• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Three60

So did Kunos put that up there? Because it sometimes feels like community members put something up there. And then even when it gets Greenlit, they simply state they've contacted the developer to see if they want to do it.

I'd so prefer to purchase on Steam. Especially if this meant activations were handled via Steam DRM.

Yeah, its official, Stefano from Kunos put it on his twitter..

EDIT: Darkdeus was faster :)

Shaneus

Will definitely vote for it. But we all know how shitful Greenlight is. At least, those of us who follow Pinball Arcade's progress :/

1-D_FTW

The PC gaming is a growing and Logitech has a strong core competency in key peripherals for this market. If a gaming peripheral works with a PC it would be included as part of our strategic focus.

http://www.virtualr.net/logitech-the-era-continues

The Inside Sim Racing guys did some work to get to the bottom of things, and Logitech gave them the following quote. Seems like the G27 is safe after all. Now bring out that Fanatec/Thrustmaster belt competitor:)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys - got a question.

I'm a casual sim player and use my 360 controller to play. Which sim would you all say plays "best" on a controller vs a wheel?

Started to give iRacing a try, but it looks like the races you do are restricted to the season schedule. Can't I just get together with random people and do a regular race, like in any other multiplayer game?

EDIT: Never mind, not willing to pay for all this DLC to keep up with a restrictive season schedule.

Hey guys - got a question.

I'm a casual sim player and use my 360 controller to play. Which sim would you all say plays "best" on a controller vs a wheel?

Try a few demos like Live For Speed, NetKar Pro and GSC 2012.

I haven't played them with a pad, can't see them being easy to steer though compared to Forza or GT.

Polyphony

I don't think PC racing sim developers give as much thought to controllers as console devs. So the default input filtering settings might be a mess. The first time I tried rFactor with a Logitech Rumblepad 2, I would send the car spinning at the slightest input spike.

TJP

Any of the SimBin titles have Xbox controller support - demos for Race 07, GTR 2, GT Legends and the free to play RaceRoom RE are available.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks guys - since I'm doing a lot more on my laptop, controller support is pretty important to me. I'll check out some of these demos.

1-D_FTW

/\/\

As someone with zero interest in Nascar, that actually is a very good video.

Thanks guys - since I'm doing a lot more on my laptop, controller support is pretty important to me. I'll check out some of these demos.

Probably better off looking for sim-arcade games. If pCars has reopened pre-orders, you might wanna check that out. It's focus is actually a good thing if you're controller only.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Probably better off looking for sim-arcade games. If pCars has reopened pre-orders, you might wanna check that out. It's focus is actually a good thing if you're controller only.

I've got nothing against arcade style racers. In fact, it may be more fun for me to play a sim-arcade since I'm at a disadvantage using a controller.

I tried RaceRoom. Maybe I needed to do more calibration, but the handling felt super awkward with my controller.

I think I just need a game that handles more sim-like. I've been playing NFS:MW on my Vita. The controls just don't feel right - there's NO benefit to taking corners like you do in GT. The handling is so heavy and drifty. I LIKE having to slow down and cut the corner, or having to pick a line. I don't like having to "drift" my car around every turn. I'm hoping one of these other demos pulls through!

I still need to take the time to build a mount for my wheel. Up until now I've been just playing NFS Hot Pursuit with the wheel, which is fun but I want lap racing and I have a copy of GT 5 that I haven't even touched yet.

Spookie

Voted but only to get a free demo onto Steam.

I voted if only to have more Sims on Steam. Thinking about iRacing I'm cancelling my sub. I still don't know why they charge a monthly sub when Dota 2 has the exact same amount, if not more, of tracking and matchmaking for free. AC has spoiled me I don't want to pay for content.

Arucardo

I'd like to know more about the iRacing steam integration before I give it my vote. Right now I'm fully expecting it to just open Steam's browser to play it and probably just update the client through steam.

EDIT: Here's what they said about it:

From iRacing:

Again, if we added Steam, it would just be a distribution point. There is no way we would agree to have them exclusively take over updating etc and force people to Steam. In other words, as some have suggested, absolutely nothing would change and your updates would be through us, not them. You would not deal with them at all. Most new people would still directly come through us anyway. Ideally what we envision if we could work something out is simply a package offer or two through them, they get their split and would be a one-time install/download from them. After that, everything through us. Certainly worth exploring, they are good at what they do and built up a very big market place.

