• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Hi JamboGT, did you work on other racing games before ACR ?

This is my feedback on the game so far :
I don't know how work the new progression system because I reach level 40 in march-april-may 2012 at the lauch of the open beta (I was a closed beta player too) where I got a reward car for each 5 levels.

I stopped playing last fall where de physics/FFB was weird and the online all broke, I retried the game last week and fell in love again ! lol

I really like the physics who are just the good balance between fun and realism (what I call FunSim), I have a good feeling of the cars with the FFB now but a better sound the the grip before the sliding sound will be good.

I don't care about the RA class, Im sure they are good for financing the game but they are not build for racing, in real world too anyway.

Congrats for the 300 000 registrations, but if you want people to come back, unlock the level 40 to unlimited (like Forza4 did) and give E-buck for getting new level.

And if you want to attrack hardcore sim racing people, add basic setup and of course cockpit view for all car. And later a Touring/GT racing class with a "Works conversion" option for the cars like the NFS Shift series will be perfect.

JamboGT

Hi RaceMan, no I didn't actually, this is my first job following a university course on Game Design and programming but my intention and desire was always to make racing games so I am delighted to be doing what I do. Started as QA here one year ago but have been promoted to production! I now work on ACR and our NASCAR game, working on producing scenarios based on the telemetry from the 2013 races. Very interesting stuff actually!

I do think something needs to be added to keep players once they hit level 40, though to be honest there needs to be more incentives to get to level 40 also. The physics were very frustrating to me around that point as well, cars were very bouncy and stiff and to be honest not much fun, much happier now and things should only improve!

Personally for my own racing I tend to stick to slower, more stock cars, less grip is always good and you can have closer races as well :p so feel similar to you regarding the RA class. Also I too would love some touring/GT racing and hopefully we can bring something like that very soon.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Cool, I hope your boss listen to you lol.

And you're right, I decided to removed all upgrades for my Mclaren F1 et Corvette and they are very fun to drive like that and I controlled very long slides (I always play with no assists)

But... you have fun alone in the back because a RA stock can't compete with a C class fully upgraded (and a SC with a D upgraded car), and 95% of people play with all assists and upgraded cars.

The races would be a lot more fun if there be no upgrade in the game.

One other thing, you can't hear your car (engine and tires) when you race close to someone with the exact same car as you.

paskowitz

The F2P stuff is not my end of things to be honest but I know they are trying to open it up a little and when things get a little more concrete I will let you know. I tend to work on the gameplay side of things now, only started on ACR in January but it is getting there! Online code still needs a good bit of work as does the tyre model but we are working hard.

Saying that you do get credit bonuses when levelling up which help a lot towards getting the money needed when looking to purchase new cars. Will check what levels these are available at if you want.

You should do something like what SimRaceWay does with their free weekly test drives (IDK if you already do this). I am not really a fan of the paid test drives in ACR. If a car does not drive to my liking I feel pretty bad I just wasted money on it.

Also IDK if it is possible to do bundled discounts but this is another thing that would be nice. All BMW cars for $15 feels like a better value than $3 per BMW car (made up price... no idea what yours are).

Zozobra

I'm having a lot of fun playing F1 2012, does that make me a bad person?

I haven't played any other entries in the franchise, so I guess I don't know what's so bad about this one...

Shaneus

I'm having a lot of fun playing F1 2012, does that make me a bad person?

I haven't played any other entries in the franchise, so I guess I don't know what's so bad about this one...
If you haven't played the others, no, it doesn't :) What the majority of people were miffed about was just how few changes were made from 2011, but the ones that were could be (and were, by a lot of people) considered detrimental to the series. That, and 2011 seemed to be far better after three patches than 2012 was with 14 (within the space of a month and a half... and still there were a ridiculous amount of bugs).

If 2011 goes on the cheap again (and I'd say it will, being theoretically "outdated") I'd highly recommend getting it.

JamboGT

Hi Paskowitz, know that name from GTPlanet, long time member there! (Guess where the GT in my name comes from :p) we do have free rentals that you get from leveling but I agree that a test drive feature like simraceway is a good way to get people to try other cars, have put the idea forward so will see what comes of it.
Manufacturer packs/manufacturer loyalty is another interesting thing and is another thing to talk about with the people who make those decisions.

RaceManIak, haha I hope he does too!
The game is still in beta so who knows what way we will go regarding things, there are some balance issues between cars which need work as well, VPR values and the like need adjusted etc. Stockcar races is another feature I would like added as well as non player created events for players to enter.
The sound mixing is something being looked at right now, both that and the sound effects themselves so hopefully we will see changes soon.

