• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

Side question: How are you finding using it as a standing desk? I'm looking at doing something at home and work and definitely love how you've managed to make them both work on the same desk.

I remember seeing a similar wheel setup in the self-contained ottoman thing somewhere else (probably posted on here)... you've pulled it off perfectly too. VERY impressed!

1-D_FTW

Side question: How are you finding using it as a standing desk? I'm looking at doing something at home and work and definitely love how you've managed to make them both work on the same desk.

I remember seeing a similar wheel setup in the self-contained ottoman thing somewhere else (probably posted on here)... you've pulled it off perfectly too. VERY impressed!

I like the standing desk especially if I'm working on the computer after eating. Nice to stand for a couple hours in those circumstances.

Definitely was inspired by the ottoman that was posted on gaf.

Getting the heights correct was kind of a PITA. Took me a number of adjustments. The first go had the bottom screen too low and the top too high. It's proper ergonomics for both now (although it's not really adjustable for anyone who isn't my height).

Three60

30jbHFf.jpg

CSS Feature Preview #4

Congratulations, most of you precisely guessed what's behind the previously showcased feature, good job!
This week, we are happy to present yet another beneficial characteristic of our ClubSport Shifter.
Thanks to its design, you will be able to change the knobs according to your own personal taste. Not only will you be able to give your shifter the perfect look but you will also be able to customize it to your exact driving preferences.

Which knob's your favorite?

EDIT:

What would a ClubSport product without customizing options? Exactly, it would not be worth the ClubSport brand.

Therefore you can easily exchange the shifter knobs and use the style you like. A longer one for sequential fun or a round one which fits well into your hands. carbon, öeather, metal and whatever colour you want.

There will be a few options directly from us but the CSS is compatible to most automotive shifter knobs so the options are almost endless.

What is your favourite style? (Count the left shifter without knob as #1)

^ Sequential mode confirmed..

TJP

Today Simraceway allows the free test of the F1 McLaren Mercedes MP4-26, and here I leave you a video giving two laps in Silverstone.
Simraceway is a quality product that few talk about and even less have tried. For me it is how other free to play sims should be - a lot of road and race cars with a bunch free tracks with most being real world circuits. Like RR-RE, the only disappointing aspect is some of the car prices are crazily high.

Not only are the free to driev days available, there are competitions to win the SRW wheel too.

paskowitz

Simraceway is a quality product that few talk about and even less have tried. For me it is how other free to play sims should be - a lot of road and race cars with a bunch free tracks with most being real world circuits. Like RR-RE, the only disappointing aspect is some of the car prices are crazily high.

Not only are the free to driev days available, there are competitions to win the SRW wheel too.

I think 80% of the cars are very reasonably priced. It is just the pricing scheme that is kinda whack. Personally I find most cars are simply too twitchy and hard to oversteer.

I keep meaning to give it a go. I think my initial skepticism probably clouded my interest. I don't have a problem with how they're doing things over there though. It looks fun, and it probably is.

Speaking of fun, I've been playing the Formula Truck pre-order beta, and it's a riot. I don't think I've ever had a harder time coming to grips with the driving dynamics of a vehicle before! Braking distances are impossibly long, cornering speeds shockingly low. 10,000 pounds of truck is unlike anything I've ever driven. For example, because all the weight is at the front, any steering input under braking (mostly the first half of the zone) sends the truck penduluming towards the corner. It definitely took a bunch of laps to get my head around it. It's a really fun challenge though, and should appeal to you if think you've sort of seen it all.

Once you get going, it races really, really well. Plus the horn, got to love the horn!

Quick and ugly video I did at Autodromo Floripa which has already been ported over from GSC.

http://youtu.be/U_3eKeul-f8

Shaneus

Is that Formula Truck the one from the guys who did GSC? Does it have any official endorsements?

PS. How much? Can't check from work :/

PPS. Any word on that Ayrton Senna game they were working on?

Is that Formula Truck the one from the guys who did GSC? Does it have any official endorsements?

PS. How much? Can't check from work :/

PPS. Any word on that Ayrton Senna game they were working on?

Yep, Reiza Studios. It's officially endorsed by Fórmula Truck.

http://www.gameformulatruck.com/en/

The full release should be any day now. $25 USD.

PS. This is not unlike the first corner I came to :) http://youtu.be/1oqHhqS9AIk

Haven't seen hidenorhair of the Senna sim. Somebody else might know more though.

Shaneus

One thing I noticed about your video, is just how accurate the incident was at the end. No overblown airtime or physics, it's exactly like what you'd expect to happen IRL (almost... some bits looked like the truck should have more weight, but the way the other truck spun was basically bang-on).

PS. What the hell happened to that truck? I don't think I've seen any vehicle go that fast right into (and through) a wall. Horrifying.