1-D_FTW

I'd like to know more about the iRacing steam integration before I give it my vote. Right now I'm fully expecting it to just open Steam's browser to play it and probably just update the client through steam.

EDIT: Here's what they said about it:

To be honest, I'm not expecting AC to be any better. I'm sure it's be using the Kunos client and DRM instead of Steam.

Started to give iRacing a try, but it looks like the races you do are restricted to the season schedule. Can't I just get together with random people and do a regular race, like in any other multiplayer game?

EDIT: Never mind, not willing to pay for all this DLC to keep up with a restrictive season schedule.
The basic subscription gives you all the cars and tracks required to get started. Depends on what you're looking for in a game - if you need a huge number of cars and tracks from the start to get your enjoyment, iRacing is not for you, not even if you could afford to buy everything up front. iRacing's 'value' is focused on the quality of the racing, not on the content.

If good racing is your priority, you only need one car and one track, and the MX-5 cup is a good place to start. The fixed schedule is an important part of getting the mindset right. Because you are forced to wait, you feel like you should make the most of your time, and you drive more sensibly compared to more racing games where you mess up and think 'meh, I'll just jump on another server'. It's very annoying when you crash out and think 'great, now I have to wait an hour'. This becomes all the more significant as you progress to higher classes, where the gaps between races are several hours or even days. At the start it might seem restrictive compared to other games, but it's just more like real racing. If you treat iRacing as a real life racing subscription, you should get more enjoyment out of it.

Arucardo

To be honest, I'm not expecting AC to be any better. I'm sure it's be using the Kunos client and DRM instead of Steam.

Have you played NKP or the AC Tech preview? Asetto Corsa on steam makes a lot more sense than iRacing does, it's a "complete" client that most likely will be launched and updated through steam, here's what the AC team said on their greenlight page:

Why Assetto Corsa on Steam is good for you:
- Fast downloads
- Extensive customer care support
- Join a larger racing community: more players, more contents, more licenses!
- Help KUNOS dev team grow and improve AC with more contents and features for a long-term period
- Bigger community lower prices for additional contents

Support this project, join Assetto Corsa today!

this to me seems like a better option than what iRacing's goal on steam is, which right now seems more like a cash/advertising grab than offering any benefits from being on steam. Hell, they said it themselves, you MIGHT do an initial download through steam and then all of it is through the iracing website as it is now, updates and all.

1-D_FTW

Have you played NKP or the AC Tech preview? Asetto Corsa on steam makes a lot more sense than iRacing does, it's a "complete" client that most likely will be launched and updated through steam, here's what the AC team said on their greenlight page:

this to me seems like a better option than what iRacing's goal on steam is, which right now seems more like a cash/advertising grab than offering any benefits from being on steam. Hell, they said it themselves, you MIGHT do an initial download through steam and then all of it is through the iracing website as it is now, updates and all.

No. I'm day one-ing the game, but for various reason just skipped the tech demo. I can't remember what NKP was like when I tried the demo all that time ago. I just assumed it was going to be something like rfactor 2. That's obviously better than how iracing can function, but the ideal is still to have all authentications occur through Steam.

Spookie

If good racing is your priority, you only need one car and one track, and the MX-5 cup is a good place to start. The fixed schedule is an important part of getting the mindset right. Because you are forced to wait, you feel like you should make the most of your time, and you drive more sensibly compared to more racing games where you mess up and think 'meh, I'll just jump on another server'.

Horseshit. I've seen plenty of people ram other people up the arse because they aren't paying attention in the rookie races, hell even the rookie 3.0 races people still ram you in the back because they can't brake correctly. I'd go far to say that 8/10 races you will see people get spun out on the first corner and within the first lap someone will have rammed someone else coming off a straight.

iRacing is just as shitty as every other racing game online. It may get better in higher rankings but if you aren't great, or new, you're going to have a fucking miserable experience.

markao

Horseshit. I've seen plenty of people ram other people up the arse because they aren't paying attention in the rookie races, hell even the rookie 3.0 races people still ram you in the back because they can't brake correctly. I'd go far to say that 8/10 races you will see people get spun out on the first corner and within the first lap someone will have rammed someone else coming off a straight.

iRacing is just as shitty as every other racing game online. It may get better in higher rankings but if you aren't great, or new, you're going to have a fucking miserable experience.
Of course people need to get used to it and for people new to the sim or simracing in general this might take a few weeks/months. But the moment you leave the Rookie level, the racing is so much better than any other non organised racing, in any other online racing (sim).