Personally at the moment I have finished redoing camera angles for the cars, different bumper cameras and new hood cameras for example, as well as a higher chase cam so the player can judge the position of the nose of their car better. After finishing this I am now working on setup of some new cars and some new features which haven't been announced yet. This is in addition to the NASCAR scenarios so keeping busy!

Zozobra

If you haven't played the others, no, it doesn't :) What the majority of people were miffed about was just how few changes were made from 2011, but the ones that were could be (and were, by a lot of people) considered detrimental to the series. That, and 2011 seemed to be far better after three patches than 2012 was with 14 (within the space of a month and a half... and still there were a ridiculous amount of bugs).

If 2011 goes on the cheap again (and I'd say it will, being theoretically "outdated") I'd highly recommend getting it.

Ahh ok, that's understandable.

I picked 2012 up during the latest Steam sale and I made a point of checking if 2011 was also on sale, oddly enough it wasn't. Maybe during the summer sale...

Shaneus

Other Codies titles have gone for cheap at one stage or another (I'm sure Dirt 3 has been cheap, know for a fact that Dirt 1 and 2, as well as Grid and Fuel have all been $5 a pop or thereabouts) so see how you go.

If you find something that you think should be tweaked in 2012, the last page (I think) has a post about a single-player mod for it that looks like it does a whole lot to improve the game.

Megasoum

Banned
Other Codies titles have gone for cheap at one stage or another (I'm sure Dirt 3 has been cheap, know for a fact that Dirt 1 and 2, as well as Grid and Fuel have all been $5 a pop or thereabouts) so see how you go.

If you find something that you think should be tweaked in 2012, the last page (I think) has a post about a single-player mod for it that looks like it does a whole lot to improve the game.

Well Dirt 3 is the daily deal right now on Steam. However I think that Dirt 2 is far superior.

amar212

However I think that Dirt 2 is far superior.

Of course it is. It has Rally Croatia. Case closed.

BTW JamboGT, congrats of your work for Eutechnyx. I am fan of their work from some long ago times, backthen in PSOne era and great, great LeMans 24Hours game they've produced for Infogrames.

I was also a great fan of Ferrari Challenge and I really love the work they've done with NASCAR 2011 The Game - I would recommend it to anyone with some interest and the wheel, it can be bought on PSN for peanuts - and it is really a solid game.

Wishing you best working there!

JamboGT

Of course it is. It has Rally Croatia. Case closed.

BTW JamboGT, congrats of your work for Eutechnyx. I am fan of their work from some long ago times, backthen in PSOne era and great, great LeMans 24Hours game they've produced for Infogrames.

I was also a great fan of Ferrari Challenge and I really love the work they've done with NASCAR 2011 The Game - I would recommend it to anyone with some interest and the wheel, it can be bought on PSN for peanuts - and it is really a solid game.

Wishing you best working there!

Thanks amar, always been a fan of your reviews and previews on GTPlanet! I loved that Le Mans game for PSOne, didn't even realise it was by this company until a few months back though. Was nice how you could adjust revs and things even back in the day.

Hopefully NASCAR TGIL will get the same treatment at some point, despite a few issues at launch it really is a much better game than 11.

Thanks amar, always been a fan of your reviews and previews on GTPlanet! I loved that Le Mans game for PSOne, didn't even realise it was by this company until a few months back though. Was nice how you could adjust revs and things even back in the day.

Hopefully NASCAR TGIL will get the same treatment at some point, despite a few issues at launch it really is a much better game than 11.

Haven´t followed the new Nascar game closely, but i love Nascar, so i wonder...

Any chance the game is more hardcore this time? I mean, like the old papyrus titles.

It´s such a niche title that i really don´t think it has that big of a market a casual sim. Might as well go ultra hardcore for the fans.

BTW, congrats on your work and thanks for sharing some tidbits with us!

Megasoum

Banned
Oh wow, I never realized it was Eutechnyx who made the last couple of Nascar games.

Any chance for a PC version of the next game? I remember watching the quicklook for Inside Line thinking it looked really interesting but my home setup makes it difficult to play with a steering wheel on my consoles so I always prefer pc when possible.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
I really hate the user interface for Dirt 2, is Dirt 3 anymore efficient?

It doesn't have the motorhome thing. Actually I would say that the frontend menu is probably the best thing about that game lol.

