's kind of why I'm thinking DashMeterPro isn't going to be beaten. The RPM is totally customiable, but the default is left to right with a flash at the shift point (basically like the Cadicallic CTS-V dash). This is great for catching your peripheral vision's attention. Maybe purists would call it cheating, but it's nice and handy.

Plus, since I game in 3D, I don't want any hud on the screen. So it's nice to be able to see what my splits are.

Megasoum

Banned
Makes sense to me. That's kind of why I'm thinking DashMeterPro isn't going to be beaten. The RPM is totally customiable, but the default is left to right with a flash at the shift point (basically like the Cadicallic CTS-V dash). This is great for catching your peripheral vision's attention. Maybe purists would call it cheating, but it's nice and handy.

Plus, since I game in 3D, I don't want any hud on the screen. So it's nice to be able to see what my splits are.

They have a bunch of RPM options but only one with LEDs. The others are standard analogue gauges (they even have a Ferrari F40 one lol).

My goal was getting an F1 LED. So Green, red, blue or something similar like that. I asked the dev to add them but they never did it lol. AFAIK iHUD is the only option available on iOS. At least you have 2-3 different apps on Android.

1-D_FTW

They have a bunch of RPM options but only one with LEDs. The others are standard analogue gauges (they even have a Ferrari F40 one lol).

My goal was getting an F1 LED. So Green, red, blue or something similar like that. I asked the dev to add them but they never did it lol. AFAIK iHUD is the only option available on iOS. At least you have 2-3 different apps on Android.

Crazy. I can't believe Android finally has more apps than iOS for something.

That's basically how the RPM works with Dash Meter. It's a series of green, red, and blue LEDS. And then right before you're going to redline it, it flashes to catch your attention.

1-D_FTW

They recently added GTR 1 to Steam. There must be licensing issues with 2. Because I'm not seeing it for sale digitally from The Raceroom either.

Arucardo

Awesome, I guess I need to dig around and see if I can find my copy of GTR 2....Might have to buy it again, lol. My TrackIr 5 should be arriving this week too.

Megasoum

Banned
What on Earth have you done to the CSRE wheel rim Cowboy??? WHY?

Some people don't like the shinny plastic on the CSR rim. On the CSR-E you get some kind of rubber on it which looks all right (IMO anyway) but I've seen videos on youtube of used rims where the rubber was halfway gone from the wheel. A couple of weeks of heavy wear seems to be enough to destroy it.

On a side note, I think it look horrendous wiht that faux-leather thing hehehe.

Yeah guys it looks terrible I know but I play in the dark, the rim was creaking and I didn't like the smooth plastic feel so I covered it with tennis racquet grip tape.

Top Bottom