And if sim-racing had the appeal of games like Dota or TF2 and the member count that comes with them, no doubt that the prices for the content would be lower as result. Unfortunately for us hardcore simmers, that number is not there so we have to pay for it, but in case of the quality of racing I got from it, it was definitely worth it.

That was never my experience, in fact it was the complete opposite. Even at Rookie level, at least 80% of the racing was clean. Yes, there are always first corner incidents even at the highest level, but there are ways to anticipate and avoid them in many cases. It also helps if you qualify near the front, or start from the back. And you can rank up very quickly if you follow the rules. If you aren't great or new, you need to get better in test mode or time trialing before jumping in to races. And when you do attempt a race, just take it easy. The trouble-makers tend to grosjean their way into the first corner, so hang back, let them all spin out, and cruise past. I was in the top 5 of my rookie races almost all the time, and I don't remember doing any overtaking. People just wiped out, either on the first corner, or about three quarters of the way through the race when they're starting to lose concentration so I just gained places. Slow and steady might not win the race, but in the case of iRacing rookie level, slow and steady puts you in the top 5.

Arucardo

From the AC facebook :D :

attachment.php

Spookie

That was never my experience, in fact it was the complete opposite. Even at Rookie level, at least 80% of the racing was clean.

Well it's not the case for me in the 900-1000's I just don't have the time for it. I invest most of my hours in to Dota 2 and it's bad enough dealing with dickheads in that game but at least in Dota 2 I can swing things in my favour by queuing with GAF. I don't want to have to invest hours into iRacing just get out of the trench just so I can enjoy myself. Not when I'm paying them to do so! :(

And if sim-racing had the appeal of games like Dota or TF2 and the member count that comes with them, no doubt that the prices for the content would be lower as result. Unfortunately for us hardcore simmers, that number is not there so we have to pay for it, but in case of the quality of racing I got from it, it was definitely worth it.

There are plenty of games which don't have huge fan bases which can still afford free matchmaking and cheap content. I feel the reason sim racing is niche is because of the ridiculous pricing and poor pad support. I don't blame anyone for wanting to pick up RaceRoom (picking this since it was on the front page of steam) only to find you have to tinker with the pad to get it working correctly and once you've done that find out that all the content in the game at the moment costs roughly ~£40. That doesn't include SP or MP either. I'd just laugh and delete it and go back to Shift or F1 2013.

Spookie

Sounds like sims are not for you. I don't know a single sim that doesn't require hours of time investment.

Re-read what I said. Time investment isn't an issue. My issue is investing time in to shitty races because 'things will get better later'.

1-D_FTW

Well it's not the case for me in the 900-1000's I just don't have the time for it. I invest most of my hours in to Dota 2 and it's bad enough dealing with dickheads in that game but at least in Dota 2 I can swing things in my favour by queuing with GAF. I don't want to have to invest hours into iRacing just get out of the trench just so I can enjoy myself. Not when I'm paying them to do so! :(

There are plenty of games which don't have huge fan bases which can still afford free matchmaking and cheap content. I feel the reason sim racing is niche is because of the ridiculous pricing and poor pad support. I don't blame anyone for wanting to pick up RaceRoom (picking this since it was on the front page of steam) only to find you have to tinker with the pad to get it working correctly and once you've done that find out that all the content in the game at the moment costs roughly ~£40. That doesn't include SP or MP either. I'd just laugh and delete it and go back to Shift or F1 2013.

In fairness, they are sims. If you want something that's not trying to achieve authenticity, there are plenty of options out there on the consoles. I'm not sure why you're getting mad at a sim for being too simy. If the physics are done properly, it should be difficult to drive with a controller. Cause that's not how cars are driven.

malyce

This may be your problem. Maybe spend some more time in practice and try qualifying higher? My Rookie season I got thrown into races with SOF anywhere from 1400-2000+, so 8/10 of my races were almost incident free. Though you'd still get the occasional Grosjeans and impatient drivers who lack racing etiquette. Right now you should probably be more concerned with finishing your races with as little incidents as possible and getting your SR up so you can get out of the Rookie class or get placed in races with higher SOF.

Spookie

Well they will, so if you've got time, what's the problem?

I don't want to invest time in to a game I'm not currently enjoying on the promise it will get better later. I don't know how to make this point any more clear to you.

Edit: Deleted my comment on iRacing, I really can't be arsed talking about that game any more. No offence malyce, I see you're trying to help and I appreciate that. But my interest in that game has gone out the window.

