• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I wouldn't recommend Shift with any controller.

All the decent sims on PC have overwhelming options. I'd say the best approachable sim is GT5, ideal for a DFGT.

Assuming you've already played that, and you want to try some PC sims, I'd say the Power & Glory 3 mod for GTR2 is the best bet. It's one of the few sims where the steering lock is set correctly for 900 degree wheels without having to go into the setup, and the 'stock' setups for all the cars are brilliant. It's a slightly convoluted installation with patching of profiles, but if you follow the instructions you should be ok. Once it's running, you can happily play it without ever going into the setup pages.

Shaneus

Well, there you go.

Actually, F1 2011 is probably the best "accessible" game I've played as far as FFB goes. Not sure what Codies do in their other titles, but F1 2011 I remember felt really nice.

1-D_FTW

I wouldn't recommend Shift with any controller.

All the decent sims on PC have overwhelming options. I'd say the best approachable sim is GT5, ideal for a DFGT.

Assuming you've already played that, and you want to try some PC sims, I'd say the Power & Glory 3 mod for GTR2 is the best bet. It's one of the few sims where the steering lock is set correctly for 900 degree wheels without having to go into the setup, and the 'stock' setups for all the cars are brilliant. It's a slightly convoluted installation with patching of profiles, but if you follow the instructions you should be ok. Once it's running, you can happily play it without ever going into the setup pages.

Excellent point with P&G 3.0.

Well, there you go.

Actually, F1 2011 is probably the best "accessible" game I've played as far as FFB goes. Not sure what Codies do in their other titles, but F1 2011 I remember felt really nice.

Along those lines, if he hasn't play Dirt on the consoles, Dirt 2 & 3 are accessible and have very nice FFB with Logitech. He just needs to stay clear of Dirt 1/Grid, since early gen Codemaster pretended FFB wheels didn't exist.

Three60

nDJAqKA.jpg

CSS Feature Preview #2

We're now ready to show you a little more about our shifter's adjustment features…

The ClubSport shifter table clamp offers endless adjustment possibilities. Hence, you will be able to set up your shifter exactly the way you want it.
The CSS is designed to be mounted on either side, right or left, and can even be screwed onto the top of the table clamp. If you decide to go for a side-mounting, the height adjustments are unlimited, thanks to the T-slot rails.
The ClubSport shifter table clamp is extremely sturdy and will ensure plenty of perfect and fast shifts.

See you next week, for more!

Looks better than TH8rs IMO. Eagerly waiting for more info about release date and price..

Arucardo

Have they said anything about that having a sequential mode? I love my TH8rs and I'm in no hurry to switch though :p . Looking at the pictures this might have a similar way to get sequential as the TH8, screw off the knob, unscrew the plate on top and switch to another plate.

Also, the range of motion on that thing looks kinda short (which you can increase it with a longer rod or knob ofc).

ruttyboy

Remember a few pages ago I was ordering a new G27 from Logitech with a 50% off voucher they gave me?

Well in case anyone is interested, and also to warn anyone else in the same situation, I thought I'd give an update.

The first wheel came really quickly, but upon opening it it became clear it was second hand, the cardboard tab on the box where the seal sticker is was actually ripped open (the seal sticker was still intact though!) and there were a few scuffs on the wheel.

Sent it back asking for a new one, and so they sent out another no problem, it arrived, same deal, ripped tab, a few scuffs and a stanley knife cut where the outer box had been opened.

Sent that back and, after having to remind them a week after it arrived back with them, they finally sent out a sealed new one that arrived on Friday.

Basically it's taken just over a month from ordering to get a wheel I was happy with.

I'm not too sore about it as it was still a bargain and they didn't argue about returning the used ones at any point, but I assume they're giving out re-furb/returns to people with discount codes, even though they're ordering new product, which is a bit naughty.

