• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Arucardo

Aren't most if not all of the car models taken from gt legends? You'd have to have a cd check to install the mod in AC like the Historix mod does right now for the rf version or build all the models from scratch. The historix team are getting rid of the gtl stuff for the rf2 version at least.

1-D_FTW

Hmm. You may be right about that. I just assumed because they didn't require a CD check like in Historix, it wouldn't be an issue if they wanted to take the mod over to Assetto Corsa (to help sales with his own game).

Arucardo

From what I read SimBin's terms allow using content from other SimBin games in mods for SimBin games (a lot of SimBin in that sentence...). Not sure if it holds for all mods but P&G has some pedigree so I'm sure SimBin is okay with it.

EDIT: Also, even with the base models being from GTL the work that's been done on them is huge so it's not exactly a copy & pase job.

1-D_FTW

Does anyone even know why GTR 2 is their only abandonware game? I see that 10TACLE Studios also published the original GTR and GT Legends. So why is it that Simbin got those rights and sells them on TheRaceRoom, but not GTR 2?

Megasoum

Banned
Does anyone even know why GTR 2 is their only abandonware game? I see that 10TACLE Studios also published the original GTR and GT Legends. So why is it that Simbin got those rights and sells them on TheRaceRoom, but not GTR 2?

Probably a weird licensing issue with some of the cars or even the music.

Licensing can be really weird sometimes. For example you can't buy Outrun on Xbox Live arcade anymore because of the Ferrari License....

There was one of the Hitman game too that was never re-released because of a licensing issue with one of the songs that plays in a level.

Arucardo

At one point either Gamersgate or Direct2Drive had an exclusivity deal for GTR2's digital distribution so it could be that too, don't know if it's still in effect.

EDIT: It was GamersGate (no longer available there though)
They sold it a few years back:
Leading PC digital distribution platform GamersGate announced today the exclusive rights to sell GTR 2 on www.gamersgate.com

1-D_FTW

Couple more thoughts from yesterday and P&G: Regretting not trying to buy that Thrustmaster shifter from Amazon.co.uk when I had the chance. And if Assetto Corsa's physics are supposed to be even better, can't wait to see the physics on the Lotus 49. Should be amazing.

It really is something, ain't it?

You know they've done something right when my only gripes with the game are the slight aliasing in things like the white lines (SMAA didn't help, will try FXAA later) and Alt+F4 doesn't work.

They've done a wonderful job with even transforming the old UI into something modern, especially since it's still techincally exactly the same. I would've liked some career progression a'la GTL, but the championships seem interseting enough and I'll be spending a lot of time with the game as soons as I get a new wheel.

Curse you:lol. I don't know if it's because Mid Ohio and Leguna Seca are a lot lower polygon than Barcelona, but you got me seeing that aliasing now. Not that it matters:)

TJP

I think the holdup was to do with the Ferrari licence as SimBin removed all the Ferrari's from their digital version of GTR 2. The release date went up on RaceRoom and was then modded (as in deleted) and it's never been offered for sale since. Another oddity is that GTR is available on Steam with all cars including Ferrari. FWIW, SimBin last posted about GTR 2 being available via download in May of 2011!

I wonder if Slightly Mad Studios had a say in this; Shift and Unleashed are running on modded version of GTR 2 according to the people behind the community patches published on NoGrip. According to Wikipedia, 'Blimey! Games, along with their publishers 10tacle Studios AG, signed a license agreement for the development of video games with automotive manufacturer Ferrari' in 2006 (probably Ferrari Racing Legends). 2006 is the same year GTR 2 was published and the last SimBin game with playable Ferrari's.

1-D_FTW

Was listening to the latest Bill Simmon's podcast (he had his father on) and they were joking about how the Boston Red Sox were suddenly a small market team. And how a real under-reported story was that the John Henry hedgefund had gone from being worth 2.5 billion down to 100 million. Wonder if this is going to affect iracing. Surely that game has to be profitable by now. It better be. Cause he probably can't have indulgent toys if things are as bad as they sound.

Was listening to the latest Bill Simmon's podcast (he had his father on) and they were joking about how the Boston Red Sox were suddenly a small market team. And how a real under-reported story was that the John Henry hedgefund had gone from being worth 2.5 billion down to 100 million. Wonder if this is going to affect iracing. Surely that game has to be profitable by now. It better be. Cause he probably can't have indulgent toys if things are as bad as they sound.

