• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Spookie

This really sucks - @Aristotelis - Interesting fact, since yesterday iRacing's entrance in Steam, our NO votes for greenlight have gone up 50%… that's a bit sad.

For those who are unaware, Aristotelis is the physics guru for Kunos and is also responsible for the excellent physics found in the P&G mods. I'll never understand the tribalism in videogaming...

Well hopefully it won't matter I've not seen a game garner so many comments in such a short time as AC did on Greenlight. If it does have an impact I'd be very disappointed. Greenlight has been nothing but a shit show since it's implementation.

1-D_FTW

And the irony is, now people are going to retaliate and give iRacing a ton of negative votes. I'd like to think Valve would see all the activity and understand it was because of passion and both should be greenlit tomorrow, but as has been pointed out, Greenlight sucks.

Why is there even a 'No' option? Shouldn't it work the same as Facebook 'likes'? Surely it's about the number of people interested, not the number who are not interested?

TJP

Anyone else stupid like me and bought F1 2012 when it was released only to shelve it because of the endless issues? If so, a new version of the offline 'realism mod' has been released on Race Department (and possibly elsewhere) to fix many of the issues and enhance aspects of the game.

List of features from Race Department:

Realistic AI behaviour:
AI will overtake more
AI might crash at the start, even without player interfering
AI will not back out when they are on the inside at a corner
AI rarely (but they do) brake late and crash into other drivers
AI will not wait until all cars get passed when they are off the track, but will try to merge into the field

Realistic AI strength:
AI drivers pace is up to date according to the 2012 season
AI is more aggressive

Mechanical Failures and DNF's
AI will have more mechanical failures than CM last released patch
Mechanical failures happen according to 2012 season, That means HRT will have more mechanical failure than Ferrari
Each race will have between 1-5 cars that will retire due mechanical failures, the total can sum up to 7 if there occur some crashes.
The DNF's can depend on your racing skill, if you make a lot of mistake the AI gets caught in this and crash into each other. So be sure you're up to the difficulty settings where you belong!

Race Distance
There are 5 distances available: 25%, 50%, 75% 100% and Career mode.
If you want to play 25% races with tyre scaling, install the 50% mod and select 25% races ingame
If you want to play 75% races with tyre scaling, install the 75% mod and select 100% races ingame
You cannot play other distances than installed (except for 25%)
If you want to play Career mode just install that version, this version also works with Quick races it just doesn't support any tyre scaling

Tyres
This mod includes tyre scaling on 50% and 75% races and improved tyre scaling on 100%
This is the first mod with tyre scaling that affects the tyre wear!
Fixed tyre selection on Brazil and Texas
Tyre wear does not work in career. If you want to play this mod for career, install the Career version of the mod

Flashbacks
50 Flashbacks

Article and download link (need to be an RD member) here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/f1-2012-realism-mod.60001/ The RD thread has links to other fixes too.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Anyone else stupid like me and bought F1 2012 when it was released only to shelve it because of the endless issues? If so, a new version of the offline 'realism mod' has been released on Race Department (and possibly elsewhere) to fix many of the issues and enhance aspects of the game.

Realistic AI behaviour:
AI will overtake more
AI will not wait until all cars get passed when they are off the track, but will try to merge into the field

Realistic AI strength:
AI is more aggressive

Mechanical failures happen according to 2012 season, That means HRT will have more mechanical failure than Ferrari
Each race will have between 1-5 cars that will retire due mechanical failures, the total can sum up to 7 if there occur some crashes.
The DNF's can depend on your racing skill, if you make a lot of mistake the AI gets caught in this and crash into each other. So be sure you're up to the difficulty settings where you belong!

Race Distance
If you want to play 25% races with tyre scaling, install the 50% mod and select 25% races ingame
If you want to play 75% races with tyre scaling, install the 75% mod and select 100% races ingame
If you want to play Career mode just install that version, this version also works with Quick races it just doesn't support any tyre scaling

Tyres
This mod includes tyre scaling on 50% and 75% races and improved tyre scaling on 100%
Tyre wear does not work in career. If you want to play this mod for career, install the Career version of the mod

Flashbacks
50 Flashbacks

Article and download link (need to be an RD member) here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/f1-2012-realism-mod.60001/ The RD thread has links to other fixes too.

Do you think with this mod the game is worth getting?

