• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I cannot believe that GT Legends, although a very good sim, has been released on steam but GPL has not. Why has what is arguably the most important most iconic racing sim ever created, not been released on Steam? That is just crazy. Whoever owns the rights to GPL should be working together with Valve to make this happen ASAP!

1-D_FTW

Awesome. I have rFactor2!

Has that actually been released yet or is it still "beta"?

Still in beta. Maybe 2013? Posted about them licensing the Skip Barber car and Mercerdes SLR (50s). Remember reading one of them wasn't even going to be started on till 2013. So don't think it's anytime close.

Not that's it's a huge deal. It's pretty polished for what it is. Updates add more content that anything. Although I would prefer they added some kind of basic car setup sliders like rfactor 1 had.

Good god I'm in love with rFactor 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXyn5Yf1ww&feature=youtu.be

getting a racing wheel has been the best decision in my life lol

edit: new to rfactor and that's me after like a solid month of spinning out every turn

Is all that yellow supposed to be god-rays? Though maybe it was just at sunset or something, but I notice every once in a while the screen flickers and it disappears momentarily. Plus, it doesn't seem to change in intensity no matter what direction you're driving.

Is all that yellow supposed to be god-rays? Though maybe it was just at sunset or something, but I notice every once in a while the screen flickers and it disappears momentarily. Plus, it doesn't seem to change in intensity no matter what direction you're driving.

Actually, I think this is a bug. A very annoying one lol.

Not the only issue I have, but I guess it's all part of being in beta.

1-D_FTW

Actually, I think this is a bug. A very annoying one lol.

Not the only issue I have, but I guess it's all part of being in beta.

Do you have an AMD card? I've run rfactor 2 with a GTX 460 and 660ti and don't think I can remember it happening a single time.

If it's happening a lot, maybe you can report it for fixing.

_machine

Looks like I might be getting past this year without replacing the Momo since I fixed the pedals and I'm short on money so I'm thinking of maybe getting the T500RS next year. How are you guys liking it compared to G27 or Fanatec CSR?

Basically it comes down to the G27 being 220€ and it comes with the a shifter (I really want one even if it's not the most sturdy one) or the T500RS for 300€ once it hits the same sale (one in the fall and one around august). I might end buckling down and getting the G27, but try to convince me otherwise :)

EDIT: I also hunted a few used G27's and it's looking like a great option as well; I spotted one with a little over 1.5 years warranty left that sold for 160€. I guess it'll depend a lot on what my rent and living costs will be like when I move in.

Arucardo

For what it's worth, I'm never going back to a gear driven wheel like the G25/G27. Strictly belt driven for me, unless someone comes up with something even better.

1-D_FTW

Looks like I might be getting past this year without replacing the Momo since I fixed the pedals and I'm short on money so I'm thinking of maybe getting the T500RS next year. How are you guys liking it compared to G27 or Fanatec CSR?

Basically it comes down to the G27 being 220€ and it comes with the a shifter (I really want one even if it's not the most sturdy one) or the T500RS for 300€ once it hits the same sale (one in the fall and one around august). I might end buckling down and getting the G27, but try to convince me otherwise :)

EDIT: I also hunted a few used G27's and it's looking like a great option as well; I spotted one with a little over 1.5 years warranty left that sold for 160€. I guess it'll depend a lot on what my rent and living costs will be like when I move in.

I only spent the two hours with it so far. I'm not convinced it's bug free (yet), and I had some driving issues that I'm a bit puzzled by.

I also wasn't immediately blown away like I thought I'd be. But in the subtlety department, it's quite a striking upgrade. I felt like it was much easier to push the car to its breaking point (which possibly explains why I was spinning so often. I was pushing much more than I normally would). It's also incredibly smooth. Driving a straight line is so effortless and I was easily able to attack the corners. It's very easy to use the entire course and not have any panic about driving right on the edge of the track. It's just so smooth.

The G27 shifter is just something I could never adapt to. I would constantly shift to the wrong gear and it was a nightmare. Maybe it's something you could train yourself to use, but it's certainly not immediately accessible IMO. The Thrustmaster shifter, on the other hand, would have been right at home sitting in a Sega arcade machine. Not only do you get a satisfying thud with each shift, but the engineering makes it incredibly difficult to shift into the wrong gear.

paskowitz

New CSW drivers.