In fairness, they are sims. If you want something that's not trying to achieve authenticity, there are plenty of options out there on the consoles. I'm not sure why you're getting mad at a sim for being too simy. If the physics are done properly, it should be difficult to drive with a controller. Cause that's not how cars are driven.

I'm not getting mad at anything haha. My point being is that a game can be approachable while still be appealing to hardcore players. Didn't the guys who are making AC say they are trying to do exactly that? With the correct amount of assists it should be, in theory, possible to drive.

I don't want to invest time in to a game I'm not currently enjoying on the promise it will get better later. I don't know how to make this point any more clear to you.
It's very clear, it just doesn't make much sense. You say that time investment isn't an issue, and you seem to appreciate that sim racing as a hobby requires some dedication, but you don't want to give iRacing a chance because you've had some bad races. And if that's the main issue, and you think that all racing games are 'shitty' online (despite iRacing being clearly the best in this area), then I'm not sure what that leaves you, because you're gonna have an even worse experience elsewhere.

Arucardo

But isn't DOTA 2 exactly that? Never heard of someone who immediately started enjoying DOTA 2 or any othe MOBA game. They take quite a bit of time to learn.

You only need a handful or races in iRacing to get out of the Rookie "gutter". To me it sounds like you're predisposed to hate on iRacing or you let a few bad apples in a couple of races color your opinion on it. As everyone has said already, you won't find cleaner racing with randoms outside of iRacing unless you join an organized league in other sims (which is even more fun imo, if you have the time).

Spookie

But isn't DOTA 2 exactly that? Never heard of someone who immediately started enjoying DOTA 2 or any othe MOBA game. They take quite a bit of time to learn.

You only need a handful or races in iRacing to get out of the Rookie "gutter". To me it sounds like you're predisposed to hate on iRacing or you let a few bad apples in a couple of races color your opinion on it. As everyone has said already, you won't find cleaner racing with randoms outside of iRacing unless you join an organized league in other sims (which is even more fun imo, if you have the time).

Not really no. It's takes time to learn but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself immediately. There isn't a point where one person making one shitty decision can waste an hour of your time.

I don't hate iRacing. I just happened to have copious amounts of bad inital races because I didn't know about first-corner-syndrome which has dumped me in to some ELO hell I just don't want to be stressing constantly about making sure I'm having a clean race it feels like a chore. It's just sadly completely hamstrung my enjoyment of the game. I'll be sure to give clubs/leagues a go at some point after all I'm considering upgrading to a Fanatec setup and an occulus rift for AC purely for the experience of it all. I might have some better luck with them. Failing that I could always just fall back to AI and just play every other title in my steam library online.

Arucardo

Not really no. It's takes time to learn but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself immediately. There isn't a point where one person making one shitty decision can waste an hour of your time.

I don't hate iRacing. I just happened to have copious amounts of bad inital races because I didn't know about first-corner-syndrome which has dumped me in to some ELO hell I just don't want to be stressing constantly about making sure I'm having a clean race it feels like a chore. It's just sadly completely hamstrung my enjoyment of the game. I'll be sure to give clubs/leagues a go at some point after all I'm considering upgrading to a Fanatec setup and an occulus rift for AC purely for the experience of it all. I might have some better luck with them. Failing that I could always just fall back to AI and just play every other title in my steam library online.

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from.

I'm also saving some money for an Occulus Rift, can't wait to play racing sims with it.

TJP

This really sucks - @Aristotelis - Interesting fact, since yesterday iRacing's entrance in Steam, our NO votes for greenlight have gone up 50%… that's a bit sad.

For those who are unaware, Aristotelis is the physics guru for Kunos and is also responsible for the excellent physics found in the P&G mods. I'll never understand the tribalism in videogaming...

1-D_FTW

Speaking of... AC did confirm they were going to offer support right? :X

The Tech Preview already works well in 3D (and has head tracking with TrackIR) so there's no reason that they or someone else couldn't make it work with the occulus rift.

Somebody started an official thread on their forums. They didn't do a single thing to optimize for 3D. They don't even have any 3D gear. Luckily they didn't cheat with any rendering techniques, so it all works anyways.

This really sucks - @Aristotelis - Interesting fact, since yesterday iRacing's entrance in Steam, our NO votes for greenlight have gone up 50%… that's a bit sad.

For those who are unaware, Aristotelis is the physics guru for Kunos and is also responsible for the excellent physics found in the P&G mods. I'll never understand the tribalism in videogaming...

Figured as much. So stupid.

Top Bottom