• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

The two online keys from inside my GTR 2 GOTY edition case were accepted on Steam; now I have the digital versions of both GTL and GTR 2 (sans Ferrari's). For those interested GTR 2 is 1.4 GB and GTL is 1.6 GB.

Has anyone bought TD: FRL and would they please share their initial opinions. I'm still undecided due to GFWL...

Arucardo

Hey guys, GTR 2 is now on sale in steam for 9 eur (probably 9usd) or you can buy the SimBin mega bundle (literally has everything along with GTR 2, GT Legend, etc). If nothing else I HIGHLY recommend buying GTR 2 for the PnG 3 mod, it's sublime.

I'll personally wait for the steam xmas sales to see if the SimBin bundle has a nice price drop.

EDIT: also the megabundle is 35 eur/usd

1-D_FTW

It's 11.99 in the US. Same as GT Legends. Neither of them are on sale, that's just the price Simbin set on them here.

Has it been confirmed you can use the Steam version in CD checks for Historix (GTL) and P&G 3.0 (GTR2) mods?

Arucardo

I just meant it's sold on steam now ;)

In other news, just renewed my iRacing sub for a month to try it out with TrackIr and the load cell brake.

_machine

I think it's missing both Ferraris and Porsches, at least looking at the car list on Steam. Hopefully someone finds a way to mod/unlock them easily.
P&G 3.0 (GTR2) mods?
P&G 3.0 doesn't have a cd-check, but the previous ones do.

EDIT: You're not the only one having brainfarts; I thought you meant the GTL cd-check for the mod. Like Arucardo said, you just need to point to the GTR2 files and that should works just fine with the steam versions.

Arucardo

I think it's missing both Ferraris and Porsches, at least looking at the car list on Steam. Hopefully someone finds a way to mod/unlock them easily.

P&G 3.0 doesn't have a cd-check, but the previous ones do.

Yeah I recall it just needing you to point to a folder that has GTR 2 installed to get some data from (tracks and stuff)

Xanadu

Banned
There is no Shift physics in this game. I hate Shift physics and I adore FRL physics. This game is not even close to the Shift physics and FFB handling - at least as long as playing with the wheel is concerned.

Both Shift and Shift 2 are literally half-playable with the wheel and complete sensation of tires and suspension is made crazy with constant oversteer and dramatic loss of grip for the front tyres without apparent reasons (vanilla versions). Also the crazy level of grip for rear tyres and constant traction-control for rear-axle also does not help.

Ferrari Racing Legends is sensational to play with the wheel, you have 1:1 linearity in 900-mode, the car is doing exactly as you would expect all the time and FFB effects for both tyres and suspension and track-surfaces are top-notch.

What I see as potential possiblity for this game is usage of all assets from Shift games (tracks most notably) and importing them to FRL engine.

Here are some of my writeups on FRL subject, feel free to check them (some of lengthy read but you will get a better picture why am I so damn impressed with this game on many levels):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41943840&postcount=237
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41980316&postcount=248
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42260844&postcount=256
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42302775&postcount=261

Also, here is the CP of my latest comment made about this game on SMS/WMD forums a month ago, I am c/ping it here because you can't read it there unless you are a member:

BTW Nice to see you back Xan.
thanks for that, will definitely pick it up

For owners of GTR(2)/L and a Steam account:

SimBin insider
it said my code is invalid..hm

markao

thanks for that, will definitely pick it up

it said my code is invalid..hm

You did use the right code and entered it without the dashes?
To add these games to your Steam game library you’ll need the multiplayer lobby code which was provided with your retail version

*Please note: You will need to enter your code without the dashes.

TJP

Seems you can use the Porsches and Ferrari's in GTR 2 after all 8)

One just needs the two official GTR 2 patches and another often used 3rd party file for the DVD version. NoGrip has the information on how to get the Porsches and Ferrari to work in the digital verison.