It's less dudebro and I don't think there's any wavy tube mans lol.

Exact, in fact I always called Dirt3 : Dirt1 V3.0, the interface looks like Dirt1 with the yellow and pyramids things, the Physics/controls/FFB are closer to Dirt1 too.

amar212

It would be great if it could be bought in Europe (PAL) but unfortunately it can't be. U

Another similar move by Activision I presume (I have no idea has it to do with their lack of trust about potential buyers or licensing, but whatever), same they did with N2011 game.

I am aware about issues with force feedback and some other hickups in N11 and I am really hoping how NTGIL will be available in PAL region ASAP for PS3, I am highly interested in that game but I can't find any viable way to order it from US to Croatia without insane costs.

Keep up the good work!

kafiend

It doesn't have the motorhome thing. Actually I would say that the frontend menu is probably the best thing about that game lol.

It's less dudebro and I don't think there's any wavy tube mans lol.

My wife says she knows when I'm playing Dirt 2 and not another racing game because I keep muttering STFU at it.

JamboGT

Hi Seattle, personally I think the game is more hardcore than the previous title, the tyre drop off is very noticeable and you end up having to deal with loss of grip over a run, looking after tyres is very important much like real life. Whilst it is a niche title to an extent the sales are over a wide demographic so we can't go as hardcore as some of us may like in order to keep it playable for less experienced players. One of our main handling guys is an ex iRacing champ so him and I tend to like things a little more extreme! It would be great to go all out though I don't know how realistic it is to expect to...

Hi Megasoum, hopefully we can have some news about that sometime soon, it is something many have asked for in the past.

Amar, we self published the PAL version of 11 on PSN (unfortunately not on XBL due to MS limitations on their XBL games afaik, don't quote me on that!) and I know we are hoping to do the same again with Inside Line so fingers crossed we get an announcement soon.

A couple of driving Oculus Rift video's have popped up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNR-UOUUNo&feature=player_embedded

And this one from The Verge. Racing gameplay starts at about 2:28 minute mark.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148440/oculus-rift-hawken-gdc-2013

Sadly, the second video has kind of confirmed what I had feared about the Rift. That being it has the potential to induce some serious motion sickness. I seem to be prone to this with the odd FPS. I'm hoping it will not be the case with the OR.

Hi Seattle, personally I think the game is more hardcore than the previous title, the tyre drop off is very noticeable and you end up having to deal with loss of grip over a run, looking after tyres is very important much like real life. Whilst it is a niche title to an extent the sales are over a wide demographic so we can't go as hardcore as some of us may like in order to keep it playable for less experienced players. One of our main handling guys is an ex iRacing champ so him and I tend to like things a little more extreme! It would be great to go all out though I don't know how realistic it is to expect to...

Hi Megasoum, hopefully we can have some news about that sometime soon, it is something many have asked for in the past.

Amar, we self published the PAL version of 11 on PSN (unfortunately not on XBL due to MS limitations on their XBL games afaik, don't quote me on that!) and I know we are hoping to do the same again with Inside Line so fingers crossed we get an announcement soon.

Good to hear and it´s definately a step in the right direction. It doesn´t have to be full sim to be enjoyable. I remember some old EA Nascar games that were not all that sim, but they were fun. Hopefully this is the same case.

ISR previews Reiza's Formula Truck sim. It looks like a complete blast to play.

http://youtu.be/7enrefb3PaQ

792152_10151492018242743_27763722_o.jpg

Didn't one of the toca games have trucks? What I'd do for a true current gen toca..

Yeah, a couple of them. I think 2 had actual big rigs, and 3 had these style of racing trucks.

I hear you, it was such a fun series. Nothing else has replicated that same grab-bag feeling of TOCA. It's unmatched in its variety of cars and tracks.

Shaneus

I was only posting because of the truck reference, but holy shit that's incredible. Are they modded in or are they an easter egg?

Shaneus

A couple of driving Oculus Rift video's have popped up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNR-UOUUNo&feature=player_embedded

And this one from The Verge. Racing gameplay starts at about 2:28 minute mark.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148440/oculus-rift-hawken-gdc-2013

Sadly, the second video has kind of confirmed what I had feared about the Rift. That being it has the potential to induce some serious motion sickness. I seem to be prone to this with the odd FPS. I'm hoping it will not be the case with the OR.
I haven't watched the second vid (it's taking *forever* to load) but if he was playing what they showed him playing at the start (a mech game), I guess it would be far worse than with a driving game, when you're just moving forward with only a small percentage of head movement being in any other direction.