TJP

Reiza have no doubt been trying to finish their Formula Truck sim before moving onto the Senna title. Personally, I like the way Reiza do things as well here about the Senna game closer to a beta release. It is just a shame more people don't buy their fantastic products; sadly GSC remains dead online outside of league racing and thus I don't have high hopes for their Truck sim despite rave reviews about the current pre-release version.

As for Simraceway, I think it's rather good and worth trying.

One thing I noticed about your video, is just how accurate the incident was at the end. No overblown airtime or physics, it's exactly like what you'd expect to happen IRL (almost... some bits looked like the truck should have more weight, but the way the other truck spun was basically bang-on).

PS. What the hell happened to that truck? I don't think I've seen any vehicle go that fast right into (and through) a wall. Horrifying.

I had damage off too. I'm not sure if there's a visual difference with it on, or not. Haven't tried yet.

The whole thing is very convincing. The illusion is surely aided by the uniqueness of the physics, terrific audio, and your PoV which is probably 8 feet off the deck. You really do feel like you're driving a giant truck. From watching some youtube videos of the actual racing series, it seems bang-on in just about every way.

RE: video - brake failure apparently. Could even have been a stuck throttle. The game has these types of failures too, as well as blown tires and regular mechanicals.

Three60

vsWoARV.jpg

CSS Feature Preview #5

Thanks for sharing your favorite knobs with us, we’ve made a note of those! Just to clear any doubts, the shifter features a standard mount for “real knobs”, so any of your preferences will fit!

But enough of the knobs, it is time to release the last (much anticipated) feature of our ClubSport Shifter.

You hoped for it, you wished it and we? We made it!
The ClubSport Shifter features a sequential mode as well as an H-Pattern mode. You can switch to the mode of your choice without having to unplug or reboot the shifter, without having to remove the knob and even without needing a tool. Plus, the sequential mode is compatible with all our Fanatec racing wheels. How cool is that?

Stay tuned as we have something special coming up for you.

This feature of the ClubSport shifter is probably the most anticipated one. We have implemented a proper sequential mode.

It is not a cheap compromise which was requested by the marketing department to fill up the feature list but an authentic sequential mode with strong haptic feedback and the correct movements. The technical effort to do this was huge and it is one of the reasons for the long development time.

It is also not very useful to have such a mode and force the user to use tools and disassemble half of the shifter so we made it easy and added a switch on both sides so you can quickly change between the modes.

I know that you still miss price and an availability date but come on. If a new car appears, the first thing you see are prototype pictures "leak" accidentially. Then the car is shown on official pictures or a car show and what is the very last thing they tell you? Wink

The next teaser will be a video with some shifting action.

Shaneus

Worth it? I'm not at home so I'll have to wait until tonight to try it out, but I'm definitely curious.

And is that cheaper than the preorder price? From memory it's the same, but I can't quite recall.

Worth it? I'm not at home so I'll have to wait until tonight to try it out, but I'm definitely curious.

And is that cheaper than the preorder price? From memory it's the same, but I can't quite recall.

Worth it? Depends on what you're looking for, right?

As a wholly unique sim experience that drives and races wonderfully, it's top shelf. Physics - great, FFB - great, AI - great, tracks - great, truck models - great, PC performance - great, fun - great.

All of that said, will it have a huge online community? No. Will it have a huge mod community? No. Does it offer much variety? No. Is the whole package fundamentally different than GSC or rFactor of which it's based? No.

OK, so it probably won't have the longest tail, but for short term fun it's a blast to play. It's just really fun racing these nutty trucks. Give the demo a shot, and spend the time just learning how to drive the beast.

Protips:

- The trucks understeer like you wouldn't believe when you enter a corner too fast. Slow down, brake earlier. Oversteer on exit.

- You may be first drawn to Interlagos because you know the layout, but it's actually a hinderance because the braking distances and cornering speeds are so different in a truck that it takes a long time to unlearn what you think you know.

- Try increasing the steering ratio in the setup to make it quicker. I think I'm up near 30.

Shaneus

Just looking for something different... I'm not necessarily looking for longevity as far as mods or online racing goes (I actually prefer racing by myself or against leaderboards than actually against people. Most of the time, anyway) just something that provides a unique experience. I think truck racing in itself is unique, so I guess all it needs to be is of high quality (which, being from Reiza, I guess is a given).

Just looking for something different... I'm not necessarily looking for longevity as far as mods or online racing goes (I actually prefer racing by myself or against leaderboards than actually against people. Most of the time, anyway) just something that provides a unique experience. I think truck racing in itself is unique, so I guess all it needs to be is of high quality (which, being from Reiza, I guess is a given).