TJP

Do you think with this mod the game is worth getting?
If you can find F1 2012 for a cheap price (e.g. under $20/15 Euros) then yes F1 2012 is worth buying. Like many others in the F1 2012 thread, I was a day one buyer and got burnt and annoyed by CM's inability to completely fix the game despite CM releasing 12 patches in a few weeks post release (from memory patch #2 fixed 200 issues). Support for F1 2012 ceased a couple of months after release so these community fixes are a godsend!

There are many mods available on Race Department from graphical upgrades to cars and drivers to complete overhaul mods.

If you can find F1 2012 for a cheap price (e.g. under $20/15 Euros) then yes F1 2012 is worth buying. Like many others in the F1 2012 thread, I was a day one buyer and got burnt and annoyed by CM's inability to completely fix the game despite CM releasing 12 patches in a few weeks post release (from memory patch #2 fixed 200 issues). Support for F1 2012 ceased a couple of months after release so these community fixes are a godsend!

When did Codemasters go so seriously downhill? ... The late 90's Colin McRae/TOCA titles were excellent yet all they can seem to do with the F1 licence these days is drop the ball repeatedly ... :|

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
When did Codemasters go so seriously downhill? ... The late 90's Colin McRae/TOCA titles were excellent yet all they can seem to do with the F1 licence these days is drop the ball repeatedly ... :|

Maybe they ought to make an F1 demolition derby game. Dirt: Showdown was a blast.

I think the biggest problem with F1 2012 was that they gave it to a B-Team, because the main team is probably focused on next gen.

I think the biggest problem with F1 2012 was that they gave it to a B-Team, because the main team is probably focused on next gen.

The biggest problem with F1 2012 was that it was about as unevloved from F1 2011 as F1 2011 was from F1 2010 ... It's sad to think that the best F1 game to come out in ages was the PS3 exclusive 6 years ago ...

TJP

The CM made F1 games have all been riddled with issues and poor post release support; a complete contrast to the Dirt series and Grid which have been as issue free as one can expect for a modern game release. The most amazing thing is people still buy these F1 games!

I'm considering buying this instead of building my own mount for my G27:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084EG3ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

41wVNoHWJdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a design in mind to build myself but I feel like anything I build out of wood wouldn't be as compact and easily tucked away. $90 doesn't seem bad. Is a better alternative in the same price ballpark?

Not sure about that stand, I've got a Wheelstand Pro v2.

Really good it is too, heavy, adjustable and sturdy. I used to get neck ache from using a low table but haven't had it since getting the stand. The centre post wasn't a problem either.

edit: oh, it works out pretty expensive in the states.

Shaneus

I have whatever the Fanatec stand is... the Rennsport one. I have no complaints with it at all. I think they're all much of a muchness, really. Unless they're incredibly dodgy then they're all basically the same (from what I can gather).

PS. Did anyone try that F1 2012 major patch/mod thing? Does it fix any handling issues at all, or is it mostly gameplay (AI, weather, safety car etc.) stuff?

Megasoum

Banned
PS. Did anyone try that F1 2012 major patch/mod thing? Does it fix any handling issues at all, or is it mostly gameplay (AI, weather, safety car etc.) stuff?

Yeah I'm wondering that too since the game is 13$ on steam all week... really tempting!

How's the game with Fanatec wheels?

Dilly

Banned
This really sucks - @Aristotelis - Interesting fact, since yesterday iRacing's entrance in Steam, our NO votes for greenlight have gone up 50%… that's a bit sad.

For those who are unaware, Aristotelis is the physics guru for Kunos and is also responsible for the excellent physics found in the P&G mods. I'll never understand the tribalism in videogaming...

It's terrible in the Race sim genre.

I'm ashamed to be part of that community 90% of the time.

I finally stepped up to G25 pedals/Bodnar/GTEYE to go with my DFGT wheel which I've never had too many complaints about. I've taken a "happily make do" approach with my setups over the years because my time and interest ebbs and flows, but I just couldn't take any more of that bloody DFGT brake. Every corner was met with a trail of smoke off the inside front.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh and anybody know if they finally fixed the buttons in codemasters games when using a Fanatec wheel? Since a couple of firmware/driver updates (since last summer I think) you can't use the buttons to control the menus.

Shaneus

Yeah I'm wondering that too since the game is 13$ on steam all week... really tempting!

How's the game with Fanatec wheels?
I can't vouch for the Fanatec side of things, but I can say that if you have the opportunity to steer clear of F1 2012, do so. 2011 is a lot more stable and just felt like a tighter package overall, whereas it's younger brother just kind of felt all over the shop and didn't feel like it had direction.