Shawsie64

Banned
shot_ss_1_screen_full.jpg

shot_ss_2_screen_full.jpg

shot_ss_4_screen_full.jpg

Based on the groundbreaking McLaren MP4-12C road car, the McLaren MP4-12C GT3 marries Formula 1 and innovative road-car technology to create a state-of-the-art racing sports car. The McLaren MP4-12C GT3 utilizes the same carbon MonoCell chassis as the 12C road car, along its 3.8 liter McLaren V8 twin turbo M838T engine, albeit detuned to 500 bhp in accordance with FIA regulations. The 12C GT3 features a six speed Ricardo gearbox and an aero package developed in McLaren’s F1 simulator together with the engine calibration, power steering, spring rates, weight distribution, gear ratios and differential settings.

The MP4-12C GT3 made its competition debut in the British GT Championship at Spa-Francorchamps in July, 2012 and, with 25 models in the hands of a number of private teams, went on to score 19 victories across Europe in a variety of championships that same season, including FIA GT1 World, Blancpain Endurance Series and Avon Tyres British GT as well as the 24 Hours of Barcelona.

Impressions on the forums are extremely positive and while I haven't driven it myself yet people are saying the new steering model is a game changer for iracing. The car feels like a GT car and there is no more 'ice' feeling that some of the cars in iracing suffer from.

This was posted by Tony Gardner in the thread, looks like all the cars will be getting the new steering model next season (January)

Tony Gardner

Club: Massachusetts

Glad people seem to like it!!! it is fun for sure! We tried not to hype it and certainly over-hype it to members.

Will take the same approach with build at the end of January. That said, we expect just about all cars to drive AND sound better next build. That is all I have to say about that for now until closer to build.

Will say that the improvements to steering model that are on the McLaren should be on just about all cars for next build. Does seem to make a bigger positive difference on some cars versus others.

DD

GT Legends and GTR 2 are both 70 percent off for the Steam Winter Holiday sale. 3.60 each in the US.

I have Race 07 and all of it's expansions. Should I buy GT Legends or GTR 2? How's the wheel and controller support?

Does it use the same engine? I'm asking this beacause I'm facing awful framerate drops when there are other cars on the screen. It's a bug, probably some issue with a new driver. I can't play it anymore. Only time trials... =/

1-D_FTW

Honestly the best reason to buy GTR 2 is for the Power and Glory 3.0 mod (although I'm gonna have to see if it actually works this way). Physics and FFB are great in that.

Best reason for GTL is probably for the rfactor Historx mod (although the newest Historx mod is going to be released for rf2 and doesn't need a cd check for it).

Not sure about resource heavy. These games are very light in the requirements. You can download a GTR 2 demo from the web if you wanna try first.

GTL has a demo, but it only works on XP because of a suckyrom security check (not an issue with the Steam version).

DD

Honestly the best reason to buy GTR 2 is for the Power and Glory 3.0 mod (although I'm gonna have to see if it actually works this way). Physics and FFB are great in that.

Best reason for GTL is probably for the rfactor Historx mod (although the newest Historx mod is going to be released for rf2 and doesn't need a cd check for it).

Not sure about resource heavy. These games are very light in the requirements. You can download a GTR 2 demo from the web if you wanna try first.

GTL has a demo, but it only works on XP because of a suckyrom security check (not an issue with the Steam version).

Thanks for the info.

Shaneus

So what am I buying? I'd had everything SimBin on Steam as of a few months ago (last sale) so I'm not sure what else was new that I need. I guess GT Legends and GTR 2?

And they'll be enough to play P&G?

Megasoum

Banned
So what am I buying? I'd had everything SimBin on Steam as of a few months ago (last sale) so I'm not sure what else was new that I need. I guess GT Legends and GTR 2?

And they'll be enough to play P&G?

You just need GTR2 to play P&G which is 3.60$ right now.

paskowitz

For those that have not tried it, rF2 with the Skip Barber at Lime Rock is fantastic. To say it is better than iRacing would be an understatement. The FFB with the CSW is phenomenal. Everything comes through crystal clear. If you mess up, you know why. I cannot wait until WSGT2 comes out.

Prophane33

I own every Gran Turismo, but out of my 200-ish PC games I own no racing sims. I'm aware that even GT is not in the same realm as PC racing sims; however, since they are greatly discounted as of today I was trying to decide between GTR2 or Race Injection w/ GTR Evolution expansion. Any suggestions?

Shaneus

You just need GTR2 to play P&G which is 3.60$ right now.
Sweet. And GT Legends? Do I just get that because it's good?