We have a new firmware available for the ClubSport Base with the following changes:

LED rev lights supported in PS3 games
Alternative button combination to switch to PS3 mode (select + the button in the middle between select and start)
Improved initialisiation routine
More steady FF characteristics
Better linearity of FF signals
New updater
New fan control

Please use this firmware only with driver 144 which is included in this package as well.

Changes:

Fixed an issue with RBR
Combined pedal mode added (for compatibility with WRC 3)

Please use this driver only with CSW or with PWX and CSR wheels with firmware of 750 or higher.

More firmware updates for other models to follow soon.

Some new shots of the Clubsport shifter.

Looks fucking massive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjrr4cN-Efk&feature=player_embedded

ltKyc.png

Watevaman

I should've gotten a Clubsport when they had that community test promotion. Looking at the prices now it would be years before I could justify it.

Do you have an AMD card? I've run rfactor 2 with a GTX 460 and 660ti and don't think I can remember it happening a single time.

If it's happening a lot, maybe you can report it for fixing.

Na I'm using a Nvidia 670 card. I've installed rFactor 2 release 125 and I have the same issue.

I'll get in contact with them, cheers.

1-D_FTW

I'm ashamed to admit that I have Shift in my Steam library, so I'm going to give that a download to see just how bad the 3D is. Apparently it's based more off Shift 1's renderer. And has the same 3D rating as Shift 1. So I guess that at least makes it better than Shift 2.

EDIT: DRM: Other DRM. Says it requires a broadband connection. Wonder just what kind of DRM they're using there.

TJP

Hm.

HMMMM.

Tempted, definitely.
And yet it took so much prompting for you to buy Game Stock Car 2012!! 8-P

Pictures posted on WMD: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...errari-by-SMS!&p=334407&viewfull=1#post334407 For those without access, it's being reported that FRL looks like NFS: Shift with the trackside bling removed. Handling report: 'I only drove 3 events, but I would say if anybody knows pCARS he/she won't have a problem, I would say it is a little more foregiveable than pCARS' - http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...errari-by-SMS!&p=334456&viewfull=1#post334456

Sadly, the DRM is said to be GFWL...

Megasoum

Banned
I heard that Test Drive: Ferrari Legend is a G4WL game? hahaha. Oh good old Atari...even on its deadbed they will still manage to find a way to fuck up everything.

Shaneus

I had to look back a few pages, but I remember that amar had great things to say about this game as it was on consoles. No idea if it holds up as well on PC but I'll be waiting for his opinion on it (if he decides to get it) before I jump in.

The only problem I'd have with it is that given it's by SMS and they're no longer associated with Ferrari... no patches post release (I guess).

TJP

Patches and patch requests come from the publisher; the developer creates patches at the requested of the publisher. Given Atari are the publisher of FRL, I say good luck with post-release patches. I know that Amar mentioned many issues with the 360 version that need patching and given my experience with both Race Pro and TDU2, I'm waiting for a Steam sale before buying FRL for the PC.

Steam FRL thread to watch: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211970/discussions/

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I've removed it from my Steam wishlist. If it goes on sale for 5.00 dollars and I have a moment of weakness, I'll probably cave. But between that awful video, GFWL, no patches, and my intense hatred of Shift, even Amar's glowing words have difficulty penetrating that.

Xanadu

Banned
Yeah. I've removed it from my Steam wishlist. If it goes on sale for 5.00 dollars and I have a moment of weakness, I'll probably cave. But between that awful video, GFWL, no patches, and my intense hatred of Shift, even Amar's glowing words have difficulty penetrating that.

i agree, the only reason i'd buy it (and i probably will) is due to the vast amount of amazing ferraris (that 275)

amar212

I know that Amar mentioned many issues with the 360 version that need patching ..

It was a PS3 version, but the issues are probably the same.

However, it is a great driving game underneath everything, I just hope you will discover the same magic of FRL I've discovered.

Great, great racer.

Xanadu

Banned
It was a PS3 version, but the issues are probably the same.

However, it is a great driving game underneath everything, I just hope you will discover the same magic of FRL I've discovered.