What I played of it, anyway. I chucked it in after a few hours from sheer frustration. The only game that's pissed me off as much is Saint's Row 3 and their lack of support ("working with AMD" on a slowdown issue since launch? I doubt it).

PS. I read that thing on the Kunos "no" votes and just shook my fucking head. You'd think there'd be a camaraderie amongst sim gamers so that all games have a chance to get on Steam. What a bunch of right cunts.

Has anyone bothered to have a look on forums etc. to see if there's any collusion? Maybe someone here who's signed up with them can suss out their forums (if you need to be a subscriber to see them). Could almost be worthy of a new thread as I'd imagine it could be quite an in-depth discussion that isn't necessarily specific to sim racing games.

It's terrible in the Race sim genre.

I'm ashamed to be part of that community 90% of the time.
Is it really that venomous? I remember when there was some fairly pathetic behaviour on VirtualR.net (or whatever it is) over SMS/pCARS for some reason, but didn't think that was typical of the "scene".

TJP

I read that thing on the Kunos "no" votes and just shook my fucking head. You'd think there'd be a camaraderie amongst sim gamers so that all games have a chance to get on Steam. What a bunch of right cunts.
The most stupid thing about the no voting situation on Steam is that behind the scenes the various sim developers apparently all get along. Examples of this are Aris from Kunos stating he is friends with Tim Wheatley of ISI on Race Department, the SimBin team are friends with the team at Kunos (the SimBin team play ALL the racing games, sim or arcade on PC or console) and I've seen iRacing dev's tweet positive statements about Assetto Corsa etc including 'WTF?' comments about no votes on Steam. Dickhead users who think one can only enjoy a single sim are the problem; it's asinine logic and quite harmful to the health of sim racing genre.

Is it really that venomous? I remember when there was some fairly pathetic behaviour on VirtualR.net (or whatever it is) over SMS/pCARS for some reason, but didn't think that was typical of the "scene".
Editorial bias (perceived or otherwise) was a huge cause of friction once it became common knowledge the owner of VirtualR had became associated with the CARS project.

Shaneus

The most stupid thing about the no voting situation on Steam is that behind the scenes the various sim developers apparently all get along. Examples of this are Aris from Kunos stating he is friends with Tim Wheatley of ISI on Race Department, the SimBin team are friends with the team at Kunos (the SimBin team play ALL the racing games, sim or arcade on PC or console) and I've seen iRacing dev's tweet positive statements about Assetto Corsa etc including 'WTF?' comments about no votes on Steam. Dickhead users who think one can only enjoy a single sim are the problem; it's asinine logic and quite harmful to the health of sim racing genre.
It's almost like Playstation vs. Xbox, but that's a little more justifiable (if at all) because it warrants a huge outlay from the beginning. Racing sims aren't and even for the bits that you do drop loads of cash on (peripherals etc.) they're used across the board. Those devs wouldn't have any reason to despise each other... why would the fans?

Literally does not make any sense at all.

Business

It's almost like Playstation vs. Xbox, but that's a little more justifiable (if at all) because it warrants a huge outlay from the beginning. Racing sims aren't and even for the bits that you do drop loads of cash on (peripherals etc.) they're used across the board. Those devs wouldn't have any reason to despise each other... why would the fans?

Maybe people who have spent a good amount of money on iRacing and/or are subscribed for a long period are afraid if another better or more popular sim releases people will flee from iRacing. Not that this justifies it, but could at least partially explain it.

Shaneus

Hm, maybe. That's part of the reason I didn't stick with iRacing at all. You never actually *own* anything. It's the polar opposite of some of the other titles with the modding community where you own pretty much everything (small legalities aside, obviously) and don't have to pay a cent.

Arucardo

To me it makes no difference if the "game" is on steam (I'd even prefer buying it from the dev's directly like I did with Arma 3), but it would be great just for getting a bigger community and more visibility.

Also, I'm not one of those crazies who skips games because it's not on steam :p, I don't care where it is as long as it works.

shandy706

I wish we could get the money behind a Sim and a big name company like T10 or PD. A full on sim with hundreds of cars and a multi-million dollar budget that takes full advantage of a PC would be amazing.

The notion of simulation is a blessing and a curse. Mostly a curse. It puts the whole genre in an inescapable box. The implication is that they're all striving to create the same thing. Talk about no wiggle room... What mistake that is. Now everything must be judged more or less real. Great...