I'm from Boston, so yeah it crossed my mind that iRacing could become a casualty. Although I don't think it will. iRacing is just his pocket money operation. He's got some big-time assets in the Red Sox, Liverpool and to a lesser degree Roush Racing. If he needed a sizable chunk of money, he'd be looking to do something with one of those.

Shaneus

I don't see how it *couldn't* be profitable. And do that many people (who are quasi-serious sim racers like us on GAF) spend a lot of time in it? It seems like a massive commitment (both time and money-wise) for something you can't modify or tinker with.

_machine

I don't see how it *couldn't* be profitable. And do that many people (who are quasi-serious sim racers like us on GAF) spend a lot of time in it? It seems like a massive commitment (both time and money-wise) for something you can't modify or tinker with.
Would be some massive mismanagement if they aren't more than recouping running costs every month. The userbase has been pretty stable for a long time so they've had a lot of time to balance it all for profitability and since they've been pushing more DLC constantly you'd expect them to profitable as well.

Then again, they've been really trying to sell the game with all the promotions and discounted monthly fees, but I doubt it's about them struggling.

Watevaman

Anyone here have a TrackIR? I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure how useful they are in racing games alone. I'm looking into getting back into combat flight sims though so it would also be used for that.

Arucardo

Anyone here have a TrackIR? I've been thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure how useful they are in racing games alone. I'm looking into getting back into combat flight sims though so it would also be used for that.

It's all kinds of awesome. Bought a TrackIr 5 with the track clip a few weeks ago and going back to sims that don't support it like pCARS is rough. It's an excellent alternative for a three monitor setup and for me it doesn't disorient me like "look to apex" and other simulated head stuff does because you're controlling it yourself.

Can't wait for the trackir support in CARS, it improved my racing considerably in tight situations, no longer need to guess where the other cars are on a crowded track. Haven't even tried it with flight sims yet, heh.

Business

It's all kinds of awesome. Bought a TrackIr 5 with the track clip a few weeks ago and going back to sims that don't support it like pCARS is rough. It's an excellent alternative for a three monitor setup and for me it doesn't disorient me like "look to apex" and other simulated head stuff does because you're controlling it yourself.

Can't wait for the trackir support in CARS, it improved my racing considerably in tight situations, no longer need to guess where the other cars are on a crowded track. Haven't even tried it with flight sims yet, heh.

There's where it shines the most, really fantastic for your situationational awareness, can make aiming with guns a bit difficult though. I personally can't get used to it on racing sims.

Watevaman

How far is the sensor when you're using it in racing games? I know I'd be close enough for flight games, as my stick would be on my desk. But for racing games I use my Playseat which sets me back maybe 4-5 feet from my monitor and significantly lower than my normal desk chair.

Arucardo

How far is the sensor when you're using it in racing games? I know I'd be close enough for flight games, as my stick would be on my desk. But for racing games I use my Playseat which sets me back maybe 4-5 feet from my monitor and significantly lower than my normal desk chair.

I want the monitor to be as close to the wheel as it can so I'm sitting about 3 feet or so back from the monitor. The sensor mount has plenty of adjustments so height isn't an issue as long as you don't end up blocking the track clip.

1-D_FTW

I'm so addicted to Power and Glory I don't even skip the camera pan down the starting line or the warm-up lap. In fact, I was just noticing how when they pan down the starting line, I twist my head left and right to get a better glance at each car. And the warm up lap is such sound and fury (and pretty colors everywhere). Nothing can match engines from hell mixed with pastel paint jobs. I LOVE THE 70s!

Three60

Beta keys for RaceRoom Racing Experience are being sent these days, lots of people got it, I'm still waiting for mine :(

Gameplay video leaked showing Judd BMW on a hillclimb track > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Zzhz9Kk_tQE

Those unfamiliar with Georg Plasa's BMW 134 need to take a look at this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A4ujh-3bDnA < @ 1:45 OMG :D

You can sign up for beta here: http://cbt.raceroomracing.com/beta-signup/

EDIT: video is gone, will look for another one and post it..

TJP

Posting videos is against the agreed to NDA; I'm not surprised they are being removed (although one is still active on RD).

I'll be interested to read what people think of RaceRoom-RE.

_machine

Eww at those BMW lights. Just a texture... and I'm presuming they're not just stickers in real life like a NASCAR shell...
Caught my eye too, but they're stickers in real life too (looks just as stupid).