Great, great racer.

can you elaborate please? i love ferrari but the shift physics turn me right off

i wonder if we can use the PTMu physics mod too, i'd definitely buy it then

amar212

can you elaborate please? i love ferrari but the shift physics turn me right off

i wonder if we can use the PTMu physics mod too, i'd definitely buy it then

There is no Shift physics in this game. I hate Shift physics and I adore FRL physics. This game is not even close to the Shift physics and FFB handling - at least as long as playing with the wheel is concerned.

Both Shift and Shift 2 are literally half-playable with the wheel and complete sensation of tires and suspension is made crazy with constant oversteer and dramatic loss of grip for the front tyres without apparent reasons (vanilla versions). Also the crazy level of grip for rear tyres and constant traction-control for rear-axle also does not help.

Ferrari Racing Legends is sensational to play with the wheel, you have 1:1 linearity in 900-mode, the car is doing exactly as you would expect all the time and FFB effects for both tyres and suspension and track-surfaces are top-notch.

What I see as potential possiblity for this game is usage of all assets from Shift games (tracks most notably) and importing them to FRL engine.

Here are some of my writeups on FRL subject, feel free to check them (some of lengthy read but you will get a better picture why am I so damn impressed with this game on many levels):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41943840&postcount=237
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41980316&postcount=248
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42260844&postcount=256
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42302775&postcount=261

Also, here is the CP of my latest comment made about this game on SMS/WMD forums a month ago, I am c/ping it here because you can't read it there unless you are a member:

At this moment it has been almost 2 full months since I've downloaded FRL from PSN and started playing it on my PS3. In my previous posts in this thread I have already said multiple times how I like FRL more than I could even imagine, and today - with more then 40 playing hours invested in game - the feeling is same.

At this moment I have successfully reached the Modern Era, coped around 57% of game completion and earned a title of Champion. The road ahead me is long, because races are getting harder and more complicated and at this moment I am already trying to win one race for days now, and that particular race is my only reason for writing this post.

So Andy Garton - and all guys of SMS who were in charge of programming challenges for Ferrari Racing Legends - I have to say how I officially hate you and respect you in the same time. The race in focus is the 8th race of Prototype Season on Road America, so far the greatest testimonial to my personal and subjective love for this game and main reason why I sincerely consider it a greatest Unknown Racing Gem™ of this whole generation of platforms.

In order to explain why, I have to lay some groundwork at first place. Ferrari Racing Legends is one mean game which have some aspects you can't know about unless you opt to drive on Hard settings and drive it on maximum simulation options. Particular aspect in question here is tyre-wear, something you become aware of at one point of game when longer races with stronger cars begin and when you suddenly realize how there is something going on with your grip after the 4th lap of the race when you - of course - drive your car on 120% of potential, as we all usually do in video-games. Tyre-wear is something you actually never get to be informed about by game itself, you just realize it is there and start to live with it. But things gets very complicated once you step in the higher tier Eras, with 7-10 lap races and especially those that use vehicles with high-torque and high HP.

And that particular Road America race is one of those races. I am already 4 days into that race, where you start at the very final laps of imaginative endurance race of 50 laps, on lap 43. You are on 5th position, car is P330 prototype, and your mission is simple: overtake one particular car (3rd position) in order to get points for your team, but for Bonus challenge you have to finish 2nd and allow your team-mate (who drives on 1st place) to take precious points for his final score. AI is set to Hard. They are fast. Damn fast. Car on position #4 is 4 seconds ahead of you. Car on position #6 is 3 seconds behind you. And horror can begin.

I don't know how many times I've restarted that race, I think 20? 30? And it took me 2 full days to find a proper balance in getting into corners with enough speed but also enough grip to avoid even the slightest un-neccessary slipping - which is the main factor that eats the compound - to even come as far as lap 48 before completely loosing grip on front tires. In short, I was whole 2 lap short. Another 2 days and I somehow managed to find a balance to run more-less consecutive laps needed to maintain the gap from cars behind once I reach position #3 or #2, but I can only endure to very beginning of lap 50 before my tires are eaten-out. In one of the tries I was 3-corners short from final turn, but I knew I had no chance to survive the attack from car on #3 position that was on my rear for 4 laps. I didn't survive. Tires went over the cliff, P330 went into oversteer on the curb and I could only hit *Restart* again.