So yeah, fuck simulation. They're racing games. Welcome, and enjoy their differences.

paskowitz

Fantatec RennSport Cockpit V2 now available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ItnsDS8oYV8

Features

Full customization is made possible: wide range of seats and accessories available
Plethora of adjustments to achieve the best driving position
Super solid full aluminum construction in roll cage design
High quality materials for durability
Powder coat finish for extra resistance
Easy to mount
All tools for assembly included
Compatible with most of racing devices on the market
Sporty design

Compatibility

Racing Wheels
All Fanatec wheels
Logitech G25 / G27
Thrustmaster T500RS
Pedals
Fanatec CSR, CSR Elite and ClubSport Pedale
Logitech G25 /G27
Thrustmaster T500RS
Shifters (with optional adapter)
Fanatec ClubSport, CSR and Porsche shifters
Logitech G25/G27
Thrustmaster
Optional accessories (mount accessories section)
Triple Monitor Stand
Single Monitor Stand
Shifter Holder
Sound Holder
Sparco R333 Seat
Sparco Pro 2000 Seat
Fanatec RS Seat
Other accessories coming soon
Keyboard Holder
Butterkick
Handbrake
Height adjuster for pedals

Special Notes

Use the products configurator to build your perfect racing rig
Shipment from our German warehouse
Customers are responsible for any tax and duties imposed by their country
Not included: Racing wheel, pedals, monitor stand, keyboard holder, monitors, console / PC, speakers
The RSC Cockpit V2 has the following measurements when built up completely:
Length: 175 cm (max.)
Width: 84 cm
Height (without seat - max.): 80 cm
Height (with seat - max.): 120cm

Packaging Details

Size (L x W x H) : 115.00cm x 54.00cm x 54.00cm
Weight: 30.00kg
Volume weight: 67.07kg

What's included

RennSport Cockpit V2
Tools and screws to assembly
Manual

Pictures:

cockpit_01big-1000x666.jpg
cockpit_03-1000x666.jpg
CockpitV2_05.png
CockpitV2_03-1000x666.png
*Base

Seat options:

Fanatec RS Seat
Fanatec%20Seat-1000x666.png

Fanatec Sparco Pro 2000 Seat
Seat-PRO2000-Black-1000x666.png

Fanatec Sparco R333 Seat
Sparco-Seat-R333_02-1000x666.png
(Nice!)

Accessories

Sound Holder
Sound-Front-1000x666.png

Single Monitor Mount
1M-back-1000x666.png

Triple Monitor Mount
3M-back-1000x666.png

Shifter Holder
front-1000x666.png

Prices (USD)

Base Frame
RennSport Cockpit V2: $999

Seats:
Fanatec RS Seat: $199
Fanatec Sparco Pro 2000 Seat: $469
Fanatec Sparco R333 Seat: $419

Accessories:
RennSport Cockpit Single Monitor Stand V2: $249.00
RennSport Cockpit Triple Monitor Stand V2 $249.00
RennSport Cockpit Shifter Holder $49.95
RennSport Cockpit Sound Holder $34.95

DieH@rd

Banned

Realistic AI behaviour:
AI will overtake more

Realistic AI strength:
AI is more aggressive

Race Distance

Tyres

Flashbacks
50 Flashbacks

All of this sounds great. I will most definetley reinstall F1 2012 if they add Oculus Rift support to it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like something that just locks the steering wheel and pedals to a seat - no monitor mounts etc. perfect for use with the oculus rift, or just slide it up to your existing monitor/TV.

Looking forward to seeing what modders do with rift support in racing games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the current sweetspot for an approachable race sim that isn't too hardcore but still feels great with a wheel?

Bonus points if it just works with my DFGT without me needing to tweak tons of meaningless variables

I ordered that wheel stand I mentioned earlier and it arrived yesterday. It should work fine but I have one major issue to solve, it slides around on my hard wood floor. I'm going to get some nonskid pads to attach to the base and I hope that'll do the trick.

What's the current sweetspot for an approachable race sim that isn't too hardcore but still feels great with a wheel?

Bonus points if it just works with my DFGT without me needing to tweak tons of meaningless variables

Live for Speed is a great place to start, nice variety of (unlicensed) cars and ai to race against. Tracks themselves are good, just not enough of them.

Shaneus

Possibly Shift as well? I haven't toyed with that much as far as wheels go, but I get the impression it does quite well for itself. Also, it's by SMS.

Top Bottom