1-D_FTW

/\

You're absolutely positive it was opened? I remember when I bought mine. I initially thought the same thing and was going to return it to Best Buy, but then I realized it was just the fact the content was really heavy and that's what caused the seals to rip off from the box.

ruttyboy

/\

You're absolutely positive it was opened? I remember when I bought mine. I initially thought the same thing and was going to return it to Best Buy, but then I realized it was just the fact the content was really heavy and that's what caused the seals to rip off from the box.

Yeah, there was no way it was the weight, the actual cardboard had been torn very deliberately.

Watevaman

How much does something like that cost and how hard is it to put together? I'd love to make one but I don't have too much knowledge of circuits or anything.

Arucardo

The cost can creep up a little, I did it as a project for school so I could justify it. I think mine cost around 70eur in total (the switches and buttons were surprisingly expensive) and I used a pre-built circuit from here: http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/circuits .

You can save quite a bit if you have something to house it in and some buttons or switches already.

Shaneus

Heh, it's a "button box" you can hook up with USB and use as another controller on PC, easier than searching for functions on the keyboard.
Ah, righteo. I thought it might've been meant as a model of something or other IRL. Looks like it'd be nifty, though! At least, better than fiddling around with the buttons on the G27. Well done!

Business

Yes same here. Before the rift was announced I was seriously considering going for a triple screen setup, but if the rift lives up to its promise, it will blow a triple sceen setup out of the water at a fraction of the cost.

Shaneus

Does the rift have a gyroscope in it as well or is it just a screen you wear on your head? Not that it matters because I'll probably still get one anyway (imagine one with a Kinect on your PC so you can actually see your own hand move onscreen to change gears!) but I'm not sure what sort of device it is exactly.

Does the rift have a gyroscope in it as well or is it just a screen you wear on your head? Not that it matters because I'll probably still get one anyway (imagine one with a Kinect on your PC so you can actually see your own hand move onscreen to change gears!) but I'm not sure what sort of device it is exactly.

It tracks head movement. You should be able to do full 1:1 head movement.

After watching the F1 season opener I got the racing itch and finally gave iRacing a shot. Did the 3 months for $15 promotion. The game is incredibly fun and very challenging. It is really calling out my bad driving habits that have formed durning my GT5 phase. I really want to build a cockpit but I feel like I should hold off for the rift. I guess a reasonable cockpit would still be useful even with rift. Damn, iRacing really opened up a rabbit hole for me. I can see how becoming obsessed with it would be easy.

Business

^I just finished modding a Rinoseat GTR with a real OMP bucket. I pretty much did it just for the sake of it because really I can't say anything bad about the stock seat. I think it's a very good cockpit solution if you are looking for one, it's light, it's comfortable, it's hightly adjustable. Renato, the guy who created, sold the design to Fanatec if I'm not mistaken, so you may be more lucky than I was with delivery and feedback (although Fanatec is not the best either on that regard).

Btw did you try Assetto Corsa? I'd recommend you to give a shot at the tech preview.

Three60

^I just finished modding a Rinoseat GTR with a real OMP bucket. I pretty much did it just for the sake of it because really I can't say anything bad about the stock seat. I think it's a very good cockpit solution if you are looking for one, it's light, it's comfortable, it's hightly adjustable. Renato, the guy who created, sold the design to Fanatec if I'm not mistaken, so you may be more lucky than I was with delivery and feedback (although Fanatec is not the best either on that regard).

Btw did you try Assetto Corsa? I'd recommend you to give a shot at the tech preview.

Pics please, love to see how that looks. I have a rGTR and some time in future I would love to do that mod..

After watching the F1 season opener I got the racing itch and finally gave iRacing a shot. Did the 3 months for $15 promotion. The game is incredibly fun and very challenging. It is really calling out my bad driving habits that have formed durning my GT5 phase. I really want to build a cockpit but I feel like I should hold off for the rift. I guess a reasonable cockpit would still be useful even with rift. Damn, iRacing really opened up a rabbit hole for me. I can see how becoming obsessed with it would be easy.