I know I can do it. I am aware I am losing precious compound mostly in the Carousel and on braking before Toyota Bridge and on Canada Corner because I clearly hear the squeel of tires and I know I have to find a way to save them for bit more. But at this point I still can't manage to do all 4 things needed in one consecutive 8-lap run:

- to catch and maintain 2nd position without losing too much compound in the process,
- to absolutely avoid any un-neccessary slip throughout whole race,
- to manage to run the lines in order to prevent pack in endangering both me and my team-mate, and
- to save the needed amount of compound for the last section of the last lap

Oh yeah, I somehow forgot to highlight this small detail: there is no graphical/visual showcase of tire-wear. None. Zero. It is all up only to your feel of grip, experience with the car, knowledge of the track and driving-skill you have to present in order to finish race on #2. What a damn great piece of challenge.

Congratulations SMS guys. I know you are very reserved about Ferrari Racing Legends from many reasons, but I really enjoy in what you did with this game. I have found dozen of various bugs so far, invisible walls that suddenly appear are special type of PITA and non-consecutive AI-levels in Career are a bit of a letdown and highlight in the same time. But this race.. this race.. Thank you for this race, because once I finally manage to finish it - and I know I will - it will stand in the Hall of Fame™ of my personal most thrilling experiences that driving genre has granted me with in past 20 years of my virtual driving escapades.

BTW Nice to see you back Xan.

As somebody who extensively played Shift and Shift 2, I think there's something "wrong" with the physics on FRL (at least, with a pad on the 360). I want to like the game (I completed all the Golden Era missions and even tried to get all the bonus objectives) but it pisses me off, something that no other racer has accomplished. It feels like the cars are steering with the back wheels.

disap.ed

I also have bought it yesterday (the PC version) and I really like it. The campagne mode is fantastic and the cars drive really well and believable (I am playing with Gamepad). I am looking forward for the career mode of pCARS even more now, I hope it can give us the same motivation and "just one more race" feeling like this one.

A major bummer is just a graphical bug, where trees (or the alpha part of it) are popping in and out just in front of you. Don't know if this is just me.

I really can't describe how underrated this game is, this is easily a 80+ game for me.

Type_Raver

Purchased Ferrari racing legends! Thanks Gaf for convincing me to spend more money, lol.

Now if only i could find the time to play this, pcars, mario U, blackops 2, develop my website, work and do the general everyday stuff....

1-D_FTW

Can I have Steam account although I do not have Windows PC at the moment (Mac here, PC purchase still in process).

Also, is Steam region limited (I live in Croatia so does it make a difference compared to other countries)?

Sure. Steam is available on PC, Mac, and Linux. And they have a mobile app for Android and iOS.

The store is region limited when purchasing, but with the exception of a couple places like Russia, you can be gifted items from cheaper countries if you have a friend willing to make the trade.

I wonder if that means they will sell GTR 2. They already have GTR1 and Legends.

Seems like they had to cut some material for the digital version. Wouldn't be surprised if it went live on the store in the next day or two.

markao

Can I have Steam account although I do not have Windows PC at the moment (Mac here, PC purchase still in process).

Also, is Steam region limited (I live in Croatia so does it make a difference compared to other countries)?
Doesn't Steam run on MACs? So you could create an account and it would work on both sytems, maybe ask in the dedicated steam thread on this forum.

Second question, see suggestion above, I have no clue ;)

1-D_FTW

And it should be noted that Steam's big Winter Sale begins December 20th. So unless you absolutely MUST play a racing title today, odds are it'll see a significant "catalog" sale beginning then.

Arucardo

A PnG 3 race night with GAF would be glorious. I really hope GTR 2 goes on sale in Steam.

Seems like they had to cut some material for the digital version. Wouldn't be surprised if it went live on the store in the next day or two.

Didn't most if not all Ferrari related content get cut? :\

Watevaman

They don't mention Ferrari but there are models in 2 of their screens. That's not good for prospective buyers, although I doubt there are too many new ones nowadays.

Top Bottom