Looks much better than I expected and the hillclimb with the BMW could be very great. Not so sure about the whole RaceRoom thingy though, I tried the Race07 based previous one and it didn't really convince me, but I'll definitely give it a go eventually.

Has anyone got a clue on what do they use for physics? All their previous games have used a tuned version of ISI's gmotor2 so have they developed their own tyre model for RRE and GTR3 or are they still using it and just made serious modifications to the renderer?

Arucardo

That is SO Fanatec...unbelievable. They can barely do their own products so they buy others instead.
I know you've had a bad experience with one of their wheels but that's such a weird statement to make...

The creator most likely got a great deal on this. He was already having a bunch of problems with delivering the products on time to buyers and it had to be hand built.

First you complain about their own designs and when they license something that's already proven to be good you badmouth them again. I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with them but there's only so much a small company like Fanatec can do.

bee

bought gsc 2012, immense game! the mini, camaro and f3 are all absolutely fantastic, getting a lot of tracks for it from here http://www.m3challenge.webs.com/stockcar.html

think i may agree with some people that this is currently the best sim out there physics wise, still go back to iracing for any multiplayer though, everything else is dead or a nightmare to get working with version mismatches etc

leca

Picked up RACE Injection while it was still on sale, there are a number of racing games piling up on my PC but I'm ok with this. A few that absolutely shine, well I'll be playing them for years to come :).

Are there any must have mods that I should be getting for RACE?

TJP

Are there any must have mods that I should be getting for RACE?
About a million of them...RaceRedpartment and NoGrip have a great selection of decent mods.

A starting point are the True2Life car mods such as Porsche Supercup, DTM and V8 Supercar series.

Arucardo

Finished my mount for the TH8RS shifter on Sunday and played a whole lot of PnG3 with it. Attached it to my Rennsport stand by drilling a few holes in the G25 shifter adapter and attaching a curved piece of metal that I attached the shifter to. It's now pretty much where it should be in a real car and stiff enough to not bother me when playing (any movement comes from the stand itself and since the shifter is so far away it amplifies it a little, but not enough to be detrimental). Throwing in gears with it feels so damn good compared to the Fanatec CSR shifter.

Took me an hour or two to get used to the gates on the TH8, for some reason I kept going from 2nd to 1st in the same corner multiple times. I was a bit worried about going to 7th instead of 5th at first but when I got used to the movement, going to 7th feels like a real stretch. I've yet to try it in sequential but I'm waiting on the new version of F1-S-R F1 1992 mod for rF to give it a go.

1-D_FTW

My TH8RS shifter arrived yesterday. That is some good stuff.

Will have to try my T500RS tonight. I didn't unbox it yet, because Pazuzu had mentioned Amazon had sent him V2 (out of 5) and it was significantly off center to the left. Mine's off-center by a good inch. Wanted to see if it was correctable before I tore everything out of the box. Kind of regretting Amazon disabling cancel orders on Thanksgiving (at least for me) and not being able to follow my gut on this one. I had immediate buyer's remorse (QA related) and tried to cancel a couple hours later.

Who knows. Maybe it'll surprise me when hooked up. But from what I can see online, V2 seems like something that should have had a recall on it.

EDIT: Updated the firmware and recentered it. Had to, because the red stripe was showing as centered in the control panel, but clearly an inch left of center. After about an hour of racing it seemed less pronounced. After 2 hours of racing, it seems to be gone. I know where it was, I'm trying to feel it, but I just can't. Makes me wonder if the belt just needed to heat up and get things settled for a bit.

1-D_FTW

Ooh... that's a good thing, yes?

Means I can play Power and Glory, yes?

You need GTR2 for that. Means you can play historx for rfactor (although I'm not quite sure if that'll work for the cd check.)

The next version of historx is for rfactor 2 and doesn't need a check. Posted a screenshot a while ago in the rfactor 2 thread.

Shaneus

You need GTR2 for that. Means you can play historx for rfactor (although I'm not quite sure if that'll work for the cd check.)

The next version of historx is for rfactor 2 and doesn't need a check. Posted a screenshot a while ago in the rfactor 2 thread.
Awesome. I have rFactor2!

Has that actually been released yet or is it still "beta"?

TJP

GT Legends just got released on Steam for 11.99.
Decent price for one of SimBin's best racing sims. The good old days when Ian Bell and Henrik Roos were friends and business partners.

Pity the RaceRoom digital key isn't recognised by Steam 8)

Top Bottom