Take a look at this, great great solution http://eu.fanatec.com/Stand/CSL Seat

Business

Will see if this weekend I can take a couple. Like I said on my previous post I did it for the sake of it because I had the bucket. If you have to buy the bucket and do the mod I can't really say it makes sense from a cost point of view.

Now that I have everything set up and started playing GT5, I'm torn on the racing line. I'm definitely a novice but I've played all previous GT games and I remember running several practice laps before doing an event to learn the track. The racing line makes that completely unnecessary but at the same time, I'm not really learning the tracks when I'm staring at the line. At first, I figured I'd keep it on early as I learned the tracks but what I'm finding is that it is such a crutch that I'm not really learning the track. It reminds me of GPS features in open world games. I used to eventually memorize the open world when routes weren't laid out but now that I find that I don't because it's not necessary. I guess the answer is to bite the bullet and turn it off and just run those practice laps like I used to.

Arucardo

Do it, the racing line assist is an awful thing. You won't learn much about the car or the track if you just follow a line on the ground that tells you what to do. If you ever graduate to more hardcore sims you'll have a much tougher time in the beginning.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now that I have everything set up and started playing GT5, I'm torn on the racing line. I'm definitely a novice but I've played all previous GT games and I remember running several practice laps before doing an event to learn the track. The racing line makes that completely unnecessary but at the same time, I'm not really learning the tracks when I'm staring at the line. At first, I figured I'd keep it on early as I learned the tracks but what I'm finding is that it is such a crutch that I'm not really learning the track. It reminds me of GPS features in open world games. I used to eventually memorize the open world when routes weren't laid out but now that I find that I don't because it's not necessary. I guess the answer is to bite the bullet and turn it off and just run those practice laps like I used to.

I find the problem is too many tracks. With lots of tracks I don't have the time to learn them all, so I use the racing line as a crutch. If I just picked one or two favourite tracks, I can learn them and don't need the racing line.

same thing with cars. In lots of games you're progressing up the rank of faster and faster cars, which affects your braking points etc.

I guess thats one reason I loved F355 challenge so much. One car, racing around suzuka.

I find the problem is too many tracks. With lots of tracks I don't have the time to learn them all, so I use the racing line as a crutch. If I just picked one or two favourite tracks, I can learn them and don't need the racing line.

same thing with cars. In lots of games you're progressing up the rank of faster and faster cars, which affects your breaking points etc.

I guess thats one reason I loved F355 challenge so much. One car, racing around suzuka.

Yeah, that's the issue. It's more satisfying to learn the courses through practice but the time investment is substantial.

amar212

Damn, that is a really good price. Hmmm, will have to see how it fits in the new apartment. Will be moving next week so I suppose I should get settled before buying something like that. I really like the design though.

It is trully a magnificent seat, I am lucky to have both CSL and its predeccessor. If you are interested here is the review I did for the GTPlanet few weeks ago.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=274349

Megasoum

Banned
I reinstalled ACR tonight to see what they did in the last couple of months since the last time I played. I must admid that I was really surprised. They are still lacking in track numbers but they added a couple new ones including the "Italia" track which is a fictional track that feels a lot like a GT/Forza track.

Great physics, excellent FFB and it's free! I'll definitly play more of that in the next couple of days.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh good... I remember signing up for that ages ago for the beta and it was REALLY average. Might have to reinstall.

I dunno, it's not flashy and it's still very low on content but I like the driving and the online is a lot less buggy than it used to be. Anyway, it's free (and small, only 2.something gigs) so it's worth a try anyway IMO.

JamboGT

Hey thanks, for giving ACR a go, I work on that at the moment and we are doing a lot of work to get it up to scratch, have a new track coming soon which has been laser scanned as well. In addition to this we have been hinting at some wet racing also.

In addition to the Lakeside Italia tracks we have also added some Moscow tracks which to be honest remind me mostly of Project Gotham Racing, they are quite fun though.

