• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

And now I remember why I haven't loaded iracing up in so long. As someone who rarely races online, I just think rFactor 2 is the superior racing game. Call me insane if you must.
rF2's still beta though, isn't it? I'd kill for that game to be fucking complete!

Arucardo

When rF2 gets Targa Florio and Historic GT and Touring 2.0 it's going to the top of my list (I know both are making progress already).

Megasoum

Banned
Finally got a reply from Fanatec. They will RMA my wheel and send me a new one.

Anybody ever had to send back a wheel to Fanatec? I'm curious to see how it works for the shipping. To they send you a pdf to print pre-addressed and pre-payed or I have to pay the shipping for sending back my wheel?

Edit: Oops, sorry for double post. Didn't realize I was the last post already lol.

leca

Not sure about the g27 at all dude, but it is a stand alone usb device. So I imagine for PC use it would work without any dramas :)

In my case I'll be using wheel and shifter independent of each other.

leca

The only place I've seen it in Canada is NCIX and it's 199$ lol...

Thrustmaster products and impossible to find here and always super expensive.

Same story here in Australia. That shifter hovers between $199 and $300 depending on the retailer. Bit of a joke, I'm sure amazon are selling it well below cost price.

Looks like a damn solid product though, inside sim review gave it a bit of a thrashing, no need to take it easy on something that is pretty much solid metal :D

1-D_FTW

I hear you, decided to stop waiting and grabbed the Thrustmaster TH8RS instead for $90aud delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005LAL1PW/ozba-21

Hopefully it does the job :)

It's crazy how they sell a chrome one labelled PS3 (half the price) and then a black model labeled PC.

Considering amazon.com (US) labels the chrome model PS3/PC, I'd assume you're good to go with the "PS3" model.

Wish US amazon sold for that price. 60 comes out to 97 USD. That's a price I'd be tempted by.

Sorry to mention wheel stands again, is anyone using a Wheel Stand Pro V2 DX? Are they any good?

WSP are a little cheaper than the Rennsport and sell different shifter plates whereas I'd be stuck with Fanatec's shifters on the Rennsport.

They also come in orange!

TJP

Sorry to mention wheel stands again, is anyone using a Wheel Stand Pro V2 DX? Are they any good?
I'm using a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe for my G27 and couldn't be happier - it's built like a tank & has quality fastners, it was easy to put together and it folds down for easy storage. Well worth the money.

I'm using a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe for my G27 and couldn't be happier - it's built like a tank & has quality fastners, it was easy to put together and it folds down for easy storage. Well worth the money.

Nice, does the quick release on the centre post get in the way at all?

Arucardo

Crap....I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered that TH8RS shifter from amazon uk :|

80 eur delivered for this, that's less than the CSR shifter set I bought earlier this year. I just couldn't pass up on this.

EDIT: haha, it costs 180eur over here.

leca

Crap....I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered that TH8RS shifter from amazon uk :|

80 eur delivered for this, that's less than the CSR shifter set I bought earlier this year. I just couldn't pass up on this.

EDIT: haha, it costs 180eur over here.

Hahaha nice! I grabbed the regular Fanatec Shifter set, honestly disappointed doesn't even come close in describing how much I dislike it..... plastic and just horrible, especially for the price ($100ish aud). I should have realised before it arrived that it would have been a piece of crap.

I'm kinda crossing my fingers here that the TH8RS is rock solid and mounts perfectly to my rig. Glad to hear it was worth chiming in to post the link instead of lurking, man I need to post more here lol.

Arucardo

Hahaha nice! I grabbed the regular Fanatec Shifter set, honestly disappointed doesn't even come close in describing how much I dislike it..... plastic and just horrible, especially for the price ($100ish aud). I should have realised before it arrived that it would have been a piece of crap.

I'm kinda crossing my fingers here that the TH8RS is rock solid and mounts perfectly to my rig. Glad to hear it was worth chiming in to post the link instead of lurking, man I need to post more here lol.

Absolutely, thanks so much for posting about it. My wallet might disagree though, lol.

I'll need to think of something to mount it a bit lower on the rennsport stand I have, I'll probably end up doing something with the fanatec shifter adapter I have for it.

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of Fanatec, they released new drivers this morning.

Fanatec Drivers 142

They still haven't fixed the issue with the button mapping on PC with all the older wheels (PWTS/GT2/CSR).

It's probably more of a Firmware issue but since it's only happening on PC (AFAIK anyway) then they could probably fix it through the drivers.

mclaren777

I must be the only person in this thread who doesn't want/use a shifter or clutch.

I understand that it adds immersion, but for me, it also decreases the fun.

Arucardo

I must be the only person in this thread who doesn't want/use a shifter or clutch.

Heel-toeing with a car that has a H-gated shifter is a million times more enjoyable/fun for me than just paddling away.

Megasoum

Banned

I'm not a fan of a H Shifter but I love my sequential. Depends on the car of course. But for the "slower" cars a sequential is a ton of fun.

1-D_FTW

I don't use it because the shifter on the G27 is a world class POS. But I used to love the old steel shifters in arcade games like Daytona USA.

If I had a steel shifter (like the Thrustmaster), I'd definitely use it for the old muscle cars.

But I also just race sims by myself. So the fact it probably makes you slower wouldn't be an issue.

Orgun

I'd LOVE to be able to use a H shifter/clutch for cars that actually had it. Sadly I'm on a poxy DFGT

Arucardo

I don't use it because the shifter on the G27 is a world class POS. But I used to love the old steel shifters in arcade games like Daytona USA.