I love that SimBin haven't joked around at all and they've just jumped to 70% right away. Good on 'em.

Sadly, no discount at all (to start with) on Ferrari Racing Legends :(

bee

glad to see so many people enjoying P&G, been playing it since 1.0, one of the very best mods i've ever played

For those that have not tried it, rF2 with the Skip Barber at Lime Rock is fantastic. To say it is better than iRacing would be an understatement.

I certainly don't get the same impression, why do you think it's much better?

bought the mclaren and it's superb, can see this car being very popular indeed, it does feel much more planted as has been said on the forums, looking forward to the update being rolled out for all cars at the end of january

TJP

For those that have not tried it, rF2 with the Skip Barber at Lime Rock is fantastic.
+1 I love the combo too although I've no idea if it's better than iRacing. All I know ISI worked with Skip Barber to make the car as accurate as possible, much like they did with the Formula 2 working with the F2 designer.

1-D_FTW

I own every Gran Turismo, but out of my 200-ish PC games I own no racing sims. I'm aware that even GT is not in the same realm as PC racing sims; however, since they are greatly discounted as of today I was trying to decide between GTR2 or Race Injection w/ GTR Evolution expansion. Any suggestions?

The absolute best thing is the Power and Glory 3.0 mod with GTR 2. So IMO GTR 2 is the best Simbin game you can currently buy on Steam.

I would say that if you have GTR2 you no longer need GT Legends because of P&G3.

The only * would be if they suddenly changed their mind with the next Historx mod. It's supposedly not required for the rf2 version, but if it is, I'll pick it up. But unless they announce a reversal, I feel no need to get the Steam version. Even for 3.60.

AzerPhire

Is there anything on PC that offers a similar single player experience to PGR 3/4? I am looking for a good racing game to play with my G27 that offers a fun single player but most games seem to only shine in multi-player.

Shaneus

Possibly Driver San Francisco. I'm not sure how that'd handle with a wheel, but I imagine it'd be pretty fun if it was supported officially. Otherwise, yeah... probably Shift or maybe Most Wanted (though I'd stay away from that for now, the PC performance is atrocious).

1-D_FTW

Shaneus

Honestly, if I was looking for something PGR4-ish, I wouldn't even be bothering with any kind of wheel... sort of takes away from the game's relaxed approach to physics etc. Shift is definitely wheel-worthy, but Driver SF is a step closer to arcade (for the better IMO). Vastly underrated and a hell of a lot of fun.

_machine

Possibly Driver San Francisco. I'm not sure how that'd handle with a wheel, but I imagine it'd be pretty fun if it was supported officially.
It's a fantastic game, but I'm not sure how it would play with a wheel even if it'd support one properly; it requires pretty fast lock-to-lock steering and I don't know if a FFB wheel is fast enough to be as good as pad, the Momo sure as hell isn't.

As for the Steam sales, I recommend picking up GTR2 for the P&G3; it's simply fantastic and much as I loved GTL it's pretty much made it obsolete and since I haven't tried GSC12 yet I think I'd rank it as best physics in any game. Graphically it's not too bad either, just needs some heavy downsampling and SMAA, but otherwise it has that nostalgic and clean look.

1-D_FTW

Wow wtf... Test Drive: Ferrari Legend is 7.50$ on Gamersgate right now!

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TDUFL/test-drive-ferrari-racing-legends

Anyone know what the DRM is? Is it running through Live? Atari? They don't really say.

What's crazy about the price is everyone was listing retail as 29.99 but Steam. Steam had that lousy 25 percent pre-order promotion on a list price of 39.99 (so 29.99). And now it's sitting at 39.99 with no holiday discount.

I'd totally hit that if it were the Steam version. Anyone wanna take the hit and report how bad the DRM is?

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone know what the DRM is? Is it running through Live? Atari? They don't really say.

What's crazy about the price is everyone was listing retail as 29.99 but Steam. Steam had that lousy 25 percent pre-order promotion on a list price of 39.99 (so 29.99). And now it's sitting at 39.99 with no holiday discount.

I'd totally hit that if it were the Steam version. Anyone wanna take the hit and report how bad the DRM is?

It's not a steam version and it uses G4WL.

Top Bottom