Yeah, yeah. For me, the uniqueness is a certainly a big slice of it. It's not complete chalk and cheese mind you, but it requires some figuring out which, to me at least, is the fun part.

bee

not really that interesting, same old same old. price whine is fairly laughable, i don't know anyone that pays full price for it, wait for deals and its roughly £60 to sub for 2 years, oh the sky high price!

1-D_FTW

Well that's something iRacing definitely needed. I swear they used to have engine sounds on like a 3 second loop or something. Because I was certain I could hear the loop resetting itself at constant RPMs.

1-D_FTW

That review is absolutely right about the physics on road cars and overall that was a really good review.

Agreed. I know rfactor 2 gets some (rightly) deserved criticism for handling poorly when driving close to the edge, but iracing is the king of forcing mechanical, deliberate driving. I'm sure you acclimate quickly enough if you play nothing else, but this is always my issue (especially when then switching to a different racer). The physics are just not very realistic. Hard, yes. Realistic? No way.

Not disputing it's not the king of online though. Nothing comes close in that department.

It is trully a magnificent seat, I am lucky to have both CSL and its predeccessor. If you are interested here is the review I did for the GTPlanet few weeks ago.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=274349

Pulled the trigger on the CSL seat today. Got some rough measurements of some of the components in the iRacing forums and it looks like it will pull up to my desk nicely.

I have only recently returned to PC Sim Racing and have just been playing iRacing, but is that live delta time tool unique to iRacing? Holy shit that is the most useful tool I have ever seen in a racing game. It should be an absolute must for all racing games, at the very least in a practice mode so you can improve your lap times.

1-D_FTW

Holy shit that is the most useful tool I have ever seen in a racing game. It should be an absolute must for all racing games, at the very least in a practice mode so you can improve your lap times.

Pretty sure the live delta times are available in the DashMeterPro app for all the various sims. I think.

Obviously the app costs money though. And I believe it's Android only.

Pretty sure the live delta times are available in the DashMeterPro app for all the various sims. I think.

Obviously the app costs money though. And I believe it's Android only.

Having the real time data overlay on the screen is key. My periphrial vision picks up the red and green bar and I can tell how my alternate line or braking point is playing out in real time. My race craft desperately needed something like this. I have been long over due from sitting down and actually analyzing some of the bad habits I formed.

I am enjoying the competitive aspect of iRacing, I wish it wasn't so expensive and I guess I haven't run into the road coarse issues the review mentioned yet. Still in the rookie MX5 series but having fun.

Edit: I also fucking hate oval racing which doesn't help with the cost of playing iRacing. I tried it again last night but I just find no joy in the techniques required to be successful on ovals. It is thrilling in a pack but it just doesn't satisfy my desire to race the way a road coarse does.

Edit2: Oh, that iRacing review is just a user review? Hmm, not sure how much weight I can give to the road car comments. So far I am finding them enjoyable. I might have to splurge on the McLaren (I love that car anyway) and see if it is as hard to drive as he makes it out. That would help give me a point of reference. Otherwise, I am not sure why this review should have any more weight over another user review. Is this guy well known in the sim community?

The delta timer is one of my favorite parts of iRacing. So good. Some other sims (pCARS comes to mind) offer sector times with green/red notifications, but it's nigh impossible to read other than to use your periphery to see the color.

Three60

Three-time Porsche Supercup Winner René Rast presents our ClubSport Shifter! The professional driver hits the simracing tracks, shifting gears with our CSS. “The ClubSport Shifter made so much fun for me, really! It is really cool. The shifter really convinced me.” You don't wanna miss this! Have a look, at our ClubSport Shifter video featuring professional race car driver, René Rast :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SZWgt3xHnTo

EDIT:

If you look closely you can barely see new Porsche 918RSR wheel rim for CSW, its blurred at 0:54 (1:06), and behind Rene at 0:58..

391ut8C.jpg

^ Beautiful

Business

Having the real time data overlay on the screen is key. My periphrial vision picks up the red and green bar and I can tell how my alternate line or braking point is playing out in real time. My race craft desperately needed something like this. I have been long over due from sitting down and actually analyzing some of the bad habits I formed.

The delta timer is one of my favorite parts of iRacing. So good. Some other sims (pCARS comes to mind) offer sector times with green/red notifications, but it's nigh impossible to read other than to use your periphery to see the color.

I agree the delta timer is very useful, it for example let's you see things like how is better to exit corners how you keep gaining or losing in the straight, which is very useful. At times it makes me nervous too if I see I'm green I'll screw up the lap or just be too conservative to keep it green at all costs and ending up doing worst than I could. All in all a great tool though.

Arucardo

It's more of a click than a clunk (seemingly less clunk than a TH8RS if I'd guess), but it seems pretty nice nevertheless. Sick-ass rim though.

I love the clunk of the TH8 :p .

Also, judging by that video the range on that Fanatec shifter isn't as bad as I expected, it seems to be about right, especially for fast shifting.

Top Bottom