If I had a steel shifter (like the Thrustmaster), I'd definitely use it for the old muscle cars.

But I also just race sims by myself. So the fact it probably makes you slower wouldn't be an issue.

When you do it long enough you'll be just as fast if not faster than with a sequential or paddles. Optimal rev matching can make certain cars more stable than a sequential ever could. Also, just the feeling you get when you nail a corner with the involvement of all three pedals and a gear lever is incredible.

Heel-toeing is also worth learning with a sequential (it's how I originally learned it) if you have a clutch pedal.

1-D_FTW

When you do it long enough you'll be just as fast if not faster than with a sequential or paddles. Optimal rev matching can make certain cars more stable than a sequential ever could. Also, just the feeling you get when you nail a corner with the involvement of all three pedals and a gear lever is incredible.

Heel-toeing is also worth learning with a sequential (it's how I originally learned it) if you have a clutch pedal.

I can see this. I've suspected the bolded part, but the G27 shifter is such junk, I never could bring myself to seeing if it was true.

I'd really like a better setup, but I do appreciate the convenience of my DFP - I can clamp it to my desk and remove it again in less than 10 seconds. And the pedals, while awful, don't require much force and they just grip my laminate flooring with the rubber pads. If I had a more realistic set, I'd probably need to hard-mount them otherwise they'd slide around due to the much bigger forces I'd be putting through them, particularly if I was heel and toe-ing.

Arucardo

I'd really like a better setup, but I do appreciate the convenience of my DFP - I can clamp it to my desk and remove it again in less than 10 seconds. And the pedals, while awful, don't require much force and they just grip my laminate flooring with the rubber pads. If I had a more realistic set, I'd probably need to hard-mount them otherwise they'd slide around due to the much bigger forces I'd be putting through them, particularly if I was heel and toe-ing.

My Rennsport wheel stand is totally fine with the CSR Elite pedals. I don't have the pedals hard mounted (just a metal "stopper" behind them that comes with the stand) and they don't move about even when breaking really had. The load cell brake on the elites needs to be pressed HARD to get full breaking power too. The sensitivity is adjustable but even with the highest sensitivity it takes quite a bit of force to get 100% braking with them.

I thought about getting a cockpit/seat but I prefer the mobility of a stand more since I like to move it between two PC's and the living room (360/PS3).

Hmmm. I've never really considered a wheel stand, as it seems strange to place once in front of a desk. I have little need to move it around though, so if I had a load cell brake pedal maybe I'd just make some kind of 'stopper' to have the pedals pushing against the wall. The desk is quite deep, so the pedals are about 18 inches away from the wall.

1-D_FTW

http://www.lowes.com/pd_174006-1451...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

I'm not sure it'd work, but a lot of those shelf liner materials are very grippy. If you cut out a square (might wanna double bag it) and placed it underneath your pedals, it might prevent it from moving anywhere on a laminate flooring.

_machine

Any chance you drive a car with auto box?

In both real life and games I'm usually slower with a manual box (compared to sequential in games, auto in real life), but it's simply more fun and rewarding to shunt the gears at the right moment. It's hard to describe the feel, but it just adds so much. I'll definitely look into getting a proper manual when I get my next wheel. I saw the T500RS go for 300€ a while a go and that would've been fantastic coupled with the TH8, but hopefully next year I can get something comparable.

mclaren777

The menus are now 95% complete and fully localized (working on support for Asian and Russian characters). The graphics are now fully scalable and should work on low-spec hardware. The DirectX 11 build is around 80% complete but won't be released until after the DirectX 9 beta. Apart from adding additional features like being able to change the size of the HUD in game as well as toggling the driver and steering wheel on/off, I'm now focusing on MP testing with a growing group of testers and adding various driving aids for those playing with gamepads. There are a few other major features/surprises which I won't mention until the beta is released.

iT0kch3xbGB5f.jpg

mclaren777

Any chance you drive a car with auto box?

Yes, I find that I'm more consistent when using an automatic transmission, which translates into better lap times. However, when I race competitively in leagues, I do switch to the paddle shifters and refine the gear ratios on a track-by-track basis.

_machine

Yes, I find that I'm more consistent when using an automatic transmission, which translates into better lap times. However, when I race competitively in leagues, I do switch to the paddle shifters and refine the gear ratios on a track-by-track basis.
I meant in real life. Sorry, forgot to mention it. (I assume you responded on games?)

TJP

I can't wait to read the reactions of people after former professional racing driver & current 5th Gear presenter tried many of the current console and PC based sim/driving games. Suffice to say people who play Forza, GT and iRacing won't be pleased with what he said.

Shaneus

I can't wait to read the reactions of people after former professional racing driver & current 5th Gear presenter tried many of the current console and PC based sim/driving games. Suffice to say people who play Forza, GT and iRacing won't be pleased with what he said.
What's this in regards to? I must've missed something (or a picture was linked that's blocked at work that I can't see).

It's unfortunate that nobody has become a trusted, and continual voice in sim racing yet.

I'm not sure who's currently better at it - the racer with no game experience, or the gamer with no racing experience.

1-D_FTW

CARS?

I joke. Money's on rfactor 2.

Shaneus

Ah, I re-read what TJP wrote. Makes sense now. I'm looking forward to it if it's not Forza, GT or iRacing. I'd have to guess rF2 as that's the next biggest in the run of things.. unless it's something horribly out of whack like Shift or an NFS game.

"F1 2012 is great! I can't believe they're releasing so many free updates for it on PC! GOTY"

Top Bottom