I don't get motion sickness that badly though so I can't comment for people that do, but it seems like that would make sense. TBH, I don't think I'd bother with it at all for FPS games and such, but for driving games I think it'd be *perfect*. I can only hope that there's enough focus adjustment on them so I don't have to use my glasses with them at all. In fact, that's pretty much all I'm hoping for.

Edit: Looking good:
F1JYLww.png

Hopefully they can be adjusted as well, so you buy ones that are closest and finely tune them rather than just getting lenses that are the closest to your prescription.

Shaneus

It's far from a bad game (I quite enjoy it) so if you have the spare cash, it should definitely be bought (if only because it's not by Codemasters).

Shaneus

I may grab that. As for the F1 games go, F1 2011 is the one to get? How accessible is it and how's the career mode?
I'll requote as my post from earlier in the thread still applies :)

In the context of whether it makes a particular poster bad if they enjoyed 2012:

I just had a look, and saw there's still ~$10 difference between 2011 and 2012 on PC. In that case, I'd recommend 2011. Hard to recommend 2012 at a price more than $10 (and I felt that was the case when I bought it, let along a number of months after it's release).

I'd say it's more accessible even though it doesn't hand hold as much as 2012, the handling feels a lot more responsive in most aspects, too. Career mode is fine, it's nothing over-complicated... the RPG-ish elements (of a driver "making it through the ranks") are a lot less obtrusive as 2012, too. And I think they removed the ability to have a single player custom season as well. I remember bitching about something like that, but it was so long ago I can hardly remember.

I really wish every game had a hood cam, the view just in front of the windshield but the hood is visible. Cockpit views are awesome but for me, there is too much obstructing my view and since I'm already limiting my field of view to a television set, it's a little too much at times. When the hood cam doesn't exist, I usually have to choose between a bumper cam or a cam on the roof of the car and neither are quite right for me. I bring this up because this is the situation I find myself in with GT5. I could have swore earlier GT games had a hood cam but maybe they felt the cockpit cam replaced it. Maybe I'm missing an option?

edit: oops, 8 hour double post.

1-D_FTW

I really wish every game had a hood cam, the view just in front of the windshield but the hood is visible. Cockpit views are awesome but for me, there is too much obstructing my view and since I'm already limiting my field of view to a television set, it's a little too much at times. When the hood cam doesn't exist, I usually have to choose between a bumper cam or a cam on the roof of the car and neither are quite right for me. I bring this up because this is the situation I find myself in with GT5. I could have swore earlier GT games had a hood cam but maybe they felt the cockpit cam replaced it. Maybe I'm missing an option?

edit: oops, 8 hour double post.

Most serious sims on PC will allow you to adjust the seat position and FOV. So you can get really great cockpit views.

Codemaster games are notoriously awful in that regard. Probably because they lock things down to limit how much has to be drawn in the console versions. It's also funny they then bring up stats about how little people use cockpit view (hmm... maybe because your cockpit views are unholy abominations?) Long rant aside, I'm not aware of any Codemaster games where you can't get mods that give you quality cockpit modes. It does require some hunting down though.

And with regard to GT5, are you moving the seat positions (or whatever they call it)? They at least give you multiple choices in settings and there's one that's actually pretty decent for a console game. GT5 is much better than most console games in that regard.

You know what, I saw that option switched it to the medium zoom level and still didn't like the result but never went back to try the highest zoom setting. I'll give that another shot. I think I'd still prefer a hood cam but the zoomed in cock pit maybe the best alternative if the FOV isn't too limited.

1-D_FTW

Finished my cockpit/desk last week.

First off, the colors aren't that orange. Not sure what the camera did to things. The darker "orange", for instance, was called brick red and if there's not enough light, almost borders on rose. Not sure why things are so bright and off-color.

Here's my set-up in unassuming desk mode:

It takes five seconds to transform into a standing desk (just slide in one tray, slide out the other, and move up the monitor):

Here I've rolled out the cockpit from underneath the desk:

Here it is with the cover off:

I orignally was using things like bolts for the steering column and seats, but the low tech routes proved superior:

And here it is rolled into the desk and ready for racing:

Ravenn17

What do you guys think of the SRW-S1? I've read online that there are mods available that allow you to mount it to a G27. Are all the buttons/rotaries mappable?

Top Bottom