We still have a lot of work to do but needless to say there are a lot of things in the pipeline that I can't talk about yet!

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Hey thanks, for giving ACR a go, I work on that at the moment and we are doing a lot of work to get it up to scratch, have a new track coming soon which has been laser scanned as well. In addition to this we have been hinting at some wet racing also.

In addition to the Lakeside Italia tracks we have also added some Moscow tracks which to be honest remind me mostly of Project Gotham Racing, they are quite fun though.

We still have a lot of work to do but needless to say there are a lot of things in the pipeline that I can't talk about yet!

Cool ! Can't wait to see what's coming up, and my Evo X is ready for the rain :)

Megasoum

Banned

Haha that's funny, that's exactly what I said to my friend the first time I saw the track. It has a great flow for a city tracks, not only 90 degrees turns everywhere (unlike Victoria Harbour).

The only problem I have with the game is that the F2P balancing is kinda bad. I've been playing for two days now and I've made a bit over 10k (for a total of 30k in my account). The next car I want to buy will be available in 7 levels (an EVO) is 175 000$... no way I'm gonna get that much money while racing. Of course I could pay real money to get it right away but fuck that.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
The only problem I have with the game is that the F2P balancing is kinda bad. I've been playing for two days now and I've made a bit over 10k (for a total of 30k in my account). The next car I want to buy will be available in 7 levels (an EVO) is 175 000$... no way I'm gonna get that much money while racing. Of course I could pay real money to get it right away but fuck that.

Agree, It's not easy to make money, but, you can race and have fun a lot more than Raceroom Racing (bad) Experience or RealRacing3 without paying anything.

Megasoum

Banned
Agree, It's not easy to make money, but, you can race and have fun a lot more than Raceroom Racing (bad) Experience or RealRacing3 without paying anything.

Yeah of course, RRE is the worst on PC and RR3 is in a whole different league of terrible. I just wished that ACR had a smoother progression curve that didn't force you to automatically put in money if you want to progress.

JamboGT

Haha that's funny, that's exactly what I said to my friend the first time I saw the track. It has a great flow for a city tracks, not only 90 degrees turns everywhere (unlike Victoria Harbour).

The F2P stuff is not my end of things to be honest but I know they are trying to open it up a little and when things get a little more concrete I will let you know. I tend to work on the gameplay side of things now, only started on ACR in January but it is getting there! Online code still needs a good bit of work as does the tyre model but we are working hard.

Saying that you do get credit bonuses when levelling up which help a lot towards getting the money needed when looking to purchase new cars. Will check what levels these are available at if you want.

Megasoum

Banned
The F2P stuff is not my end of things to be honest but I know they are trying to open it up a little and when things get a little more concrete I will let you know. I tend to work on the gameplay side of things now, only started on ACR in January but it is getting there! Online code still needs a good bit of work as does the tyre model but we are working hard.

Saying that you do get credit bonuses when levelling up which help a lot towards getting the money needed when looking to purchase new cars. Will check what levels these are available at if you want.

Thanks for the reply...fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, the game is free so I'll be happy to drop money on it if I love it. F2P games always have to ride a fine line to get the right balance between enjoyable progression and cash grab. Like I said earlier, there is far worst example than ACR in the racing sim genre now but it could probably still be a bit better.

Anyway, I'm having fun racing and that's the most important part!

JamboGT

Yeah it is really a tightrope between making money and appearing to rip people off!

On my end it is the experience on track that is important and I am glad you are having fun! There is still work to do, lack of feedback when the car slides is an issue as is audio feedback from the tyres before the car actually slides but these are all being worked on along with other things.

All feedback is of course appreciated. Whilst we want to keep the game approachable for all levels it is important to me for those who love their sims to enjoy the game on track.

We just had cake this morning to celebrate 300000 registrations and hopefully we can keep on moving onwards.

Top Bottom